Patriots Defense is real close

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Re: Patriots Defense is real close

In response to leatherhelmet's comment:

Interesting fact. Since our 1st SB win in 2001 every Super Bowl winner, with the exception of both Giants teams that beat us, has had an all pro or pro bowl safety. The Colt team that won didn't send anyone that yr because Mr Sanders spent alot of that season injured. We haven't had a pro bowl caliber safety since Rodney Harrison.........

Brandon Meriweather was a pro-bowl safety twice. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

Interesting fact. Since our 1st SB win in 2001 every Super Bowl winner, with the exception of both Giants teams that beat us, has had an all pro or pro bowl safety. The Colt team that won didn't send anyone that yr because Mr Sanders spent alot of that season injured. We haven't had a pro bowl caliber safety since Rodney Harrison.........

Someone brought this up on F & M when they complained that since Milloy and then Harrison, Pats have lacked that hard hitting/intimidating safety.

They drafted Meriweather and Chung. So it's not like the Pats havent tried. Obviously the person who evaluates DBs stinks at his job

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

Someone brought this up on F & M when they complained that since Milloy and then Harrison, Pats have lacked that hard hitting/intimidating safety.

They drafted Meriweather and Chung. So it's not like the Pats havent tried. Obviously the person who evaluates DBs stinks at his job

Don't worry the got rid of last year's safeties coach by making him the defensive coordinator.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

The patriots have the least scary defense in the league for like 6 straight seasons.  NOT ONE intimidating player.  Not ONE scary blitz package;  not ONE confusing cover scheme.

They aren't close at all.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:

The patriots have the least scary defense in the league for like 6 straight seasons.  NOT ONE intimidating player.  Not ONE scary blitz package;  not ONE confusing cover scheme.

They aren't close at all.

Agreed. Average players playing a vanilla scheme is not going to get it done. If (as the consesus seems to be) they need 3-5 more guys for the defense (minimum CB, S, & DT) you are talking about replacing 25-45% of the defense. That does not sound super close to me.  Hightower and Jones are better than the guys out there last year, but there are still several positions to be upgraded.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

This defense just got a lot closer with the signing of Armstead.  Great pick up.

Really? They had him in pre-draft for a workout and did not even sign him as an undrafted rookie free agent. Now after one year in Canada he is ready to be a starter or a contributor?

This guy was a super prospect out of high school in CA, landed at USC where he played as a freshman backup, started his sophomore year but broke his foot, played like a 1st round pick his junior year than had a bad reaction to some medication his Sr year that actually gave him a heart attack.  

Talk about flying under the radar, this is similar to the Marcus Cannon situation where you're taking somebody based on the idea that they will get healthy.  This guy had 45 tackles and 6 sacks for the Canadian Championship Argonaut team, he might be the defensive line equivalent of Cameron Wake.

Obviously he has to prove as much at the Pro level but you can't teach 6'5" 300 pounds and if he turns out to be another BB steal, then expect to see more 3 man fronts and a much tougher, improved front with a more explosive pass rush as well as batted down balls.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

This is a very young defense and I have to agree that it is not that far from being good, perhaps really good.  Signing Talib, if the price is right, further development of Dennard and more effective depth at CB will help.  Added depth and perhaps a hard hitter who can stay healthy at Safety will pretty much solidify the secondary. 

It remains to be seen if Armstead is the answer on the DL but there is promise there.

Fire away, naysayers.  Don't really agree with you but that's what discussion forums are all about.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Yes...the D is close...close to being average again. The amount of work our D needs is substantial....

CB

Dennard is OK but his short stature worries me

Talib is a very, very high risk

The other CBs on the roster have demonstrated multiple times that they can't play CB

Safety

We have none, and no I don't like McCourty at Safety long term

LB

We are on the positive side here

DE

Need Jones to get better, and he should, Nink gets better and better, unsung hero

DT

Vince has no real help here

Get at least one powerful interior linemen to put a stop to Vince getting held and double teamed every play.

