Patriots-Bills season opening game thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: Patriots-Bills season opening game thread

In Response to Re: Patriots-Bills season opening game thread:
    The Pats were just handed a gift-wrapped win by the Bills, and you guys are arguing about a stupid penalty? Rejoice!!!
    Posted by scoobs7

I am arguing because the Bills were lucky to have that lead, and the refs, plus obvious offensive rust in the first half, combined for that luck.

The penalty on Thomas almost cost NE the game, and that wasn't even close to "driving the QB" into the ground. In fact, I can link to video from last season where AT does the same thing to Favre (and Washington, lol) and there is no flag.

Silly.

It mars an otherwise solid performance by the young defense by giving Buff another shot. And it almost cost NE the game.

Thankfully Meriweather came up big with the huge hit and strip on special teams. Reminded me of a young Harrison from when he played special teams full time as well.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyyy. Show mikeyyy's posts

The Pats were just handed a gift-wrapped win by the Bills, and you guys are arguing about a stupid penalty? Rejoice!!!
    Posted by scoobs7

Your wife just asked me why you can't be more like Tom (OK, she had to mumble it) . . . . . what should I tell her?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

I will tell you the one thing I don't like in the NFL are the hits after a players is down.  Just saw one in the SD game.  Rodney Harrison did it all the time.  It is essentially a shot at a defenseless player.  Sometimes they cannot be stopped but frequently I think they are intentional.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

Didn't see the whole game but want to congratulate pats fans.  If another team's stupidity is how the pats win games, then given the preseason anointing of the pats by all pundits, the rest of the league actually has a chance.
    Posted by underdogg

Your post does not make sense.  I think what you are saying is that the Patriots did not look very good in this game and only won because of Buffalo mistakes.  Is that it?  If so, first of all, are the Patriots the first team to win a game because another team coughed it up?  I suppose the Colts never win that way.  Second, why do you think you can take so much from one game?  It's the first game of the season, Brady has not played in a year, the team is full of players new to the NFL or new to the Patriots.  I am going to turn this around and say that since the Colts only scored 14 points in their first game, the rest of the league has little to fear from them this year.  The Patriots obviously got lucky tonight, but they also played extremely well when they needed to, and at the end of the game, Brady looked like someone the league should fear once again.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots-Bills season opening game thread : Are you mental? They only gave up 17 points against a team with nearly as many weapons as we have. 
    Posted by 49Patriots

Right. Anyone who thinks the Bills aren't going to score *bunches* of points this season is crazy.

T.O. and Lee Evans are likely the best 1-2 in the NFL. If not Moss Welker, of course. But they are neck and neck IMO. And Jackson/Lynch is an awesome pair of RB's.

Wait until Buff plays some weaker teams, they are going to get some major points. And NE held them in check.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paulawht63. Show Paulawht63's posts

Someone must really like those Pats up there

Some one really must like the  Patriots up stairs
    Cause the entire game they were sloppy, There defense Stinks  Pats really need to work On everything After tonight  Brady's throws were off welker kept dropping the ball. Pats never use to have a problem 4th and short But Tonight they couldn't do anything

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots-Bills season opening game thread : First b/c VW didn't lead with his helmet. Second b/c the new rule to protect the QB is about hits to the lower legs: i.e. knees or below. And third b/c that is the second time you brought this up in this thread and tried to characterize it as the Pats being victimized by something that Brady did (as if the Pats created athe new rule).  You are trying to hard.
    Posted by bostatewarrior

Well

1.  What I remember of the hit, he did lead with his head (I'll admit I could be wrong) we'll know later. 
    2.  I agree with you but I am telling you that's why the flag was thrown and others agree. 
    3.  The only reason we have the rule is because of the brady injury - period.  It happened to other QB's before, but not until Brady was hit did the rule go in the books.  Thus the brady rule.  Its not his fault, but it was the hit on him that caused it to be created.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Didn't see the whole game but want to congratulate pats fans.  If another team's stupidity is how the pats win games, then given the preseason anointing of the pats by all pundits, the rest of the league actually has a chance.
    Posted by underdogg

So, a team wins ugly!!  I can count a few games in which your Colts won when the other team played stupidly.  Could it be the sign of a good team to still win even when the signs were pointing to a loss?  I guess your Colts always won "pretty"!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from khcy34. Show khcy34's posts

Patriots looked desperate. Got lucky as usual. No heart. All business. Did you see Brady leaving the field while the ball was still in play? So smug and unsportsmanlike.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots-Bills season opening game thread : I didn't say I was right, but my opinion of why it was called is BS?
    Posted by underdogg

First b/c VW didn't lead with his helmet. Second b/c the new rule to protect the QB is about hits to the lower legs: i.e. knees or below. And third b/c that is the second time you brought this up in this thread and tried to characterize it as the Pats being victimized by something that Brady did (as if the Pats created athe new rule). 

