Patriots Draft REPORT CARD

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Patriots Draft REPORT CARD

Of course, without seeing the players selected perform on the field, it's silly to access a draft class. But, on a basis of value, here is my accessment: 

1.) PICK #17: OT Nate Solder, Colorado:  http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=2431
         Though it's true that the Pats have a great need at DE, there was an equal or, arguably, a greater need at LT. Matt Light is an UFA, and turns 33 in June. At this stage of his career, he's not worthy of the big money that he may be demanding. So, when BB had a shot at  Solder, a 6'8", 319 pound dancing bear of a man, with all the attributes you look for in an top NFL LT, he took him. The LT is of vital importance to a successful offense, second only to QB.
    GRADE: A;

2.) PICK #28: Traded to Saints for the 56th overall pick in 2011, and the Saint's #1 pick in 2012: The question here is, whether BB got sufficient value for this pick? The Pats dropped 28 spots in making this deal. A look at the NFL draft-value chart shows that the numerical value for the 28th overall pick is 660 points. The 56th overall selection is valued at 340 points. What's the Saints' #1 pick in 2012 going to be worth? Likely the same as the 56th overall pick is today. Why? Because when a team waits a year to make use of a pick, the present value of a #1 pick in 2012 is considered to be worth a second rounder today...a seconder rounder in 2012 is considered to be worth a 3rd rounder today, and so on. So...in making this trade, it appears that the Pats did nothing more than break even.

That being the case, why did the Patriots pass on a much needed 3-4 DE, Muhammad Wilkerson? Wilkerson would have filled a major need, and would not have gone to their chief rival, the New York Jets. The answer must be the BB did not think much of Wilkerson as a player. If Wilkerson flops in NY, the trade should be rated as a good one. But, if Wilkerson pans out, this trade could be a disaster.

As for Mark Ingram, the Patriots had no intention of taking him at #28. BB determined that there was equal or greater value at RB in the second and third rounds. Ingram is another player that bears watching, in order to determine whether the Pats got value in this trade. The bottom line is that the Pats apparently didn't view any player available to them at the 28th pick, including Ingram and Wilkerson, to be worthy of such a high pick. Time will tell.
    GRADE: C;

3.) PICK #33: CB Ras-I Dowling, Virginia:  http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=2156 

Dowling wasn't ranked nearly as high as he was selected. But, he has all the attributes a team looks for in a starting CB. He's tall, standing over 6'1", has good speed, and good ball skills. The rub on him is that he's injury prone. He's suffered through a fractured left ankle, a hamstring strain, and an injury to his right knee. The first thing that popped into my head when the Pats chose him was former Pats' second round pick, Terrence (steel rod in wrist) Wheatley...and we all painfully remember how he turned out. 

In taking Dowling, BB passed on edge rushers, OLB/DE Brooks Reed (taken by Houston, at #41), and DE/OLB Jabaal Sheard (taken by Cleveland, at #37). If either Reed or Sheard evolves into the second coming of Clay Matthews, depending on how well Dowling plays, this pick must go down as a disaster...and could cost the Pats a championship or two. Due to his horrid injury history, Dowling is a major gamble. It seems that that Pats could have gotten more value for so high a pick.   
    GRADE: D

4.) PICK #56: RB Shane Vereen, California:  http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=2703   

Say goodbye to Kevin Faulk. But, this was inevitable. Faulk is 34 years old, and needed to be replaced. What made Vareen a Patriot is that he's an excellent receiver, coming out of the backfield. He hauled in 74 passes during his career at Cal.. But, didn't the Pats have Faulk's replacement already, in Danny Woodhead? All purpose power RB Mikel Leshoure was available at #56, and was taken by the Lions at pick #57.  Couldn't Leshoure have been the second coming of Corey Dillon? Couldn't he have backed up, or eventually replaced, BLGE? Couldn't Vareen had been had at pick #60?