We need 3-4 new faces on D at a minimum.

Just sayin'

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

This is a very young defense and I have to agree that it is not that far from being good, perhaps really good.  Signing Talib, if the price is right, further development of Dennard and more effective depth at CB will help.  Added depth and perhaps a hard hitter who can stay healthy at Safety will pretty much solidify the secondary. 

It remains to be seen if Armstead is the answer on the DL but there is promise there.

Fire away, naysayers.  Don't really agree with you but that's what discussion forums are all about.

Name the tough player on the defense?  Name the pass rusher that other teams worry about?  Name the corner that other teams don't like to throw at?

They don't have any of those things.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

Sign Talib, and give Osi a good, hard look. He could put them over the top. Let Welker walk and sign Fitzgerald.

you have to get off the Fitz thing. first of all, the Pats cant "sign Fitzgerald"..he isnt a free agent. they have to trade for him. second, look at the Pats $$$ against the cap. Fitz is against the cap to approx $15-$17 million

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

The problem is every year our DBs our hurt. Look at the teams still playing. Asante Samuel and Dunta Robinson have played mostly all year and are healthy now. Same with Carlos Rogers and Brown!  Same with Carey Williams and Graham and the other guy. We wonder we S*ck every year because every year we have this house of horrors, carousel of Cbs in and out and the guy starting the season aint even on the team....BB has to get the RIGHT group! and Let them STAY OUT THERE and GEL!  Its getting Ridiculous now! DOnt get me started on our WR corps!  Stallworth wasnt good enough to stay in 08' but we need him in 2012!?!?! sb mvp bRANCH from 03' is playing HALF THE SNAPS!  Slater is the 4th guy!  lol   What a Joke! Im tired of watching Brady try to mask the defencicies of this genius!

You guys know the Ravns were in Nickel ALL GAME!???  We stil couldnt run it effectively with Ridley and 2 TE's!  So Bedard referred to Brady playing with one hand tied behind his back and just like the Jets in 2010.

When you gonna adjust BB!???????    WOW

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Name the tough player on the defense?  Name the pass rusher that other teams worry about?  Name the corner that other teams don't like to throw at?

The tough player, there is more than 1, but to choose 1 it's spikes. Pass rusher?...don't have any dominating and this is a concern. Corner is Talib, but not signed which is an issue.

i don't think we are far off either. Look at the difference Talib made...night and day. If we resign him, grab a dominating DL to put next to Vince and maybe a safety like Byrd, draft a kid like Poyer and we are on our way. Vastly improved assuming jones, Hightower, Wilson all make that jump up...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

I would not say they are that close as of right now.

Talib as of this moment is not a member of team really. He was a good citizen for the short period of time playing for a big contract. Can you really trust his lengthy track record? Do you want to give guaranteed money and a long term deal to find out? That's a tough one.

They have no idea if RAS-I can play yet because he has not been healthy.

If McCourtey stays at FS then you have Gregory as your intimidator? Not sure Gregory is going to intimidate anyone. Is Wilson a big hitter? Can he leap frog Gregory? I want someone to knock the snot out of some people. Not much depth.

If Dennard assumes one starting CB you still need to find another VERY good cover corner WITH size. (Talib and Ras-i type size) Not much depth.

They need a linebacker who can handle pass coverage. Pats LB's stink at it.

They need both another serious inside DT, who can also rush the passer AND another VERY good outside pass rusher.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

Talib as of this moment is not a member of team really.

If McCourtey stays at FS then you have Gregory as your intimidator? Not sure Gregory is going to intimidate anyone. Is Wilson a big hitter? Can he leap frog Gregory? I want someone to knock the snot out of some people. Not much depth.

If Dennard assumes one starting CB you still need to find another VERY good cover corner WITH size. (Talib and Ras-i type size) Not much depth.

