Patriots claim defensive tackle Chris Jones, waive Josh Kline

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: Patriots claim defensive tackle Chris Jones, waive Josh Kline

In response to TripleOG's comment:

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to rkarp's comment:

I posted on the roster on cut down day, and got lambasted by many here. Some even had the audacity to think it a feather in BB's cap that 8 UDFA made this roster. The team is littered with 1st and 2nd year players that do not yet have the confidence of the coaching staff nor TB. Injuries have put the teams back against the wall with playing guys not ready...

I will feel better with this game behind the team, and 12 days to regroup....

But I do not like the roster as it stands now...

I'm with you rkarp. I've been getting lambasted since the first FA period when I wasn't happen with the retreads they were bringing in verses getting solid talent in a buyer friendly market. Any time you have that many UDFAs on the team it shows that you haven't been drafting or picking up FAs all that well. There is no need for that many UDFAs if you had better drafts and FA classes. Considering how many picks they've had the last 4-5 years it's scary that any UDFAs have made the team over actual draft picks

BB doesn't make a big splash in free agency anymore. He signs a few cheap guys and then when they do nothing he takes no heat for it and if the do something everybody goes, wow what a genius. He does the same kind of thing often in the draft.

It's gotten old. Very old. If anybody has Kraft duped, it's BB the GM.

I think this latest WR gaffe and the D line thing is troublesome. I have tried to be very patient in understanding the idealogy. I even told others to be patient last week but Im starting to really think its just like I was told way back. In baseball , owners arent always looking to go all in and win it all. They only need to a win a title every now and then to keep the fans around. You win a title, u can go another 10-15 years before winning it again as long as you stay in the hunt, the Fans will stay interested.

Make a few signings that show you care, but never really go all in, rather keep pocketing money every year and hope your unprepared team can get by. In our case its even worse cuz we have a QB who can mask alot and win a lot of reg. season games. SOo, I think they are just doing enough to keep us around. Kraft probably takes care of Brady under the table to keep him happy and everyone else is expendable. I see no other explanation.

The question is WHEN will they pay again and go all in?? IN Bradys last year?? Like a going away gift,...

No real need to pay; if you draft well.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

What a joke. 

Wasn't someone singing praise for Kline throughout the summer, saying he looked good etc.

A lot of our peeps here sing the praises of every scrub who crawls through the door.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

What a joke. 

Wasn't someone singing praise for Kline throughout the summer, saying he looked good etc.

A lot of our peeps here sing the praises of every scrub who crawls through the door.

People think every player is going to be a diamond in the rough discovery that is the difference maker. The truth is that most of these 53rd players on the roster will hang around for a couple of weeks and then get replaced as different positions need depth throughout the season, but that is boring to talk about...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Can we fit him under the cap? I hear there is a severe case of salary cap hell going around.

Truthfully this guy is probably better than most of the defensive tackles we had at camp this year...probably better than Vellano, although that's not saying much. There's always hope that the next defensive tackle we sign next week that was cut will be an upgrade...maybe by December we can get our hands on Suh.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

What a joke. 

Yeah wasn't wooz calling Francis the best 34 end available in the draft this year? That guy lasted ten minutes, but then again you can't expect pro bowlers at every position!! Or so I'm told.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I asked about positives.  Rusty said this:

"Tommy Kelly. Amendola outstanding since he's been here. Dobson and Boyce coming along. Josh Kline looking great in his preseason. Blount impressing.  Svitek showing up in more than one O Line spot.

That's for REAL fans, NAS. You're not one of them and know little about football. You read a couple articles and think you know.

Sudfeld emerging as a Hernandez replacement."

Couple of real gems there.  Clearly made by someone who knows a lot about football.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

"Tommy Kelly. Amendola outstanding since he's been here. Dobson and Boyce coming along. Josh Kline looking great in his preseason. Blount impressing.  Svitek showing up in more than one O Line spot.

That's for REAL fans, NAS. You're not one of them and know little about football. You read a couple articles and think you know.

Couple of real gems there.  Clearly made by someone who knows a lot about football.