The tandum of Vereen and Woodhead could serve to prolong each others' careers. But, the Pats were in a position where they could have strengthened their RB position immeasurably, by adding both Vereen andLeshoure. WR was also a need...and guys like Torrey Smith (taken at #58 by the Ravens), Randall Cobb (taken at #64  by the Packers), and Greg Little (taken at #59 by Cleveland), all were available at pick #56. Vereen is a good player. But, he likely could have been had in the third round. BB could have, and should have, gotten a lot more value out of this pick:
    GRADE: D;

4.) PICK #60: Traded To the Houston Texans, for the 73rd and 138th overall picks:
    Pats could have taken a top WR, or RB Mikel Leshoure at #56. Then, they could have used this pick to draft Shane Vereen:
    GRADE: D;

5.) PICK #73: RB Stevan Ridley, LSU: http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=2839 

The Pats could have taken RB Leshoure, or a quality WR, as described above. Ridley is a power runner, who may turn out to be a good player. But, he likely could have been had in the 4th or 5th round. Again, BB could have, and should have, gotten more value for this pick:
    GRADE: D;  

6.) PICK #74: QB Ryan Mallett, Arkansas: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/michael_rosenberg/04/26/ryan.mallett/index.html 

I have always felt that Mallett was the best QB in this draft class. But, there's got to be a compelling reason why the QB starved teams have passed on him. There likely are some serious, yet unpublicized issues, involving this kid. Nonetheless, he's a kid, who may be salvageable. If so, the Patriots have drafted the heir apparent to Tom Brady. Mallett has loads of talent, and physical attributes that can't be coached. An excellent gamble, at this point in the draft;

7.) PICKS #92 & #125: Traded to the Oakland Raiders, in return for the Raiders' 219th overall selection, and their second round draft choice in 2012: This trade, along with BB's decisions on picks #33, 56, and 60 above, indicates that he sees the 2011 draft class as weak. BB could have used this selection on a needed OG/C. But, a second round draft choice is a valuable chip for next season. 
    GRADE: B;

8.) PICK #138: OG/OT Marcus Cannon, TCU: Huge man, who should become an eventual starter at RG for the Pats. Health concerns pushed Cannon back to the 5th round. But, there supposedly is a 90% chance that Cannon will experience a complete recovery. The Pats might "redshirt" Cannon this season, by placing him on the physically unable to perform list...much as they did with Brandon Tate. Excellent value on this 5th round selection, that fills a need:

9.) PICK #159: TE Lee Smith, Marshall:  http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=2628

In Smith, the Pats hope they found another Christian Fauria...a good back-up with dependable hands, who doesn't mind blocking. Solid 5th round pick;
    GRADE: B;

10.) PICK #194: DE/OLB Markell Carter, Central Arkansas: http://cdsdraft.com/profile.php?id=5676 
         At last, BB drafts a 3-4 OLB! Borderline prospect, as one would expect with such a low pick. Was not expected to get drafted. Why not throw away the pick, if you're going to waste it? TE Virgil Green, a Aaron Hernandez type, would have been worth a look;
    GRADE: C-; 

11.) PICK #219: DB Malcolm Williams, TCU: http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2011/04/analysis_of_7th.html
         Yawn!! This guy couldn't even start for TCU!
    GRADE: F;     

SUMMARY: I wish BB had gotten more value in the second round, as I described above. Had he done so, this could have been a monster draft for the Pats. Solder and Dowling must develop into quality starters in order for this draft to be labeled as a success. Far more damage could have been done with picks #56 and 60. The addition of a deep threat like Torrey Smith, or a Deion Branch clone, like Randall Cobb, would have made a lot of sense. From the standpoint of value only, this draft appears to be somewhat of a disappointment. It will be interesting to see how players the Pats could have had, but passed on, such as Muhammad Wilkerson, Mark Ingram, Jabaal Sheard, Brooks Reed, Mikel Leshoure, Torrey Smith, and Randall Cobb, evolve.

That said, I loved the Ryan Mallett pick!! Mallett could be the heir apparent to Tom Brady...or could be traded at a later time for a high draft choice. The kid, under the tutorage of BB and Tom Brady, simply has too much talent to fail. As an added bonus, this pick could motivate Tom Brady to even greater heights...if that's possible! 

BB also scored in round 5, landing RT/OG Marcus Cannon and Lee Smith. His selections late in round 6 and round 7 were gargantuan reaches.

