Patriots Currently The Best In The AFC?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: Patriots Currently The Best In The AFC?

In response to DeadAhead's comment:

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

In response to MeadowlandMike's comment:

This just in... a team that can't stop the run cannot be the best team in a conference.

Perhaps. But more important than stopping the run is actually scoring more points than your opponents. 5-6 proves that. 

We stopped the run vs Pitt and Carolina.  Sopoaga has helped at the trade deadline. He is swallowing up blockers and taking up space down the middle.

Besides the RBs we might face in the postseason aren't even good. Trent Richardson sucks and is a bust. Denver can't run very well, Baltimore has a struggling run game, etc.

KC has the best run game with Charles.

Seattle worries me most, balanced team, good QB who can move, good strong runner & a top defense... and a steady drug supply apparently.  

Seattle on the road in a blizzard in NJ does not worry me much. I respect all opponents, but Pete Carroll/Wilson vs BB/Brady in a blizzard? I like our odds.

Farmer's Almanac projects a snowstorm that weekend. Just saying.

Plus, Seattle is an NFC team. Let's get there first.

NOs and Seattle or weak road teams, which I think might be an issue for them in the playoffs, more notably NOs if they have to go to Seattle for the title game.

Agree. I would take the pats in a blizzard over any team right now. Lets get there first. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

This just in... a team that can't stop the run cannot be the best team in a conference.

Perhaps. But more important than stopping the run is actually scoring more points than your opponents. 5-6 proves that. 

We stopped the run vs Pitt and Carolina.  Sopoaga has helped at the trade deadline. He is swallowing up blockers and taking up space down the middle.

Besides the RBs we might face in the postseason aren't even good. Trent Richardson sucks and is a bust. Denver can't run very well, Baltimore has a struggling run game, etc.

Seattle worries me most, balanced team, good QB who can move, good strong runner & a top defense... and a steady drug supply apparently.  

Seattle on the road in a blizzard in NJ does not worry me much. I respect all opponents, but Pete Carroll/Wilson vs BB/Brady in a blizzard? I like our odds.

Farmer's Almanac projects a snowstorm that weekend. Just saying.

Plus, Seattle is an NFC team. Let's get there first.

NOs and Seattle or weak road teams, which I think might be an issue for them in the playoffs, more notably NOs if they have to go to Seattle for the title game.

I'm just going with my eyes and logic.  If Carolina gave us match up  problems, then Seattle is a better version of them in most areas in the game.  They worry me the most besides Carolina since they implemented the blue print.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cloudyandrain. Show Cloudyandrain's posts

In the AFC, absolutely yes.

In the NFL, one of the best.  I can't comment on Settle. Pats beat the Saints and almost beat the Panthers.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

What is the OP talking about? It's the Jets!!!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

they said the same thing last year after the texans game but we found out the ravens were better. i think this years team is better though and can beat anyone. the team that actually worries me most is san fran. their defense gets after the qb and they are getting healthy. crabtree back this weekend

that said i like the patriots over anyone. cant believe this has gone on for thirteen years.. wow

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

mike i dont think they were trying to take the run away. they were more concerned with manning and did a great job slowing him down. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

best in the AFC, sure. NFL no.

1. Seahawks, defense even after losing Browner is still dirty and Lynch carries the O and Wilson makes plays when needed

2. Saints, that D has gotten even better since we played them and the offense is healthy and clicking. tough in the dome, interested to see how they play in weather though.

