Patriots draft prediction

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Re: Patriots draft prediction

In Response to Re: Patriots draft prediction:
    In Response to Re: Patriots draft prediction : So if it makes sense to trade down in a strong draft, why did we trade down in a weak draft last year and miss out on the billion stud linebackers available and take Chung and Brace who both look like they might need another year or two to develop and will never be Pro Bowlers.
    Posted by murghkhor
    I know you think the yield was shallow from last years draft,but let me offer this to you as a question,if you thought you were going to get one All Pro player out of the draft last year would you have been Happy? If you answered yes then just look at Vollmer! Also realize that Butler is a solid CB and he will only get better. Brace was a mild disappointment,but Chung was a solid contributor on Special Teams and he will improve to the point where he eventually will be a starting Safety. There are others who haven't been given an opportunity to play regularily yet,Bussey,Tate and Ohrenberger have yet to strut their stuff... I would rate last years crop of rookies as a whole as a very good draft grading out at a B+..

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

i wouldnt be surprized if they do drop back some...but they could also move up if there is someone THEY want...

but...dropping back from 22 to 24 and getting a third....dont see any problem with that at all

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

Stay at 22 and take a pass rusher.  This is a no brainer if ever there was one.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GunghoGuy. Show GunghoGuy's posts

"In Bill we trust".....nobody yet has come close to who Bill, etc will draft; however, I pray he does draft a gifted kickoff/punt returner and a big burly running back!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

murgh, u were not over my head at all.  This post was just a waste of all of our time, that is all.  If I want comedy, I will hit the comedy club.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots draft prediction : So if it makes sense to trade down in a strong draft, why did we trade down in a weak draft last year and miss out on the billion stud linebackers available and take Chung and Brace who both look like they might need another year or two to develop and will never be Pro Bowlers.
    Posted by murghkhor

You know I have no clue. I was just telling pumpkin the general consenses with drafts from what I heard other exc's say. For the Pats I have a feeling that they have their own value chart and target certain players. They also didn't just trade down last year with that 1st the trade turned into a second this year too so in a way they still got the player they targetted and traded back into a draft of strength. In the end the trade looked like it maximized their value at the moment. As far as the LB's they skipped, I was screaming at the tv like everyone else who wanted to draft atleast 1 of the 3 LB's last year. But, we won't know what we got with the picks until we see what we get this year with that traded pick. Who knows we could end up with Chung and a stud WR or DE/OLB with the pick which would end up better then just 1 of the LB's they passed on.

Brace I agree, looks like a bust but Chung showed some good promise. Safety's take some time to develope, see Merriweather. Wait until we see what the second part of the trade gets us for a player this year before saying it was a complete failure.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots draft prediction : So you frown upon any sort of criticism of our front office and BB's draft strategy even though it is well documented that we had a very barren stretch from 2006-2008. Yeah we got lucky last year by hitting gems like Vollmer, Edelman and Pyror who should all have been drafted higher but I am somewhat skeptical of our ability to trade down and again outmanoveur and outpick the field in the late round crapshoot when we have clearly demonstrated our inability to do so during 06-08. Not to mention all the extra picks we got from trading down we promptly wasted. 5th for Alex Smith. 5th for Greg Lewis. Michael Matthews for a 2011 pick? 3rd and 5th for Burgess (he's still not signed). How many lower picks are we going to waste before we realize we're not finding more Vrabels anymore. Others have caught on. All this "BB has track record" stuff fails to point out that NFL is a copy-cat league. Everything from our 3-4 defense, our team-first outlook, our no-drama priority, our cap-management, our keenness for certain types of players has been copied. Which means we compete a lot more for the type of talent we want than we used to. The arbitrage has been covered by the market. If we think we're going to keep trading down, generate more picks and use them to out-pick everyone, and get key players in trade on the cheap............ well it's much much harder to do now and we've failed a lot more trying to do that in recent years than we used to. It's not that Scott Pioli was a god personnel evaluator or BB has lost his touch or something. The market has adjusted to the trade and now the advantage is much smaller. As more teams convert to the 3-4 and adopt the other Patriots mentality, we will find it harder and harder. Sean Payton gushed non stop about how all he did was copy the Patriots Way. He said it repeatedly all the way past his Superbowl title. Others are doing the same. We're not going to outsmart everyone anymore. Thinking that is hubris and I'm afraid that arrogance will lead to a poor draft strategy.
    Posted by murghkhor
    BB already signed his miracle Free Agent this off season: Marquez Murrell LB.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

This year it is a strong draft, so you can still get good players in later rounds, might as well trade down and get more good players. Posted by murghkhor

We don't need just good players, we need quaility playmakers on both sides of the ball. BB trades down when he doesn't find the guys he wants in our picks. He's also traded up, if you remember. I believe we got mayo by trading up a few slots. Personally, I'm happy he's so picky.  
    Time will tell. Just because they've traded down occasionally in the past doesn't mean they're bound to do it again this year. That's what makes the draft so interesting!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots draft prediction : We don't need just good players, we need quaility playmakers on both sides of the ball. BB trades down when he doesn't find the guys he wants in our picks. He's also traded up, if you remember. I believe we got mayo by trading up a few slots. Personally, I'm happy he's so picky.   Time will tell. Just because they've traded down occasionally in the past doesn't mean they're bound to do it again this year. That's what makes the draft so interesting!
    Posted by unclealfie

Actually we got Mayo by trading down

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

murgh, I dont mind criticism of the BB front office.  But expect constructive criticism.  Include realistic solutions, not just whining or things that are totally unrealistic.  Make a good point and I will gladly support you.  I do agree our drafts from 2006-2008 were horrible and that is why we are closer in talent to the Jets and other teams than we used to be.  Now on the topic of the Pats trading down for value, that is a smart choice.  Last years draft is a great example.  Many people here wanted Butler with our 1st rd pick.  We traded down, got him anyway and more.  We increased our value.  People whine about trading down, but we could have picked Butler in the 1st.  Would that have been better? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots draft prediction : Actually we got Mayo by trading down
    Posted by PatsEng

Yes, trading a #7 for a #10 is technically trading down. But we also got a 3rd rounder in that deal. So what does that make it? We got our man anyhow plus a 3rd rounder. I'd say we got the better of that bargain.

Was trading our #52 second rounder for a #36 second rounder (chad jackson) trading up? Technically, yes. But what about when you add the third rounder we had to throw in to make that trade happen?  Is it still trading up? I don't think so.
    Its oversimplifiying to characterize a trade as a "trade up" or "trade down" when there are multiple players involved.

In any case,  the point I was making is that we really don't trade down (as in our #58 this year for your #99 and #98 next year) that often, as so many on this board seem to think.