PATRIOTS DEFENSE

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

PATRIOTS DEFENSE

Does this defense have a familiar feel to it. We are quietly leading the league in fumbles and have the 3rd best ppg average in the league behind Broncos and Colts.

Also is Leigh Bodden becoming a shut down corner for us. I have not seen the ball thrown his way much the last few weeks.

Defensive mvp so far Brandon Mcgowan. He is a tackling machine.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Re: PATRIOTS DEFENSE

This team does remind me of our championship teams.  If we can find a more consistent running game we're golden.  Our defense is only going to get better.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

They are improving. Pees needs to call more aggressive schemes at times, more movement at the line for different looks; especially when we have opposing teams deep in their own side of field - Pees has been too conservative. Plus, it'd be interesting to see if it's the scheme or Adalius' play that is limiting him from being an 'impact' player.....???

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

well to answer your question about bodden, he may have not had too many passes his way this past sunday and last sunday he didnt even start, but in denver he was playing off the reciever and they were throwing at him all day and driving the ball down the field one first down after another.

So is he a shutdown corner?  No, far from it.  But he has played alot better than any CB we had last year. 

I think the secondary has had a tremendous improvement from last year, despite not having thier leader in Rodney Harrison.

And yes the Dfense looks pretty good so far.  Alot younger and faster than it has been in years and I think they will continue to improve.

Not to take away from the D, but the offense has played a big role in helping out with ball control and winning the battle in time of possesion.  But the D is not giving up big passing plays.

Im still suspect in the rush defense and I think our pass rush is improving.

We will find out how good they are in the next 5weeks.  That is the roughest part of the schedule.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

if only they could stop the run.think how much better they could be.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

In Response to PATRIOTS DEFENSE:
    Does this defense have a familiar feel to it. We are quietly leading the league in fumbles and have the 3rd best ppg average in the league behind Broncos and Colts. Also is Leigh Bodden becoming a shut down corner for us. I have not seen the ball thrown his way much the last few weeks. Defensive mvp so far Brandon Mcgowan. He is a tackling machine.
    Posted by TrueChamp

I have been saying this all along.....while people keep questioning Pees, the D just keeps playing better and proving what I was thinking.  I knew Bodden was going to be good in this system, he had success in the same system in Cleveland, I hope we can re-sign him for next year.  McGowan has been good.....I am impressed with Guyton.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

In Response to Re: PATRIOTS DEFENSE:
    if only they could stop the run.think how much better they could be.
    Posted by mosseffect43

NE is 17th in run D Yds per game.....The Pats are #1 in Rushing TD's allowed.  They average giving up 109 yds per game and have given up 1 rushing TD in 7 games......What do you see wrong with the Pats rushing D?  I see the other team eating up the clock and the pats shutting them down in the redzone.

Nothing wrong with the run D......sorry.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: PATRIOTS DEFENSE : NE is 17th in run D Yds per game.....The Pats are #1 in Rushing TD's allowed.  They average giving up 109 yds per game and have given up 1 rushing TD in 7 games......What do you see wrong with the Pats rushing D?  I see the other team eating up the clock and the pats shutting them down in the redzone. Nothing wrong with the run D......sorry.
    Posted by m1020us

We are letting up more rush yards then a normal BB defense, however our old bend don't break plan is in effect considering the 1 rushing td in the redzone.

To the other poster who said Bodden didn't start a few weeks ago against Denver? I am not sure about this and I remember it was Springs getting taken advantage of in single coverage against B Marshall.

Also BB's defensive philosophy has almost always been to play the corner a few yards off to protect the big play and buckle down in redzone. I do not think this reflects on Boddens coverage skills as much as the outcome of our defensive game plan. (We are not bumping the wrs at the line)

I think our only real ? on defense is whether or not we can consistently pressure good QBs. Obviously we will find out soon as Brees and Manning are getting closer on the schedule.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

I expect our next game against Miami we will be more stop the run focused then any game this season. Having 2 weeks to prepare for the Wildcat is a great thing. I expect BB to come up with a scheme to match what we did in game 2 last year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