3. Patriots, yes.

4. Broncos, still very high powered

5. Panthers, showed they can still win let down games. they didnt show up but still got a W, great win for them

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

1. Seahawks, defense even after losing Browner is still dirty and Lynch carries the O and Wilson makes plays when needed

I think you are underestimating how good Russell Wilson has been since he came into the league.  A strong argument could be made that he is better than Luck, RG3, Cam Newton and all the rest of the guys getting headlines.  He to me is the Tom Brady of that class and is a top five in the league, especially if wins are all that matter in a Bill B. world. 

http://boston.com/community/forums/sports/patriots/on-the-front-burner/patriots-currently-the-best-in-the-afc/100/6910746?page=2

Look at those passer ratings, 100 his rookie year... 105.1 this year is amazing.  45 TD to 16 Int career so far... that will only improve and is already darn good.  He basically has 500 yards rushing so far this season... the dude is a legit threat. 

http://seattle.cbslocal.com/2013/11/25/seahawks-qb-russell-wilson-making-a-case-for-best-of-2012-draft-class/

"Of course, Bill Belichick once said, “Stats are for losers,” because the only stat that really matters is wins. If that’s the case, Wilson’s argument just got stronger. Currently at 10-1 this season, Wilson improved upon the already impressive 11-5 mark he set as a rookie."

Andrew Luck Stats

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/14874/andrew-luck

RGIII

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14875/robert-griffin-iii

Cam

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13994/cam-newton

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

And don't forget Ghost has been having perhaps his best year--and we all know when the weather is bad you better have a clutch kicker--right now i think they're pretty confident  with him in a tight spot

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

I think you are underestimating how good Russell Wilson has been since he came into the league.  A strong argument could be made that he is better than Luck, RG3, Cam Newton and all the rest of the guys getting headlines.  He to me is the Tom Brady of that class and is a top five in the league, especially if wins are all that matter in a Bill B. world. 

http://boston.com/community/forums/sports/patriots/on-the-front-burner/patriots-currently-the-best-in-the-afc/100/6910746?page=2

Look at those passer ratings, 100 his rookie year... 105.1 this year is amazing.  45 TD to 16 Int career so far... that will only improve and is already darn good.  He basically has 500 yards rushing so far this season... the dude is a legit threat. 

http://seattle.cbslocal.com/2013/11/25/seahawks-qb-russell-wilson-making-a-case-for-best-of-2012-draft-class/

"Of course, Bill Belichick once said, “Stats are for losers,” because the only stat that really matters is wins. If that’s the case, Wilson’s argument just got stronger. Currently at 10-1 this season, Wilson improved upon the already impressive 11-5 mark he set as a rookie."

Andrew Luck Stats

RGIII

Cam

I totally agree and already thought he was better than luck, rg3 and cam. but he also has the best players around him. being able to give the ball to lynch 25 times a game and having a top 3 defense really makes it easy on you. but no doubt russell is good af but he's not asked to do much thats where 'he makes plays when needed' comes into play

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to wmasschilly's comment:

And don't forget Ghost has been having perhaps his best year--and we all know when the weather is bad you better have a clutch kicker--right now i think they're pretty confident  with him in a tight spot

This might be the most underrated thing on the team right now.  Ghost is having a historic season and has shown to be nails.  He is also a top kickoff man in the league in kicks out of the end zone.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Andrew Luck Stats

RGIII

Cam

I totally agree and already thought he was better than luck, rg3 and cam. but he also has the best players around him. being able to give the ball to lynch 25 times a game and having a top 3 defense really makes it easy on you. but no doubt russell is good af but he's not asked to do much thats where 'he makes plays when needed' comes into play

I seem to recall a number 12 having the same argument about him on his way to three superbowls.  People always thought Tom was cheap when he threw high percentage pass plays as if they were running plays.  He was always a deadly short passer and they didn't ask him to do too much.  He showed the same ability to not throw too many INTs at an early stage in his career.  Overall and most importaintly, whatever he is doing is translating to wins and that's what our boy did and I have to respect it.

*edit* even though I hate Pete Carrolls face and it pains me to say it, but I think they are the best team in the league after looking over these numbers for Wilson some more... they will be a formidable challenge

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Pete+Carroll+Seattle+Seahawks+v+San+Diego+1l-CEWBiFuRl.jpg

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Pats have to be in the conversation for best in the AFC.  Pats under BB typically peak at this time of year and it appears this year's team is doing just that. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Right now they're the best in the AFC, clearly. Two key guys need to remain healthy, well three but two that have had issues, Gronk and Talib. This is a different offense with Gronk. In my view, he's the best football player (meaning QBs don't count) in the NFL, the biggest mismatch, moreso than Megatron or Graham.  

