Patriots, Brandon Lloyd close to agreement

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

Patriots, Brandon Lloyd close to agreement

According to Shalise Manza Young:

Patriots have Brandon Lloyd and LaRon Landry on their radar

Patriots fans have been frustrated by what’s perceived as a lack of activity by the team since free agency opened Tuesday.

But if New England locks up Brandon Lloyd, a likely starting receiver, and LaRon Landry, a likely starting safety, they’d probably have a much rosier outlook on things.

Well that could happen this weekend.

A league source Friday night said that the 30-year-old Lloyd and the Patriots were “close’’ to coming to a contract agreement. Once it’s finalized, the team could potentially have the outside-the-numbers receiving threat it has been lacking since Randy Moss was traded a quarter of the way into the 2010 season.

Lloyd did numerous interviews before the start of free agency, and in nearly every one he praised the Patriots, saying he was interested in playing for New England and offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, his head coach in Denver. Being so open in his desire to play for them likely didn’t help Lloyd’s leverage with the team, though agent Tom Condon tried to create some interest when Lloyd visited with San Francisco Wednesday.

The Patriots are very interested in Landry, who was expected to arrive in Foxborough Friday night.

His physical will go a long way toward deciding whether he gets a contract offer. He’s missed 15 games the past two seasons because of an Achilles’ injury.

At least four other teams, including the Jets, are thought to be interested in Landry.

Lloyd missed most of the 2009 season, his first in Denver, with injuries, but a year later he finally - eight years into his career - delivered on the promise he’d been flashing. He led the league with 1,448 yards on 77 catches, adding 11 touchdowns.

McDaniels was fired toward the end of the 2010 season, but a year later, as the Rams’ offensive coordinator, he acquired Lloyd from Denver during an in-season trade, and he quickly became the best receiver on a roster starving for talent at the position, with 51 catches for 683 yards in 11 games with St. Louis.

Since the Rams were able to get Lloyd for a conditional sixth-round pick, a low price for a player who’d been atop the league in yards a year earlier, plus Lloyd’s stated loyalty to McDaniels, there didn’t promise to be a huge market for him in free agency.

Also on Friday, another veteran receiver revealed that the Patriots had pursued him: on his Facebook page, Reggie Wayne hinted that he chose to return to the Colts over coming to New England, and a league source confirmed that the Patriots had in fact gone after Wayne.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mooney12. Show Mooney12's posts

Re: Patriots, Brandon Lloyd close to agreement

Are you sure or making this up.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bubthegrub12. Show Bubthegrub12's posts

I did read on NFL.com that Wayne was down to NE and returning to Indy. He's posted it on his own website. I guess the Colts offered more. I wouldn't be adverse to Lloyd, as long as McDaniels can keep his head straight. While I'd love to see a player with Landry's talent at safety, I am still a bit concerned about that achilles. They have had enough defenders on IR, and need someone who'll be around for the playoffs (something he didn't have to worry about with the Skins). But for all the talk about Lloyd, I haven't heard that he's visited Foxboro. Being Patriots fans we have to learn to be patient...though it's hard to do!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

In response to "Re: Patriots, Brandon Lloyd close to agreement": [QUOTE]Are you sure or making this up. Posted by Mooney12[/QUOTE] If it is from Bostonglobe.com, I bet that Shalise is not making this up.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

to mooney 12

http://bostonglobe.com/sports/2012/03/17/patriots-have-brandon-lloyd-and-laron-landry-their-radar/NNKG3sJakD0qlR3nqx6omN/story.html

thats what she says league sources say it's close to a deal.

well see

thanks bgomez

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Both Lloyd and Landry would solid upgrades. When they get them under contract they should concentrate on BJGE and trying to take care of Welker long term. Then unless they are serious about trying to steal from the Ravens or Steelers for Webb or Wallace it should be on to the draft and taking care of their own players like Anderson and Carter...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

I'm with bub on this one right here...  Normerly, I'm just very much adverse towards guys whom have done enough to warrant the label of the star-treatment, prima dona, head-case wideout (or anything) who has caused decent sized ripples inside various seperate team waterways.  And I don't mean "OchoCinco brand prima dona"...  Tweeting alot and doing silly stunts after scoring a Touchdown simply to keep the Cinci fans & yourself awake, while still performing like a pro-bowler each and every year on the absolute j0ke of a franchise that'cha been loyal to your entire NFL career=NOT diva-like behavior in my book...and in any way, for that matter. 