They need both another serious inside DT, who can also rush the passer AND another VERY good outside pass rusher.

Low,

agree, but if we did what I mention above we are vastly improved less the very good pass rusher you mention....

gregory in my mind is a waste. He is neither a good cover corner nor an intimidator. This is why we need to bring in a gholdson or Byrd.. paired next to mccourty the safety position would be an asset. Wilson is your depth and I bring him on in passing situations to spell spikes. Also remember fletcher is due back and he is decent in pass coverage. 

I am not counting on Ras nor Arrington, but assume the pats will resign Talib to fair money. They can't afford to lose him. If done, that gives us continuity andbtalib and Dennard as your starters with Arrington or Ras as your 4th& 5th cb's and we go draft poyer or a kid like that to mix in with Ras and Arrington...that is an improve,ent assuming Ras steps up and we don't use Arrington other than in the slot.

the DL needs an interior DT plus a pass rushing end. In my mind this is the more difficult scenario. i think we need to use our 1st on a kid like Jesse Williams....love and deaderick back up. Not putting ant stock in the kid we grabbed from the CFL...any pass rushing FA's worth mention?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

This defense just got a lot closer with the signing of Armstead.  Great pick up.

Really? They had him in pre-draft for a workout and did not even sign him as an undrafted rookie free agent. Now after one year in Canada he is ready to be a starter or a contributor?

This guy was a super prospect out of high school in CA, landed at USC where he played as a freshman backup, started his sophomore year but broke his foot, played like a 1st round pick his junior year than had a bad reaction to some medication his Sr year that actually gave him a heart attack.  

Talk about flying under the radar, this is similar to the Marcus Cannon situation where you're taking somebody based on the idea that they will get healthy.  This guy had 45 tackles and 6 sacks for the Canadian Championship Argonaut team, he might be the defensive line equivalent of Cameron Wake.

Obviously he has to prove as much at the Pro level but you can't teach 6'5" 300 pounds and if he turns out to be another BB steal, then expect to see more 3 man fronts and a much tougher, improved front with a more explosive pass rush as well as batted down balls.

the parts in bold letters sounds like Ron Brace

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Tough player on D:  2 come immediately to mind:  Big Vince and Spikes;

Pass rusher:  Not there yet bu Chandler Jones was getting there before he dinged up both ankles

Corner:  No argument.

Next negative post please?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

Talib as of this moment is not a member of team really.

Low,

agree, but if we did what I mention above we are vastly improved less the very good pass rusher you mention....

gregory in my mind is a waste. He is neither a good cover corner nor an intimidator. This is why we need to bring in a gholdson or Byrd.. paired next to mccourty the safety position would be an asset. Wilson is your depth and I bring him on in passing situations to spell spikes. Also remember fletcher is due back and he is decent in pass coverage. 

I am not counting on Ras nor Arrington, but assume the pats will resign Talib to fair money. They can't afford to lose him. If done, that gives us continuity andbtalib and Dennard as your starters with Arrington or Ras as your 4th& 5th cb's and we go draft poyer or a kid like that to mix in with Ras and Arrington...that is an improve,ent assuming Ras steps up and we don't use Arrington other than in the slot.

the DL needs an interior DT plus a pass rushing end. In my mind this is the more difficult scenario. i think we need to use our 1st on a kid like Jesse Williams....love and deaderick back up. Not putting ant stock in the kid we grabbed from the CFL...any pass rushing FA's worth mention?

I honeslty have not looked yet and don't know.

On the safeties... I believe Byrd is already negotiating to stay in Buffalo and The Pats tried already to Woo Gholdson and he opted to stay in SF. Could see that being the case again.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Dumb premise.  Meriweather was a Pro Bowl Safety and we all know how overrated he was.  Pro Bowl awards mean zilch in today's game.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

Sign Talib, and give Osi a good, hard look. He could put them over the top. Let Welker walk and sign Fitzgerald.

