Patriots/Bills Game Thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxpatsfan08. Show Soxpatsfan08's posts

Re: Patriots/Bills Pre-Game Thread

we got a lot of guys out tomorrow but i still think we can hold on for the win.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

What amazes me is that Tom Brady misses a practice with the flu...and the next day he's back, practicing outside in sub-freezing temperatures. Just how healthy is Tom? My guess is that he'll be fine...and that the Pats will win today. Here are the keys to winning:

1.) Contain Bills' RB Fred Jackson: BB always tries to take away an opposing teams' best weapon. The Bills best weapon is RB Fred Jackson. Jackson is a dual threat, as he can beat you as a runner, or as a receiver. He's outstanding on screens and swing passes. Jackson has rushed for 811 yards this year, averaging a respectable 4.1 yards per carry...and has caught 28 passes for an additional 191 yards. The guy always seems to play well against the Pats. At one time, that had led me to believe that he would some day be a Patriot. But, unfortunately, the Bills were smart enough to sign him to a multi-year extension in August: http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/article167612.ece

As for rookie Bills' rookie RB, C.J. Spiller? He's been a disappointment: http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20101223/SPORTS03/12230322/1021

2.) Get Off to a Fast Start: Don't give the Bills hope! Take them, and the crowd, out early by jumping off to, say, a 14-0 lead;

3.) Special Teams Must be Special: The Bills have over the past few years been dangerous on kick returns. With windy, frigid conditions forecasted, this should be a concern for the Pats. In similar weather conditions in their beat-down of the Bears in Chicago, the one negative the Pats had in that game was their kick coverage;

4.) Defend the Big Play: WR Stevie Johnson has replaced the injured Lee Evans as the Bills' deep threat. For those of you who don't know Johnson, he's the guy that was inconsolable, and blamed God, after dropping what would have been a game winning 50 plus yard TD pass in OT against the Steelers, a couple of weeks ago. Nonetheless, Johnson is having a breakout year, with 72 receptions for 943 yards, and 10 TDs: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=11458. Not too shabby for a 7th round draft choice, out of the weak 2008 draft class. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Hey with Hernandez out and the inactive list already close to full maybe we'll actually see Price in uniform . . . whether he makes the field or not, though, is another question . . .

With all the injuries/illnesses, this could be a tough game today.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CharlestonDude. Show CharlestonDude's posts

Has Edelman regressed in the mental aspect of the game?  He doesn't seem to be ready when the ball is delivered.  Without Hernandez, Woody sees more touches on screens.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

Think I read or heard somewhere that the Bills give up over 150 yards per game on the ground - let's hope Law Firm and Woodhead are healthy and ready to rip.  I don't want to leave anything to chance, win today and it doesn't matter what the heck happens with everyone else.  GO PATS!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots/Bills Pre-Game Thread:
    [QUOTE]Rocky, things look rather thin on the D side of things. There are enough options on O to cope with AH's absence. However on the D side there seems to be a few too many absentees for my liking. Here's hoping they don't pick up any additional injury problems 2day. Anyway I guess as BB would say it's time for the next guy to just step up and do his job.
    Posted by irishfanatic[/QUOTE]

One thing I love is how BB makes things work with what he has

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Quick-hit thoughts Pats

December, 26, 2010

By Mike Reiss
    Quick-hit thoughts around the NFL and with the Patriots:

1. The importance of the Patriots earning a first-round playoff bye -- which would happen with a win today against the Bills -- was reflected in the team downgrading six players to out last night. The team is hurt and locking up the bye would give Bill Belichick a chance to manage parts of his roster so the club is as close to full strength as possible for its first playoff game.

2. One of the lasting images from the Patriots' locker room this week was seeing multiple containers of hand sanitizer on the table that players walk by when entering. The flu hit some members of the team hard.

3. Here is one take on defensive lineman Landon Cohen, who signed with the Patriots this week, from an NFL coach familiar with him: "He is kind of an undersized d-tackle. Great kid. Good personality. High effort guy, tries hard. Not great balance, but comes off the ball hard, a high-motor type guy. He was a smaller guy drafted in the Tampa-2 style in Detroit when Rod Marinelli was there. So I'm not sure where he would fit in New England." When I hear that, I think Cohen strictly projects as an interior sub rusher for the Patriots at this point. 