In Response to Re: PATRIOTS DEFENSE : NE is 17th in run D Yds per game.....The Pats are #1 in Rushing TD's allowed.  They average giving up 109 yds per game and have given up 1 rushing TD in 7 games......What do you see wrong with the Pats rushing D?  I see the other team eating up the clock and the pats shutting them down in the redzone. Nothing wrong with the run D......sorry.
    Posted by m1020us

17th in rush defense is not good.  How many yards will a 17th rush defense allow to a top 10 or even a top 5 rushing offense?  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from IraqSteve. Show IraqSteve's posts

I like what I'm seeing with the D and they are playing better than I expected them to when before the season started.  But I'll be the bad guy here for arguements sake:

The PPG looks good because they gave up 7 points in the last 2 games. Not trying to take too much away from the D but it was against Tampa & Tenn.

I did like how they played against Atl taking Tony G out of the game - but remember Baltimore DROPPED that 4th down pass that ended the game for them.  If that WR catches that ball then who knows what may have happened.

Also, in the Denver OT game - defense did not even give Brady a shot.  Denver cruised down the field and scored.

All that said, I still like what I am seeing.  I think (as most of us have stated) the reals tests will be in the next 5 weeks.  I think in the beginning of December we will all havea GOOD look at the Pats and a GOOD idea about how they do at a SB run. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

I'll withhold comment on this subject until 30 days have passed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

In Response to Re: PATRIOTS DEFENSE : We are letting up more rush yards then a normal BB defense, however our old bend don't break plan is in effect considering the 1 rushing td in the redzone. To the other poster who said Bodden didn't start a few weeks ago against Denver? I am not sure about this and I remember it was Springs getting taken advantage of in single coverage against B Marshall. Also BB's defensive philosophy has almost always been to play the corner a few yards off to protect the big play and buckle down in redzone. I do not think this reflects on Boddens coverage skills as much as the outcome of our defensive game plan. (We are not bumping the wrs at the line) I think our only real ? on defense is whether or not we can consistently pressure good QBs. Obviously we will find out soon as Brees and Manning are getting closer on the schedule.
    Posted by TrueChamp

I meant he did not start the Tennessee game.  In the denver game he had about 10tackles and they were primarily due to the cushion that he was giving the recievers.

I dont think he was covering Marshall the whole time.  I can remember him lining up against Royal and Gaffney. 

In his defense, I think the defense called for him to allow the reciever to much of a cushion.  Thats the reason for the 5-7yrd passes being thrown his way.  I dont think he has been burned at all this season. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodsport. Show goodsport's posts

I am not as optimistic about the Pats defense.  Over the past few years they always seem to be a step slow getting to the QB.  Their pass rush is almost non-existent.  Also, they played a terrible team last week and the wek before and they still could not get to the QB.

Tampa had a number of plays where the receivers were wide open,  Fortunately for the Pats, the receivers either dropped the ball, the QB did not see the wide open receiver or the QB threw a miserable pass.  These things will come back to haunt the Pats against good teams and especially the Colts and NO.  I think the Pats are afraid to blitz because of the secondary or they just do not have the talent to get to the QB.  Either way, the defense is not championship caliber talent.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

I am not as optimistic about the Pats defense.  Over the past few years they always seem to be a step slow getting to the QB.  Their pass rush is almost non-existent.  Also, they played a terrible team last week and the wek before and they still could not get to the QB. Tampa had a number of plays where the receivers were wide open,  Fortunately for the Pats, the receivers either dropped the ball, the QB did not see the wide open receiver or the QB threw a miserable pass.  These things will come back to haunt the Pats against good teams and especially the Colts and NO.  I think the Pats are afraid to blitz because of the secondary or they just do not have the talent to get to the QB.  Either way, the defense is not championship caliber talent.
    Posted by goodsport

Im going to have to agree with that a little bit.  In the Tennesse game the recievers couldnt hold on to the ball to save thier life and I dont think the pats recorded any sacks against Collins.

In the tampa game, they just have bad qb's in there.  Their was a couple of dropped balls but overall the qb was pretty bad. 

When they did play against a good QB (Flacco&Orton) they have allowed over 300 passing yards. 

