Patriots-Bengals Matchup

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Re: Patriots-Bengals Matchup

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

I think the PATS let Tony G have a career game....kept Jones in check.

Notice how the PATS doubled Tony G at the end and Jones started making catches...but it was to late...

Cincy is a game we can win.

I don't think so.  It's hard to imagine BB actually planning ahead of time and saying "let's give Gonzo 125+ yards and a couple of TDs on Sunday".

It was nice to see the double team on Gonzo during the final drive of the game. That worked out well for the Patriots - altho, the final 5 minutes of the game was too close for comfort.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Notice how the PATS doubled Tony G at the end and Jones started making catches...but it was to late...

Of course we can win. I dont see any unbeatable teams out there. I was just pointing out that TEs usually have a field day on us due to us playing cover 2.  When we play almost all game like last week, the TE will go off for 12  for 149 and 2 TDs/ So Yes its by design for TE to beat you, because the outside guys can score from anywhere but Its never by design to NOT be able to stop someone. When you dedicate 2 players to jam him and cover him with a safety over the top, That sais "F This, He is NOT gonna catch the next one"  so obviously it was a design but they still wanted to stop Tony G or else why even cover him.

This week we have another young, tall, fast deep threat who was a top WR last year. Why wouldnt Talib get help again? and with the Bengals having a legit run game, gregory will be in the box and a linebacker will have to try and cover Gresham/Eifert. I like to point out HOW we can lose, but I rarely go into games thinking we ARE gonna lose.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from profootball. Show profootball's posts

It is the same as the Bengal at home is tougher than on the road.  They beat the Packers at home.

In response to BILLB50's comment:

In response to anonymis' comment:

[QUOTE]

http://www.boston.com/sports/blogs/goingdeep/2013/10/scouting_the_cincinnati_bengal.html

Not as worried about the Bengals vs. Atlanta.  If everyone stays on top of their game and don't turn the ball over - they should beat the Bengals.

Looking ahead, the Saints game may be their first loss.

The Saints are a different team on the road,then at home.

[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

[QUOTE]

Of course we can win. I dont see any unbeatable teams out there. I was just pointing out that TEs usually have a field day on us due to us playing cover 2.  When we play almost all game like last week, the TE will go off for 12  for 149 and 2 TDs/ So Yes its be design for TE to beat you, because the outside guys can score from anywhere but Its never by design to NOT be able to stop someone. When you dedicate 2 players to jam him and cover him with a safety over the top, That sais "F This, He is NOT gonna catch the next one"  so obviously it was a design but they still wanted to stop Tony G or else why even cover him.

This week we have another young, tall, fast deep threat who was a top WR last year. Why wouldnt Talib get help again? and with the Bengals having a legit run game, gregory will be in the box and a linebacker will have to try and cover Gresham/Eifert. I like to point out HOW we can lose, but I rarely go into games thinking we ARE gonna lose.

[/QUOTE]

We are on the same page.

If the PATS din't clamp down on Jones early he would have killed us, he's that good. Tony G benifited from that.

I know the TE over the middle has been a problem for us.

I believe the Bengals are weak at QB and HC and I believe that combination is usually fatal.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

I mean after going 18-1, I don't look at any team and say.. 'yeah, we'll win'.  I may like our chances, but any given Sunday....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

If Ridley is out - the game gets a little tougher.  We should be okay with bolden, develin, and blunty blount

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

video of matchup

http://cinesport.boston.com/boston-globe-sports/both-sides-of-patriots-bengals/

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The Bengals don't appear to have four players in their defensive backfield. 

They do have Terrence Newman, in his 11th season, at cornerback.  After that they have a number of guys all named "Hammy".  Leon Hall, their best cornerback, didn't practice on Wednesday at least.  Dre Kirkpatrick, backup corner, didn't practice.  Starting free safety Reggie Nelson sat out the last game with his hamstring, but he had limited practice.  If I were the GM at Cincy I might fire their strength and conditioning coach.

Cornerback Adam Jones is healthy but he got in trouble with the police a week and a half ago, disorderly conduct in a car driven by a DUI driver.  He has this long string of incidents.  The commish let him play last week.

Not having a backfield against Tom Brady, Danny Amendola and Rob Gronkowski is a bit of a problem.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

Don't sleep on Mohamed Sanu guys. He can play. Plus Benard is a rising star and can do more than just catch the ball.