Yes...the Pats did add the Saints' #1, and the Raiders' seconder rounder for 2012...which oif course adds value. But, the Pats should have gotten more mileage out of picks #56 and 60. Oh well...it is what it is!:
    GRADE: B-

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD (Rounds 1-3)

Hey TP - BB has rolled up some more assets  - and he has shown himself to be reluctant to draft DE/OLB - especially one dimesional players - he is much more likely to be looking either sign or trade for a proven NFL player - I am in agreement with you -BB's actions in the draft suggest to me that he saw it as weak - which makes sense since that was the early line on it last summer - whereas he saw last years draft as very strong - and he picked accordingly -

I am withholding judgement on this draft until camp opens - if BB hasn't addressed the pass rush by then he should and will be publicly flogged - I will participate:)

Also - TP - what is your view on the current hyping of the draft?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

I agree alot in what you say here Tex Pat.  I'm not too sure about the Mallett pick, when they didn't even draft a DE/OLB....baffles me.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Too early to judge.....Too many people read the draft handbooks like they are the bible

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD (Rounds 1-3):
    Hey TP - BB has rolled up some more assets  - and he has shown himself to be reluctant to draft DE/OLB - especially one dimesional players - he is much more likely to be looking either sign or trade for a proven NFL player

RESPONSE: BB has already taken steps toward improving the DL, with the signing of UFA Marcus Stroud, just prior to the lockout. BB and Bob Kraft are not going to take last years' playoff loss to the Jets lightly. There's going to some money paid out to shore up the front 7.

- I am in agreement with you -BB's actions in the draft suggest to me that he saw it as weak - which makes sense since that was the early line on it last summer - whereas he saw last years draft as very strong - and he picked accordingly

RESPONSE: BB targeted certain guys who fit his system. Since the Pats didn't draft a WR, I look for them to bring in at least one veteran...Randy Moss? Chad Ochocinco?

- I am withholding judgement on this draft until camp opens - if BB hasn't addressed the pass rush by then he should and will be publicly flogged - I will participate:)

RESPONSE: After that humiliating loss at home to the Jets, something will be done. 

Also - TP - what is your view on the current hyping of the draft?

RESPONSE: It should be hyped!! It's a great event! It's something I look forward to every season. It's especially interesting as a Patriots fan. One never knows what BB is going to do. The way the Pats' structure things, adding picks for the following year...they're a major player in every draft.
    Posted by qball369

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD (Rounds 1-3) :
    Posted by TexasPat3

I have no problem with the Draft being hyped as a TV event - but I think the hyping creates the misperception that each draft will have an equal number of great NFL talents  - history has shown that this is simply not the case

So, because TV must hype these players to create interest to sell advertising, many people(you can find them cutting their wrists on this board) are of the possibly mistaken belief that all these DE's BB passed on are going to be All-Pro's - based on the hype

I have one recent name - Vernon Gholston

To me it is simple - you either trust BB to do what is right for the team or you don't  - I trust the guy and I know that I don't know 1% as much about these players as he does  - I am ready to wait and see what it looks like in July - assuming they are playing football this year

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Love Solder. He was the best pure prospect on the board really at that time on many boards, and the best OL in the draft. Also, I had Mallett as the best QB in the draft, and hoped he would slip so NE could groom him for a few seasons. I like the trade outs, so long as the players NE selected were ok. Otherwise, they just pushed some picks along till next season .. effectively trading a second for a second and a first for a first, which is ok if you really don't like anyone hanging around that year .. but I liked some guys in there.  

I'd be kinder to the Vereen selection. I had him pretty high on my board, and think he is very different from Woody or BJGE. I thought they would wait and snag someone closer to the third round like Kendall Hunter. But I had Vereen neck and neck with LeShoure and Ingram. I would have thought WR would be a bigger need, but Vereen is BB taking a shot at a feature back. 

Vereen is 15 pounds heavier than Faulk or Woody and has much better top speed. At the same time, he is only 5 pounds lighter than BJGE and has much better moves. His work at Cal is much more promising than Ingram ... we at least got to see him have to fight through NFL size holes, whereas Ingram and LeShoure's highlight reels look like one horse races with 10 ft wide gates. BB's hope, which is apparent, is that BJGE becomes a valuable backup, and Woody becomes situtational. Vereen plays in all the 2TE sets and most single back, becoming (hopefully) a Marshall Faulk kind of contributor who can do everything. 