I think that playing Ten&Tampa helped thier confidence and got them more comfortable in the system. 

We continue to speculate and give our opinion about this defense, but we all know that these next few weeks will give us a real indication on how much they have improved.

Also,  as good as Meriweather has been playing he still need to improve his tackling.

Before I forget, the TD against Butler in the Tampa game was a little indication that they still need to improve.  A good qb makes those throws most of the time.  Its up to the DB to defend it and Butler didnt even know where the ball was at.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pfans. Show Pfans's posts

In Response to Re: PATRIOTS DEFENSE : I meant he did not start the Tennessee game.  In the denver game he had about 10tackles and they were primarily due to the cushion that he was giving the recievers. I dont think he was covering Marshall the whole time.  I can remember him lining up against Royal and Gaffney.  In his defense, I think the defense called for him to allow the reciever to much of a cushion.  Thats the reason for the 5-7yrd passes being thrown his way.  I dont think he has been burned at all this season. 
    Posted by patsfaninsatx

From Mike Reiss Blog

LONDON -- A look at the snaps played by Patriots defenders in the team's 35-7 win over the Buccaneers (as charted in the press box, small margin for error):

ILB Jerod Mayo -- 56 of 61
    S Brandon Meriweather -- 56 of 61
    S Brandon McGowan -- 56 of 61
    DE/OLB Derrick Burgess -- 53 of 61

"CB Leigh Bodden -- 53 of 61 - He played a lot in this game"

DE/OLB Tully Banta-Cain -- 50 of 61
    CB Darius Butler -- 49 of 61
    ILB Gary Guyton -- 47 of 61
    CB Jonathan Wilhite -- 47 of 61
    S Pat Chung -- 36 of 61
    DE Ty Warren -- 27 of 61
    DL Myron Pryor -- 26 of 61
    DT Vince Wilfork -- 24 of 61
    DL Jarvis Green -- 23 of 61
    OLB Adalius Thomas -- 18 of 61
    ILB Junior Seau -- 16 of 61
    DL Mike Wright -- 15 of 61
    S James Sanders -- 12 of 61
    S Bret Lockett -- 5 of 61
    CB Shawn Springs -- 2 of 61

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

In Response to Re: PATRIOTS DEFENSE : 17th in rush defense is not good.  How many yards will a 17th rush defense allow to a top 10 or even a top 5 rushing offense?  
    Posted by patsfaninsatx

I don't care how many yards I give up, it is all about the points.....we gave up 1 Rushing TD in 7 games.....Best in the NFL.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

I like what I'm seeing with the D and they are playing better than I expected them to when before the season started.  But I'll be the bad guy here for arguements sake: The PPG looks good because they gave up 7 points in the last 2 games. Not trying to take too much away from the D but it was against Tampa & Tenn. I did like how they played against Atl taking Tony G out of the game - but remember Baltimore DROPPED that 4th down pass that ended the game for them.  If that WR catches that ball then who knows what may have happened. Also, in the Denver OT game - defense did not even give Brady a shot.  Denver cruised down the field and scored. All that said, I still like what I am seeing.  I think (as most of us have stated) the reals tests will be in the next 5 weeks.  I think in the beginning of December we will all havea GOOD look at the Pats and a GOOD idea about how they do at a SB run. 
    Posted by IraqSteve

Even before the last 2 games, teh Pats were in the top 10 in PPG allowed.

But that PPG was misleading because the Offense had given up a couple of TD's this season.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: PATRIOTS DEFENSE : From Mike Reiss Blog LONDON -- A look at the snaps played by Patriots defenders in the team's 35-7 win over the Buccaneers (as charted in the press box, small margin for error):ILB Jerod Mayo -- 56 of 61 S Brandon Meriweather -- 56 of 61 S Brandon McGowan -- 56 of 61 DE/OLB Derrick Burgess -- 53 of 61 "CB Leigh Bodden -- 53 of 61 - He played a lot in this game" DE/OLB Tully Banta-Cain -- 50 of 61 CB Darius Butler -- 49 of 61 ILB Gary Guyton -- 47 of 61 CB Jonathan Wilhite -- 47 of 61 S Pat Chung -- 36 of 61 DE Ty Warren -- 27 of 61 DL Myron Pryor -- 26 of 61 DT Vince Wilfork -- 24 of 61 DL Jarvis Green -- 23 of 61 OLB Adalius Thomas -- 18 of 61 ILB Junior Seau -- 16 of 61 DL Mike Wright -- 15 of 61 S James Sanders -- 12 of 61 S Bret Lockett -- 5 of 61 CB Shawn Springs -- 2 of 61
    Posted by Pfans

Good Stuff. Thanks for the info. It seems BB is really using a lot of the defensive players, getting them experience and keeping them fresh.