Truthfully his all time great post was when he said Curtis Martin couldn't catch...NEVER was used as a pass catching option. Curtis is 13th all time in receptions for a running back, not bad for a guy that can't catch. How many guys have played running back in the NFL?? 10,000 thousand? More? Curtis is 13th among them all.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

You know who can catch?  Sudfeld apparently.  He's emerging as a Hernandez replacement you know.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Truthfully his all time great post was when he said Curtis Martin couldn't catch...NEVER was used as a pass catching option. Curtis is 13th all time in receptions for a running back, not bad for a guy that can't catch. How many guys have played running back in the NFL?? 10,000 thousand? More? Curtis is 13th among them all.

this should tell you he is not a Pats fan. Maybe a BB fan, but not  Pats fan. Then he goes and sais sh*t about being at the old stadium?! Like what? I honestly dont believe Rusty is a pats fan. He Bashes Brady, BB and every past great player and only loves the D most likely cuz BB picks them. All the stuff he talks about in the past can easily be googled and we already know he steals material from the sports radio guys and thats why he always tells US not to listen so we wont catch him stealing. He is the worst troll in here and Id bet half the posters have him on ignore. 3 years ago I was calling him out as a fraud and his followers had his back, now the jig is up and everyone can see what ive been saying all along. My first encounter with him, he hit me with "irrationale and insecure" I knew right away he was a looney and the reason he chose those words were because his therapist always uses them to describe his behavior. Everything he dishes out comes from His Life. Youve been hip for a while but I cant understand how this guy had a zombie following on this board for like 3 years...  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

What a joke. 

Yeah wasn't wooz calling Francis the best 34 end available in the draft this year? That guy lasted ten minutes, but then again you can't expect pro bowlers at every position!! Or so I'm told.

Im trying to find where he said Sudfeld had the best hands on the team. He denied it, but I know he said it. Just cant find it. Said J.Collins is our best tackler, right now. Guy didnt even play. What a way to use your best tackler. I mean how can we annoint these guys ANYTHING before playing an NFL game?  Crazy! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

this should tell you he is not a Pats fan. Maybe a BB fan, but not  Pats fan. Then he goes and sais sh*t about being at the old stadium?! Like what? I honestly dont believe Rusty is a pats fan. He Bashes Brady, BB and every past great player and only loves the D most likely cuz BB picks them. All the stuff he talks about in the past can easily be googled and we already know he steals material from the sports radio guys and thats why he always tells US not to listen so we wont catch him stealing. He is the worst troll in here and Id bet half the posters have him on ignore. 3 years ago I was calling him out as a fraud and his followers had his back, now the jig is up and everyone can see what ive been saying all along. My first encounter with him, he hit me with "irrationale and insecure" I knew right away he was a looney and the reason he chose those words were because his therapist always uses them to describe his behavior. Everything he dishes out comes from His Life. Youve been hip for a while but I cant understand how this guy had a zombie following on this board for like 3 years...  

I think what you describe is pretty accurate...I've thought many of those things myself.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

They signed a young, sought after DT and he came down with MRSA.

At the time of the draft, they still had Hernandez, they weren't drafting to replace him. I can only imagine that there would have been unanimous approval on this board if they used a high pick on a TE...not so much.

It's certainly your prerogative to write off Sudfeld and while you're at it, Boyce and Thompkins after one game. Nobody will remember that you did when they become reliable receivers...well, except for a few of us.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Jones is in for a two week visit . . . after they pick his brains for info on the Bucs defense he will then be let go . . . maybe Kline will be back or Winn with Vereen out for 8 weeks or a practice squad QB.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

The unherald pick of Chris Jones... let's see if this was a good signing afterall.  Bump.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Only lambasted by the rusty one. Others only come on to support everything bb does and call people who complain whiners. Then there are those like myself that agree with nearly everything you and a select few with the stones to talk about reality have to say. 

We can discuss draft stuff all day, but the roster speaks for itself.  I believe this team has enough talent to win it, devoid in a few areas, but generally there. The problem is we have invested so much, tied our wagon completely to players with significant injury histories. Not good.

around draft time, I was advocating on MBs thread about grabbing Fleener or Ertz. Now I wished we had. That's another story....we need to get healthy and stay that way if we have any chance. We don't have the luxury of missing a few key players. Lets just win this jets game and heal up, reevaluate things. With 12 days between games, bb no doubt will be making more roster moves.

