Patriots: Best receiving corp in the NFL

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[Quote]Hmm. I would think that T.O. and Evans gives them a run for their money. As does Larry Fitz and Boldin (should he stay).

BB didn't think Brady couldn't hit a deep WR. NE had a bunch of short recievers and tall WRs with questionable speed.

I highly doubt anyone thought Brady couldn't hit a long ball, as that was a strength of his coming out of Michigan. He has that nice rainbow arc that deep, deep routes call for.

But i will admit one thing, if Galloway has anything left, there will be some major downfield issues for other teams. You would be talking (at that point) about the two best deep WRs in the last decade in Moss and Galloway.

Although at 56 years of age,that is a big ole' "if."[/Quote]

Where were you in 2002-2003 when everyone was saying that Brady couldn't throw it long because of the dink and dunks he was throwing?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnpanzer1. Show johnpanzer1's posts

Don't get lost in the Lewis/Galloway numbers - teams don't throw deep that often, and evaluating a receiver or QB - without the counterpart is painfully stupid (i.e. Moss in Oakland).

3 wide with Moss, Galloway, and Lewis (4 wide with Welker will never happen so don't bother, or you don't know Patriots football) with a TE and Fred Taylor in the backfield is about to be a NIGHTMARE for opposing defenses. "Stretching the Defense" is a much over-used term because most teams don't have the players(plural, one player does not stretch a defense) to do it. Galloway and Lewis aren't just burners - they actually GET OPEN behind defenders - and now they're with a QB that can hit them deep, as well as read short.

Defending the Patriots has been so easy - every defensive back whos not on Moss can cheat toward supporting the middle and the run. You see it on tape - stay with your reciever keep your eyes on the line and assume you can leave your receiver to cover the run or short pass (I'm not talking about last year with Cassell, I'm talking Brady days when we never had more than 1 receiver with any threat past 12 yards). Why? Because belicheck didn't think Brady could hit people deep consistently - remember letting go branch the only deep threat? Then Moss arrives and they set records together - DUH! This wasn't a surprise to Patriots fans - just the head coach!

Notice when we run the ball all 11 defenders seem to be on top of it - well thats because THEY ARE! or were. Until now. This season is going to be sooooooo fun. The circus is back in town - if your an AFC Defensive Coordinator let me offer a little advice...update your resume.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

I just laughed out loud at your suggestion that Welker won't be involved in 3 wide packages, and that if you think he will be you don't know Patriots football.

The only time a 3 wide package would be Moss, Galloway, Lewis is if Welker is injured.

And the 4 wide package would be exactly the one you said it wouldn't be. Nice try though.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Hmm. I would think that T.O. and Evans gives them a run for their money. As does Larry Fitz and Boldin (should he stay).

BB didn't think Brady couldn't hit a deep WR. NE had a bunch of short recievers and tall WRs with questionable speed.

I highly doubt anyone thought Brady couldn't hit a long ball, as that was a strength of his coming out of Michigan. He has that nice rainbow arc that deep, deep routes call for.

But i will admit one thing, if Galloway has anything left, there will be some major downfield issues for other teams. You would be talking (at that point) about the two best deep WRs in the last decade in Moss and Galloway.

Although at 56 years of age,that is a big ole' "if."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from celtfan. Show celtfan's posts

You watch tape? Give me a break!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

I think, in a 3 WR set, Moss, Galloway and Welker with Faulk as RB is more "nightmarish" for Defensive Coordinators than Moss, Galloway and Lewis with Taylor (although Taylor would be effective, too).

With Moss and Galloway stretching the field, Welker and Faulk (or Taylor) will have a lot of space underneath.

And zbellino, Galloway is not 56. Did you complain about Seau's age, too? Good grief!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from timesedge. Show timesedge's posts

Wait - you are suggesting that Welker will not be part of 3 WR packages? Am I missing something, because this seems like a pretty silly statement. And how can you get more excited about Lewis than Welker?!?

I do think that we are going to have one of the best receiving cores of the NFL with Welker, Moss, and Galloway. Lewis is a bonus and probably will be switching in and out with Galloway to keep him fresh. I also think Baker will be the safety valve, and should be a pretty good one too.

Combine that with an improved RB core (between getting healthy, signing Taylor, and having a year of experience for BJGE), and Hochstein learning how to be a good FB in certain sets, and our offense is pretty damn impressive.

We still need a D though - D wins championships. Our D lost the superbowl, and our D lost the AFC championship the year before... We need a good draft and maybe a Defensive FA (JT or JP - I think JT would be better in the long run though)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

I agree with every part,but Lewis.he hasnt done anything to warrant any praise.he has 127rec for 1,699yrds and 7td,s in his 6-years in the league.now maybe,and its maybe with tom brady throwing, Lewis could be put on the map.I would say we have a very good class of receivers,but to say the best, as a fan i could say yes,but in reality thats up for debate.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Thats if Gallaway and Lewis even make the team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Kmaxx makes the blindingly obivous point here.

Surely the quarterback is part of any receiving "corps".

If you don't think so, come on out to Winter Park and ask Bernard Berrian.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Jackson wasn't ineffective because of injuries, if that's your reference. He was ineffective for the stated reason. He couldn't master the playbook and even when he knew the play his routes were not concise.