I agree that the D is far from perfect but I do like the improvement they have made each week and I think were headed in the right direction.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

In Response to Re: PATRIOTS DEFENSE : Good Stuff. Thanks for the info. It seems BB is really using a lot of the defensive players, getting them experience and keeping them fresh. I agree that the D is far from perfect but I do like the improvement they have made each week and I think were headed in the right direction.
    Posted by TrueChamp

Nothing is perfect.....not even the 86 bears D......but the Pats Defense is as good as it ever was....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

Isn't Bill's philosophy to stop the opponents strength and let them try to beat you with their weakness?  If not many of the teams that they have played thus far don't use runners are their strength, then that makes sense on why there are as many yards as they have.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

In Response to Re: PATRIOTS DEFENSE : From Mike Reiss Blog LONDON -- A look at the snaps played by Patriots defenders in the team's 35-7 win over the Buccaneers (as charted in the press box, small margin for error):ILB Jerod Mayo -- 56 of 61 S Brandon Meriweather -- 56 of 61 S Brandon McGowan -- 56 of 61 DE/OLB Derrick Burgess -- 53 of 61 "CB Leigh Bodden -- 53 of 61 - He played a lot in this game" DE/OLB Tully Banta-Cain -- 50 of 61 CB Darius Butler -- 49 of 61 ILB Gary Guyton -- 47 of 61 CB Jonathan Wilhite -- 47 of 61 S Pat Chung -- 36 of 61 DE Ty Warren -- 27 of 61 DL Myron Pryor -- 26 of 61 DT Vince Wilfork -- 24 of 61 DL Jarvis Green -- 23 of 61 OLB Adalius Thomas -- 18 of 61 ILB Junior Seau -- 16 of 61 DL Mike Wright -- 15 of 61 S James Sanders -- 12 of 61 S Bret Lockett -- 5 of 61 CB Shawn Springs -- 2 of 61
    Posted by Pfans

Your showing me what? 

In that post I corrected myself.  I said he did not start the "Tennessee" game, I didnt say he didnt start the "Tampa" game.

Check those stats.  Even if he got reps in it was probably because the final score 59-0.

Both Bodden and Springs didnt start against the Titans.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

In Response to Re: PATRIOTS DEFENSE : I don't care how many yards I give up, it is all about the points.....we gave up 1 Rushing TD in 7 games.....Best in the NFL.
    Posted by m1020us

It is important how many yards they give up.  Its called time of posession.  Our strenth is our offense.  If we dont have the ball then we dont score.

But you are correct, Points is what matters.

Like I said, the Phins game will be a good measurement to see what we got followed up by the Colts.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Isn't Bill's p hilosophy to stop the opponents strength and let them try to beat you with their weakness?  If not many of the teams that they have played thus far don't use runners are their strength, then that makes sense on why there are as many yards as they have.
    Posted by m1020us

Exactly.  What matters is that we shut down the run when we need to - which I think the D has done an excellent job of so far this season.  I recallymany drive ending stops on 3rd/4th and short this season, like back in the good old days of 2004.  If we could have done that in the Super Bowl, Samuel's poor play the rest of that drive wouldn't have mattered.

Speaking of which, did anyone see the breakdown of the miracle on NBC this past sunday?  They showed video of the whole field at the time of the play, the first I had seen.  They said Samuel was in man coverage one-on-one with Tyree but for some reason let Tyree go - Harrison was on the other side of the field and wasn't even supposed to be covering Tyree.  So why the f*ck did Samuel break off his coverage?

Sections
Shortcuts