You are trying to hard.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from scoobs7. Show scoobs7's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots-Bills season opening game thread : Your wife just asked me why you can't be more like Tom (OK, she had to mumble it) . . . . . what should I tell her?
    Posted by mikeyyy

Can't be my wife because you're gay.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I will tell you the one thing I don't like in the NFL are the hits after a players is down.  Just saw one in the SD game.  Rodney Harrison did it all the time.  It is essentially a shot at a defenseless player.  Sometimes they cannot be stopped but frequently I think they are intentional.
    Posted by underdogg

It depends on whether the player has been touched or not. If he hasn't, then he is fair game.

Oh wait. If he is a QB, you can't hit him on the ground if he slides. LOL. Another rule.

The point is defenseless in your terms, and defenseless in the NFL's terms are two different things.

By NFL rules defenseless means the play was dead when the hit occured. That was why Ed Reed wasn't fined for piling on last year. It was *nasty* but legal.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from iclaudius. Show iclaudius's posts

...We need help w/the O-line, they are terrible. ... A good O-line w/Taylor we pound that 2-point conversion. If we become a pass only team, could be a long season. ..
    Posted by portnh

I've put up 2 threads about the O-line, and they got a total of 6 posts.
    After tonight's pathetic performance, there may now be some traction.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots-Bills season opening game thread : Well 1.  What I remember of the hit, he did lead with his head (I'll admit I could be wrong) we'll know later.  2.  I agree with you but I am telling you that's why the flag was thrown and others agree.  3.  The only reason we have the rule is because of the brady injury - period.  It happened to other QB's before, but not until Brady was hit did the rule go in the books.  Thus the brady rule.  Its not his fault, but it was the hit on him that caused it to be created.
    Posted by underdogg

Fair enough

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

Where the heck did Trent Edwards come from?  He was always a bum.  And probably will be again next week.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyyy. Show mikeyyy's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots-Bills season opening game thread : Can't be my wife because you're gay.
    Posted by scoobs7

You're right, I am . . . Just a sign how desperate things have become in your household. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Trent Edwards was on fire last season for a bit. He cooled off, but is young and getting better. He is far from the biggest concern the Bills have. Like last season, they need to stay healthy.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from khcy34. Show khcy34's posts

Patriots will be lucky if they go 8-8. Unless they resort to cheating of course.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyyy. Show mikeyyy's posts

Patriots will be lucky if they go 8-8. Unless they resort to cheating of course.
    Posted by khcy34

Whatever it takes. . . . and feel free to share that view with your therapy group tomorrow.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots-Bills season opening game thread : It depends on whether the player has been touched or not. If he hasn't, then he is fair game. Oh wait. If he is a QB, you can't hit him on the ground if he slides. LOL. Another rule. The point is defenseless in your terms, and defenseless in the NFL's terms are two different things. By NFL rules defenseless means the play was dead when the hit occured. That was why Ed Reed wasn't fined for piling on last year. It was *nasty* but legal.
    Posted by zbellino

Z - I am talking about after an RB or WR has been tackled and a second or third player shows up about a second later to deliver his little bit of love

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots-Bills season opening game thread : Z - I am talking about after an RB or WR has been tackled and a second or third player shows up about a second later to deliver his little bit of love
    Posted by underdogg

As long as he wasn't already 'launched' that is a flag. And rightly so.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qcubed. Show Qcubed's posts

Posted by khcy34

two posts?  do you happen to be a troll?  lol.

Pats will be 13-3 and win another SB ring.  stay tuned...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from khcy34. Show khcy34's posts

you are only upset because you know it is true.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots-Bills season opening game thread : As long as he wasn't already 'launched' that is a flag. And rightly so.
    Posted by zbellino

That is what I am talking about and I think it happens frequently in the league.  Difficult judgement call which is why I don't think it is called.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts