Patriots draft question for the forum.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Patriots draft question for the forum.....

Hey folks, I know the answer is on here somewhere amongst the Pats gurus. I know the Patriots get the obligatory #31 pick because of the Super Bowl, but at what number does the second #1 pick fall? And, where at in the second round do their picks fall? I eagerly await an answer.....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Patriots draft question for the forum.....

Can't vouch for the accuracy of this, but here's what I found via Google:

1st Round (Pick 27) (via New Orleans)
    1st Round (Pick 31)
    2nd Round (Pick 48) (via Oakland)
    2nd Round (Pick 63)
    3rd Round (Pick 94)
    4th Round (TBD)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Thanks prolate. Not as high as I hoped. I was hoping for something in the teens or so, maybe higher. Hope we can dredge something good out of those low first rounders.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Well I think we were all expecting a pick in the high twenties when BB made the trade with NO last year...

Bright side is we once again have two first and two second round picks. With a rookie salary cap in place, we might try to move up. Can't wait for this draft!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots draft question for the forum.....:
    Thanks prolate. Not as high as I hoped. I was hoping for something in the teens or so, maybe higher. Hope we can dredge something good out of those low first rounders.
    Posted by TheExaminer

Looks like we traded a way a lot of our lower round picks too, so we don't have as many picks as I thought we'd have. I think we need quality over quantity this year.  I wouldn't mind it if we came out of the draft with just two or three players, as long as they were top-quality guys. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Agreed, but BB's track record in the draft lately leaves a little to be desired. Time to break the draft curse and get something we can use.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Dont forget that Solder, Cannon, Ridley, Vereen, Dowling, Mallett, Malcolm Williams and Markell Carter from last years draft will have a full offseason program this year, where they only had the 5 weeks of training camp last year. And I'm guessing the secondary they patched together this past season will be MUCH improved with the offseason and training camp to work together, with whoever they can add through free agency and the draft.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots draft question for the forum..... : Looks like we traded a way a lot of our lower round picks too, so we don't have as many picks as I thought we'd have. I think we need quality over quantity this year.  I wouldn't mind it if we came out of the draft with just two or three players, as long as they were top-quality guys. 
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

Do you know if we lost anybody worth comp picks?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-dogg81. Show p-dogg81's posts

Agreed, but BB's track record in the draft lately leaves a little to be desired. Time to break the draft curse and get something we can use.
    Posted by TheExaminer

1st Round (27th Overall) – Devin McCourty, CB, Rutgers
    2nd Round (42nd Overall) – Rob Gronkowski, TE, Arizona
    2nd Round (53rd Overall) – Jermaine Cunningham, OLB, Florida
    2nd Round (62nd Overall) – Brandon Spikes, LB, Florida
    4th Round (113th Overall) – Aaron Hernandez, TE, Florida
    5th Round (150th Overall) – Zoltan Mesko, P, Michigan
    7th Round (247th Overall) – Brandon Deaderick, DL, Alabama

We Can't Use any of that?
    IN BILL I TRUST

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Magiccul71. Show Magiccul71's posts

They need to address the #1 WR position, through the draft or trade. They need to address the pass rush and pass defense. They need to use their top 4 picks this year and build depth.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-dogg81. Show p-dogg81's posts

They need to address the #1 WR position, through the draft or trade. They need to address the pass rush and pass defense. They need to use their top 4 picks this year and build depth.
    Posted by Magiccul71

The Pass defense defenitley is priority number 1 but the pass rush was one of the bright spots on the defese this year and dont forget that andre carter, their best pass rusher and possibly best defensive player, didnt play in the playoffs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots draft question for the forum..... : The Pass defense defenitley is priority number 1 but the pass rush was one of the bright spots on the defese this year and dont forget that andre carter, their best pass rusher and possibly best defensive player, didnt play in the playoffs.
    Posted by p-dogg81

The pass rush was inconsistent at best from series to series. Some series they would get pressure and get 2 or 3 sacks in the series. Then it would disappear for a whole half at a time and the QB would have 5+secs at a time to throw. The pass rush is no good if it only shows up 2 of the 10 series a game. Consistency is the name of the game and 1 player doesn't provide that consistency. We need an additional interior rusher to collapse the pocket and take some of the dbl teams off Wilfork and we need an edge rusher to bookend Anderson/Carter and take some pressure off of them. Carter is also no guaranty to be back. In his age having 2 knee issues in both knees is not a good sign. I don't think you can/should count on him to last a full season if resigned

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Patriots draft question for the forum.....":
    In Response to Re: Patriots draft question for the forum..... : 1st Round (27th Overall) –   Devin McCourty , CB, Rutgers 2nd Round (42nd Overall) –   Rob Gronkowski , TE, Arizona 2nd Round (53rd Overall) –   Jermaine Cunningham , OLB, Florida 2nd Round (62nd Overall) –   Brandon Spikes , LB, Florida 4th Round (113th Overall) –   Aaron Hernandez , TE, Florida 5th Round (150th Overall) –   Zoltan Mesko , P, Michigan 7th Round (247th Overall) –   Brandon Deaderick, DL, Alabama We Can't Use any of that? IN BILL I TRUST Posted by p-dogg81
    Yeah, can't argue with a lot of those. I guess maybe it's easy to focus on the misses after coming up short so many years in the PS.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Priority #1, Defensive tackle; Gerrard Warren isn't getting any younger, sacks start inside.

Priority #2 defensive backfield; safety or corner again.

Belichick will end up taking the best player available at that spot regardless of position, that's what bothers people in every draft.  Anyone saying Belichick is no good at the draft or as a GM need to consider the alternative... you could be a Bengal's fan, get some perspective and quit running yer yap.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Love it wozzy. There's a reason the Patriots are one of the best teams every year. It won't last forever so I'm enjoying it while it lasts.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots draft question for the forum..... : Do you know if we lost anybody worth comp picks?
    Posted by pezz4pats

Not sure. The compensatory picks go to the teams that were (theoretically) hurt the most in free agency.  I'm not sure the Pats lost more (or more valuable) free agents than they gained.  I don't think guys they cut (like Merriweather) count. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quahogger. Show Quahogger's posts

Magiccul71,

I agree with your assessment of needs and, like you, I don't care whether they get them through free agency, trades or the draft:

1.) A number one wide receiver who can stretch the field and also actually be able to catch the ball. Sorry but Slater and Underwood may be fast but they aren't reliable pass catchers. They tried to get Tom a reliable new toy with Ocho but that didn't work out well. He can't spread the defense vertically and that allows safeties to play tight and be more effective over the middle.

2.) Regarding the pass rush, Bellichick said he switched to the 4-3 this year because it was easier to teach. That allowed him to sign free agents who normally wouldn't have been a "fit" with our scheme like Anderson and Carter. Shaun Ellis was ineffective and what happened to Jermaine Cunningham? Yes, an effecive pass rush is a basic building block for effective pass defense
    3.) The secondary benefits heavily from an effective pass rush and I think that between McCourty, Ras-I Dowling and Arrington there's already going to be some good competition at CB. When Ihedigbo is our starting safety and Edelman is a part time CB, obviously we need help in the defensive backfield. The draft looks pretty weak at safety. I'm hoping BB can find an effective combination back there.

Posted by Magiccul71

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quahogger. Show Quahogger's posts

p-dogg81,

Good post.  With the exception of Cunningham those picks have all been serious contributors to the team's present. Will Cunningham be a serious pass rushing threat at some point?  I'm hopeful but not sure if it will happen. With four picks in the first and second rounds, will Bellichick use them all? I hope so because this year's team had a lot of heart but could have used a little more talent.

Watching the Super Bowl I couldn't help but notice that the defense was/is so close, but a serious ball-hawking defensive attitude was a heartbeat away. One more playmaker would make a huge difference.

core players toIn Response to Re: Patriots draft question for the forum.....:
    In Response to Re: Patriots draft question for the forum..... : 1st Round (27th Overall) –   Devin McCourty , CB, Rutgers 2nd Round (42nd Overall) –   Rob Gronkowski , TE, Arizona 2nd Round (53rd Overall) –   Jermaine Cunningham , OLB, Florida 2nd Round (62nd Overall) –   Brandon Spikes , LB, Florida 4th Round (113th Overall) –   Aaron Hernandez , TE, Florida 5th Round (150th Overall) –   Zoltan Mesko , P, Michigan 7th Round (247th Overall) –   Brandon Deaderick, DL, Alabama We Can't Use any of that? IN BILL I TRUST
    Posted by p-dogg81

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

We need OLB/DE WR and a good Safety......which means BB will probably draft a nose tackle, a tight end and a quarterback.

In All seriousness I'm always left scratching my head come draft day but it seems to work out more often than not.  THe pats didn't draft a DE last year but they did sign some FA and make some trades, granted Haynsworth didn't work out but I think Carter and Anderson were great pick ups.

Still, I will be hoping for a pass rusher.  Despite what the stats say I think this defense has talent, and the one thing that can make it automatically MUCH better is a playmaker in the pass rush.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Norger. Show Norger's posts

Posted by Magiccul71

Amen. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Norger. Show Norger's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots draft question for the forum..... : The Pass defense defenitley is priority number 1 but the pass rush was one of the bright spots on the defese this year and dont forget that andre carter, their best pass rusher and possibly best defensive player, didnt play in the playoffs.
    Posted by p-dogg81

Andre Carter was huge, but I wouldn't say pass rush was exactly a bright spot, especially after he went down.  This has been a glaring need for several years.  I give them props for trying to address this through FA, with decent success.  Still, I'd like to see them get at least one good pass rusher through the draft.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

Posted by TheExaminer

I hear you.  If the socalled genius wastes draft picks on people like Gronkowski, Hernandez, and Spikes again, I am going to quit following this team.

Sections
Shortcuts