PATRIOTS DEFENSE

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

Re: PATRIOTS DEFENSE

He was playing off the corner yes but that wasn't his call. If you noticed the Pats have been getting much more aggressive in their coverage and taking chances. They are allowing these guys to be more aggressive and that was a change from the beginning of the season. I think they were just trying to hold the boat together at the start to see how much these guys could handle. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuckfairbanks. Show chuckfairbanks's posts

"Also, in the Denver OT game - defense did not even give Brady a shot.  Denver cruised down the field and scored."

Game was lost by the offense in regulation - Brady overthrew a wide open Moss in the end zone, a missed 40 yd FG, and the O-line letting Vonnie Holliday bust through and strip Brady with 2 minutes left in regulation.  And they didn't score at all in the second half.

Giving up 17 points in regulation, in their new house of horrors Denver, against McDiapers who knew the Pats tendencies inside-out was quite an accomplishment.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

While I think they are improving, they currently are giving up ~4.5 yards per carry....in my mind, yards/game isn't as good of a stat.

Under 4 yards is where they need to be...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to PATRIOTS DEFENSE:
    [QUOTE]Does this defense have a familiar feel to it. We are quietly leading the league in fumbles and have the 3rd best ppg average in the league behind Broncos and Colts. Also is Leigh Bodden becoming a shut down corner for us. I have not seen the ball thrown his way much the last few weeks. Defensive mvp so far Brandon Mcgowan. He is a tackling machine.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

It feels that way a little..I'm scared of the Colts and the Saints. After those 2 games we'll know for sure.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]Does this defense have a familiar feel to it. We are quietly leading the league in fumbles and have the 3rd best ppg average in the league behind Broncos and Colts. Also is Leigh Bodden becoming a shut down corner for us. I have not seen the ball thrown his way much the last few weeks. Defensive mvp so far Brandon Mcgowan. He is a tackling machine.

We're currently ranked 3rd in points allowed which technically makes us the 3rd best defense in the league, regardless of strength of schedule or anything else it is what it is...

Leigh Bodden and Darius Butler are both leaning towards shutdown corner status, they're always around the ball making a play and our safeties Meriweather and McGowan are nasty, if Chung can continue to make strides and our other corners as well we will start making more plays on the ball.

The linebackers have been fair but can improve a lot.  I think many of us were expecting the defensive backs to have a larger learning curve than any other position along the D but the linebackers have yet to gel or get to the point of comfort where they just play and not over think things.  I believe they will have an "a ha" moment soon and the pressure will come in bundles...

The D line has been everything we hoped for and more considering the addition by subtraction with Seymour gone but Pryor stepping up huge.  Myron and Wright are getting a lot of reps because it's midway through the season, we're on cruise control in the trenches and we'd like Vince and Warren healthy for the stretch run.  I assume we'll see some Ron Brace sightings soon, we need to use our depth to get us into November and December...

Our best D is ahead of us which is the fun part and scary for the rest of the league, if our offense continues to control the time of possession, run the ball and score in the red zone we can only improve.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

In Response to Re: PATRIOTS DEFENSE:
    [QUOTE]In Response to PATRIOTS DEFENSE : We're currently ranked 4th in points allowed which technically makes us the 4th best defense in the league, regardless of strength of schedule or anything else it is what it is... Leigh Bodden and Darius Butler are both leaning towards shutdown corner status, they're always around the ball making a play and our safeties Meriweather and McGowan are nasty, if Chung can continue to make strides and our other corners as well we will start making more plays on the ball. The linebackers have been fair but can improve a lot.  I think many of us were expecting the defensive backs to have a larger learning curve than any other position along the D but the linebackers have yet to gel or get to the point of comfort where they just play and not over think things.  I believe they will have an "a ha" moment soon and the pressure will come in bundles... The D line has been everything we hoped for and more considering the addition by subtraction with Seymour gone but Pryor stepping up huge.  Myron and Wright are getting a lot of reps because it's midway through the season, we're on cruise control in the trenches and we'd like Vince and Warren healthy for the stretch run.  I assume we'll see some Ron Brace sightings soon, we need to use our depth to get us into November and December... Our best D is ahead of us which is the fun part and scary for the rest of the league, if our offense continues to control the time of possession, run the ball and score in the red zone we can only improve.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

pretty good post, but it is way too early to consider bodden and butler shut down corners.

butler gave up a td last game against tampa.

