Patriots claim Steve Maneri

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Patriots claim Steve Maneri

By Mike Reiss
    The Patriots have claimed offensive tackle Steve Maneri off waivers from the Houston Texans, agent Ed Wasielewski said on Twitter.

Maneri (6-7, 290) is a rookie out of Temple who played tight end in college. NFL teams had been interested in him as a tight end and tackle in the pre-draft process.

After going undrafted, Maneri elected to sign with the Texans because he wanted to play tackle. He lined up primarily at left tackle in the preseason.

This marks the second straight year that the Patriots have gone the waiver route to claim a tackle, as Mark LeVoir was claimed from the Rams in 2009.

The Patriots have Matt Light (left) and Sebastian Vollmer (right) as their starting tackles, with LeVoir and Quinn Ojinnaka the top reserves. In claiming Maneri, the Patriots will have to make a corresponding roster move to stay within the NFL's 53-man roster limits.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Re: Patriots claim Steve Maneri

He could also play Full Back.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Kind of light for tackle isn't he? needs to put on about 20 more pounds to catch up to Vollmer.

yeah i like the fact he can double as fullback, after that 4th and goal debacle against the Giants we need a big lead blocker in the backfield sometimes.

maybe they'll finally dump Ellis-Green

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots claim Steve Maneri:
    [QUOTE]Kind of light for tackle isn't he? needs to put on about 20 more pounds to catch up to Vollmer. yeah i like the fact he can double as fullback, after that 4th and goal debacle against the Giants we need a big lead blocker in the backfield sometimes. maybe they'll finally dump Ellis-Green
    Posted by kansaspatriot[/QUOTE]

That really sucked kp.  Imagine a goal line 3 TE set with Crumpler, Gonk and this kid.  That's some serious beef.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Pats need a tackle and tackles are hard to find.  I think they'd rather pick up a guy like this who's still learning the position and therefore has some upside potential than a guy who's played the position and already proved he's not good enough to make a roster. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from HRK103. Show HRK103's posts

I missed the game what happened with 4th and goal?...I'm guessing we got stuffed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Yes we got stuffed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from HRK103. Show HRK103's posts

[QUOTE]Yes we got stuffed.
    Posted by Tcal2[/QUOTE]

UGG!

*maybe Klecko as a fullback/specialteamer/guard/center/rb/te/emergency qb/offensive coordinator/beer vendor

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Yeah, he was on a number of people's boards as a late possibility. I think it is intriguing as a move. Although, his size/athleticism makes me think guard instead of tackle. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Similar size and experience (converted TE) as Welch.  Guess they drafted the wrong one.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I guess the front office liked what they saw on preseason film.  Maneri was supposed to drop through the cracks to the Houston practice squad where he'd develop. 

The Patriots constantly churn their roster.  They throw people off of the practice squad every two weeks, looking for a gem like Gaffney who was just sitting at home waiting for a phone call.  I have no idea whether Maneri will stick but he might.  He's plenty tall enough and pretty tough but maybe he needs a year in the weight room to get good.  As always, we'll see.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots claim Steve Maneri : That really sucked kp.  Imagine a goal line 3 TE set with Crumpler, Gonk and this kid.  That's some serious beef.
    Posted by Tcal2[/QUOTE]

they don't need to go three te. they have enough pass catchers to go with this guy as the second te, mainly to block. but also because he is reported to have payed a lot of the in college (welch was converted to ol early in his college career), he is a better receiver. tb could actually throw to him (vrabel?)

i actualy like your fullback idea better. i believe that is how bb thinks of using him. bb chose this guy over welch i believe because this guy is quicker. question is whether we have someone quick enough to take advantage of those blocks behind him. i am guessing this would be morris or faulk.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from haldager. Show haldager's posts

Jets get Revis...we get Maneri...wauw....its impressing how many crap players the Pats continue to find throughout the league.