Patriots Draft REPORT CARD

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD

Here's a great article by Jim Donaldson of the Providence Journal, that tells it like it is, about the draft: http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/Patriots_NFL_Draft_Belichick_05-01-11_QINRLN1_v2.14f3b16.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD:
    In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD :
    Posted by TexasPat3

TP, my only point about the Super Bowl loss, and yes, it still galls me that they gave up an 83-yard drive to the lesser Manning to lose that game, is this: the defense was IN POSITION to make plays that would have ended that drive and won the game, on two occasions. They just didn't execute the plays. And in the case of the helmet catch play, two Giants' O-Linemen were caught by Sports Illustrated's cameras clearly tugging on Seymour's and Green's jerseys, preventing them from finishing off the sack of Eli--you can't do anything about that. If the holding call is made, it's 3rd and 16, the Giants are pushed back to their own 35, and there is less than a minute to go in the game. In other words: Game Over.

It had nothing to do with talent. And I should add that Colvin was out for the season after Week 11 and that dramatically affected their pass rush over the balance of that season. If he's suited up and playing that day in Arizona, they finish 19-0, I firmly believe that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD : TP, my only point about the Super Bowl loss, and yes, it still galls me that they gave up an 83-yard drive to the lesser Manning to lose that game, is this: the defense was IN POSITION to make plays that would have ended that drive and won the game, on two occasions. They just didn't execute the plays. And in the case of the helmet catch play, two Giants' O-Linemen were caught by Sports Illustrated's cameras clearly tugging on Seymour's and Green's jerseys, preventing them from finishing off the sack of Eli--you can't do anything about that. If the holding call is made, it's 3rd and 16, the Giants are pushed back to their own 35, and there is less than a minute to go in the game. In other words: Game Over. It had nothing to do with talent. And I should add that Colvin was out for the season after Week 11 and that dramatically affected their pass rush over the balance of that season. If he's suited up and playing that day in Arizona, they finish 19-0, I firmly believe that.
    Posted by hardright

Agreed. The Pats got no favors from the refs on that final drive.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

New York Post sportswriter grades the draft...gives the Patriots an "A": http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/serby_scores_the_teams_and_their_v5MoxT9Obc52vehItRGmdI

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Here's more on Mallett...and his selection by the Patriots: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-cole_pats_curious_selection_of_mallett_042911

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

While Patriots fans are complaining about BB's failure to land a pass-rusher, Dolphins fans are whining about their team's failure to land a QB...specifically, Ryan Mallett: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/
    Posted by TexasPat3

NE should offer Mallett for Koa Misi, straight up, lol. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

Dowling was drafted just about where he should have been and to compare him to Wheatley is a stretch at best.Dowling has excellent size(6'1"right around 200 lbs,sub 4.5 speed,in fact 4.40 one dash and no worse the 4.46 even with a tweaked hamstring,is extremely fluid in changing direction,has very good ball skills and has competed effectively against the bigger WR's he faced,plus he is a bright young man who loves the game and works at it).Had he not been plagued by what I wiould call nothing more than nagging injuries his final year,he could well have gone late first.For the past few years,in fact since Ty Law left,many fans have complained bitterly about the Pats"undersized DB's"are now complaining about drafting the big and fast DB that they wanted. As for no OLB help(at least at this point in time,name more than three or four DE conversions that have worked out well in their first or even second year over the past two years not just Matthews,against the number that go from bust to ordinary.If B.B.could have pulled off a deal that brought them Watt(who I thought was a great fit) or Aldon Smith(and more than a few questioned his desire)I think it would have been done but it couldn't be for even a slight over payment.Quinn simply was not a consideration because the Pats medical staff felt the problem in his brain was a very real problem and so he wasn't even a consideration(right or wrong that was their opinion).They grabbed two big,tough,strong RB's who can catch the ball and pass protect.They also grabbed a first round physical talent at QB and could well have been the third QB taken in the third round(B.B. obviously didn't have the problem with his off-field problems that many did after speaking to the young man,and I am assuming at considerable length,that others had).The N.E. medical staff felt confident enough in Cannon's prognosis(and his form of cancer is usually treated effectively with excellent results,thank God we know this through personal experience in our own family,and was a second,and,at worst,an early third round pick in the fifth round,at a position of need,OG,plus he gives them some flexibility as he can play ROT.Also in the fifth,they picked up the best blocking TE in the draft and he is an effective,sure handed receiver in the short air game as well.would I have them to end up with Watt or Smith or MIller(though his sie was a concern) absolutely,but it didn't happen,but what they did do was pretty darn good.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Dowling was drafted just about where he should have been and to compare him to Wheatley is a stretch at best.Dowling has excellent size(6'1"right around 200 lbs,sub 4.5 speed,in fact 4.40 one dash and no worse the 4.46 even with a tweaked hamstring,is extremely fluid in changing direction,has very good ball skills and has competed effectively against the bigger WR's he faced,plus he is a bright young man who loves the game and works at it).Had he not been plagued by what I wiould call nothing more than nagging injuries his final year,he could well have gone late first.For the past few years,in fact since Ty Law left,many fans have complained bitterly about the Pats"undersized DB's"are now complaining about drafting the big and fast DB that they wanted. As for no OLB help(at least at this point in time,name more than three or four DE conversions that have worked out well in their first or even second year over the past two years not just Matthews,against the number that go from bust to ordinary.If B.B.could have pulled off a deal that brought them Watt(who I thought was a great fit) or Aldon Smith(and more than a few questioned his desire)I think it would have been done but it couldn't be for even a slight over payment.Quinn simply was not a consideration because the Pats medical staff felt the problem in his brain was a very real problem and so he wasn't even a consideration(right or wrong that was their opinion).They grabbed two big,tough,strong RB's who can catch the ball and pass protect.They also grabbed a first round physical talent at QB and could well have been the third QB taken in the third round(B.B. obviously didn't have the problem with his off-field problems that many did after speaking to the young man,and I am assuming at considerable length,that others had).The N.E. medical staff felt confident enough in Cannon's prognosis(and his form of cancer is usually treated effectively with excellent results,thank God we know this through personal experience in our own family,and was a second,and,at worst,an early third round pick in the fifth round,at a position of need,OG,plus he gives them some flexibility as he can play ROT.Also in the fifth,they picked up the best blocking TE in the draft and he is an effective,sure handed receiver in the short air game as well.would I have them to end up with Watt or Smith or MIller(though his sie was a concern) absolutely,but it didn't happen,but what they did do was pretty darn good.
    Posted by kebbe

Let's just hope that all the guys that the Patriots drafted can play...and that all the guys drafted by the other teams, especially the Colts, Raiders, Saints, and the Jets...can't...LOL!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD (Rounds 1-3)

In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD (Rounds 1-3):
    In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD (Rounds 1-3) : Come on  . . . Patrick Pass wasn't that good!   ; />)
    Posted by tenace4life

But JR Redmond was HUGE (at least for a minute...)!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUFbjCD2taw

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

My draft ratings:

Trades out and down:  just counting the total numbers of first rounders, second rounders, and so on, I notice that an extra second rounder and an extra fifth rounder seem to have appeared out of nowhere.  In addition, pick #28 this year will probably appear next year as (my best guess) New Orleans pick #20, so a gain was made there also.  A-, with the minus because BB collected too many fifth and sixth rounders which are rough for the Patriots to effectively use.  It's likely that a fifth rounder will be bumped out the door in late August and a rival will then grab him.

Nate Solder:  Value for the first round:  A.  This guy had the most knockdowns (142) of any college lineman last year.  He was tops in the 3-cone drill at the combine, so he’s the quickest and maybe the strongest tackle at the same time.  He’s the tallest tackle also, which means that he can easily add bulk.  Finally he’s the smartest tackle available, going by his GPA and his major.  Need: A.  All this in a position of serious need, because Matt Light never was coming back, Steve Neal is gone and Logan Mankins wishes he was elsewhere.  Now that’s a big hole!

I expect Solder to completely seal off his corner starting in September, with occasional pull blocks and occasional knockdowns of some poor defender.  He’s a load when he accelerates hits, and so the Patriots’ opponents won’t look that good in the fourth quarter.  Offensive rookie of the year is a possibility.

Ras-I Dowling:  C+.  The Rastafarian name may have scared everyone else off?  Dowling has good explosion but I hate his arm length.  He’ll have to get by with popping other players in the gut, which he can do because he’s big, and he’ll have to use his notable height and weight advantage to compensate for his crummy arms.  I trust that everything else was good about the guy, because BB turned down some nice trades for him.

Need:  B.  McCourty is one good cornerback but the rest of the defensive backfield was penciled in.  The Pats need four guys in the backfield including two cornerbacks, three in the nickel.  Ras-I is bulky enough to play strong safety if that’s where the hole exists.  He also handles the big and strong variety of NFL receiver.

Shane Vereen:  C+.  Average back with serious fumblitis.  Otherwise, talented.  I’ve learned to not pick against the Patriots’ scouting staff, but this guy has serious drawbacks from what I can see.  Need:  A.  The Patriots only have Benny and Woody.  They need a stable of 5 healthy backs, not 1 3/4 backs.  Fred Taylor might easily retire, Dancing Maroney is out on tour, Kevin Faulk might retire and Slammin’ Sammy might easily retire.  Woody is kind of microscopic and realistically might not last a full season in the NFL.  Puh-leeze let rookie Nate Solder carry Woody’s pads and helmet around.

Stevan Ridley:  B-.  At least he can hit the hole hard on third and 1.  He can’t go around the corner, he’s too slow, so hitting the hole is his only trick.  At least these two RBs are change of pace backs from either Benny or Woodie.  Need:  A.

Ryan Mallett:  Value: A.  Our favorite pothead Mr. Hernandez, a first round talent with fourth round drug issues, cleaned up his act, probably because Jonathan Kraft made a million dollar bet that Hernandez couldn’t stay sober.  Hernandez said nyuk nyuk nyuk if you’re giving out an extra million for nothing I’ll take that bet, and so far he’s cleaning up on the bet and so are the Patriots.  Mallett is every bit a first round talent in a third rounder’s druggie spot, so, Jonathan Kraft will make another bet and Mallett will keep himself dry in public or else.  It’s certainly worth the gamble.  Need:  B–.  Tom Terrific will be a 34 year old football player, it’s not just his sons calling him Daddy-o, and people his age don’t heal as quickly as 22 year olds.  Anyone with 1 interception in 500 pass attempts obviously starts, but he now has a rebuilt foot and a rebuilt knee.  The real question is, will Tom play all 16 games?  If not, who will?

Marcus Cannon.  Value A+.  I pegged this guy as my Patriots 4th round draft pick in March – Woo Hoo!  350 pounds and somehow he runs in the 5.2 range.  Cannon has a 20% chance of being a cancer victim (and the usual 20% chance of being a no good bum, but that goes without saying).  By all means, in the fifth round take that chance.  Cannon gets out of chemo in June.  In August he should easily make the all-important rookie PUP squad and maybe he’ll stay on injured reserve for all of 2011, unless BB runs low on healthy guards in which case Cannon is available and activated.  BB has no intention of playing a late round rookie lineman unless he has to, and with the cancer excuse all set, BB doesn’t even have to break the nice guy’s leg to get him out of the way for a year.  Think of Brandon Tate who came with his knee pre-broken and who later blossomed.  When your team is crowded to the gills with talent, this kind of player is a dream.  The guy is reportedly a second-round or a third-round pick with medical issues.  Need for a guard:  A.

Lee Smith:  Value B+.  Getting a young Alge Crumpler type this late in the draft is good.  Need B.  The real Crumpler is still pretty good but long in the tooth.  Blocking tight ends (who can catch a bit too) are undervalued in the NFL. 

Markell Carter:  Value A, for a sixth rounder.  All the physical tools.  Explosion and long arms.  He can turn the corner.  He can keep offensive linemen off his body while he tries a second move to the quarterback.  He has the swivel hips to cover.  His negatives are all about experience.  Small school.  He still needs to learn to play LB and he needs time in the weight room.  Need C–!  Everyone on this board bellyaches about the Patriots having no pass rush, but in reality this defense created 25 interceptions in 2010.  Brady and the offense got plenty of short fields, and much of that was pressure on the opponent’s quarterback.  Cunningham as a rookie really helped the team with lots of hurries and knockdowns, although he didn’t get much public credit.  Carter will back up TBC if he makes the team.

