Patriots basically have 3 rookies right now....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tamayo2431. Show tamayo2431's posts

Patriots basically have 3 rookies right now....

I think you can consider T.McKenzie, B.Tate and S.Crable(double red shirted lol) as rookies for this upcoming season. McKenzie and Tate had injuries that limited them to almost no practice or game time. Crable had another mystery injury and quick IR placement. Seeing that Mayo will hold down one ILB position and Guyton/Mckenzie could hold down the other, aren't we pretty much set at ILB? It seems to be a luxury to go after another ILB with the 1st rd pick considering there are 3 on the roster who have 2 years or less (meaning young as heck and hopefully will only get better). This is the make or break year for Crable and heck, he might show he was worth waiting for so long.

What I'm trying to say is that I don't see the need to draft more than 1 OLB or 1 ILB with our top 4 picks. Unless an insane talent like Spikes or McClain drop, the Pats dont have the luxury of taking yet another ILB. Keep in mind, only half the time was the defense in the base 3-4, meaning that 2 ILB were not on teh field at the same time very often. I agree pass rush is a big need and therefore the Pats need to draft an OLB for sure with one of the top 2 picks.

Bottom line is that there are so many needs on this team, from DL, OL, WR, RB and OLB (and CB if Bodden doesn't resign!) that I think taking an ILB is a luxury that cannot be afforded.

Treak McKenzie as if he was a rookie this year and let him prove his worth as the primary backup ILB. Tate is pretty much a rookie and might be the solution in the KR department. He can also develop into a solid 2nd or 3rd WR. BB probably realizes that this is Crable's year to prove if he has any value, and we must wait to see if he proves to be a decent player or not. For goodness sake, he has the size and speed, hopefully he has the smarts and has grasped this defense.

Comment away guys.....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Re: Patriots basically have 3 rookies right now....

Crable will suffer a season ending injury during mini camp.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

I'm excited to see these guys play this year. I have been pumped to see Crable play the last two years, but the guy is always getting hurt. It makes me wonder if they were freak injuries or if he just isn't durable enough for the NFL. I hope he makes it through training camp this year, but I'm just not sure.

Tate had played a few games, but it was obvious he had a little trouble with the routes and timing with Brady. That's to be expected and I don't think what we saw of him was much of a preview or what's to come. I think he'll be a great pickup.

McKenzie looks promising and I'm sure he'll get someplaying time from the get go, especially with the lack of depth at LB. These players are rookies in the sense that they haven't played much with the team, especially Crable and McKenzie. What they have over the coming rookies is knowledge of the system, the coaches, and the players. It'll be an exciting year. The Pats have a lot of picks we'll get to see develop, and these players just add to that. This team is certainly built for the future.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

didnt they already put Crable on IR for next season?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

McKenzie can be the next Mayo from what know about his play in college. he should be solid

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots basically have 3 rookies right now....:
    Crable will suffer a season ending injury during mini camp.
    Posted by Tcal2
    He won't even make it through the OTA's..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

True, plus 4 picks in the first 2 rounds, this team can reload fast.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I'll go with Tate and McKenzie.  If I read any threads crowning Crable as an answer to anything, I'll be tempted to jump off the Golden Gate Bridge dressed as Elvis.  

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I'm glad you guys see it the way I do. I think they IR'd Crable because he couldn't play. If he were good we'd be hearing positive things about him in training camp and in the pre-season games. If he could help the team then they probably wouldn't IR him for a bruised funny bone. I wouldn't call Mac the next Mayo. Mayo was a top 10 pick, Mac was a third round pick who missed his rookie year after a tough injury. It'd be great if he could contribute, but you never know.

Instead of hoping for these injured guys to become Willie McGuinest, I would hope that the rookies improve in their second year. In particular, I think Chung and Butler could improve a lot. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jason4444444. Show Jason4444444's posts

My thought on all three of these players is that if any of them pan out it would great but not one of these guys can be depended on at this point. I write this when I really want to say that all three are going to be All-pro players but realistically these are players that have a lot to prove (especially Crable) and no matter how many you tube videos I watch on them, there is no one to tell how or even if the will ever contribute to this team.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

shawn crable is nothing... mckenzie and tate have a high ceiling for improvement and could be studs in their respective positions in time.  tate was an improvement at KR last year and he is a playmaker (first nfl touch was and 11 yard end around)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

~I remember that I pretty much hated ALL the selections from the 2008 Draft Class...except for, the 1 single player I had hoped that Patriots would nab: Shawn Crable.  Boy, did I nail that one good (lmao)...  I recall that the 1 biggest shortcoming that NFL Scouts and even people who posted on Pat's Message Boards who had witnessed offseason practices and preseason games, Had found and seen with Shawn Crable-was his miniscule legs.  The guy's like 6'5 and was drafted at just a bit over 240lbs (I believe?).  Scouts kept saying Crable had it all- Size, Upperbody Strength, Speed, and just unreal Desire...but I kept hearing about those rail-thin legs... 

The smarter scouts and posters would point out that His freakish 6'5 frame, Speed, and Desire would only go so far when it came to doing things a 3-4 Outside Linebacker really needed to do, like set the edge against the run by staying low enough in the pads, and having strong enough leg-strength/bulk to take on an O-Lineman comin at ya AND/OR Crable's frame (like long arms), speed and desire (like having an array of pass-rushing moves)-would also, Only go so far when he went in after the QB and eventually when an O-lineman DID get his hands on Crable's body/pads, Which were surrounded and ill-supported by being so tall and not having the neccessary leg strength/bulk...

~Tough call though in the end...  There was one report awhile back about how Crable, I believe stayed at Foxboro throughout the entire preseason and was studying tape on the one-and-only Willie Mac and was fanatically bulking his legs up and strength training.  I keep liking what I see from Crable before he gets injured each and every preseason (strangely enough, in his lower body-groin and shin injuries), So on one hand, ya wanna say Crable might be pushing himself too far, but on the other-It trully NEEDS to get done for him to have a complete game without any exploitable weaknesses...  2010-11 Prediction: IR due to Turf-Toe will pushing himself to see if he can be a punter along with an OLB

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

What about Maroney?

Sections
Shortcuts