I generally agree with that statement but like to add we've invested in low cost vet options to much too. If everyone is healthy the talent is there but any GM worth his salt has to recognize certain things going into the season from the FA period that I don't think BB recognized:

1) Edelman and Amendola's health problems - There was an easy solution to this and BB wanted it in Sanders. A durable productive #2/3 WR pick up. BB wanted him but like Goldson 2 years previous only at his price. An extra mil and Amendola groin issue wouldn't be a problem tonight

2) Depth at DT - It's clear now Deadrick was on his last rope and there is no way the doctors couldn't have foreseen Love's condition (it's not exactly a thing that pops out of no where suddenly). The DL was already thin even if Armstead was healthy and even after picking up Kelly. Adding one solid vet (like a G. Warren type) would have gone a long way right now. Heck, this was one of the deepest drafts in years for DT's why not grab one of them? If they got Sanders then they they could have taken a DT in the 1st, still got Collins with their 2nd, and then made a choice between either Dobson or Boyce in the 3rd. Funny how that $1mil more could have effected so much. The worst part is I've wanted them to pick a DT for years now. The Ras pick the DT I really wanted (Wilkerson) went 2 picks higher to the Jets of all teams. How good would Wilkerson have looked on this team.

3) CB - Ras getting hurt didn't shock anyone. Cole is a ST and was extremely hit or miss as a CB. Talib and Dennard have had nagging injury type of stuff over their careers. A wise move would be to add another CB when the market prices were dirt cheap. Thankfully this hasn't hurt them yet but I can see it coming unless Ryan blossoms early

4) S - This one kills me. 2 years ago they could have had Goldson and cheaped out (like Sanders). They had a second chance at him this season (though the price was high even for my tastes). The way the SS's look right now and some of the available SS's available this year they went with a SS that even my eye could see he had slowed down to the point where he wasn't going to be an effective starter and role player at best. Just cheap at a position that has haunted the team for years

5) RB - Vereen is another injury prone player which they should have had a proper backup in place. Resigning Woodhead seemed like a logical choice but tbh I don't know if he wanted to be #3 on the roster. If he would have accepted that role it seems like an easy move to make

Now all of these aren't second guesses as I've been saying this since the beginning of the FA period. One spot that looks very weak right now is TE but I won't get on them for that because in all honesty they couldn't foresee the Hernandez incident. You add Hernandez and the TE core looks alright enough to last until Gronk gets back. Additionally Ballard was a gamble but given the players they had he was a good gamble to move into camp with. If his knee was 100% he'd be a solid #2/3 TE that can be a starter. However, it didn't happen that way and the position fell apart. I don't think any GM could have foreseen what happen as happening.

Very well written however one would think if they just woke up from a decade long coma that the Patriots were a team in dispair...when in fact they're 4 & 0 and continue to be among the best in the game. I don't dispute they have issues and depth might well become a greater problem if we lose another DT or one of our top corners goes down. But isn't that true of every NFL team. 

1) Edelman's been on the field and very productive...Ameadola not so much...end of the day Hernandez's indictment and the timing of his arrst was well after most of the top FA were signed. I'm pretty certain that had Belicheck known prior to, he too would have up the anti trying to sign another tightend or a big reciever. 

2) Wilfork going down is not something a team can plan for...it's also the first time in his entire football career that he's needed surgery going all the way back to HS. 

3) did they not draft a CB?  

4) I tend to agree that they went lite at SS... overall our secondary has been very good. 

5) Bolden is the back they envision taking over Vareens role...RB is the least of our concerns with Ridley and Blount shouldering the load and Bolden the change of pace back. I too was a fan of Woodhead's with Vereen the better more explosive player he became expendable And a luxury we couldn't afford given the available cap space for the position...

I myself have no issue with critical analysis of the patriots under Belichecks leadership regarding how well they manage the cap and personell. It's also hard for me to be overly critical of Belicheck given the success he's had for more than a decade managing in the salary cap era...I could be mistaken but since he took over the team they've drafted in the top 10 twice? in the last few years he's done a very good job rebuilding our defense to the point where it's no longer a liabiltiy upgraded the run game and once Gronk returns Brady will have his binky back and this team should win the division again and make the playoffs once more...while they may not be prohibitive favorites in the AFC they can make some noise this week by beating the Bengals...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

They signed a young, sought after DT and he came down with MRSA.

At the time of the draft, they still had Hernandez, they weren't drafting to replace him. I can only imagine that there would have been unanimous approval on this board if they used a high pick on a TE...not so much.

It's certainly your prerogative to write off Sudfeld and while you're at it, Boyce and Thompkins after one game. Nobody will remember that you did when they become reliable receivers...well, except for a few of us.

Who are you referring to?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

With all these bad moves, it's no wonder the Patriots are 0-4 and getting worse every week. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

He is getting a pass for those 3 superbowls he won 10 years ago. The 1 thing is though they keep remaining up there as a force. I wonder how much of a force they would be if Kraft actually opened the purse strings and brought in a stud dlineman or lb or w/r. 

I posted on the roster on cut down day, and got lambasted by many here. Some even had the audacity to think it a feather in BB's cap that 8 UDFA made this roster. The team is littered with 1st and 2nd year players that do not yet have the confidence of the coaching staff nor TB. Injuries have put the teams back against the wall with playing guys not ready...

I will feel better with this game behind the team, and 12 days to regroup....

But I do not like the roster as it stands now...

I'm with you rkarp. I've been getting lambasted since the first FA period when I wasn't happen with the retreads they were bringing in verses getting solid talent in a buyer friendly market. Any time you have that many UDFAs on the team it shows that you haven't been drafting or picking up FAs all that well. There is no need for that many UDFAs if you had better drafts and FA classes. Considering how many picks they've had the last 4-5 years it's scary that any UDFAs have made the team over actual draft picks

BB doesn't make a big splash in free agency anymore. He signs a few cheap guys and then when they do nothing he takes no heat for it and if the do something everybody goes, wow what a genius. He does the same kind of thing often in the draft.

It's gotten old. Very old. If anybody has Kraft duped, it's BB the GM.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Only lambasted by the rusty one. Others only come on to support everything bb does and call people who complain whiners. Then there are those like myself that agree with nearly everything you and a select few with the stones to talk about reality have to say.  

We can discuss draft stuff all day, but the roster speaks for itself.  I believe this team has enough talent to win it, devoid in a few areas, but generally there. The problem is we have invested so much, tied our wagon completely to players with significant injury histories. Not good.

around draft time, I was advocating on MBs thread about grabbing Fleener or Ertz. Now I wished we had. That's another story....we need to get healthy and stay that way if we have any chance. We don't have the luxury of missing a few key players. Lets just win this jets game and heal up, reevaluate things. With 12 days between games, bb no doubt will be making more roster moves.

I generally agree with that statement but like to add we've invested in low cost vet options to much too. If everyone is healthy the talent is there but any GM worth his salt has to recognize certain things going into the season from the FA period that I don't think BB recognized: 

1) Edelman and Amendola's health problems - There was an easy solution to this and BB wanted it in Sanders. A durable productive #2/3 WR pick up. BB wanted him but like Goldson 2 years previous only at his price. An extra mil and Amendola groin issue wouldn't be a problem tonight

2) Depth at DT - It's clear now Deadrick was on his last rope and there is no way the doctors couldn't have foreseen Love's condition (it's not exactly a thing that pops out of no where suddenly). The DL was already thin even if Armstead was healthy and even after picking up Kelly. Adding one solid vet (like a G. Warren type) would have gone a long way right now. Heck, this was one of the deepest drafts in years for DT's why not grab one of them? If they got Sanders then they they could have taken a DT in the 1st, still got Collins with their 2nd, and then made a choice between either Dobson or Boyce in the 3rd. Funny how that $1mil more could have effected so much. The worst part is I've wanted them to pick a DT for years now. The Ras pick the DT I really wanted (Wilkerson) went 2 picks higher to the Jets of all teams. How good would Wilkerson have looked on this team.