That said, Dowling is a question mark and will be the cloud on this draft. There is immense  pressure for him to succeed and stay healthy. I understand (and have been a proponent that) you cannot have enough great CBs in modern Mungy era. But the list of players he needs to outplay (Cam Heyward, Mo Wilkerson, Jabal Sheard, Akeem Ayers, and Brooks Reed) is long and full of some good talent (though I would only have taken Reed there). He also puts pressure on Cunningham, Nink, Fletcher, and Moore. After the draft BB's words were "We have guys at OLB who are still developing that we like." If Dowling turns out like McCourty, then BB looks smart ... and (coincidentally) this defense looks a lot like the NY Jets' D, in that it's all big corners who are great cover guys and form tacklers. But he better be, or Cunningham better make leaps and bounds out there, because NE has a mediocre rush at best and haven't addressed it. 

Left on the board? Well, the kid from your home state Sam Acho is still there. Greg Romeus .. but he isn't really a stander ... so not sure if NE is going to move on any of these kids. 

Also didn't like the Ridley pick ... he is a gamble. He breaks tackles and runs forward, but that is all. I don't see him as more than a short yardage back and he is freak large like Peyton Hillis or Jamaal Lewis, where he can drag LBers around, so I don't understand it, especially when someone like Leonard Hankerson was on the board, who could have helped shore up  NE's incredibly weak perimter WR unit. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prob2236. Show prob2236's posts

Dowling is not a D pick, if this guy is healthy he challenges Bodden for the number 2 cb.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MuellerTime19. Show MuellerTime19's posts

we get a pass rusher who knows a ton of defenses because he is smart and VET. I will take that this year and that's what I think we will do. Improved D-Line and Cunningham taking a good step forward in year 2. 

I see it. Let's do it!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanadianPat. Show CanadianPat's posts

Tex - as usual you provide a great canvas for the rest of us to through some paint on and exchange views.  So here I go  ...

Value - this is the word we always hear when it comes to the BB drafting method. Well most of the players NE drafted could have been taken later - Dowling, Vereen, Ridley. That ain't what we call 'Value' up here in Canada .... but hey we didn't have our banks steal evertything from our Federal Treasury, so what do we know? LOL

No Pass Rush help ... if BB is willing to take a flyer on a rumoured nut job like Mallett, why not take a "crazy flyer" on a Defensive playmaker - Brooks Reed, Justin Houstin, J Sheard ... Did anyone see who went to the Super Bowl last year?

RB - I am still shaking my head on this one. Vereen looks OK, but they could have taken him later. In fact, they could have nailed Leshoure and then got Vereen later, if 2 backs were a necessity. And if they wanted some real competition they could have signed Ridley as an UDFA. How the Fork do you draft an UFDA in the 3rd R and retain the title of "Genius"? Beyond my comprehesion ...

Dowling - could have been had later in the 2nd R. Why not trade 33 and take him at 40, 45? And then get an extra pick too????

To conclude, this "Miser Routine" of collecting future draft picks, to begat more more future draft picks, to get more, etc., etc. to never be used .... well comes a point where you have to live for today?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jh13. Show jh13's posts

so basically, it looks like you hated his pick of RBs and DBs.  It seems pretty obvious that they didn't like LeShoure.  When everyone says, "they" could of gotten them later, I just roll my eyes as very few people actually have any clue what teams are targeting. 

It should be noted that there were slight runs on DBs and RBs in the second round.  4 DBs came off before the pats would of picked again.  3 RBs came off before the pats picked in the 3rd round. 

Bummed about them not getting Wilkerson espcially since he went to the Jets.  Guess they think that Brace, Wright, and Shroud can hold down the ends.  I'll give my grades after the season.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

Ridley played among a contingent of very good back at LSU, which is why his totals stats might not be that gaudy. Miles wouldn't leave anyone on the field for more than one or two plays and Jefferson at QB at that position gobbled up many of the offensive plays. Looking at the number of recent LSU backs drafted in the last four or five years is an indication of how their system can accept many good players at one position and divide the work among them. An example is the Colts Joseph Addai - not big numbers at LSU but a very good NFL performer. Ridley could be a gem.

**Also posted in Comments in a Globe article "Profiles of Pats Draftees".**

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from memery26. Show memery26's posts

I'm taking the "faith in Belichick" route. Even in rebuilding years we seem to do nothing but win (it's a little rich that we complain about early exits when most teams wouldn't even be there during such years). There really shouldn't be any such thing as an overly distressed Pats fan in this day and age.