I think butler will turn into a very good CB, but time will tell if he becomes a shutdown corner. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: PATRIOTS DEFENSE : pretty good post, but it is way too early to consider bodden and butler shut down corners. butler gave up a td last game against tampa. I think butler will turn into a very good CB, but time will tell if he becomes a shutdown corner. 
    Posted by patsfaninsatx[/QUOTE]

I said "leaning" toward shut down status and I meant that more in regards to Butler... he is taking the majority of game snaps after Bodden so we sometimes forget that he's a rookie.  Every corner gets beat now and again, many have more interceptions, but if any corner is playing better than Bodden right now I'd like to know who..?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to PATRIOTS DEFENSE : We're currently ranked 4th in points allowed which technically makes us the 4th best defense in the league, regardless of strength of schedule or anything else it is what it is... Leigh Bodden and Darius Butler are both leaning towards shutdown corner status, they're always around the ball making a play and our safeties Meriweather and McGowan are nasty, if Chung can continue to make strides and our other corners as well we will start making more plays on the ball. The linebackers have been fair but can improve a lot.  I think many of us were expecting the defensive backs to have a larger learning curve than any other position along the D but the linebackers have yet to gel or get to the point of comfort where they just play and not over think things.  I believe they will have an "a ha" moment soon and the pressure will come in bundles... The D line has been everything we hoped for and more considering the addition by subtraction with Seymour gone but Pryor stepping up huge.  Myron and Wright are getting a lot of reps because it's midway through the season, we're on cruise control in the trenches and we'd like Vince and Warren healthy for the stretch run.  I assume we'll see some Ron Brace sightings soon, we need to use our depth to get us into November and December... Our best D is ahead of us which is the fun part and scary for the rest of the league, if our offense continues to control the time of possession, run the ball and score in the red zone we can only improve.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

Great point about the Lb's they have been athletic and making tackles but I agree that they have not reached even close to there potential. With Mayo and Guyton being close to the fastest mlb tandem in the league I think they can become a rushing attacks worst nightmare. Mayo's injury both hurts and helps the development of the duo. Yes Guyton got the needed snaps and has clearly improved but Mayo appears to be a little rusty from the time off. When he is back in game shape physically and mentally( the bye should help with this) then Mayo, Seau and Guyton will be a dominant force in the middle of the field.

TBC and Burgess have stepped up with some pressure lately (TBC looks good) Mike Wright looks like he is the new Jarvis Green with I think 4 sacks already. BB seems to be shuffling things up at every defensive position and I really think this is the deepest we have been on defense across the board since 2003... maybe ever!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: PATRIOTS DEFENSE : Great point about the Lb's they have been athletic and making tackles but I agree that they have not reached even close to there potential. With Mayo and Guyton being close to the fastest mlb tandem in the league I think they can become a rushing attacks worst nightmare.

It may be that Bill brought Seau in just to show them how to run blitz which he mastered for over a decade in San Diego...  I'm sure Bruschi taught Mayo the finer points of the middle pass rush and now it's just a matter of time before they both are reacting at maximum speed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Good thread all around. It seems to me that Belichick's scheme is designed to prevent the big pass play and stop the run. The DBs tend to play a little soft, protecting the deep side of the field, while the front seven are geared a little more toward run defense than pass rush.  This tends to leave the short passing game available for opponents because the QB has time to find receivers open underneath the secondary.  I think BB calculates that an opposing team doesn't have a great chance of consistently moving the ball downfield with just short passes (there are bound to be some incompletions that stall drives).  Plus, once the offense is working on a short field, the DBs have the luxury of playing tighter because there's less field to defend. And as the season has progressed, our DBs are definitely playing more aggressively, especially in the red zone. It's a bit of "bend don't break" and it can be frustrating to watch all the completions of short passes when our DBs seem to be playing soft, but it seems to be working. Teams move the ball a bit, but they don't score that much.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowtherabbit-. Show cowtherabbit-'s posts

Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

NE is currently ranked 3rd in ppg/avg. GB (ranked 3rd in total pts allowed)has 2 less pts scored against them but played only 6 games due to a bye.They avg 16 pts a game, we avg 14.The Colts (2) and Denver (1) have also only played 6 games but rank #2 and #1 in both categories.Until all teams have had their bye,ppg avg is the most accurate defensive stat for ranking. Our defensive ranking in many catergories will go up by simply not playing next week but ppg/avg will not change.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

[QUOTE]Good thread all around. It seems to me that Belichick's scheme is designed to prevent the big pass play and stop the run. The DBs tend to play a little soft, protecting the deep side of the field, while the front seven are geared a little more toward run defense than pass rush.  This tends to leave the short passing game available for opponents because the QB has time to find receivers open underneath the secondary.  I think BB calculates that an opposing team doesn't have a great chance of consistently moving the ball downfield with just short passes (there are bound to be some incompletions that stall drives).  Plus, once the offense is working on a short field, the DBs have the luxury of playing tighter because there's less field to defend. And as the season has progressed, our DBs are definitely playing more aggressively, especially in the red zone. It's a bit of "bend don't break" and it can be frustrating to watch all the completions of short passes when our DBs seem to be playing soft, but it seems to be working. Teams move the ball a bit, but they don't score that much.
    Posted by soloflyfisher[/QUOTE]

I have to say you are absolutely right.

I think McDaniels knew that going into the game with Denver and what happened is his guys executed on offense and ours didnt.

It wasnt a shootout...it was a close game that went into OT.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: PATRIOTS DEFENSE : It is important how many yards they give up.  Its called time of posession.  Our strenth is our offense.  If we dont have the ball then we dont score. But you are correct, Points is what matters. Like I said, the Phins game will be a good measurement to see what we got followed up by the Colts.
    Posted by patsfaninsatx[/QUOTE]

TOP does not determine the score, if you are familiar with the bend but don't break philosophy then you would know that they stop them when they need to stop them in the red zone...otherwise they run the clock out for us.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Hmmm I'm gonna try to be clear and concise with this.  Last few years, I felt like the corners were getting abuses, played too far off and receivers could get 5 or 6 yds every time.  I felt we were getting little pass rush, or werent getting to the qb with it, and we werent producting turnovers like we used to.  I felt we were good till 3rd and long, then we would give up whatever yardage the other team needed for a first.  And we felt VERY vanilla, and slow.  Ok.  Dbacks are on guys better.  They are challenging receivers at the catch, not after.  Rush is better, some sack and hurrys going on.  Turnovers are up.  We still cant get off the field on 3rd down alot of times.  We are definetly quicker, and we are starting to see some schemes mixed in that are a bit different.  So all in all, I'm really happy about what I see.  It's not perfect, it sure isnt 2003, but MUCH MUCH MUCH better.  BB obviously saw the need to blow it up and start over, and he did.  Good job.  Even if we dont make the SB this year, its a positive step to getting there.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Sorry for the typo, I meant the corners were getting ABUSED

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

[QUOTE]Good thread all around. It seems to me that Belichick's scheme is designed to prevent the big pass play and stop the run. The DBs tend to play a little soft, protecting the deep side of the field, while the front seven are geared a little more toward run defense than pass rush.  This tends to leave the short passing game available for opponents because the QB has time to find receivers open underneath the secondary.  I think BB calculates that an opposing team doesn't have a great chance of consistently moving the ball downfield with just short passes (there are bound to be some incompletions that stall drives).  Plus, once the offense is working on a short field, the DBs have the luxury of playing tighter because there's less field to defend. And as the season has progressed, our DBs are definitely playing more aggressively, especially in the red zone. It's a bit of "bend don't break" and it can be frustrating to watch all the completions of short passes when our DBs seem to be playing soft, but it seems to be working. Teams move the ball a bit, but they don't score that much.