3) CB - Ras getting hurt didn't shock anyone. Cole is a ST and was extremely hit or miss as a CB. Talib and Dennard have had nagging injury type of stuff over their careers. A wise move would be to add another CB when the market prices were dirt cheap. Thankfully this hasn't hurt them yet but I can see it coming unless Ryan blossoms early

4) S - This one kills me. 2 years ago they could have had Goldson and cheaped out (like Sanders). They had a second chance at him this season (though the price was high even for my tastes). The way the SS's look right now and some of the available SS's available this year they went with a SS that even my eye could see he had slowed down to the point where he wasn't going to be an effective starter and role player at best. Just cheap at a position that has haunted the team for years

5) RB - Vereen is another injury prone player which they should have had a proper backup in place. Resigning Woodhead seemed like a logical choice but tbh I don't know if he wanted to be #3 on the roster. If he would have accepted that role it seems like an easy move to make

Now all of these aren't second guesses as I've been saying this since the beginning of the FA period. One spot that looks very weak right now is TE but I won't get on them for that because in all honesty they couldn't foresee the Hernandez incident. You add Hernandez and the TE core looks alright enough to last until Gronk gets back. Additionally Ballard was a gamble but given the players they had he was a good gamble to move into camp with. If his knee was 100% he'd be a solid #2/3 TE that can be a starter. However, it didn't happen that way and the position fell apart. I don't think any GM could have foreseen what happen as happening.

Very well written however one would think if they just woke up from a decade long coma that the Patriots were a team in dispair...when in fact they're 4 & 0 and continue to be among the best in the game. I don't dispute they have issues and depth might well become a greater problem if we lose another DT or one of our top corners goes down. But isn't that true of every NFL team. 

1) Edelman's been on the field and very productive...Ameadola not so much...end of the day Hernandez's indictment and the timing of his arrst was well after most of the top FA were signed. I'm pretty certain that had Belicheck known prior to, he too would have up the anti trying to sign another tightend or a big reciever. 

2) Wilfork going down is not something a team can plan for...it's also the first time in his entire football career that he's needed surgery going all the way back to HS. 

4) I tend to agree that they went lite at SS... overall our secondary has been very good. 

5) Bolden is the back they envision taking over Vareens role...RB is the least of our concerns with Ridley and Blount shouldering the load and Bolden the change of pace back. I too was a fan of Woodhead's with Vereen the better more explosive player he became expendable And a luxury we couldn't afford given the available cap space for the position...

I myself have no issue with critical analysis of the patriots under Belichecks leadership regarding how well they manage the cap and personell. It's also hard for me to be overly critical of Belicheck given the success he's had for more than a decade managing in the salary cap era...I could be mistaken but since he took over the team they've drafted in the top 10 twice? in the last few years he's done a very good job rebuilding our defense to the point where it's no longer a liabiltiy upgraded the run game and once Gronk returns Brady will have his binky back and this team should win the division again and make the playoffs once more...while they may not be prohibitive favorites in the AFC they can make some noise this week by beating the Bengals... 

Why would you want to inject rational thought and analysis into this bash-fest? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

You know what's funny, I wrote this on Sept 12 and you are commenting on the Oct 3rd. So, my comments were pre Wilfork injury, pre Vereen injury, pre Dennard injury, pre extent Amendola injury.

With exception of SS (I actually like how Gregory has played so far) I've been dead on on all my comments above. But to your comments:

1) A TE should not effect what you do at WR and it appears it didn't as they added a lot of WRs in camp and tried to get Sanders. The problem is they went low cost option on WR and tried to get the deal not the player in Sanders.

2) You can plan for it, it's called depth. At a position that has historically been critical for the team in which they always have carried 5-6 players who can play the position and at least 1 big guy that could replace Wilfork they went with two aging vets and a 6th rounder another team didn't want and a UDFA. THat's not really depth. Adding one more decent vet or picking up an earlier round DT who could step in quick would have been adding depth.

3) They did but rook CBs tend to have issues their first year. I even wanted them to draft a CB this year too, but I also thought they should have added another vet as I felt a rook wouldn't be able to step in right away and I didn't want to see Arrington outside. 

4) Agree

5) Bolden and Vereen are 2 completely different types of backs and skill sets. Washington is closer to Vereen than Bolden is. Actually I'd put Bolden closer to a Blount type of runner, a one move north south runner which is why I thought they'd go with one of the other out of camp. Vereen is more like a Faulk or Woodhead type of back, more of a pass catching back that relies on cuts and quick bursts