CB Malcolm Williams:  Value A.  As near as I can see, he was signed out of high school by Oklahoma.  Then something nobody talks about happened.  Then he surfaced in Trinity Valley College and he did fine, big fish, small pond.  Then he transferred to TCU and was playing behind people.  Then he shifted from safety to cornerback at TCU.  Then he got in a few plays.  He could have been another Matt Cassel, stiffed in college but a good guy.  His highlight film shows explosion as a returner, or else everybody else was in slow motion.  Don’t confuse this Malcolm Williams with the Texas Longhorns WR Malcolm Williams.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

i'm in line with all your grades, except ryan "leaf" mallet. two problems with him: no QB as big and as slow as him has ever been successfull in the NFL (as per gil brandt and that guy goes back a long way), and secondly he will be released for behavior problems long before he creates any value for us. we alredy know his off the field behavior is bad. but as a 3rd string qb who will not be on the game day roster for the next two years it just gives him that much more time to get bored and get into trouble.
    Posted by artielang

I am curious.  The Patriots have a large professional staff that evaluates players to the nth degree and probably learns more about them than their own parents know.  And yet you know more about Mallett than the Patriots do.  Where did you acquire all this knowledge?   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

My draft ratings: Trades out and down:   just counting the total numbers of first rounders, second rounders, and so on, I notice that an extra second rounder and an extra fifth rounder seem to have appeared out of nowhere.   In addition, pick #28 this year will probably appear next year as (my best guess) New Orleans pick #20, so a gain was made there also.  A-, with the minus because BB collected too many fifth and sixth rounders which are rough for the Patriots to effectively use.  It's likely that a fifth rounder will be bumped out the door in late August and a rival will then grab him. Nate Solder:   Value for the first round:   A.   This guy had the most knockdowns (142) of any college lineman last year.   He was tops in the 3-cone drill at the combine, so he’s the quickest and maybe the strongest tackle at the same time.   He’s the tallest tackle also, which means that he can easily add bulk.   Finally he’s the smartest tackle available, going by his GPA and his major.   Need: A.   All this in a position of serious need, because Matt Light never was coming back, Steve Neal is gone and Logan Mankins wishes he was elsewhere.   Now that’s a big hole! I expect Solder to completely seal off his corner starting in September, with occasional pull blocks and occasional knockdowns of some poor defender.   He’s a load when he accelerates hits, and so the Patriots’ opponents won’t look that good in the fourth quarter.   Offensive rookie of the year is a possibility. Ras-I Dowling:   C+.   The Rastafarian name may have scared everyone else off?   Dowling has good explosion but I hate his arm length.   He’ll have to get by with popping other players in the gut, which he can do because he’s big, and he’ll have to use his notable height and weight advantage to compensate for his crummy arms.   I trust that everything else was good about the guy, because BB turned down some nice trades for him. Need:   B.   McCourty is one good cornerback but the rest of the defensive backfield was penciled in.   The Pats need four guys in the backfield including two cornerbacks, three in the nickel.   Ras-I is bulky enough to play strong safety if that’s where the hole exists.   He also handles the big and strong variety of NFL receiver. Shane Vereen:   C+.   Average back with serious fumblitis.   Otherwise, talented.   I’ve learned to not pick against the Patriots’ scouting staff, but this guy has serious drawbacks from what I can see.   Need:   A.   The Patriots only have Benny and Woody.   They need a stable of 5 healthy backs, not 1 3/4 backs.   Fred Taylor might easily retire, Dancing Maroney is out on tour, Kevin Faulk might retire and Slammin’ Sammy might easily retire.   Woody is kind of microscopic and realistically might not last a full season in the NFL.   Puh-leeze let rookie Nate Solder carry Woody’s pads and helmet around. Stevan Ridley:   B-.   At least he can hit the hole hard on third and 1.   He can’t go around the corner, he’s too slow, so hitting the hole is his only trick.   At least these two RBs are change of pace backs from either Benny or Woodie.   Need:   A. Ryan Mallett:   Value: A.   