I am excited in all of the investment in the offense, though it appears counterintuitive on the surface. We seem really committed to ball control and ToP.  Shoring up LT with a stud gives Brady time. I believe a dynamic running game will do as much for the short/intermediate passing game as a true deep threat would. I believe we will have another prolific offense next season and force teams to play catch up, which will obviously play into the hands of our emerging top flight secondary and in turn open up the pass rush.

It's good to be a Pats fan.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

i'm in line with all your grades, except ryan "leaf" mallet. two problems with him: no QB as big and as slow as him has ever been successfull in the NFL (as per gil brandt and that guy goes back a long way), and secondly he will be released for behavior problems long before he creates any value for us. we alredy know his off the field behavior is bad. but as a 3rd string qb who will not be on the game day roster for the next two years it just gives him that much more time to get bored and get into trouble.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from memery26. Show memery26's posts

2000 Pats Draft class:

2) Adrian Klemm
    3) JR Redman
    4) Greg Randall
    5) Dave Stachelski
    5) Jeff Marriots
    6) Antwan Harris
    6) Tom Brady
    6) Dave Nugent
    7) Casey Tisdale
    7) Patrick Pass

All it takes is one.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from memery26. Show memery26's posts

i'm in line with all your grades, except ryan "leaf" mallet. two problems with him: no QB as big and as slow as him has ever been successfull in the NFL (as per gil brandt and that guy goes back a long way), and secondly he will be released for behavior problems long before he creates any value for us. we alredy know his off the field behavior is bad. but as a 3rd string qb who will not be on the game day roster for the next two years it just gives him that much more time to get bored and get into trouble.
    Posted by artielang

I bet the next preseason will address that just fine. Brady will take first offense snaps, and Hoyer will be in for a battle for backup. Of course Hoyer is better at this point, and the competition will have him playing well in preseason games very quickly. Then we will trade him for something good and give the rest of the preseason snaps to Mallett.

Mallett, in other words, is essentially giving us two first round talent pickups, one via himself, and the other via the ability to trade Hoyer.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanadianPat. Show CanadianPat's posts

artielang

I think its 50/50 you end up being right about Mallet. He's saying the right things about learning from TB, etc. I doubt he is going to adjust to being a nobody bench warmer very well. He's always been The MAN. What did another manager say ... he thinks he is a 7ft Eminem ... Maybe he can cut a good Gangsta Rap promo video for the Pats? Willie Beaman comes to Boston ...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pochen23. Show pochen23's posts

For every injury prone player that we take chance of, it can turn out to be a Wheatley or a Gronk. For Dowling it was all nagging injury, nothing major, and he is much much bigger and stronger than Wheatley so I think it is just an one year unlucky deal for him. If he had came out last year he would have been a sure fire first rounder. To go back to school shows his character alot in a good way, seems to be an extremely high character guy per the coach. I like the pick than most of the ppl on the board. I think he will become the type of corner like the RDC of Arizona or at the least an Antonio Cromartie type. You got to have one of those big CBs to stop big WRs from scoring, which was their weakness last year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