Talib, his presence in the lineup has a noticeable impact on the defense. It's just a different unit when he's on the field. The defense has already been hammered by injuries, he needs to be out there in the playoffs.

Every team has flaws, but what team looks even close to them now? Cincy might be the next best, and I'm not that concerned. I wonder if there's any truth to the rumor that the Broncos are studying if they can build a temporary roof over their stadium?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to expertmike's comment:

In response to TheGuyWithDaThing's comment:

It was so ridiculously clear that they were conceding the run with the cover-2 shell (Talib admitted to it after the game) that it's hilarious that you couldn't figure that out. If I'm not mistaken, the "Nickel" is meant to give the other team 5 yards, just as the "dime" is used to give up 10 yards, but hopefully not more. The Pats were playing the nickel with two cover linebackers in the game (Fletcher and Collins), and without their run-stuffing DT (Sopoaga). 

Nice try.

The Pats are the 2nd WORST team in the NFL in rushing defense this season.  Not Monday night - this season.  So the point made in the OP is 100% valid. 

Stats are for losers!

BTW they aren't the 2nd worst team so stop the lies!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

I don't pay much attention to Farmers Almanac but I would love watching the Pats in a blizzard SB game.

However, didn't the NFL say they might postpone a potential blizzard game a few days so fans could travel safely etc? A real blizzard can effect everything: airlines, rail, roadways,parking, power/electric/TV and cable transmission, food deliveries, fire/police security etc. It would be difficult for the NFL to play the game under really severe conditions.  So, lets be careful what we wish for. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:

In response to expertmike's comment:

In response to TheGuyWithDaThing's comment:

It was so ridiculously clear that they were conceding the run with the cover-2 shell (Talib admitted to it after the game) that it's hilarious that you couldn't figure that out. If I'm not mistaken, the "Nickel" is meant to give the other team 5 yards, just as the "dime" is used to give up 10 yards, but hopefully not more. The Pats were playing the nickel with two cover linebackers in the game (Fletcher and Collins), and without their run-stuffing DT (Sopoaga). 

Nice try.

The Pats are the 2nd WORST team in the NFL in rushing defense this season.  Not Monday night - this season.  So the point made in the OP is 100% valid. 

Stats are for losers!

BTW they aren't the 2nd worst team so stop the lies!

Ummm. YES they are ranked 31st.  You might want to look up those loser stats before you call someone a liar

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

They are in the top 3 discussion for best in AFC, no question. But, it's a bit of a loaded question as I do think the Bronco's and Cin are in the discussion as well. However, the Bronco's have a team that's built to beat the Bengals, the Bengals have a team that's built to beat the Pats (and they did), and the Pats have the ability and coaching staff to beat the Bronco's (and they did). So really you can argue any of the 3 could be top in the AFC. KC to me doesn't seem like a team that's built to compete with any of those 3 when the playoffs hit.

Now expanding it further to the NFL in general, the Panthers could give the Pats tons of fits (as we've seen). A QB that can move and a DL that can rush 4 on Brady has always been a Pats weakness. NO, can get into a track meet and also have the ability to bring great pressure. 49ers and Seahawks could also present troubles for the same reason as the Panthers to a slightly lesser degree. Really including the Pats there are 6-7 top end teams this year and depending on playoffs matchups anyone of them could win the SB. Field advantage is going to be huge this year and a bit of luck to get better matchups.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

look, on any given Sunday...cant let down against the Texans, Bills, Browns etc....

I like this teams chances against any team with TB at QB and BB game planning and coaching, and home field.

Any team can wear the moniker "best" for all I care, lets see who is the last team standing...thats the best team 

Sections
Shortcuts