Patriots' Biggest Need Now?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Patriots' Biggest Need Now?

I'm thinking the offensive line may be the next target of improvement?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

Re: Patriots' Biggest Need Now?

we need a pass rushing OLB (roth and lawson hopefully) and a DE to play opposite of haynesworth unless bb thinks moore or brace is good enough.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

A bigger Stadium.  Something that can fit 80 -90K and is designed to better retain crowd noise then the current stadium.  I'd even throw on a retractable Dome.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

Either an OLB like the King says, or a DE.  Of course, BB no doubt has some creative ideas here - maybe Moore plays in one of those spots or we get Roth from Browns or Osi of Giants, or play younger guys like Myron Prior, Ron Brace, or Love more in DLine and move them around.  Pats have lots of options here.  They could also resign Gerard Warren, who played well for us last season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

In Response to Patriots' Biggest Need Now?:
    I'm thinking the offensive line may be the next target of improvement?
    Posted by anonymis

Let's see they have Mankins's in and Light is on this AM's roster.

They historically bring in developmental OL's like Orenberger (sp) and guys like that to develop over a 2-4 year period. 

They drafted Solder and Cannon.  Solder will be this year's rookie Vollmer, playing in the rotation, with no pressure on him.  Cannon, he's taking care of his illness, but even if he was ok, he be developmental or practice squad all the way.  They are set there with Connely and LeVoir as the primary veteran backups.

See my thread on Defense that I just started.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

#1 - A backup DT: Without Warren they need someone who can fill his role incase Haynesworth decides to become Haynesworth and they have to dump him

#2 - Pass rush OLB: The line can be great but without someone behind them to take advantage of the situations they create it might be all for not

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Biggest need? OLB.

Matt Roth or Manny Lawson and we are set.

I would love for the Patriots FO to resign mankins to a long term deal, potentially clearing an extra couple million in terms of salary cap space this year.

Having a G sitting with a 10 million dollar franchise tag is not good business. Resign Mankins, potentially lowering his cap hit to 5-8 million.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In order to retain noise, first you have to create it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

A DE to play opposite of Cunningham in the 4-3

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

There Biggest need now?  A 4th Super Bowl Trophy!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Extending Mankins to lock him up and reduce cap space should be job #1
    Bringing Light back on a team friendly 1-2 year deal would be a nice security blanket and allow Solder time to develop.

If both occur, I think we are set this year on the OL.  Next year some decisions will have to be made with Koppen and Connolly.

Cannon cannot be put on the PS.  Another team will take him.  But we could PUP him for the first 6 weeks or so until he is 100%.  But if he is ready to go, I think he makes the 53 man roster.  Wendall, LeVoir, Solder and Cannon complete the OL (assuming Light is back).  The rest of the offense is set.  Unless there is an injury in camp I don't see Faulk or Morris sticking.  We are set at TE, WR and QB now.

Defensively, I agree, a rush OLB would be the next biggest priority.  Adding a quality Safety would be nice if possible given that Meriweather and Sanders are free agents after this season.  Donte Whitner could make some sense although he hasn't lived up to his draft status in Buffalo.  But he would be a nice addition by subtraction from a divisional foe move.  Obviously we are set and now very deep at corner with Bodden, McCourty, Arrington, Dowling and either Wilhite or Butler.  

I agree the DL now has some question marks.  The Haynesworth deal is getting zero press and outsiders think he may not pan out.  I think he does but who plays on the other side of Wilfork is an open question with Warren now gone.  Deaderick and Brace appear to both have question marks.  Wright can not stay healthy and Pryor is a situational guy.  Love and Richardson may have trouble sticking.  If we could land Cullen Jenkins from GB, that would be sweet.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots' Biggest Need Now?:
    A bigger Stadium.  Something that can fit 80 -90K and is designed to better retain crowd noise then the current stadium.  I'd even throw on a retractable Dome.
    Posted by tcal2-

LMAO...isn't there room to build one at Patriot Mall?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Extending Mankins to lock him up and reduce cap space should be job #1 Bringing Light back on a team friendly 1-2 year deal would be a nice security blanket and allow Solder time to develop. If both occur, I think we are set this year on the OL.  Next year some decisions will have to be made with Koppen and Connolly. Cannon cannot be put on the PS.  Another team will take him.  But we could PUP him for the first 6 weeks or so until he is 100%.  But if he is ready to go, I think he makes the 53 man roster.  Wendall, LeVoir, Solder and Cannon complete the OL (assuming Light is back).  The rest of the offense is set.  Unless there is an injury in camp I don't see Faulk or Morris sticking.  We are set at TE, WR and QB now. Defensively, I agree, a rush OLB would be the next biggest priority.  Adding a quality Safety would be nice if possible given that Meriweather and Sanders are free agents after this season.  Donte Whitner could make some sense although he hasn't lived up to his draft status in Buffalo.  But he would be a nice addition by subtraction from a divisional foe move.  Obviously we are set and now very deep at corner with Bodden, McCourty, Arrington, Dowling and either Wilhite or Butler.   I agree the DL now has some question marks.  The Haynesworth deal is getting zero press and outsiders think he may not pan out.  I think he does but who plays on the other side of Wilfork is an open question with Warren now gone.  Deaderick and Brace appear to both have question marks.  Wright can not stay healthy and Pryor is a situational guy.  Love and Richardson may have trouble sticking.  If we could land Cullen Jenkins from GB, that would be sweet.
    Posted by Faucetman

