Patriots Defense is real close

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: Patriots Defense is real close

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:

Name the tough player on the defense?  Name the pass rusher that other teams worry about?  Name the corner that other teams don't like to throw at?

They don't have any of those things.

Tough players?

Vince, Spikes, Mayo, Love, McCourty can play safety with corner size because he's tough, Dennard is downright strong for a corner, Talib is a big physical corner who can man up the best big guys in the NFL.  

The D needed more beef and already signed the best undrafted free agent available right now in Armstead.  

Nincovich at outside linebacker and Jones edge rushing from anywhere are both fearsome pass rushers, with more beef inside they become doubley as effective.  With another D lineman added to the roster tweeners like Deaderick become more effective and when you blitz a Mayo, Spikes or Hightower they get free a lot easier.

Optimism isn't running rampant here is it...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

In response to rkarp's comment:

the parts in bold letters sounds like Ron Brace

He sounds nothing like Brace; Armstead plays DE, was explosive in college and Canada making many plays behind the line of scrimmage, he is tall and while he makes tackles is not a run stuffer by trade.

The only familiar sounding part to this post is the negativity, I'm sure you'll come around after you get some sunshine and hugs.

you said super prospect out of high school....played his sphmore year.....1st rd potential his jr year....you cant teach 6'5" and over 300 lbs....

that isnt Ron Brace?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

you said super prospect out of high school....played his sphmore year.....1st rd potential his jr year....you cant teach 6'5" and over 300 lbs....

that isnt Ron Brace?

Ron Brace is 6'3" and 345 pounds, strictly a run stuffer.

Armstead 6'5" 300 pounds defensive end, quick twitch muscles, tackles for loss, sacks, can occupy multiple blockers if surrounded by capable line mates like Vince and Love.  Nothing alike, except in your enthusiasm.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

that isnt Ron Brace?

Ron Brace is 6'3" and 345 pounds, strictly a run stuffer.

Armstead 6'5" 300 pounds defensive end, quick twitch muscles, tackles for loss, sacks, can occupy multiple blockers if surrounded by capable line mates like Vince and Love.  Nothing alike, except in your enthusiasm.

Agree...no comparison to Brace...better comparison based on size alone is to Deaderick. Almost identical. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to leatherhelmet's comment:

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

In response to leatherhelmet's comment:

Interesting fact. Since our 1st SB win in 2001 every Super Bowl winner, with the exception of both Giants teams that beat us, has had an all pro or pro bowl safety. The Colt team that won didn't send anyone that yr because Mr Sanders spent alot of that season injured. We haven't had a pro bowl caliber safety since Rodney Harrison.........

Dumb premise.  Meriweather was a Pro Bowl Safety and we all know how overrated he was.  Pro Bowl awards mean zilch in today's game.  

JUST THE FACTS. btw How many teams have won the SB without pro bowl players??

Not sure but who on the 2001 Pats team was a pro bowl selectee?  Only one perhaps I can think of would be Ty Law.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

If I'm not mistaken Lawyer Milloy was a pro bowler in 2001 but I could be wrong.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

I think Wilfork, Ninkovich and Chandler have the makings of a real solid D Line.  Dunno why Nink continues to get dumped on.  Most of the film reviews I read argued he was one of the better players on defense in the Ravens game.  I think they need another interior presence next to Vince which maybe this CFL guy could do. 

They really need another coverage linebacker to go with Mayo.  Spikes got absolutely toasted in coverage last weekend by Pitta.  Hopefully Hightower can continue to improve and maybe fill that role.

In the secondary Dennard was an amazing find and hopefully his strong play continues into next season.  DMC is a solid safety, but I think they need to upgrade the other safety spot.  Gregory did not have a good game against Baltimore either and like Spikes was responsible for a lot of the breakdowns in the middle of the field.  Man what I would give to see Ed Reed in a Pats uniform next season.  If they can't resign Talib I think they need another corner just for depth purposes as Ras I is injury prone and Cole is more of a special teamer.  Arrington I think actually had a good game against Baltimore.  Not great, but solid.  So yeah I think this D has a lot of potential next season if we fill in a few more pieces.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

REAL CLOSE.... to what?

Did you see Sunday's game, and I mean REALL watch it? The DB were absolutely manhandled and abused, when they weren't covering anyone. Way too many 20+ yard plays to mention. This All Universe offense was suppowed to help cover up the inefficiencies, er, "issues" of a young and learning defense, that was going to get better as the season went along, and peak in the playoffs (as posted here by pink hatters and homers). So, what happens? The defense gives up big plays as if they were candy corn at Halloween, and the offense, they of the All Universe status, gets taken to the wood shed by an old, aging, slow (posters' descriptions, NOT mine), defense.

Too many holes to fill to be REAL CLOSE to anything, but domestic Swiss Cheese (smaller holes, but still holes, nonetheless). Can't remember the last time ANY Patriot "willed" the team to win a big game.    

Good? Yes; good enough to win the AFC East by default. But, I'm not buying into the 2013 edition as serious/real/legit SB winners until I see things like: attitude, intimidation, and fire in teh belly of the key players. These post game con ferences explaining another postseason exit are like pure vanilla. If all I want to hear is stuff like" "We have to get better", "We have to fdocus", "We have to execute better", I'll just ask my kids/grandkids what they will do to correct a bad report card.  

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:

I remember last year's SB when the D willed itself to hold to 6 points in the second half, waiting for the offense to just get 1 FG on 4 drives in the 4th qtr to win the game.

That's what I remember.

The D is very close. NE has a load of cap room, especially if they walk from Welker, and you can't discount the continuity BB has here.  I would like to see a talented Safety in here to pair with McCourty and I would resign Talib to keep he and Dennard as the starters.  They make for arguably the two best starting CBs in the AFC right now.

Dennard had an outstanding rookie year.  He sort of reminds me of Samuel, with a slightly differing skill set (better tackler, better overall technique in man/press).

Dane Flecther will be back which could help on 3rd downs and passing situations, but overall, this LB group is very good.  Maybe a veteran DE would be a wise move as well.

But yeah, they're clearly very close with the cap management allowing them to draw quality FAs and to build off the youngest D in the league.

The D willed themslves to allow scores on 3 of 4 possessions.  Nothing more!

The D willed themselves to allow scoring 7's on 4 out of 4 rz attempts this year.

Nothung more.