If your nebulous post was in reference to something else, please ignore the above.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Yea yea yea Jbolt we get it you dont like Denver. But you sure are scared of Cutler though arent you? why else would you be so happy to see him go? If he was truely as sucky as you say he is you would want him in denver forever so you could tool on him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[Quote]If you said "best offense" (..ever?) you would have had me, or included Watson, Thomas, Faulk and Maroney as receivers and you would have had me; but straight receivers alone...? Sorry it's Arizona.[/Quote]

I agree, Arizona by far has the best receiving trio in the league but the Pats have some many other weapons that make them the best offence in the league and its starts Brady.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[Quote]I also like Denver's group of Brandon Marshall..Eddie Royal..Brandon Stokely and TE Tony Sheffler.[/Quote]

[Insert loud buzzer sound here]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[Quote]Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the 2007 season, the Pats had 5 wide outs on the line sometimes. The o-line was strong enough and Brady's arm and accuracy were enough to make sure the defense didn't blitz. To say they won't do 4 is inaccurate IMHO.
    I do agree with you though that this will be a fun to watch season. As someone else put it, BB is going to show the league what running up the score really means![/Quote]

I can't wait, just thinking we can be better than 2007 with a stronger running game which means might have to think twice about not bringing that safety in the box will be a blast. I still think a speed receiver will be taken in the 3rd or 4th round of the draft. There should be some goods ones left in those rounds. Good to be a Pats fan, and the D improving boy can't wait.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

Receivers are only as good as the person delivering the ball. Jesus Freak (30 TD’s) is a bucket of after birth compared to Brady (50 TD’s). So smart money says that New England Receivers will gain more yards and score more TD’s thus making them BETTER.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

z

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Killa --

It may be that San Dago fan has not yet reached that place where he wants the competition to be good so he can squash it just the same and laugh even louder.

It may be that San Dago fan thinks 8-8 is awesome, and the idea that Cutler might, under bizzare circumstances we have not yet considered, lead Denver to the unchartered territory of 9-7, thereby rendering San Dago and its mouthy quarterback irrelevant (if they aren't already).

As Pats fans, who see success in terms of actual victory, it is hard for us to understand San Dago fan's perspective. But we try.

(cue jbolt with some weak 30-10 reference)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocher. Show rocher's posts

I also like Denver's group of Brandon Marshall..Eddie Royal..Brandon Stokely and TE Tony Sheffler.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

the reason i emphasized McNabbs style is because Brady is a Stationary QB who relies on quick reads, check downs and PRECISION rout running

if Lewsi thinks he is going to improvise as much as he had he is mistaken... he will be held accountable for being in the right place at the right time

we cut a scond rounder in favor of a guy who was an undrafted SS/RB in ventrone last year due to the fact that Jackson was and idiot and he could not run routs or remember plays

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

I am a little confused here...

3 wide with Moss, Galloway, and Lewis (4 wide with Welker will never happen so don't bother, or you don't know Patriots football) with a TE and Fred Taylor in the backfield is about to be a NIGHTMARE for opposing defenses.

Do you really want to take the short game of Welker's out? The only 2 ways that you would see 3 wide with Moss Galloway and Lewis is 1) like someone said, if Welker is hurt, or 2) if the Pats are going for a Hail Mary play. You don't send 3 down field WR's out on a bomb every play.

4 wide with Welker will always happen, not sure why you think that Lewis is going to take Welker's position. Since Lewis is taking Washington's position.

I like 5 wide with moss, welker, galloway, lewis, faulk and any TE.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Right now the best tandem (when healthy) is Fitzgerald and Bolden). By right now I mean the Pats do not have the best tandem or receiving corps until we see Brady back under center in Sept, 09. Then things could changr dramatically. There will be competition for the #3 spot with Galloway as the early favorite. ALso like the Taylor, Faulk, Morris, Maroney, Green Ellis running back rotation. Should give the Pats O more balance.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the 2007 season, the Pats had 5 wide outs on the line sometimes. The o-line was strong enough and Brady's arm and accuracy were enough to make sure the defense didn't blitz. To say they won't do 4 is inaccurate IMHO.
    I do agree with you though that this will be a fun to watch season. As someone else put it, BB is going to show the league what running up the score really means!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

are you implying that Greg Lewis is FAST... he ran a 4.60 40 comming out of college i am not sure that is fast

maybe he specializes in the deep ball but that may be due to the fact that the eagles never had a recieving core and the only year Lewsi did well was when TO was there which leads me to believe that he ran intermediate routs not deep routs

Lewis is a gunner/ST/WR reserve with quality time in the Eagles line up

Another thing you should note is that McNabb has been throwing to this cat for six years and he is not a stationary QB by any means and his style of play relies on WRs who can improvise as he does in the event the pocket collapses and he has to sprint out

Lewis is a valueable veteran back up who could potentially compete with a great second or thrid round draft pick for reps in the pre-season

my feeling is he could be cut

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

If you said "best offense" (..ever?) you would have had me, or included Watson, Thomas, Faulk and Maroney as receivers and you would have had me; but straight receivers alone...? Sorry it's Arizona.

Sections
Shortcuts