Um, so who is going to be the short to mid field receiver?  BTW, Fitzgerald isn't going anywhere!

gronk, hernandez, fells, Ballard, Vareen, Woody, I mean choose one!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

the parts in bold letters sounds like Ron Brace

He sounds nothing like Brace; Armstead plays DE, was explosive in college and Canada making many plays behind the line of scrimmage, he is tall and while he makes tackles is not a run stuffer by trade.

The only familiar sounding part to this post is the negativity, I'm sure you'll come around after you get some sunshine and hugs.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:

In response to TripleOG's comment:

The problem is every year our DBs our hurt. Look at the teams still playing. Asante Samuel and Dunta Robinson have played mostly all year and are healthy now. Same with Carlos Rogers and Brown!  Same with Carey Williams and Graham and the other guy. We wonder we S*ck every year because every year we have this house of horrors, carousel of Cbs in and out and the guy starting the season aint even on the team....BB has to get the RIGHT group! and Let them STAY OUT THERE and GEL!  Its getting Ridiculous now! DOnt get me started on our WR corps!  Stallworth wasnt good enough to stay in 08' but we need him in 2012!?!?! sb mvp bRANCH from 03' is playing HALF THE SNAPS!  Slater is the 4th guy!  lol   What a Joke! Im tired of watching Brady try to mask the defencicies of this genius!

You guys know the Ravns were in Nickel ALL GAME!???  We stil couldnt run it effectively with Ridley and 2 TE's!  So Bedard referred to Brady playing with one hand tied behind his back and just like the Jets in 2010.

Did you see Brady pass 54 times in this game trailing 14-13 after 3 qtrs? How is it any different than the Jets loss in 2010?

When are you going to realize it's not about just Tom Brady throwing or wanting to throw to only 2, maybe 3 targets 5-10 yards over the middle of the field?

How does a coach "adjust" from injuries?  I'd rather our offense adjust from a pansy. finesse offense that has failed in January/Feb since 2007, but I guess it's too much to ask at this point. lol

Yes and most those passes came in the 2nd hald after we put up 13 points using Brady under center with 2 TEs and Ridley as the lead like you wanted so what happened. I dont care what the score is, there is no reason to keep running if you aint getting nothing. Brady wasnt succesful in the passing game because Bmore was in nickel. You are supposed to run wild on nickel and we didnt and it caused brady to have to throw all day on nickel as opposed to being able to pass on 1st down against base defenses.  Caldwell started the game the same way he played vs Denver. Run, Run, Pass. It coulnt be any easier to defend and I brought this up when telling my friend our defense SHOULD play well but the minute they scrapped their Base Game plan and Put Flacco in the Gun , I knew our Defense was toast and so did BB hence the change to shotgun but it was too late and BB was late to adjust. You still acting like Brady makes the gameplans, decides what personell to use,etc. When you gonna lay blame on the real Problem. The Real leader of this team, BB

Lets see that 5 people who have asked you today to go learn the game. None for me!  lol....I guess were all wrong and YOU are right?  of course....  :)

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Did you see Brady pass 54 times in this game trailing 14-13 after 3 qtrs? How is it any different than the Jets loss in 2010?

When are you going to realize it's not about just Tom Brady throwing or wanting to throw to only 2, maybe 3 targets 5-10 yards over the middle of the field?