In Response to Patriots Draft REPORT CARD (Rounds 1-3):
         Of course, without seeing the players selected perform on the field, it's silly to access a draft class. But, on a basis of value, here is my accessment:  1.) PICK #17: OT Nate Solder, Colorado:   http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=2431      Though it's true that the Pats have a great need at DE, there was an equal or, arguably, a greater need at LT. Matt Light is an UFA, and turns 33 in June. At this stage of his career, he's not worthy of the big money that he may be demanding. So, when BB had a shot at  Solder, a 6'8", 319 pound dancing bear of a man, with all the attributes you look for in an top NFL LT, he took him. The LT is of vital importance to a successful offense, second only to QB. GRADE: A; 2.) PICK #28: Traded to Saints for the 56th overall pick in 2011, and the Saint's #1 pick in 2012: The question here is, whether BB got sufficient value for this pick? The Pats dropped 28 spots in making this deal. A look at the NFL draft-value chart shows that the numerical value for the 28th overall pick is 660 points. The 56th overall selection is valued at 340 points. What's the Saints' #1 pick in 2012 going to be worth? Likely the same as the 56th overall pick is today. Why? Because when a team waits a year to make use of a pick, the present value of a #1 pick in 2012 is considered to be worth a second rounder today...a seconder rounder in 2012 is considered to be worth a 3rd rounder today, and so on. So...in making this trade, it appears that the Pats did nothing more than break even.      That being the case, why did the Patriots pass on a much needed 3-4 DE, Muhammad Wilkerson? Wilkerson would have filled a major need, and would not have gone to their chief rival, the New York Jets. The answer must be the BB did not think much of Wilkerson as a player. If Wilkerson flops in NY, the trade should be rated as a good one. But, if Wilkerson pans out, this trade could be a disaster.      As for Mark Ingram, the Patriots had no intention of taking him at #28. BB determined that there was equal or greater value at RB in the second and third rounds. Ingram is another player that bears watching, in order to determine whether the Pats got value in this trade. The bottom line is that the Pats apparently didn't view  any player available to them at the 28th pick, including Ingram and Wilkerson, to be worthy of such a high pick. Time will tell. GRADE: C; 3.) PICK #33: CB Ras-I Dowling, Virginia:   http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=2156        Dowling wasn't ranked nearly as high as he was selected. But, he has all the attributes a team looks for in a starting CB. He's tall, standing over 6'1", has good speed, and good ball skills. The rub on him is that he's injury prone. He's suffered through a fractured left ankle, a hamstring strain, and an injury to his right knee. The first thing that popped into my head when the Pats chose him was former Pats' second round pick, Terrence (steel rod in wrist) Wheatley...and we all painfully remember how he turned out.       In taking Dowling, BB passed on edge rushers, OLB/DE Brooks Reed (taken by Houston, at #41), and DE/OLB Jabaal Sheard (taken by Cleveland, at #37). If either Reed or Sheard evolves into the second coming of Clay Matthews, depending on how well Dowling plays, this pick must go down as a disaster...and could cost the Pats a championship or two. Due to his horrid injury history, Dowling is a major gamble. It seems that that Pats could have gotten more value for so high a pick.    GRADE: D 4.) PICK #56: RB Shane Vereen, California:   http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=2703          Say goodbye to Kevin Faulk. But, this was inevitable. Faulk is 34 years old, and needed to be replaced. What made Vareen a Patriot is that he's an excellent receiver, coming out of the backfield. He hauled in 74 passes during his career at Cal.. But, didn't the Pats have Faulk's replacement already, in Danny Woodhead? All purpose power RB Mikel Leshoure was available at #56, and was taken by the Lions at pick #57.  Couldn't Leshoure have been the second coming of Corey Dillon? Couldn't he have backed up, or eventually replaced, BLGE? Couldn't Vareen had been had at pick #60?      The tandum of Vereen and Woodhead could serve to prolong each others' careers. But, the Pats were in a position where they could have strengthened their RB position immeasurably, by adding both Vereen and Leshoure. WR was also a need...and guys like Torrey Smith (taken at #58 by the Ravens), Randall Cobb (taken at #64  by the Packers), and Greg Little (taken at #59 by Cleveland), all were available at pick #56. Vereen is a good player. But, he likely could have been had in the third round. BB could have, and should have, gotten a lot more value out of this pick: GRADE: D; 4.) PICK #60: Traded To the Houston Texans, for the 73rd and 138th overall picks: Pats could have taken a top WR, or RB Mikel Leshoure at #56. Then, they could have used this pick to draft Shane Vereen: GRADE: D; 5.) PICK #73: RB Stevan Ridley, LSU: http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=2839         The Pats could have taken RB Leshoure, or a quality WR, as described above. Ridley is a power runner, who may turn out to be a good player. But, he likely could have been had in the 4th or 5th round. Again, BB could have, and should have, gotten more value for this pick: GRADE: D;        6.) PICK #74: QB Ryan Mallett, Arkansas: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/michael_rosenberg/04/26/ryan.mallett/index.html         I have always felt that Mallett was the best QB in this draft class. But, there's got to be a compelling reason why the QB starved teams have passed on him. There likely are some serious, yet unpublicized issues, involving this kid. Nonetheless, he's  a kid,  who may be salvagable. If so, the Patriots have drafted the heir apparent to Tom Brady. Mallett has loads of talent, and physical attributes that can't be coached. An excellent gamble, at this point in the draft; GRADE: A;  7.) PICKS #92 & #125: Traded to the Oakland Raiders, in return for the Raiders' 219th overall selection, and their second round draft choice in 2012: This trade, along with BB's decisions on picks #33, 56, and 60 above, indicates that he sees the 2011 draft class as weak. BB could have used this selection on a needed OG/C. But, a second round draft choice is a valuable chip for next season.  GRADE: B; 8.) SUMMARY:  I wish BB had gotten more value in the second round, as I described above. Had he done so, this could have been a monster draft for the Pats. Solder and Dowling must develop into quality starters in order for this draft to be labeled as a success. Far more damage could have been done with picks #56 and 60. The addition of a deep threat like Torrey Smith, or a Deion Branch clone, like Randall Cobb, would have made a lot of sense. From the standpoint of value only, this draft appears to be a disappointment. It will be interesting to see how players the Pats could have had, but passed on, such as Muhammad Wilkerson, Mark Ingram, Jabaal Sheard, Brroks Reed, Mikel Leshoure, Torrey Smith, and Randall Cobb, evolve. But, it is what it is!: GRADE: C   
    Posted by TexasPat3