Our favorite pothead Mr. Hernandez, a first round talent with fourth round drug issues, cleaned up his act, probably because Jonathan Kraft made a million dollar bet that Hernandez couldn’t stay sober.   Hernandez said nyuk nyuk nyuk if you’re giving out an extra million for nothing I’ll take that bet, and so far he’s cleaning up on the bet and so are the Patriots.   Mallett is every bit a first round talent in a third rounder’s druggie spot, so, Jonathan Kraft will make another bet and Mallett will keep himself dry in public or else.   It’s certainly worth the gamble.   Need:   B–.   Tom Terrific will be a 34 year old football player, it’s not just his sons calling him Daddy-o, and people his age don’t heal as quickly as 22 year olds.   Anyone with 1 interception in 500 pass attempts obviously starts, but he now has a rebuilt foot and a rebuilt knee.   The real question is, will Tom play all 16 games?   If not, who will? Marcus Cannon.   Value A+.   I pegged this guy as my Patriots 4th round draft pick in March – Woo Hoo!   350 pounds and somehow he runs in the 5.2 range.   Cannon has a 20% chance of being a cancer victim (and the usual 20% chance of being a no good bum, but that goes without saying).   By all means, in the fifth round take that chance.   Cannon gets out of chemo in June.   In August he should easily make the all-important rookie PUP squad and maybe he’ll stay on injured reserve for all of 2011, unless BB runs low on healthy guards in which case Cannon is available and activated.   BB has no intention of playing a late round rookie lineman unless he has to, and with the cancer excuse all set, BB doesn’t even have to break the nice guy’s leg to get him out of the way for a year.   Think of Brandon Tate who came with his knee pre-broken and who later blossomed.   When your team is crowded to the gills with talent, this kind of player is a dream.   The guy is reportedly a second-round or a third-round pick with medical issues.   Need for a guard:   A. Lee Smith:   Value B+.   Getting a young Alge Crumpler type this late in the draft is good.   Need B.   The real Crumpler is still pretty good but long in the tooth.   Blocking tight ends (who can catch a bit too) are undervalued in the NFL.   Markell Carter:   Value A, for a sixth rounder.   All the physical tools.   Explosion and long arms.   He can turn the corner.   He can keep offensive linemen off his body while he tries a second move to the quarterback.   He has the swivel hips to cover.   His negatives are all about experience.   Small school.   He still needs to learn to play LB and he needs time in the weight room.   Need C–!   Everyone on this board bellyaches about the Patriots having no pass rush, but in reality this defense created 25 interceptions in 2010.   Brady and the offense got plenty of short fields, and much of that was pressure on the opponent’s quarterback.   Cunningham as a rookie really helped the team with lots of hurries and knockdowns, although he didn’t get much public credit.   Carter will back up TBC if he makes the team. CB Malcolm Williams:   Value A.   As near as I can see, he was signed out of high school by Oklahoma.   Then something nobody talks about happened.   Then he surfaced in Trinity Valley College and he did fine, big fish, small pond.   Then he transferred to TCU and was playing behind people.   Then he shifted from safety to cornerback at TCU.   Then he got in a few plays.   He could have been another Matt Cassel, stiffed in college but a good guy.   His highlight film shows explosion as a returner, or else everybody else was in slow motion.   Don’t confuse this Malcolm Williams with the Texas Longhorns WR Malcolm Williams.
    Posted by Paul_K

Wow! You're quite the optimist, Paul! I hope you're right!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Here's an interesting take on the Saints' draft. While most pundits are proclaiming them as the SB 46 champs, there's this:

"G.M. Mickey Loomis' draft has been praised in most circles. It won't get that treatment here. The Saints need pass rush up front. Cameron Jordan was a fine value, but that's not an area in which he excels. He's a run-stopping end. Trading up for Mark Ingram cost Loomis his 56th pick this year and next year's first-rounder. That's a ton to surrender for any running back, let alone a small one with 4.62 speed. Martez Wilson is a workout freak, but he doesn't play to his athleticism. Johnny Patrick might be a playmaking nickel back. Greg Romeus was worth a shot."

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

We didn't get a bigtime pass rusher despite having 6 picks in the first 3 rounds.

We drafted 2 RBs, even though we had 2 quite good ones last year.

We drafted a QB even though we have the greatest to ever play the game.