How does a coach "adjust" from injuries?  I'd rather our offense adjust from a pansy. finesse offense that has failed in January/Feb since 2007, but I guess it's too much to ask at this point. lol

Yes and most those passes came in the 2nd hald after we put up 13 points using Brady under center with 2 TEs and Ridley as the lead like you wanted so what happened. I dont care what the score is, there is no reason to keep running if you aint getting nothing. Brady wasnt succesful in the passing game because Bmore was in nickel. You are supposed to run wild on nickel and we didnt and it caused brady to have to throw all day on nickel as opposed to being able to pass on 1st down against base defenses.  Caldwell started the game the same way he played vs Denver. Run, Run, Pass. It coulnt be any easier to defend and I brought this up when telling my friend our defense SHOULD play well but the minute they scrapped their Base Game plan and Put Flacco in the Gun , I knew our Defense was toast and so did BB hence the change to shotgun but it was too late and BB was late to adjust. You still acting like Brady makes the gameplans, decides what personell to use,etc. When you gonna lay blame on the real Problem. The Real leader of this team, BB

Lets see that 5 people who have asked you today to go learn the game. None for me!  lol....I guess were all wrong and YOU are right?  of course....  :)

"Getting nothing"?  Ridley ran for 5+ yards on 1st down MANY TIMES!

Face it:

They blew at least an additional 10 points, if no 13 or 17 in the first half and then panicked in the 3rd, trying to score quick by using shotgun spreads.

FAIL

let me try again. I know this stuff is hard for you. We started the game with Ridley and had some success early. The Ravens didnt switch back to their base defense when this happened. They stuck with their gameplan because they know Ridley wouldnt hurt them as much as Brady so they stayed in NIckel but they brought every up to the line and when this happened. Brady rightfully backed up and changed the play to try to take advantage but those guys Ed Reed and Lewis..ya know the future hall of famers get paid too and they know this team and were able to disguise some things so that after the snap, they would cover up. These are games they can play when your offense becomes one dimensional. It became one dimensional because Bmore was able to stifle the run with their nickel. Remember during regular season we RAN WILD on Buffalo when they stayed in Nickel?? Well, Bmore is not Buffalo and thats why I dont why HOMERS like you were all excited when the defense put out good showing vs Miami and J-Ville!  LMAO!  Only You !  "look every one our D is ASCENDING!, We just SHUT OUT MIAMI!""  "Oh we do that every year in decemebr vs Miami???" Ok sorry...

LMAO @ you!!!!    LEARN THE GAME!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

"Getting nothing"?  Ridley ran for 5+ yards on 1st down MANY TIMES!

Face it:

They blew at least an additional 10 points, if no 13 or 17 in the first half and then panicked in the 3rd, trying to score quick by using shotgun spreads.

FAIL

let me try again. I know this stuff is hard for you. We started the game with Ridley and had some success early. The Ravens didnt switch back to their base defense when this happened. They stuck with their gameplan because they know Ridley wouldnt hurt them as much as Brady so they stayed in NIckel but they brought every up to the line and when this happened. Brady rightfully backed up and changed the play to try to take advantage but those guys Ed Reed and Lewis..ya know the future hall of famers get paid too and they know this team and were able to disguise some things so that after the snap, they would cover up. These are games they can play when your offense becomes one dimensional. It became one dimensional because Bmore was able to stifle the run with their nickel. Remember during regular season we RAN WILD on Buffalo when they stayed in Nickel?? Well, Bmore is not Buffalo and thats why I dont why HOMERS like you were all excited when the defense put out good showing vs Miami and J-Ville!  LMAO!  Only You !  "look every one our D is ASCENDING!, We just SHUT OUT MIAMI!""  "Oh we do that every year in decemebr vs Miami???" Ok sorry...

LMAO @ you!!!!    LEARN THE GAME!

With all due respect. The Pats did squat in the 1st Qtr running the ball which was a very big part of their lack of success in that quarter.

It then proceeded to get stronger as the game went on.

4.5 ypc in the 2nd qtr and then 4.75 ypc in the 2nd half leading up to Ridley getting knocked out.

Mind you I am not agreeing to anything Scully says as he's always way over the top with his  opinion. Just giving you some facts from the game for accuracy.

I would also recommend being careful hanging on to every word from Beddard. He's never coached a day in his life. Played golf in HS and by his own words expresses his overall knowledge as limited in an interview. That's not to say that a lot of what he writes is without merit.

Sections
Shortcuts