Patriots Biggest Offseason Regret

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Patriots Biggest Offseason Regret

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1733771-every-nfl-teams-biggest-offseason-regret/page/4

Bleacherreport claims it will be the youth movement at wide receiver.

It's hard to be overly critical of one of the league's most successful franchises of all time, but the decision to let Wes Welker, Deion Branch, Brandon Lloyd and Donte Stallworth go is a risky proposition for any offense—even one led by Tom Brady. 

Danny Amendola was brought in to replace Welker's production in the slot. This is no small feat to expect of any receiver. 

Amendola has had trouble staying healthy over the last two years in St. Louis, but has shown promise when available. 

The Patriots decided to satisfy their glaring need for receivers by drafting Aaron Dobson out of Marshall in the second round and Josh Boyce from TCU in the fourth. 

These guys, although talented, are suddenly expected to come in as rookies and learn a system that has notoriously overwhelmed veteran pass-catchers without even a second thought. 

This plan would be understandable if the Patriots were rebuilding, but anytime you have a Tom Brady on your team, the Super Bowl is always the goal. 

This issue at wide receiver is further compounded by the devastating offseason developments at the tight end position. 

What was once a position admired by the entire league is now a major question mark which all leads to one major concern. Who is Tom Brady going to throw to?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Re: Patriots Biggest Offseason Regret

Whoever wrote this article in uninformed and ignorant.

Had they followed the Patriots and the development of their young receivers and TEs throughout camp, what was written, never would've made it on paper.

Just some guy looking for attention without having done any real research.

Let's go Pats!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

I like the youth movement at WR, glad it happened. I could not have bear another heartbreaking loss of some veteran dropping a catch that could have sealed the game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

Whoever wrote this article in uninformed and ignorant.

Had they followed the Patriots and the development of their young receivers and TEs throughout camp, what was written, never would've made it on paper.

Just some guy looking for attention without having done any real research.

Let's go Pats!

Agree 100% . . . Branch and Stallworth were never going to make this team, Aiken, Jenkins and Sims are already better receivers and one of them will be on speed dial if someone goes down.  The current group of tight ends is about as good as anyone else in the game and that does not include Gronk . . . I don't see him coming back until after game 6 and it will give Sudfeld time and plays to develop!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

This article had legs.... four months ago! 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

"Bleacherreport claims..."

And then I stopped reading.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1733771-every-nfl-teams-biggest-offseason-regret/page/4

Bleacherreport claims it will be the youth movement at wide receiver.

It's hard to be overly critical of one of the league's most successful franchises of all time, but the decision to let Wes Welker, Deion Branch, Brandon Lloyd and Donte Stallworth go is a risky proposition for any offense—even one led by Tom Brady. 

Danny Amendola was brought in to replace Welker's production in the slot. This is no small feat to expect of any receiver. 

Amendola has had trouble staying healthy over the last two years in St. Louis, but has shown promise when available. 

The Patriots decided to satisfy their glaring need for receivers by drafting Aaron Dobson out of Marshall in the second round and Josh Boyce from TCU in the fourth. 

These guys, although talented, are suddenly expected to come in as rookies and learn a system that has notoriously overwhelmed veteran pass-catchers without even a second thought. 

This plan would be understandable if the Patriots were rebuilding, but anytime you have a Tom Brady on your team, the Super Bowl is always the goal. 

This issue at wide receiver is further compounded by the devastating offseason developments at the tight end position. 

What was once a position admired by the entire league is now a major question mark which all leads to one major concern. Who is Tom Brady going to throw to?

Their biggest regret might be that they didn't offer Steelers' RFA Emanuel Sanders more money. He reminds me of a young Deion Branch.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

Their biggest regret might be that they didn't offer Steelers' RFA Emanuel Sanders more money. He reminds me of a young Deion Branch.  

Maybe Tex but I think we're going to be happy with the new additions. The rookies are bound to have growing pains but I like what I'm seeing and hearing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Couple of things ...

1. I think it is probably easier to teach these rookies than to teach a lot of the established receivers - it is all new to them and they are used to studying. Certainly couldn't do any worse than Ocho!

2. I suspect there are a number of teams making inquiries about both WRs and TEs with the rash of injuries - while they may not be the top end, whatever cuts the Pats make at both positions will not make it to the PS but will be claimed immediately. Same goes with any RB that gets cut and probably a number of the defensive players as well.

The depth on this team like most BB teams of the last decade is pretty impressive.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

Exactually, when was this written April 30th.  Suds will be a star at TE and the 3 amigos at WR will dominate DB's league wide.  Sorry national media but the reports of our demise were greatly exaggerated.  No weak link Deion Branch's or catch, drop and roll Lloyd's anymore.  Just threats.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

People will be shocked by October with two things:

1. Who are those guys at WR and TE (Sudfeld)?

2. When did the Pats D become elite?

i wouldn't bet too heavy on these especially #2

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Towelie-Toke. Show Towelie-Toke's posts

Elite defense? define elite.  Better? yes.  Elite, I doubt it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I like the new guys..like their size and potential. I'd like them a lot more if they were heading into their second seasons - playing wide receiver is not easy in the NFL, it takes time to figure out an offense and how to beat the coverages these guys will be facing.

The thing is if Gronk and Amendola stay (or get) healthy, then these new kids will be like icing on the cake. Let's face it the offense has been about a tight end and a slot guy over the last two playoffs (we never had Gronk and Hern healthy together come playoff time), so if we had three young and talented guys we could roll outside, it could be better.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Exactually, when was this written April 30th.  Suds will be a star at TE and the 3 amigos at WR will dominate DB's league wide.  Sorry national media but the reports of our demise were greatly exaggerated.  No weak link Deion Branch's or catch, drop and roll Lloyd's anymore.  Just threats.

IDK what your first sentence means (exactually?). The article the link goes to is dated Aug 12, 13. Everything else you wrote, I agree with.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

I am happy (excited even) with our offense - both pass and run :-).

Still concerned about our defense though..

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

If Dennard can play, I don't see any weakness on this D.  IF Ras I can get healthy and play to his potential, I think this is an elite D with decent depth.  

Thats pretty impressive when you consider the real regrets:

Drafting Tavon Wilson with our 48th pick.  Instead of what should have been a difference maker, he is the 4th safety, who I doubt is even with the team next year.  and

Both 3rd round Rudgers defensive players, Ryan and Harmon, looks like a waste too.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Overhaul at the wideout position was needed notwithstanding the Welker/Amendola debate and the young guys are looking good.  Pointless piece IMO.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

If Dennard can play, I don't see any weakness on this D.  IF Ras I can get healthy and play to his potential, I think this is an elite D with decent depth.  

Drafting Tavon Wilson with our 48th pick.  Instead of what should have been a difference maker, he is the 4th safety, who I doubt is even with the team next year.  and

Both 3rd round Rudgers defensive players, Ryan and Harmon, looks like a waste too.

Rob Ninkodink is a major weakness, I like what I saw from Buchanon in the preaseason game, hopefully he take the job from Ninkodink. Also, while I would agree with you on Wilson (He can't cover a double move to save his life), I like what I saw from Harmon. If Harmon sticks by A. Wilson and absorb as much knowledge as he can, he would have a bright future in the NFL. He looked really good on friday, and he passed Wilson in the depth chart which is what promising rookies are supposed do (cough)Jake Bequette(cough).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

And WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too early for you to be down on Logan Ryan, he hasn't even played a real game yet.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetssuc. Show nyjetssuc's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

"Bleacherreport claims..."

And then I stopped reading.

Agreed...Bleacher Report is written, for the most part, by people who live full time in their parents basement and haven't seen the sun shine since they were beaten up for lunch money in the sixth grade...you know, about three months ago....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Im gonna quote felger for the 1st time in my life. If you are gonna be all giddy about the progress of our WR's without prefacing it with (but its only preseason) than dont try to tell me about the improved D being in preseason as to why they are being burnt. Lets face it, Philly Suks on Defense. If anyone is feeling good based on that outing, they need to stop drinking the kool aid. I am very encouraged by what Ive seen from the rooks, but its still waaaay too early to say this article has no merit. Lots can happen between now and then and once reg.season kicks off and gameplans come into play and CBs are really playing, lets evaluate it then. Taylor Price had 2 GREAT preseason here, lets remember. I do like em though, but cmon.  Noone would feel good about this situation if we didnt have a solid group of RBs or Gronk of Amendola. So yea its not dire straigts because we have some returning vets that can produce, but far from Ideal at this point in Bradys career.

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

In response to 49Patriots's comment:

And WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too early for you to be down on Logan Ryan, he hasn't even played a real game yet.

Does that mean its way too early to be high on the receivers since they haven't played a game yet? I love being positive but these guys aren't immediately destined for greatness because they did well in a few series against a pitiful Eagles defense. You'd think they were all-pros already reading this thread.

*Nevermind, Triple already said it perfectly.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

I would say the biggest offseason regret is not getting more depth along the d-line. Kelly was a nice addition but I would have liked to see more. I had pretty high hopes for Armstead when they first signed him but it would be nice to see him on the field a little bit.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

i wouldn't bet too heavy on these especially #2

Says the guy who is predicting playoffs and a division title for a team that went 8-8 and completely folded down the stretch.  Irony.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The question is, what happened to such a promising article?

First and foremost, Coach Tom Brady took three of the young'uns to California and worked their tails off.  Are they really rookies now?  The answer is that they aren't playing like rookies now.  Nobody else in the NFL does this with rookie wide receivers -- not yet!  As for Zach Sudfeld, maybe Brady has been working his tail off also.

Second, the priorities of the Patriots' scouting staff have apparently changed.  For a five year period the Patriots drafted forgettable speedball after forgettable speedball, and they all didn't work out.  Troy Brown worked out fine, but he was a slow seventh rounder.  In response to a really horrid batting average the front office sat down, probably fired someone, and then thought about what makes a good wide receiver.  Then they went out and pulled two starters in a row out of the Undrafted pile of players, and I think they also hit pretty well with two drafted wideouts.  Not one of these guys is "fast".

Kenbrell Thompkins, that's Mister Spellcheck to you, is starting from out of nowhere.  He's big and pretty explosive, so he can play the slot.

Zach Sudfeld

Aaron Dobson isn't fast.  He's tall and he can battle for the ball well. 

Josh B

Sections
Shortcuts