7. With quarterback Tom Brady battling flu-like symptoms this week, it brought back memories of the AFC championship game after the 2004 season in Pittsburgh. The numbers didn't necessarily show it, but as Michael Silver chronicled in Sports Illustrated, it was one of the all-time great performances by Brady given the sickness he battled through.

9. Patriots receiver Brandon Tate had his two kickoff returns for touchdowns in Week 1 and 4 of the season, and the impact of those big returns is still evident with opponents kicking away from him. That was one aspect of Dan Connolly's 71-yard return last week that was easy to overlook -- the reason Connolly had the opportunity was because the Packers were playing keep-away from Tate.

10. The Patriots have just nine turnovers this season (5 interceptions; 4 fumbles) with two games remaining. The NFL record for fewest turnovers in a season is 12 by Kansas City in the strike-shortened 1982 season. The fewest turnovers in a 16-game season is 13 by the Giants and Dolphins in 2008.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

shalise manza young shalisemyoung In the Globe: Defensive line is fluid yet solid -

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2010/12/26/defensive_line_is_fluid_yet_solid/?camp=localsearch:on:twit:young

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Mike Reiss MikeReiss

Weather for today's game in Buffalo calls for temps in the low 20s at kickoff. Snow flurries possible. Winds in 17 mph range (Weather.com).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Ian R. Rapoport RapSheet

RapSheet: Patriots-Bills predictions, anyone? (Week 16) … and links!

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/index.php/2010/12/26/patriots-bills-predictions-anyone-week-16-%e2%80%a6-and-links/

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Welcome to Ralph Wilson Stadium

December, 26, 2010

By Mike Reiss
    BUFFALO -- Welcome to Ralph Wilson Stadium, where the Patriots visit the Bills today (CBS, 1 p.m. ET):

Weather conditions. The temperature is expected to be around 22 degrees by kickoff, with a 10 percent chance of precipitation, according to Weather.com. The chances of snow flurries increase around 3 p.m. Winds project to be around 17 miles per hour.

What's at stake. If the Patriots win, they will clinch the AFC East championship, a first-round bye in the playoffs, and home-field advantage throughout the AFC playoffs.

Riveron gets the call. Al Riveron has been assigned to referee today's game.

Two more players to downgrade. The Patriots will downgrade two more players 90 minutes before kickoff. They have already ruled out tight end Aaron Hernandez (hip), outside linebacker Jermaine Cunningham (calf), right guard Dan Connolly (concussion), and defensive linemen Brandon Deaderick (shoulder), Mike Wright (concussion) and Myron Pryor (back).

How snow at home affects Patriots post-game. One subplot to today's game will be if the Patriots can make it home after the game because of snow back home in New England. This could be a case where the Patriots run the hurry-up "offense" after the game in an attempt to beat the storm. Director of Football Operations Matt Caracciolo figures to be busy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Thanks for letting us know Tim!

Bills could exploit Patriots at least two ways

December, 26, 2010
    In previewing what appears to be a lopsided mismatch to some, ESPN Stats & Information focuses on a couple ways the Buffalo Bills can take advantage of the New England Patriots.

No, seriously.

The Bills did score 30 points at Gillette Stadium in Week 3, and they've gotten much better in the meantime, taking the Baltimore Ravens, Kansas City Chiefs and Pittsburgh Steelers into overtime.

Two matchup trends that stood out to ESPN researchers Katie Sharp and Ryan Cleary were the Patriots' defensive vulnerabilities on play-action passes and third-down conversions.

The Patriots have the NFL's worst defense against play-action passes, allowing a league-high 77.1 completion percentage and a 109.1 passer rating. Bills quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick isn't a frequent play-action passer, but he has been effective when he has tried it.

The Patriots' third-down defense is worst in the NFL. They're allowing opponents to move the chains on 49.2 percent of their third downs. That would be one of the most ineffective third-down defenses since the NFL-AFL merger.

Furthermore, as ESPN Stats & Information points out, the Patriots send four pass-rushers on third-and-long 72.7 percent of the time. Fitzpatrick happens to be efficient there. When he throws in that situation, the Bills convert an amazing 41.9 percent for first downs.