I like the D at this point but he's been rebuilding it beginning since 08'. I hope after 5 years he can rebuild it considering that's where his expertise is. What I'm critical of is that he seems to abandon certain areas until they are critical must rebuilds, his FA moves I feel are questionable, and I don't like how he goes for the deal instead of giving a bit extra for the player (Goldson, Sanders, Welker). Has he been successful, of course, but I think he could have been more successful if not for a couple things that I think hurts him. He believes you can get the same player for a lower pick or less money and won't go that little bit extra to get the higher priced talent. Though generally this philosophy does keep new people in the system it also tends to give you the Haynesworth's, Ocho's, Fenana's, Lloyd's which hurt the team as much as missing on a slightly higher priced player. Just because they win doesn't mean they couldn't have done better. For some reason I'm sure BB doesn't go home after the season and say we made the playoffs what a great year. IMO he goes home and says, damn we didn't win the SB because of x, y, and z I have to find a way to fix it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I often feel the same way Eng does that the Pats sometimes seem penny wise and pound foolish.  At the same time, I've seen a lot of other teams spend a bit more to get the guys they want and still have their moves backfire when players either don't perform to expectations or get hurt. Even if the extra amounts you're spending are relatively small, they add up and can leave you with fewer options if things go wrong.  I think that's the thing with BB. He likes to preserve his flexibility to make adjustments.  Spend a bit more on several players and suddenly more money is tied up and some of your flexibility to make further adjustments is gone.  

The other thing we don't know about as fans is BB's view of a guy's fit both in the current year and down the road.  Was Goldson really a good fit for the team? He reminds me just a bit of Merriweather with all the questionable hits.  Is that what we really need?  Or is BB trying to build a more disciplinrd, smarter secondary?  I think the latter and so maybe Goldsen isn't as good a fit.  That may frustrate fans who want more intimidating players, but that's not BB's style. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

I often feel the same way Eng does that the Pats sometimes seem penny wise and pound foolish.  At the same time, I've seen a lot of other teams spend a bit more to get the guys they want and still have their moves backfire when players either don't perform to expectations or get hurt. Even if the extra amounts you're spending are relatively small, they add up and can leave you with fewer options if things go wrong.  I think that's the thing with BB. He likes to preserve his flexibility to make adjustments.  Spend a bit more on several players and suddenly more money is tied up and some of your flexibility to make further adjustments is gone.  

The other thing we don't know about as fans is BB's view of a guy's fit both in the current year and down the road.  Was Goldson really a good fit for the team? He reminds me just a bit of Merriweather with all the questionable hits.  Is that what we really need?  Or is BB trying to build a more disciplinrd, smarter secondary?  I think the latter and so maybe Goldsen isn't as good a fit.  That may frustrate fans who want more intimidating players, but that's not BB's style. 

Though I agree to a point Pro, when you look at camp cuts brought in as dead money for the positions in which they are penny wise dollar foolish that little extra amount they could have spent is actually spent on dead money for 2-3 players they brought in and ended up cutting in the end. A mil shouldn't be enough to limit flexibility, $2+mil though might be in which I would agree with your statement it might not be worth the extra funds but an extra mil here or there over bringing in Chad Johnsons, Hawkins, A. Wilsons seems like a much wiser investment.

As for Goldson, they made him an offer so they must have felt he was a fit for the team otherwise why make him an offer? Yes he reminded me of Meriweather with the exception I thought Goldson took better angles to balls and is slightly better in coverage without all the mental mistakes but game play style I would say they are fairly close. Whether that's right for the team or not I'm not quite sure but the team wanted him so they must have felt he was.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

You know what's funny, I wrote this on Sept 12 and you are commenting on the Oct 3rd. So, my comments were pre Wilfork injury, pre Vereen injury, pre Dennard injury, pre extent Amendola injury.

With exception of SS (I actually like how Gregory has played so far) I've been dead on on all my comments above. But to your comments:

1) A TE should not effect what you do at WR and it appears it didn't as they added a lot of WRs in camp and tried to get Sanders. The problem is they went low cost option on WR and tried to get the deal not the player in Sanders.

2) You can plan for it, it's called depth. At a position that has historically been critical for the team in which they always have carried 5-6 players who can play the position and at least 1 big guy that could replace Wilfork they went with two aging vets and a 6th rounder another team didn't want and a UDFA. THat's not really depth. Adding one more decent vet or picking up an earlier round DT who could step in quick would have been adding depth.

3) They did but rook CBs tend to have issues their first year. I even wanted them to draft a CB this year too, but I also thought they should have added another vet as I felt a rook wouldn't be able to step in right away and I didn't want to see Arrington outside. 