But Lloyd would pose me to place the deeper spirit of his full mindset, motives, and values, under a bit of a closer inspection (Not Albert Haynesworth "closer"...but somewhere in between the two)...  YET, when I see a friendly contract added inside the fact of Lloyd's tight-knit respect for a guy of my coaching tree who's now NE's Top Coordinator once more...?  This allows for much more levy within the benefit of doubt.  It shows me IMMEDIATELY that ALL your loyalties aren't don't neccesarily solely revolve around, You yourself at all times.

I'd be happy with simply resigning Carter, BJGE, the NE FA's we've already resigned, + Lloyd, Gregory @ Safety, and the 2 underrated but serviceable D-Linemen we've signed in FA.  Honestly, I too, was sorta confused when I read on the FA wire, that we didn't kick the tires on Boothe (or was it Boss?)- Big vet TE who got signed on the cheap, and who could fill in very adequately with or for Gronk (comparative to other options, not Gronk's mad skills himself).  Ya wanna add in Landry, or someone like Aaron Ross..or (and maybe along WITH) maybe an all-purpose LB'er who might take some bucks to sign but certainly not a ton, such as Erin Henderson- And I'd be ecstatic if this was the haul before our 6 picks in the first half of The NFL Draft.    

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Also being reported on ProFootballTalk...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/17/report-patriots-brandon-lloyd-close-to-a-deal/

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I think lloyd deal gets done this weekend, and landry will leave without a contract. Mcdaniels was down at lsu this past week. The article says he was scouting a safety, but my bet is Reuben randle. The pats adding Lloyd and randle via the draft would be a thing of beauty. Question is, do they keep Ocho and branch?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots, Brandon Lloyd close to agreement:
    [QUOTE]I think lloyd deal gets done this weekend, and landry will leave without a contract. Mcdaniels was down at lsu this past week. The article says he was scouting a safety, but my bet is Reuben randle. The pats adding Lloyd and randle via the draft would be a thing of beauty. Question is, do they keep Ocho and branch?
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

I like that McD has had some success with drafting "bigger" WR's (i.e. Thomas/Decker).  I'm sure that LSU visit was all encompassing, but I agree, Randle had to have been high on his list of prospects to check out.  Kid has excellent RAC ability/COD for a "bigger" WR.

I could see both Branch & Ocho being brought into camp though there'd be no guarantee on either making the team.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

I dont think signing Lloyd is a good idea. He is a total nut job.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

[QUOTE]     I dont think signing Lloyd is a good idea. He is a total nut job.
    Posted by jerh5[/QUOTE]

McDaniels wouldn't recommend Lloyd to BB if he didn't think he would fit into the Patriots way of doing things. Plus Lloyd gets it. How many receivers have the Patriots had in that just couldn't comprehend the offense! Also Lloyd has not played with a QB like Brady. This could be a tremendous fit.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]     I dont think signing Lloyd is a good idea. He is a total nut job.
    Posted by jerh5[/QUOTE]

If they're gonna make a play for a WR with some issues, I prefer it be a player that the OC is very, very familiar with.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Great Young reporting it. Now the deal will never get done  >.<

I wonder why even mention Landry in the headline if Young didn't even mention him in the article? Did Young just feel like tossing a big name out there to grab more hits?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots, Brandon Lloyd close to agreement : McDaniels wouldn't recommend Lloyd to BB if he didn't think he would fit into the Patriots way of doing things. Plus Lloyd gets it. How many receivers have the Patriots had in that just couldn't comprehend the offense! Also Lloyd has not played with a QB like Brady. This could be a tremendous fit.
    Posted by GO47[/QUOTE]

The only thing I can say to that is McDaniels recommended Maroney...just because a coach wants/recommends a guy doesn't mean that it's the right thing to do. McDaniels was fired for a reason in Denver. Llyod at least has some NFL production recently and it appears to be because of the way McDaniels uses him, so maybe this will work out just fine. On the other hand he is a known head case that has been described as bipolar by players around the league.

