Patriots Biggest Offseason Regret

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Re: Patriots Biggest Offseason Regret

Trading Jeff Demps!

Paul Perillo @pfwpaul 6m

Looking at the Bucs roster it lists RB Jeff Demps as reserve/did not report. Looking like a pretty good trade at this point

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1733771-every-nfl-teams-biggest-offseason-regret/page/4

Bleacherreport claims it will be the youth movement at wide receiver.

It's hard to be overly critical of one of the league's most successful franchises of all time, but the decision to let Wes Welker, Deion Branch, Brandon Lloyd and Donte Stallworth go is a risky proposition for any offense—even one led by Tom Brady. 

Danny Amendola was brought in to replace Welker's production in the slot. This is no small feat to expect of any receiver. 

Amendola has had trouble staying healthy over the last two years in St. Louis, but has shown promise when available. 

The Patriots decided to satisfy their glaring need for receivers by drafting Aaron Dobson out of Marshall in the second round and Josh Boyce from TCU in the fourth. 

These guys, although talented, are suddenly expected to come in as rookies and learn a system that has notoriously overwhelmed veteran pass-catchers without even a second thought. 

This plan would be understandable if the Patriots were rebuilding, but anytime you have a Tom Brady on your team, the Super Bowl is always the goal. 

This issue at wide receiver is further compounded by the devastating offseason developments at the tight end position. 

What was once a position admired by the entire league is now a major question mark which all leads to one major concern. Who is Tom Brady going to throw to?

Nope, this guy missed it. The Pats biggest offseason regret has been not winning the previous years superbowl!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

In response to 42AND46's comment:

i wouldn't bet too heavy on these especially #2

Says the guy who is predicting playoffs and a division title for a team that went 8-8 and completely folded down the stretch.  Irony.

and what does one have to do with the other?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:

Aaron Dobson isn't fast.  He's tall and he can battle for the ball well. 

Dobson ran a 4.4, he's pretty fast for a tall guy.  

Thompkins is an all purpose receiver who wins because he has more heart and an attention to detail.  I can't wait for a look at this year's offense in the regular season with the additions to receiver and ever improving run game.  This years team will be better on offense and more complete on defense, should be fun to watch.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I also feel the regret will be along the DL. Someone may become available at cut down, but even if AA comes back healthy, the Pats would have Vince, Kelly and AA and mabe Fortson. I am not sold yet on Fortson in the rotation and AA no one has seen play yet...

How much will it take to entice Seymour?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I also feel the regret will be along the DL. Someone may become available at cut down, but even if AA comes back healthy, the Pats would have Vince, Kelly and AA and mabe Fortson. I am not sold yet on Fortson in the rotation and AA no one has seen play yet...

Way more than he is worth at this stage of his career.

He will not play for BB unless they over pay and they will not over pay.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

dont they have a $5M carry over in the cap space that is use it or lose it? I could see them re-doing McCourty's deal this year and spending that money, but I dont see them re-doing anyone else at this time? Sure, they could sign someone midseason...but I believe they have about $10m available, of which $5M can carry, but $5M will go away if unused

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

dont they have a $5M carry over in the cap space that is use it or lose it? I could see them re-doing McCourty's deal this year and spending that money, but I dont see them re-doing anyone else at this time? Sure, they could sign someone midseason...but I believe they have about $10m available, of which $5M can carry, but $5M will go away if unused

Agreed I would also re-up Mccourty. They might also want to think about Solder & Vareen sometime during the season based on their level of play. As far as Seymour  is concerned he won't come back here unless they WOW him and the Pats are not about to set that precedent.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

People will be shocked by October with two things:

1. Who are those guys at WR and TE (Sudfeld)?

2. When did the Pats D become elite?

Elite? Those are some strong words. Elite to me means top 2 or 3 at most.  I hope your right but I see a defense that can be vastly improved and a top 10-12 group. Not elite. Would be great though!! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Looks like in 2013 , The Pats will once again look to outscore their opponents with a high powered offense and the Defense will still be giving up tons of yards between the 20's with hopes of some redzone stops. I dont see why/how people are seeing this drastic change based on a couple of personell moves. I mean dont we have the same team returning on Defense, with a couple of minor upgrades?  Kelly and A.Wilson are gonna catapult us to an Elite, top 5 Defense?  # 1 even, according to Wozzy. Please put the Kool- Aid down....smh

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from threejak. Show threejak's posts

This article reminds me ofthe the guy that loves to talk to hear himelf...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Looks like in 2013 , The Pats will once again look to outscore their opponents with a high powered offense and the Defense will still be giving up tons of yards between the 20's with hopes of some redzone stops. I dont see why/how people are seeing this drastic change based on a couple of personell moves. I mean dont we have the same team returning on Defense, with a couple of minor upgrades?  Kelly and A.Wilson are gonna catapult us to an Elite, top 5 Defense?  # 1 even, according to Wozzy. Please put the Kool- Aid down....smh

Be available when the regular season starts, try not to disappear.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

To me their biggest regret will be not using that extra $5mil room they have earlier in the FA period for an extra CB or DT. There were plenty to chose from who signed short term deals in the range of $5mil. That would afford them $5mil to go into the season with and have that added depth.

I said it aat the beginning of the FA period and was told by some to calm down that they would spend it. But if they don't use every dime this year (considering they carried over $5mil from last year) than they are going to regret letting starting caliber players in FA go when cheap deals were available.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Biggest regret?  Getting rid of both Deadrick and Love.  One of them I can understand, but both was full of foolish optimism. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

The instant someone starts throwing around names like Branch and Stallworth as losses kind of lcues you into how well they actually follow New England. Those guys are washed up and irrelevant. At one point they were good, but not anymore.

Anyone seriously watching the team knew that NE needed a total overall at SE and Flanker. You can't live off vets, has beens, and JAGS at a whole roster spot and succeed. Any roster spot. At some point you need to invest in youth.

IT was the same situation when NE went whole hog on Ridley and Vereen and Bolden in the same season.

Same situation when they doubled down on Hern and Gronkowski.

It was the same philosphy each time. They went into a draft with a real, specific need position, and addressed it in numbers.

The Dobson, Boyce, Thomkins crew should yeild one if not two quality starters, and maybe a legit star.  

This writer has one leg to stand on: Welker v Amendola, and I might have brought Looyd back for continuity, even if he's obviously in decline (see dropping RAC and AVG every season).

One point, yeah, DA's injury history is a concern.

Another, Welker's age is as well.

It's almost a wash to me. Welker has a ton of miles on him, and could break down.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

I think most of the optimism is about the leap from second year players.

Specificaly: Jones, Dennard, and Hightower. 

All three flashed the building blocks of being stars last season. 

I really didn't like Love, so I think Kelly is an automatic upgrade, even if he's a stop-gap. 

IF the young ones take another step, the defense will, indeed, be improved. 

#1? 

I'd like to see that prediction in print. Yards or points or what? That would be quite a large leap. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsBermuda. Show PatsBermuda's posts

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:

I like the youth movement at WR, glad it happened. I could not have bear another heartbreaking loss of some veteran dropping a catch that could have sealed the game.

Love the youth move...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

The instant someone starts throwing around names like Branch and Stallworth as losses kind of lcues you into how well they actually follow New England. Those guys are washed up and irrelevant. At one point they were good, but not anymore.

Anyone seriously watching the team knew that NE needed a total overall at SE and Flanker. You can't live off vets, has beens, and JAGS at a whole roster spot and succeed. Any roster spot. At some point you need to invest in youth.

IT was the same situation when NE went whole hog on Ridley and Vereen and Bolden in the same season.

Same situation when they doubled down on Hern and Gronkowski.

It was the same philosphy each time. They went into a draft with a real, specific need position, and addressed it in numbers.

The Dobson, Boyce, Thomkins crew should yeild one if not two quality starters, and maybe a legit star.  

