Patriots @ Titans REPORT CARD

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

Re: Patriots @ Titans REPORT CARD

In response to TexasPat's comment:

To those of you who think that I'm being too harsh in giving Brady a "B-" grade...we have to agree to  disagree. Y'all are acrting as if I gave him an "F". An "A" grade indicates an excellent game, a "B+" means a very good game...a "B" means a good game...a "B-" means a fairly good game...a "C+" indicates that the play was a bit better than fair...a "C" means a fair game...and so on.

A "B-" to me seemed spot on. Tom didn't have one of his better games...though he wasn't bad. It was clear that Brady was hearing foot-steps from the get-go, and made some very poor throws, early on. His OL was unable to protect him during the pre-season...and had difficulties protecting him yesterday. Judging by his rushed throws and happy-feet, Tom doesn't appear to have much confidence in his OL...and particularly in his LT, to protect him. It clearly affected his play yesterday. Against the better teams, Tom can ill afford to miss wide-open receivers. The coaches picked up on it, too...as they adjusted the game plan, and started running the ball more. 

As for the play of the OL, I credited them for their run blocking. BUT...JOB ONE for them is to protect Brady on pass plays. Nate Solder was awful again in pass protection. His poor play is a major concern. A QB must develop great faith in his LT to protect his blind side. Tom had faith in Matt Light...but clearly doesn't have the same faith in Solder. The result is happy feet, and rushed throws.

BB and coach Scarnecchia must fix the problem with Solder. The kid has the physical talent...but needs lots of work on his technique, and his foot-work. Keep in mind that Solder is relatively inexperienced at OT. In college, he was a converted TE. With hard work, I believe that he'll develop into a good player. But, he's clearly not there yet.  

TP: I have no issues with your grade for Brady. I do have an issue with your explanation..Specifically.."  Two plays later, Brady missed an open Welker on a crossing pattern...throwing the ball slightly behind him, and hitting Wes in his face-mask. "

I watched the replay (was on a plane during the game and could not watch it live) and noticed that Brady's pass actually went THROUGH Welker's hands and hit his face mask. That was all on WW and not on Brady.

This small inconsistency notwithstanding, I like your overall report. Thanks for consistently churning this out...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Hey Pat,

Once again nice job on the report card.

My general imressions of the team were; Winning on the road is always a good start to what looks to be another very promising season of football in Foxboro.

The Defense; Hard to argue with 13 points allowed on the road...Overall the defense looks much improved over last year with the caviat of some spotty corner play. Which begs the question of was it the sceme or personnel?...With the additions of Jones and Hightower we have the look of a very athletic front seven, when teamed with Mayo, Nicovich and Cunninham on the outside. The young guns (Hightower and Jones) showed up to play! One game does not a career or season make, both showed the promise of more. Inside I thought that Love looked very solid and took advantage of the space given due to the double teaming of Wilfork, who along with Spikes gives us some beef up the middle. Add Chung into the mix and we're going to be tough to run on. While we did get some pressure on the QB without the need to blitz, my guess is that given the focus on taking away the Titans running game and Locker's mobility. That the ends had to stay lane disiplined with the corners playing off the recievers, which led to a few big plays for the Titams...I would suspect that we'll see the pass rush improve (code for pressure on the QB) and more press coverages on the outside with the safties playing over the top allowing the corners play up. Where maintaining lane disipline is less important, when we play teams with less athletic quarterbacks.

The Offense;  Looks scary good. The addition of Llyod is a huge upgrade over any and all of our outside guys since Moss...Re; the errant throw/mis play by Llyod. It's kind of a good news, bad news proposition. Yes Brady made a poor throw and yes Llyod erred in making an in route adjustment on the ball..Which cost the team and easy 7, that's the bad news. The good news is that every safety and defensive coordinator in the NFL was put on notice. When playing the Patriots of New England "you now have to defend the entire field". Which should open up the underneath routes for Welker, Hernandez and Gronk...Oh by the way if that's not scary enough...was that an actual running game I saw or a mirage? the kid Ridley ran hard and showed some giddy up too...the O-line (a cause for concern?) did a decent enough job keeping Brady clean and opening up lanes for Ridley. I'd say they're a work in progress. End of the day if we run the ball like we did on Sunday, adding play action to what is already a pretty complex offense and the scare factor just went in the Freddie Zone...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Team Stat Comparison   NE   TEN   1st Downs 25 16 Passing 1st downs 12 13 Rushing 1st downs 13 1 1st downs from Penalties 0 2 3rd down efficiency 6-12 5-14 4th down efficiency 0-0 1-2 Total Plays 67 61 Total Yards 390 284 Yards per play 5.8 4.7 Total Drives 10 11 Passing 228 264 Comp - Att 23-31 29-43 Yards per pass 7.4 6.1 Interceptions thrown 0 1 Sacks - Yards Lost 1-8 2-8 Rushing 162 20 Rushing Attempts 35 16 Yards per rush 4.6 1.3 Red Zone (Made-Att) 2-4 0-2 Penalties 3-20 3-30 Turnovers 0 2 Fumbles lost 0 1 Interceptions thrown 0 1 Defensive / Special Teams TDs 1 0 Possession 31:01 28:59