"I don’t know. I think Tom is probably the best leader I’ve ever been around so I wouldn’t be too critical of him. " - BB

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

http://www.boston.com/sports/blogs/goingdeep/2013/10/scouting_the_cincinnati_bengal.html

Not as worried about the Bengals vs. Atlanta.  If everyone stays on top of their game and don't turn the ball over - they should beat the Bengals.

Looking ahead, the Saints game may be their first loss.

Actually, I was less concerned about the Falcons than I am the Bengals. Cincinnati has a much better defensive unit that the defenseless Falcons. I expect a much tougher, physical game...especially if played in a rain storm, as expected. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

itsHits going to rain and be crappy at the game.  You can go thru any scenario you want but that alone will change the game. I hope Blount can hold his own with some change of pace bolden. 

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

cino in good front 7  no so good Dbs

If Oline gets time the coming passing game gets going

Blount and Bolden get some yds with Oline scheming

as always , are Gronk and DA on.The plane?

Dalton has two A recievers -not enough and Dalton isn't good at progression

If we get up on them, they may just break down

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

One thing I noticed with their offense, as similar as it is to Atlanta's minus that second lethal flanker, is the idea they're subbing their RBs in the flawed way we were doing it here, which tips off what play they are running.

I noticed it when they played Pitt on the national game.  When Benard comes in it's an 80% chance a pass and quite possibly to him out of the backfield.

I think we can play zone on 3rd and either blitz or put Arrington as a spy on Benard.   If they use mostly BJGE, then it's a different story.

But, I think that is why their run game isn't cutting it for them so far this year. Benard is a scatback, but if you never hand off to him with a toss, a counter or one of those kinds of runs, the D will know BJGE is in there to run it and run it only.

They're making the mistakes we did when he had Woodhead in here and subbed our backs in and out for skill set per kind of play being run. It doesn't work in this league anymore because defenses are too smart and FAST in general.

Actually, not subbing players is what doesn't work in the NFL anymore.  Every team in the league subs backs, receivers, TEs constantly.  The reason is simple:  to get different combinations of offensive skillsets on the field and present the defense with different challenges and match-up problems.  Sure, the particular combination of players you have in tips off the defense about what types of plays you're most likely to run, but that doesn't mean you stop subbing.  If you did stop subbing, you'd only be able to do what your regular line-up is capable of doing (i.e., you'd still be tipping off the defense and also would become very one-dimensional) or you would be running plays that your regular line-up isn't good at (which might surprise the defense once or twice, but would mostly mean many of your plays would be unsuccessful because they weren't good matches for your players' skills).

Time to just admit it.  BJGE isn't that great a back or all that versatile.  Because of that, you can't just ride him and never sub for him.  Leaving BJGE in the game all the time won't fool the defense . . . it will just make their job even easier.  There's a reason the Bengals drafted Bernard.  It's the same reason BB drafted Ridley and Vereen.  BJGE is a limited player who needs to be subbed for by backs who can do different things and--ideally--are just better runners and receivers overall.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehub. Show thehub's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Eifert has had 17 targets with 12 catches (what we expected from Sudfeld?)Eifert is 6'6"

Gresham has had 23 targets with 18 catches. Gresham is 6"5"

I dont see Gregory or one of the LB's having an advantage in either matchup with these TE's.

BB will have to mix it up in regards to who gets double teamed. 

Keep Dalton guessing and that will help. We can't play man on those TE's all day and 

expect to win. Hightower and Mayo will both get a chance to make an impact and we will 

have help over the top on some plays to confuse Dalton. Need to call a good game on D. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

saints will destroy our o line

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Bengals on offense: Excellent pass-blocking offensive line, notably lousy quarterback this year, one excellent receiver, not much of a running game.  BB finds ways to take advantage of unbalanced, one-dimensional offenses. Expect A.J. Green to be double covered every single play with Talib in front of him and probably McCourty in back of him.  The Bengals scored six points last week.  Curious, but Atlanta didn't run that well against the hole where Vince Wilfork used to be. 

Bengals on defense:  One tremendous bull-rushing defensive tackle.  To compensate, Tom Brady can always set up the shotgun an extra two yards deep, which buys him time and throwing room.  Also, Atkins always gets double-teamed on every play.  In the backfield Cincinnati is a walking hospital, and so TB is going to pick the backfield apart.  Bonus if Danny Amendola lines up.

Sections
Shortcuts