Bingo.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: PATRIOTS DEFENSE : TOP does not determine the score, if you are familiar with the bend but don't break philosophy then you would know that they stop them when they need to stop them in the red zone...otherwise they run the clock out for us.
    Posted by m1020us[/QUOTE]

Of course TOP doesnt determine the score.  Points determine the score.  Being that our offense is the main contributor to providing the teams points, if they are not on the field then it will be alot harder for them to produce the points.

A great example is the Colts vs Phins game earlier this year. 

Miami absolutely dominated the clock and the game. Something like 38min to 12min.  But Peyton and his offense were able make all the big plays to win that game.  You cannot count on those type of wins.

Im very familiar with the bend dont break philosiphy and its frustrating to watch.  But in our division we have the top 2 rushing offenses in the league.

Believe me I understand your argument, but all im saying is that I feel that we can improve on the rush defense. 

I'm only being critical because of what I have been seeing.  A few weeks ago I would have been more critical of the pressure on the qb, but that seems to be working itself out. 

Maybe im wrong.  Like I have said in previous posts.  Im just a fan, not a professional.  BB and his staff know alot more than you and I will ever know about this defense.  So we will just have to see how it pans out.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Yes, there are very few teams with the patience to keep throwing underneath the entire game. Our defense will give up short yardage between the 20's and buckle down in red zone and so far Mcdaniels has been the only coach to recognize that and stay committed to the short game for 60 plus minutes. I must say the Broncos reminded me of 01-04 Pats a little, in the aspect that Brady is a master of taking what the defense gives him, but at the same time I think we all know the 09 Pats with continued improvement of the defense and Brady will win that game 9 times out of 10.

As you said this has been BB's game plan for the past decade but now we have the cb personnel to play 1on1 with wrs(limiting the help over the top and freeing up Merriweather to roam) and I think we will see continued improvement across the board.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: PATRIOTS DEFENSE : NE is currently ranked 3rd in ppg/avg.
    Posted by cowtherabbit-[/QUOTE]

My bad... we're ranked third not fourth.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbakilla. Show bubbakilla's posts

Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]Dont forget that the offense is #1 in points as it was in 2007, which takes tons of pressure off the defense. Plus the offense is at the top in terms of time of possession which again takes pressure of the defense. It doesnt necessarily take away anything from the defense for they are BETTER than in 2007. These guys still havent peaked. So deep at every position with so much versatility and room to grow!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbakilla. Show bubbakilla's posts

[QUOTE]Sorry for the typo, I meant the corners were getting ABUSED
    Posted by Davedsone[/QUOTE]yeahh, i think i saw that movie last night!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 19andNo. Show 19andNo's posts

This defense isn't that good don't fool yourself.  Remember your last two games are teams that have already quit on their coach.  That alone will pad your stats.  Let's see what you have to say after you play a team that has at least 1 win this season. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wtfmaroney. Show wtfmaroney's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to PATRIOTS DEFENSE : I have been saying this all along.....while people keep questioning Pees, the D just keeps playing better and proving what I was thinking.  I knew Bodden was going to be good in this system, he had success in the same system in Cleveland, I hope we can re-sign him for next year.  McGowan has been good.....I am impressed with Guyton.
    Posted by m1020us[/QUOTE]
    did every1 4get about meriweather???? 2 picks  game 1 fer a td nd hes leading in tackles..... go #31!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

If he's leading in tackles he must be leading in missed tackles.  At this point Laurance Maroney and Ben Watson look like they could break one of his tackles.

Sections
Shortcuts