4) Agree

5) Bolden and Vereen are 2 completely different types of backs and skill sets. Washington is closer to Vereen than Bolden is. Actually I'd put Bolden closer to a Blount type of runner, a one move north south runner which is why I thought they'd go with one of the other out of camp. Vereen is more like a Faulk or Woodhead type of back, more of a pass catching back that relies on cuts and quick bursts

I like the D at this point but he's been rebuilding it beginning since 08'. I hope after 5 years he can rebuild it considering that's where his expertise is. What I'm critical of is that he seems to abandon certain areas until they are critical must rebuilds, his FA moves I feel are questionable, and I don't like how he goes for the deal instead of giving a bit extra for the player (Goldson, Sanders, Welker). Has he been successful, of course, but I think he could have been more successful if not for a couple things that I think hurts him. He believes you can get the same player for a lower pick or less money and won't go that little bit extra to get the higher priced talent. Though generally this philosophy does keep new people in the system it also tends to give you the Haynesworth's, Ocho's, Fenana's, Lloyd's which hurt the team as much as missing on a slightly higher priced player. Just because they win doesn't mean they couldn't have done better. For some reason I'm sure BB doesn't go home after the season and say we made the playoffs what a great year. IMO he goes home and says, damn we didn't win the SB because of x, y, and z I have to find a way to fix it.

That you posted your opin in early september doesn't in my mind change the perception that the patriots are a team in despair. I also don't dispute the validity of your critique of the roster. I get that the goal is to win championships. Without turning this in a protracted debate. I'll respond to you last replay and we can then agree to disagree on some points and many of your opins I do agre with...

1) I would agree that a tightend shouldn't impact decisions made at the WR position...Hernandez was not your typical tightend. Given our teams heavy dependence on the two tightend offense and how they deployed Hernandez with a healthy Gronk and Hernandez along with Amedola & Edelman already on the roster to play the slot. The need was for an X reciever who could stretch the field which is why they drafted Dobson to replace Llyod and luckily they appear to have hit the jackpot with Thompkins. My understanding is that the offer the pats made for Sanders was such the Steelers came very close to not matching it. water under the bridge...

2) Given our teams change from a base 3-4 to the 4-3 as our primary defensive scheme it changes the numbers and the profiles of the players you carry. In a base 3-4 the nose and the ends are all bigs and the pats typically carried 6 however in a base 4-3 you now have to man the middle and the ends with players that fit the profile. The Pats current depth chart on the D-Line has 7 players 4 ends and 3 DT If you add another big then you have to cut an end or a linebacker to make room on the roster. Also if you factor in the number of snaps the bigs are on the field given the pass happy NFL basically they're two down players...I do agree that the interior DL looks thin but it's a function of the scheme and to a degree Belichecks desire to be able to line up in the 3-4 too...

3) I like what I've seen from Ryan...again it's a numbers game there's only so many spots...Arrington plays well in the slot, not so much out on the edge, if his hamstring proves to be a lingering issue. Winfield is stil on the market and would be a good fit as the nickel back. The key is keeping Talib and Denard on the field...they can always move McCourty to CB in a pinch. another thing often overlooked is that veterans free agents tend not to want to play special teams and given the 53 man rosters..the backup DB have to play on the kicking teams. 

4) I agree that Jefferey's has played as well as expected. Let's just say that since Harrison retired this position has been a revolving door and we've never truly replaced him. 

5) I could have been clearer in my opin..I agree that Bolden as a runner is more in the mold of Blount, but he has good hands, runs good routes out of the backfield and is also a very good pass blocker. So until Vareen returns my guess is we'll see Bolden on the field on 3rd downs. overall I think the backfield depth is more than adequate. Woodhead was a luxury we couldn't afford given the addition of Blount and Develin. 

In closing the Patriots under Belicheck have been among the best teams in the game and like all dynastic teams. They've been searching for the right mix and twice came within a couple of possesions from winning two more rings. I will say that my general feeling is that we morphed into a finesse team on both sides of the ball and what I am encouraged by is it appears that we're reopening the power game book. Time will tell the this squad will come together and win big...what is certain is that Father Time is running out on Brady. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I'm sure he's going to account for a huge chunk of that $10 million, operating cost, money.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Sections
Shortcuts