This writer has one leg to stand on: Welker v Amendola, and I might have brought Looyd back for continuity, even if he's obviously in decline (see dropping RAC and AVG every season).

One point, yeah, DA's injury history is a concern.

Another, Welker's age is as well.

It's almost a wash to me. Welker has a ton of miles on him, and could break down.  

Agreed, the Pats certainly doubled down with those picks.  Good post.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Be available when the regular season starts, try not to disappear.

I aint going  nowhere Wozzy! I would like nothing better to come here and eat crow about our defense. I dont want to spoil anyones hopes and I appreciate fans positive approach but I just dont see how anyone expects that kind of jump. Whats changed? We are still a bend but dont break defense that doesnt rush the passer well and has issues in the back end with our safeties and a secondary that is still one injury away from S*cking. Are you expecting a huge jump from Hightower and Jones? Im serious, I just wanna know what you are basing this off of. Tell me the reasons why we are gonna Ascend into the upper echelon of defenses THIS year?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I aint going  nowhere Wozzy! I would like nothing better to come here and eat crow about our defense. I dont want to spoil anyones hopes and I appreciate fans positive approach but I just dont see how anyone expects that kind of jump. Whats changed? We are still a bend but dont break defense that doesnt rush the passer well and has issues in the back end with our safeties and a secondary that is still one injury away from S*cking. Are you expecting a huge jump from Hightower and Jones? Im serious, I just wanna know what you are basing this off of. Tell me the reasons why we are gonna Ascend into the upper echelon of defenses THIS year?

Kelly, Armstead (sight unseen), Fortson and Grissom are huge upgrades to Love and Deaderick.  The biggest problem this defense has had for the past 4-5 years has been rushing the passer, this will change significantly with a healthy more talented defensive tackle group.

Our linebacker corps are a year older, Chandler Jones and Hightower should make a big leap, Nincovich will have the luxury of playing at his more natural outside linebacker position, Spikes will be playing for a contract, Mayo will be surrounded by quality talent on all sides now and will thrive as a play maker, the biggest addition may come from the rookie, Collins is ultra fast and lastly Dane Fletcher is the perfect swing guy who can play anywhere.  We haven't been this deep or talented at linebacker at any time in Belichick's tenure, another reason we should play more 3/4.

I don't know where all this hand wringing comes from regarding the secondary (besides that it happens EVERY year) but this unit looks solid and if the front is as strong as it appears it won't matter anyway if they're not.  Logan Ryan had a pick 6 in practice with the Bucs yesterday, Harmon looks like he knows where he's supposed to be on every play and beyond being athletic enough that was his only question mark, Adrian Wilson and McCourty will be one of the best safety tandems in the NFL and assuming Dennard is a free man, he and Talib are the two press corners you want.  Arrington is a shut down nickel corner, yes he's a liability on the edge but inside he is special.  Cole is a great 5-6th man and solid special teamer.  McCourty and Gregory can swing between corner and safety and is very often the fastest guy on the field.  Behind all these guys we have Tavon and depth pieces who will work themselves into a roll.

Another huge aspect for this defense is the offense.  With bigger better tightends and more physical offensive line we will possess a power running game that can control the clock and keep opposing offenses off the field.  Our defense will be well rested so they can attack and they'll be substantially better on third downs with the addition of A Wilson and an interior pass rush.

Just be here when it happens... I'm sure you'll be happy to be wrong.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Kelly, Armstead (sight unseen), Fortson and Grissom are huge upgrades to Love and Deaderick.  The biggest problem this defense has had for the past 4-5 years has been rushing the passer, this will change significantly with a healthy more talented defensive tackle group.

Our linebacker corps are a year older, Chandler Jones and Hightower should make a big leap, Nincovich will have the luxury of playing at his more natural outside linebacker position, Spikes will be playing for a contract, Mayo will be surrounded by quality talent on all sides now and will thrive as a play maker, the biggest addition may come from the rookie, Collins is ultra fast and lastly Dane Fletcher is the perfect swing guy who can play anywhere.  We haven't been this deep or talented at linebacker at any time in Belichick's tenure, another reason we should play more 3/4.