We drafted for the OL with 17 when we could have gotten a good one at 28.

Grade = a big fat F = no SB for the rest of the Brady years.

Three more years of this BS and you will all FINALLY be screaming for BB's head.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

We didn't get a bigtime pass rusher despite having 6 picks in the first 3 rounds.

RESPONSE: Kentucky Babe...could it be that there wasn't a pass rusher worthy of the 17th pick left? Even the pass-rushing guys who went higher had question marks. Robert Quinn appears to be a 4-3 DE, rather than a 3-4 OLB. DE/OLB Aldon Smith has a bundle of potential...but as a 4-3 DE, or as a 3-4 OLB. Ryan Kerrigan, who went #16 to Washington, may have been the best of these three. With Matt Light a 33 year old, UFA, the Pats had to land a LT. That was a greater need than landing 3-4 DE Cameron Jordan. Jordan's strength appears to be more as a run stuffer, than as a pass-rusher.  

As for the 28th overall pick, the Pats' felt that trading for New Orleans' 56th overall pick and their #1 in 2012, was worth more than 3-4 DE prospect Muhammad Wilkerson.

Your greatest gripe (and one of mine) was what the Pats did with the 33rd overall pick...choosing CB Ras-I Dowling over potential 3-4 OLBs, Brooks Reed or Jabaal Sheard. I thought Sheard had the look of a young Willie McGinest, and Reed the versatility of a young Mike Vrabel. Time will tell whether BB was right...or made another Clay Matthews-like error.     

We drafted 2 RBs, even though we had 2 quite good ones last year.

RESPONSE: As I stated in my Report Card, I thought that the Pats could have gotten more from their 56th and 60th overall picks. 

We drafted a QB even though we have the greatest to ever play the game.

RESPONSE: True...but, at the point where Mallett was taken (74th overall), he represented great value. I felt that he had the most potential of all the QBs available. Tom Terrific is just that...but he's 34 years old. Plus, just how good is his back-up, Brian Hoyer? Can/will Hoyer ever to ready to be a quality NFL starter?   

We drafted for the OL with 17 when we could have gotten a good one at 28.

RESPONSE: I completely disagree. Who would you have had the Pats select instead...Jordan? Nate Solder is a better prospect, at the second most important position on the field (LT). Who could the Pats have gotten at #28 who was in his class? Gabe Carimi was a RT/OG prospect. Was Carimi worth a 56th overall pick this year, and a #1 pick next?  

Grade = a big fat F = no SB for the rest of the Brady years. Three more years of this BS and you will all FINALLY be screaming for BB's head.

RESPONSE: You're being too harsh. You've also discounted the fact that BB picked up an extra first and second rounder in next years' draft. I too am frustrated over the lack of a pass-rush. But, what good would it have done for BB to draft a Sheard or Reed, if he didn't think that they could do the job? Let's see how this plays out, before we start screaming for BB's head.  
    Posted by BabeParilli

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

The highly respected NFL beat-writer for the Dallas Morning News, Rick Gosselin, thinks that the Patriots had a terrific draft: http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/NFL_Draft_Patriots_Belichick_05-02-11_V0NRVPN_v2.aa61a0.html

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

Pat while i agree that the Pass Rush should have been a priority, I believe BB didnt see a player that he thought was an upgrade.. but a disagreea little that the jets loss was a result of the rush,,IT WAS IN BIG PART the O Line not being able to handle the rush...Other than Mankins and Vollmer  the O line really needed to be upgraded and we will see if thats done...THere will be a couple of stop gap rush players available in FA....Maybe that will help.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on DE for sure, as they have stroud, t warren, brace, wright, and can resign g warren if they choose to.  They know the health and development of these guys much better than us.  Same on the DB and RB's.  They have access to scounting and medicals we do not.  We all have to give in to the fact they have alot more info than we do.  OLB is the harder choice to swallow, or rather, the lack of picking one.  We can see pretty well that cunnigham got better as the year went on, but will likely never be the stud pass rusher this defense really is missing, but rather the solid all around OLB that we need opposite the stud pass rusher.  We all know how devestating this defense caan be with that elephant type (Mcginnest or LT type) pass rusher.  That guy is simply not on the roster, and we are unlikely to pick him up as an UDFA or URFA.  They are just too obvious a commodity.  We all thought he was available at 28 or 33.  BB must have thought those guys were simply a bad fit, and decided to go for the DB to give the front 7 more time to get to the QB.  I hope he is right.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Pat while i agree that the Pass Rush should have been a priority, I believe BB didnt see a player that he thought was an upgrade.. but a disagreea little that the jets loss was a result of the rush,,IT WAS IN BIG PART the O Line not being able to handle the rush...Other than Mankins and Vollmer  the O line really needed to be upgraded and we will see if thats done...THere will be a couple of stop gap rush players available in FA....Maybe that will help.
    Posted by fishers5