Fitzpatrick has completed 62.8 percent of his passes on third-and-long against four pass rushers for 362 yards and three touchdowns with one interception for a 103.1 passer rating.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking11. Show harleyroadking11's posts

Who's filling in at right guard? Last game Wendal came in for Connelly because Ohrnberger was scratched. Lbers will be Nichovich, Mayo Guyton and Fletcher. 
    DL will need another heroic performance from Vince to stop Jackson.

this game won't be easy, we're about even with the personnel we have out

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

[QUOTE]Who's filling in at right guard? Last game Wendal came in for Connelly because Ohrnberger was scratched. Lbers will be Nichovich, Mayo Guyton and Fletcher.  DL will need another heroic performance from Vince to stop Jackson. this game won't be easy, we're about even with the personnel we have out
    Posted by harleyroadking11[/QUOTE]

Mike Reiss....."five-year vet Quinn Ojinnaka the candidates to start at right guard."

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

[QUOTE]Think I read or heard somewhere that the Bills give up over 150 yards per game on the ground - let's hope Law Firm and Woodhead are healthy and ready to rip.  I don't want to leave anything to chance, win today and it doesn't matter what the heck happens with everyone else.  GO PATS!
    Posted by gr82bme[/QUOTE]
    The Bills are last in the NFL in rushing defense giving up 158.6 Yds/g.
    However, they held the Miami Dolphins last week to 65 yards.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking11. Show harleyroadking11's posts

Thanks Rocky, gotta admit I've never heard of the guy, hope he plays with an attitude this is his chance to show what he can do.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from irishfanatic. Show irishfanatic's posts

[QUOTE]Think I read or heard somewhere that the Bills give up over 150 yards per game on the ground - let's hope Law Firm and Woodhead are healthy and ready to rip.  I don't want to leave anything to chance, win today and it doesn't matter what the heck happens with everyone else.  GO PATS!
    Posted by gr82bme[/QUOTE]

With an added splash of Freddy T. Get our O to control the clock and give the depleted D less time on the field.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanadianPat. Show CanadianPat's posts

I felt more confident about going into Pittsburgh and then at home agst the Jets, than I do about today's game.  This is going to be a tough, ugly one for the Pats. Buff is going to test our depleted D-Line, and likely have some success. 

Hopefully da Bears do us a favor and make this game moot.

For Pats to win, given the IR list, Tate needs to make something happen, i.e. BIG special play(s) and a Moss-like long bomb play.  Also Law Firm/Woody need to rush for +150 yds to keep our D off the field.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

The Pats have something to play for. I wouldn't want to be playing them today. The bills are making tee times. If we get an early jump on them they'll go cincinnati on us.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Ian R. Rapoport RapSheet Wes Welker is out on the field with no sleeves on. I think he likes the cold... Or, is crazy

Pierre Woods, now a Bills player, is hugging former Patriots like Julian Edelman (his ex-roomie), BenJarvus Green-Ellis, etc

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking11. Show harleyroadking11's posts

Phil I gotta disagree with you, Buffalo has played hard all year and haven't laid down for anyone. The Bills would love nothing more than to stick it to us today and show that they're not going to rollover despite the difference in records

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from irishfanatic. Show irishfanatic's posts

[QUOTE]Phil I gotta disagree with you, Buffalo has played hard all year and haven't laid down for anyone. The Bills would love nothing more than to stick it to us today and show that they're not going to rollover despite the difference in records
    Posted by harleyroadking11[/QUOTE]

In addition to the fact I'm pretty sure they would like to end the losing streak to the Pats. Today would be 15 in a row.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

The Bills are 4-2 in their last 6 games, with one of those losses to the Steelers. A dropped pass in the endzone prevented a win in OT.

Their 4 wins came against the mighty Lions, Bengals, Browns and Dolphins.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

That drive has to last thru the half. If we jump on them I believe they quit trying as hard. They havn't beat anyone. Yes been close in games but in the end its the wins that matter.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

With the defense being a little thin today we've got to hope the Pats get off to a quick start, score early and often, and force the Bills into pure passing situations - the Pats are most thin on the D-line right now and are suspectible to the same type of game plan as the Packers ran last week - power running

The good news is that the Pats are mostly healthy on offense and can still score the ball on anyone - they need to control the clock much better than they did last week - do that and take of the football and they'll post the clinching W