I don't know where all this hand wringing comes from regarding the secondary (besides that it happens EVERY year) but this unit looks solid and if the front is as strong as it appears it won't matter anyway if they're not.  Logan Ryan had a pick 6 in practice with the Bucs yesterday, Harmon looks like he knows where he's supposed to be on every play and beyond being athletic enough that was his only question mark, Adrian Wilson and McCourty will be one of the best safety tandems in the NFL and assuming Dennard is a free man, he and Talib are the two press corners you want.  Arrington is a shut down nickel corner, yes he's a liability on the edge but inside he is special.  Cole is a great 5-6th man and solid special teamer.  McCourty and Gregory can swing between corner and safety and is very often the fastest guy on the field.  Behind all these guys we have Tavon and depth pieces who will work themselves into a roll.

Another huge aspect for this defense is the offense.  With bigger better tightends and more physical offensive line we will possess a power running game that can control the clock and keep opposing offenses off the field.  Our defense will be well rested so they can attack and they'll be substantially better on third downs with the addition of A Wilson and an interior pass rush.

Just be here when it happens... I'm sure you'll be happy to be wrong.

Thanks for the reply man. I appreciate it. I think a lot of what you are depending on his still hopeful and not concrete enough for me. You say Kelly, Fortson and Grissom will be upgrades to our line from Deaderick and Love. Ok, I agree Kelly should help our line, but how can we say 2 undrafted rookies are gonna play better than the guys who played last year? Doesnt say much about Love and Deaderick. So we are to believe the NEXT set of undrafted guys will be much better? - Wash

2nd year guys making a leap - I agree C.Jones should be better a year removed, but I liked what I saw from him as a rookie but injury stumped him. He was good vs the run. Him being on the field all season is the biggest jump I see there. Hightower was brought along slow last year. I liked his game and the one knock I saw is he was thinking too much and not trusting his eyes in the run game and reading his keys too late and taking himself out of plays. That should improve and help our run D, but I dont see how Hightower is gonna help much in the passing game. I also like Fletch but he hasnt shown he can stay healthy. Collins has talent, we havent seen how it will be used yet, but he looked lost his 1st game. Can BB find a role for him to flourish in? - Better

If I have to tell you why the secondary has been picked on than you and I are watching a different team. Cant comment on that.

I disagree that Arringtong is a shut down nickel CB. far from it. He had trouble all year until he turned the corner late and had a good game vs Bess in Miami. Earlier in the year he was a turnstyle. He is waaay overated on this board. We are one injury away from HIM being outside and our DBs always get hurt.  Adrian Wilson I like, but lets be honest, we all wish he was 8 years younger. I dont know whats it gonna look like. If they keep him in the box, we may be ok, but u cant play single high safety all game in this league.

BIgger, Better Tight Ends???   How so? Fells, Hooman, Gronk were all here last year. YOU are assuming Sudfeld is gonna be better than Hernandez?? I'll wait on that.

Despite all the talk of MORE running, the passing game has looked fine and we are not turning into a smashmouth team I dont care what article you read. Your defense has to also be much better in order to run more. We havent seen the D with real bullets yet. I expect a bit more running, but this is still a passing team until I see otherwise.

2004 was the deepest LB corp we have ever had to date. Dont sell a SB winning group short for some on paper improvements. You are putting Dane Fletcher in the mix who doesnt even have an NFL resume yet?!?@? Over Willie Mac, Bruschi, Ted Johnson, Vrabel, Phifer, etc. Sorry I disagree with that also. Sounds like youve been drinking kool aid early today. Really wozzy, its all HOPE. NOt enough concrete reasons for me to believe they will be top 5, never mind # 1. They should be much better, but remember where we were. Very good at points allowed but near last in yards allowed. Our Redzone D has been up and down the past 5 years. I'll even add that we should be better due to same guys returning, but its still a thin group in the back end

Sections
Shortcuts