Rick Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News agrees with you:
    http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/NFL_Draft_Patriots_Belichick_05-02-11_V0NRVPN_v2.aa61a0.html

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on DE for sure, as they have stroud, t warren, brace, wright, and can resign g warren if they choose to.  They know the health and development of these guys much better than us.  Same on the DB and RB's.  They have access to scounting and medicals we do not.  We all have to give in to the fact they have alot more info than we do.  OLB is the harder choice to swallow, or rather, the lack of picking one.  We can see pretty well that cunnigham got better as the year went on, but will likely never be the stud pass rusher this defense really is missing, but rather the solid all around OLB that we need opposite the stud pass rusher.  We all know how devestating this defense caan be with that elephant type (Mcginnest or LT type) pass rusher.  That guy is simply not on the roster, and we are unlikely to pick him up as an UDFA or URFA.  They are just too obvious a commodity.  We all thought he was available at 28 or 33.  BB must have thought those guys were simply a bad fit, and decided to go for the DB to give the front 7 more time to get to the QB.  I hope he is right. RESPONSE: I hope so, too!!!
    Posted by fl+adam,

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hortonhearzacup. Show hortonhearzacup's posts

Let me start by saying that I am a steelers fan, so this is not a propatriots person talking, but just like when kevin Colbert makes a choice I would give Belichick a pass on some questionable picks for at least a year or 2. I also have to say that i have huge respect for your Coach and organization one of the classiest and intelligent in sports. I think long term you are going to be happy with the Dowling choice I think that McCourty and Dowling will be one of the top pairs of Corners in the league.i was sure hoping that Dowling would slide to the Steelers in round 2. He is a team captain, tough , fast, good against run and pass the type of player teams should be striving for.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Let me start by saying that I am a steelers fan, so this is not a propatriots person talking, but just like when kevin Colbert makes a choice I would give Belichick a pass on some questionable picks for at least a year or 2. I also have to say that i have huge respect for your Coach and organization one of the classiest and intelligent in sports. I think long term you are going to be happy with the Dowling choice I think that McCourty and Dowling will be one of the top pairs of Corners in the league.i was sure hoping that Dowling would slide to the Steelers in round 2. He is a team captain, tough , fast, good against run and pass the type of player teams should be striving for.
    Posted by hortonhearzacup

Thanks for the kind words about our guys. I feel the same way about the Steelers, and their fine organization. If it weren't for the Pats, I'd be a Steeler fan.

Yes...the Steelers could have used Dowling, and could have had him at #31. But, they also needed DL help...and Cameron Heyward should supply that. What's the deal with Ziggy Hood? Has he panned out? Curtis Brown of Texas should help out in the secondary. OT Marcus Gilbert should be able to step right in, and start, on their OL.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

The problem with this draft is two fold.

#1.  The Pats didn't answer the pass rush problem.
    #2.  Boring picks.  Nothing there for fans to really get jazzed about.

I'm not saying it was a poor draft because the Pats did address the needs of the OL and RB.  I'm just saying there was nothing there to excite the fan base.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Here's a good series of articles on the Pats' draft, from ESPN Boston.com: http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Regarding Ryan Mallett...reports from the Tennessee Titans say that he was 45 minutes to an hour late for his meeting with them, prior to the draft. This, in conjunction to what happened with Carolina, is disquieting: http://ten.247sports.com/Article/Ryan-Mallett-had-punctual-problems-in-Nashville-too-24297

One has to question whether or not this guy is interested in becoming an NFL QB.

Sections
Shortcuts