Personally I think any receiver we sign that can get separation on any level of the field - that also is smart enough to understand a modern NFL offense - will do just fine with Brady throwing him the ball.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Well with Landrys past you can figure he would be out at least 8 games this season. Sounds Chung-esque. The guy is so muscle bound it stinks of PED's. I would go for Lloyd if he wont break the bank.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Lloyd was my top choice, so this would be ideal. Immediate fit and if they keep Ochocinco, maybe those two can do some damage next year on the flanks with playaction involved.

I wonder if they let Branch walk?  Branch still looks pretty good and its hard to replace the chemistry he and Brady have.

If they keep Branch, Ochocinco and sign Lloyd, you have to figure they won't go high in the draft for WR.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots, Brandon Lloyd close to agreement : The only thing I can say to that is McDaniels recommended Maroney...just because a coach wants/recommends a guy doesn't mean that it's the right thing to do. McDaniels was fired for a reason in Denver. Llyod at least has some NFL production recently and it appears to be because of the way McDaniels uses him, so maybe this will work out just fine. On the other hand he is a known head case that has been described as bipolar by players around the league. Personally I think any receiver we sign that can get separation on any level of the field - that also is smart enough to understand a modern NFL offense - will do just fine with Brady throwing him the ball.   
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

There are lots of receivers who get separation but if they are not in the spot Brady expects them to be in then it's not going to work. We've seen this over and over. This is why the receivers that they currently have work out so well and the others are no longer on the Patriots. It sounds like Llyod gets it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]Well with Landrys past you can figure he would be out at least 8 games this season. Sounds Chung-esque. The guy is so muscle bound it stinks of PED's. I would go for Lloyd if he wont break the bank.
    Posted by Philskiw1[/QUOTE]

I agree, but if you add what Chung normally gives us (4 decent games, followed by a month stretch with injuries leading to missed games) then you basically have a guy that maybe can fill in there. I think if you can add the two of these guys together - you might have one very good player. I'm reaching here...I just want the safety spot fixed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

One thing to comment on here... Lloyd is a crazy person but with rarely any exception all star WR's are.  So if you want that level of tallent you have to expect it.

Ok two things... I hope they do sign Lloyd and Landry and keep BJGE. iF ALL THAT HAPPENS i WILL BE HAPPY Damn caps lock!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

In response to "Re: Patriots, Brandon Lloyd close to agreement": [QUOTE]One thing to comment on here... Lloyd is a crazy person but with rarely any exception all star WR's are.  So if you want that level of tallent you have to expect it. Ok two things... I hope they do sign Lloyd and Landry and keep BJGE. iF ALL THAT HAPPENS i WILL BE HAPPY Damn caps lock! Posted by DaBlade[/QUOTE] Speaking of BJGE, here is a link: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/17/green-ellis-hopes-deal-with-pats-gets-done/

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

I say he behaves.

My reasoning is, if he signs here it will be on NE's terms, not his.  So, that tells me he knows his days of lobbying for balls are over. We'll see. I say it's worth the risk.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

[QUOTE]Love it, everyone getting happy with Wideouts. You can change the rules, change the Offenses all you want, Hurry up, 2 TE's, Spread them all over the field. But, Football 101 Defense Wins Championships. It will always be this! Always! Pats have to focus on Defense this Off-Season. Won a SB, with a 7th rounder out of Notre Dame, and a 2nd rounder out of Louisiville. The more we sign Big names Wideouts, the more we lose focus on Defense. BB has to take the chance on Landry.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

There's no doubt that having a solid defense is key to winning it all but if you look at the history of the NFL you'll see that the majority of teams that have won the Super Bowl are the teams that are balanced in all 3 phases of the game, offense, defense, and special teams. Especially those teams that were dynasties.

Having Lloyd would give defenses something new to worry about. But even within the offense it needs to be balanced. To me getting a strong running game and having a split between the amount of runs and passing is more important for the offense.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Patriots, Brandon Lloyd close to agreement": Speaking of BJGE, here is a link: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/17/green-ellis-hopes-deal-with-pats-gets-done/
    Posted by bgomez[/QUOTE]

I hope so, too. As mentioned yesterday, it could be a "go test the market, Benny" and then we'll talk" type move by BB. I hope they keep him because he's the best on the market and he's going to be cheap even with a raise he deserves!

On his side, if the money's close, why leave now?

I think it's way too much of a risk to let a known walk like this. He's also the kind of guy who isn't going to act up as the second option in a gameplan either.  He and Ridley would be ideal lead backs in this offense.