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to PatFanInBA2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

To those of you who think that I'm being too harsh in giving Brady a "B-" grade...we have to agree to  disagree. Y'all are acrting as if I gave him an "F". An "A" grade indicates an excellent game, a "B+" means a very good game...a "B" means a good game...a "B-" means a fairly good game...a "C+" indicates that the play was a bit better than fair...a "C" means a fair game...and so on.

A "B-" to me seemed spot on. Tom didn't have one of his better games...though he wasn't bad. It was clear that Brady was hearing foot-steps from the get-go, and made some very poor throws, early on. His OL was unable to protect him during the pre-season...and had difficulties protecting him yesterday. Judging by his rushed throws and happy-feet, Tom doesn't appear to have much confidence in his OL...and particularly in his LT, to protect him. It clearly affected his play yesterday. Against the better teams, Tom can ill afford to miss wide-open receivers. The coaches picked up on it, too...as they adjusted the game plan, and started running the ball more. 

As for the play of the OL, I credited them for their run blocking. BUT...JOB ONE for them is to protect Brady on pass plays. Nate Solder was awful again in pass protection. His poor play is a major concern. A QB must develop great faith in his LT to protect his blind side. Tom had faith in Matt Light...but clearly doesn't have the same faith in Solder. The result is happy feet, and rushed throws.

BB and coach Scarnecchia must fix the problem with Solder. The kid has the physical talent...but needs lots of work on his technique, and his foot-work. Keep in mind that Solder is relatively inexperienced at OT. In college, he was a converted TE. With hard work, I believe that he'll develop into a good player. But, he's clearly not there yet.  

TP: I have no issues with your grade for Brady. I do have an issue with your explanation..Specifically.."  Two plays later, Brady missed an open Welker on a crossing pattern...throwing the ball slightly behind him, and hitting Wes in his face-mask. "

I watched the replay (was on a plane during the game and could not watch it live) and noticed that Brady's pass actually went THROUGH Welker's hands and hit his face mask. That was all on WW and not on Brady.

This small inconsistency notwithstanding, I like your overall report. Thanks for consistently churning this out... 

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the feed-back. You may be right. I'll check out that Welker play again on replay.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

I agree with most of your assessment...good stuff.

You mentioned the call on the Edleman pass being "the only bad call"....where I agree and it appeared to me that he scooped that ball off the ground for a reception.

But if we are talking about botched calls....you have to admit the worst call of the entire game was the gift we got when McCourty mugged the Titans receiver in the endzone. That was bad.

I agree that Solder is far from polished, but other than the sack on TB, I think he did enough to get by. I think he'll be good eventually....hopefully they can game plan around his learning curve.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to tanbass's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agree with most of your assessment...good stuff.

You mentioned the call on the Edleman pass being "the only bad call"....where I agree and it appeared to me that he scooped that ball off the ground for a reception.

But if we are talking about botched calls....you have to admit the worst call of the entire game was the gift we got when McCourty mugged the Titans receiver in the endzone. That was bad.

RESPONSE: I disagree that McCourty "mugged the Titans' receiver". PI is called far too often...and shouldn't be called unless the interference is blantant. Titans'  TE Jared Cook is also complaining that Patrick Chung interfered with him in the end-zone. PI is kind of like holding. It can be called on almost every pass play.  

I agree that Solder is far from polished, but other than the sack on TB, I think he did enough to get by. I think he'll be good eventually....hopefully they can game plan around his learning curve.

RESPONSE: How good an OL performs is not a mere function of how many sacks it gives up. QB hits, and QB pressures have to be considered, too. Brady seemed to be rushing his throws from the get go. This was the result of him having little confidence in his OL, and because he was being pressured.   

/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I thought you were a little hard on TB. Lloyd needs to run that route through that one wasn't all on TB. Devin's play was very average but the worst play by the secondary was Arrington getting beat badly on a 4th & 10, that can't happen against subpar passing team. TB  I thought deserved an A-, the secondary a C+.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

I thought you were a little hard on TB. Lloyd needs to run that route through that one wasn't all on TB. Devin's play was very average but the worst play by the secondary was Arrington getting beat badly on a 4th & 10, that can't happen against subpar passing team. TB  I thought deserved an A-, the secondary a C+.