Why not resign GWarren to play on the other side of Vince? I think he actually played very well last year, and i think a line of he, Vince and Al would be quite nice when we line up in a 3-4. Brace/Deaderick/Love back them up.

There is so much talk lately with what TWarren said about us moving to a 4-3. Lets assume that to be the case for a second, or we run more 4 man lines. To me, the 2 biggest needs right now are 4-3 DE, and 4-3 OLB. I would peg Cunningham on one side, but the other side I have no idea..take your pick of Moore, Nink or maybe even Wright. Nto too bad, just want someone a bit better.

Same with OLB. If Spikes had a bit more speed, I would feel comfortable with him in the middle, stick Mayo outside with Guyton/Fletcher. Can Spikes survive in the middle of the 4-3? if not, he is basically coming in when we go 3-4. Other than that, I think you have to have Mayo inside, with Guyton/Fletcher/Barrett outside if they possinbly go 4-2-5, you can use Barrett or another big safety in that role like McGowan if we sign him.

Thoughts?..btw..nice to see you on here Faucet.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In Response to Patriots' Biggest Need Now? : Let's see they have Mankins's in and Light is on this AM's roster. They historically bring in developmental OL's like Orenberger (sp) and guys like that to develop over a 2-4 year period.  They drafted Solder and Cannon.  Solder will be this year's rookie Vollmer, playing in the rotation, with no pressure on him.  Cannon, he's taking care of his illness, but even if he was ok, he be developmental or practice squad all the way.  They are set there with Connely and LeVoir as the primary veteran backups. See my thread on Defense that I just started.
    Posted by schwank

We don't know what Mankins will do. So far, he is not on the field. Light is also unsigned. Kaczur released. So, technically lots of questions remain.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

we need a pass rushing OLB (roth and lawson hopefully) and a DE to play opposite of haynesworth unless bb thinks moore or brace is good enough.
    Posted by natesubs

Lots of folks like Ty Warren and Crump released. Altho TW inplied he will look elsewhere at this point - there is the possibility both will be re-signed at a lower offer.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reloadedagent31. Show Reloadedagent31's posts

I'm not sold on a 4-3 either, but rather augmenting the four man sub packages because how ineffective it was in 2010. I would expect either Marcus Stroud, Gerard, or Ty Warren back before they consider Osi Umeniyora. If Gary Guyton & Brandon Spikes played both the run and pass I'd understand the switch. However, switching away 3-4 would leave the defense with bigger question marks. If Albert Haynesworth comes to play, he plays end on the base 3-4 and in sub packages on the inside with Mike Wright and Jermaine Cunningham and Eric Moore coming off the edges. Very intriguing that the majority of veterans were cut from a team that just won 14 games and #1 seed in 2010.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Posted by tcal2-

I get so phukin mad when I see the crowd falling asleep(or at least that's what it looks like from my TV).  Kraft said they put up some walls or something to retain crowd noise, but I did not see a difference last year.  Hopefully they do something to improve that.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Posted by tcal2-

TOTALLY AGREE!! Hopefully Kraft does something to Stadium to KEEP the NOISE in it. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

Posted by tcal2-

Hilarious!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Biggest Need Now?  Re-sign Light - Solidify our Left side of O-LINE - Need to protect #12.  Period.  Then let's get Solder in here soon to start learning. 

After this, then lets pay attention again to our Front 7.  I agree with most - Roth or Manny Lawson - OLB / DE help - I would love to see Shaun Ellis DE come here and help out our D-Line.  OSI U ? 

Glad to have K Faulk back though.  I would love to see Pats re-do Welker's contract so they don't let him go down to the last dying day like they did wilfork..Welker is Brady's binki.

Great JOB so far though and It's still early - I'm sure the Pats still have moves they would like to make to improve this football team.  Hopefully that BAD TASTE in their (and our) mouth is still there - so they'll do whatever it takes to LOAD it up and make that RUN for #4. 

GO PATS!

Sections
Shortcuts