Sorry...not buying that Lloyd didn't run his pattern right. Brady made a poor throw...pure and simple.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

Sorry...not buying that Lloyd didn't run his pattern right. Brady made a poor throw...pure and simple.  

[/QUOTE]
    Yeah I'm kind of in the minority here, but I agree with you. If a guy is open by twenty yards...all you have to do is get it within 5 yards to the sides or front/back of him for a completion...he didn't. He's still the best QB in the league and made more than enough plays on his way to a 117 QB rating Sunday, but he missed that one. Lloyd also bailed him out a bit on that sideline pass...it looked like it was a little too ahead of him, but he made a heck of a catch. I can see the two of them hooking up for 80-100 catches this year. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

I am going to agree with TexasPat on this one. I think a B- for TB12 is accurate. Dont forget some of the passes he did complete were still bad throws. Think the completion to Gronk that he caught at his ankles although wide open, the acrobatic catch by Lloyd on the sidelines although he was also open. I think the OL still has a long way to go. All in all a good game and looking forward to more!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Yeah I'm kind of in the minority here, but I agree with you. If a guy is open by twenty yards...all you have to do is get it within 5 yards to the sides or front/back of him for a completion...he didn't. He's still the best QB in the league and made more than enough plays on his way to a 117 QB rating Sunday, but he missed that one. Lloyd also bailed him out a bit on that sideline pass...it looked like it was a little too ahead of him, but he made a heck of a catch. I can see the two of them hooking up for 80-100 catches this year. 

[/QUOTE]

interesting several of you here are aslo pointing out what i saw. now i was watchign on streaming and it was very crappy, even so, i saw the lloyd td throw that brady threw the ball behind lloyd. when you are running in one direction (trajectory) and the ball is in another, its near impossible to shift and make that happen. a i said in the game thread, humins are not hummingbirds. 

on the game thread everyone who responded disagreed with victriol, outrage and disparagement (well one didnt go into attack mode).

i also note on several sports shows the evaluation of that play was given the same conclusion, the ball was in a different direction than lloyd was running (ie behind him). 

again, only saw it once, adn crappy qulaity, but if i saw it right, if you ever played wr you know what im talking about. its near impossible to change trajectory of your run, expecially a trajectoury behind you.

i also noted as several of yo do here, that several of bradys throws were aberrent, especially low. and what i picked up was that he had a case of teh yips (nervousness0 during that period of the game). he looked that way as well. till later he seemed to calm down. 

those who translate what is not said into something to rail against, i did not say that brady had a bad game, or anything of the sort.

just a comment on teh firt lloyd throw and seveal short balls.

great game all around.

id still like to pick up a fa starting cb for the playoff run (to have a better chance against elite passers/receiver combos-er even aginst good ones). someone better than those we have now (a la finnegan picked up in fa last year).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hey Pat,

I agree it was a poorly thrown ball. My guess is that Tom Brady himself would agree...but it was also a catchable ball, had Llyod made the correct route adjustment while the ball was in flight. Which clearly he didn't, I would also venture a guess that Brandon would say as much as well.

Not sure what the fuss is...

As I stated above it's a good news, bad news proposition. Yes they missed an opportunity to put 7 on the board, but it showed that the Pat's now have a legit deep threat. One that the opposing safties and defensive coordinators will have to respect when game planning for the Patriots. Meaning that whichever side of the field Llyod lines up on. The safety to that side, will have to keep one eye on him and play 20 yards off the line. Which opens up the underneath routes and bubble screens for Welker, Gronk and Hernandez,  it also makes running the ball to that side a bit easier too. Because if the safety comes down in the box Brady can then look to go deep.

Yes it was a poor throw, yes it was a catchable ball, the best part of the none play is that it is on film and every d-coordinator in the game will now have too protect against the deep ball something that they didn't have to do last year. Which is a good thing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

I see the argument over the Brady/Lloyd missed pass is still going on. Their first real game together. Lloyd's first in a pats uniform. It's only a little hiccup that will improve as they get more games behind them. That said I'm hoping all the little miscues are worked out by week 3 when we see the Ravens.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Pats' fans get so irked whenever Brady is criticized. But, when a guy is labeled as "elite", and one of the best, if not the best QB of all-time, more is expected. Sorry you homers...but I watched that play several times now on NFL Replay...and the incompletion had nothing to do with Lloyd breaking off his route early, or a closing safety getting in the way. It was just a poor throw by Brady...reminiscent of the poor throw he made to Wes Welker in the closing minutes of the SB 46 loss to the Giants.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to DelGriffith's comment:

Also, an error I noticed:

It was Tavon Wilson (very good 1st game) who popped Washington with that texbtook hit and the incorrect ruling on the fumble, not Mayo.

You noticed wrong. While it's true that Tavon Wilson made the initial contact on that Nate Washington drop, it was Mayo's subsequent thunderous hit that actually separated Washington from the ball. I suggest you watch a replay of that play.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

While we're on the subject, apologies to Devin McCourty. I had written in my Report Card under the SECONDARY segment that he was beaten on that first quarter Titans' 4th and one pass, from Jake Locker to WR Nate Washington. Actually, it was Kyle Arrington who was beaten in coverage on that play.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

Good report TP.

I think we all need to remember that this was Solder first ever start at LT. If were grading Brady on a scale of being elite and he recieves a B grade (which is appropriate). Then we need to grade Solder as a first start at LT. We have been spoiled over the past 10 years of watching one of the most under rated LT's in the game. So he gave up a few hurries, but that sack was Brady's fault too because he never threw it away. It wasn't a bad play because it was 3rd down and we were punting anyway. I thought Solder and brady should both recieve a B grade based on a curve. If we compared Brady to other QB's it was a A performance and if we compared Solder to other LT's it was a C. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to maine12's comment:

Good report TP.

I think we all need to remember that this was Solder first ever start at LT. If were grading Brady on a scale of being elite and he recieves a B grade (which is appropriate). Then we need to grade Solder as a first start at LT. We have been spoiled over the past 10 years of watching one of the most under rated LT's in the game. So he gave up a few hurries, but that sack was Brady's fault too because he never threw it away. It wasn't a bad play because it was 3rd down and we were punting anyway. I thought Solder and brady should both recieve a B grade based on a curve. If we compared Brady to other QB's it was a A performance and if we compared Solder to other LT's it was a C. 

I don't grade on a curve. Solder currently has issues in pass protection. His technique needs  lots of works. That said, he is a young, and relatively inexperienced LT. I believe that he'll improve as the season wears on. I only hope that Tom Brady survives, as Solder goes through his growing pains.

As for Brady, he needs to make better long throws. Deep passing has never been his strong suit.

Frankly, I was more bothered with Tom rushing his throws on short passes, than I was with that Lloyd play. There was a short pass that Gronk bailed him out on, that Brady threw low...and there was that horrid throw on that flanker screen to Edelman. Had Brady delived a decent ball on that play, Edelman likely would have scored.    

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]

Two plays later, Brady missed an open Welker on a crossing pattern...throwing the ball slightly behind him, and hitting Wes in his face-mask.

[/QUOTE]

One of my favorite lines ever.  It's too bad Wes' face was behind...uh Wes or that might have been a good throw.  Maybe the Patriots can find a receiver who has his face placed squarely between and on top of his shoulders next year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

[QUOTE]

RESPONSE: I disagree that McCourty "mugged the Titans' receiver". PI is called far too often...and shouldn't be called unless the interference is blantant. Titans'  TE Jared Cook is also complaining that Patrick Chung interfered with him in the end-zone. PI is kind of like holding. It can be called on almost every pass play.  

[/QUOTE]

Guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one. Watch that play again...McCourty hit him way before the ball was there....blatant PI. I'm glad the non-call went our way....but not sure how anyone could not think that wasn't a penalty all day long.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[/QUOTE]

One of my favorite lines ever.  It's too bad Wes' face was behind...uh Wes or that might have been a good throw.  Maybe the Patriots can find a receiver who has his face placed squarely between and on top of his shoulders next year.

Yawn. Sounds like you've been hit in the face-mask with passes a few times in your life-time...LOL!!! 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

TP was complaining about Borges' methods in another thread, yet he clearly knows the value of stirring the pot to get reaction. 

With TP its not about consistency but rather about who's delivering the message.

And just like those pot stirring columnists, he's quick to disregard those who are critical of his commentary.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to UD6's comment:
    [QUOTE]

TP was complaining about Borges' methods in another thread, yet he clearly knows the value of stirring the pot to get reaction. 

With TP its not about consistency but rather about who's delivering the message.

And just like those pot stirring columnists, he's quick to disregard those who are critical of his commentary.

[/QUOTE]

Evidently Dog(ggggg), you're still smarting over all those whoopins' I've given you over the years on this forum. It's really funny...no matter how many times I swat you with a roll of newspaper, you keep coming back for more. 

LOL!!!!  

Sections
Shortcuts