The problem is that the NE scouts had players higher on their ratings than your arm chair assessments. 

Value depends on how you scout. The Pats have a very independent scouting team and if you looked at the players they rate high, and compare it to Mel Kiper it just wouldn't be close. What the "concensus" view is on a player hardly ever matches up to what the Pats scouts think. Basically the generally accepted "value" of a player is not the same as the Partiot's view of that player and how he fits into the system. 

So when you say you wish the Pats got more value for their later round picks what does that mean exactly? You mean more value compared to players you thought were available and rated higher? The Pats would say they got great value according to their scouting reports. Your arm chair reports say otherwise I know. 

The Pats have a history of drafting players they think are good value like Mankins for example, higher than people expected, that buck the concensus opinion. So what do you do? You could trade down every time I suppose and hope to eventually get that stud player your scouting team knows should be picked, or draft that player when they fall below the place where your scouts rate them. The Pats do feel they draft value and evidently didn't want to take the chance of losing a guy they think had fallen far enough. 

Overall the Pats have been able to get players that fit their system by executing the method they have in place. 

In my opinion I'm going to let the Patriots scouting teams have some liberties of taking guys they think are 1st round picks like the CB they drafted, in the second round even if Mel Kiper says he's going to be around in the 3rd round. 

I think the Pats have quietly been rebuilding a very good football team. All you have to do is look at last year's record and the way the defense started coming together. 

IT"S WORKING and we are getting results. 

So I'll give the Pats a grade of a B because nobody gets an A until we see which rookies are making an impact 2 years from now. I like the players they brought in. They went for guys who could be superstars if they pan out. Most of them won't. The way they scout and rate players though is not a problem. You have to execute the method and stick to it through the good and bad and eventually you end up with a good product in the end. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In Response to Patriots Draft REPORT CARD (Rounds 1-3):
         Of course, without seeing the players selected perform on the field, it's silly to access a draft class. But, on a basis of value, here is my accessment:  1.) PICK #17: OT Nate Solder, Colorado:   http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=2431      Though it's true that the Pats have a great need at DE, there was an equal or, arguably, a greater need at LT. Matt Light is an UFA, and turns 33 in June. At this stage of his career, he's not worthy of the big money that he may be demanding. So, when BB had a shot at  Solder, a 6'8", 319 pound dancing bear of a man, with all the attributes you look for in an top NFL LT, he took him. The LT is of vital importance to a successful offense, second only to QB. GRADE: A; 2.) PICK #28: Traded to Saints for the 56th overall pick in 2011, and the Saint's #1 pick in 2012: The question here is, whether BB got sufficient value for this pick? The Pats dropped 28 spots in making this deal. A look at the NFL draft-value chart shows that the numerical value for the 28th overall pick is 660 points. The 56th overall selection is valued at 340 points. What's the Saints' #1 pick in 2012 going to be worth? Likely the same as the 56th overall pick is today. Why? Because when a team waits a year to make use of a pick, the present value of a #1 pick in 2012 is considered to be worth a second rounder today...a seconder rounder in 2012 is considered to be worth a 3rd rounder today, and so on. So...in making this trade, it appears that the Pats did nothing more than break even.      That being the case, why did the Patriots pass on a much needed 3-4 DE, Muhammad Wilkerson? Wilkerson would have filled a major need, and would not have gone to their chief rival, the New York Jets. The answer must be the BB did not think much of Wilkerson as a player. If Wilkerson flops in NY, the trade should be rated as a good one. But, if Wilkerson pans out, this trade could be a disaster.      As for Mark Ingram, the Patriots had no intention of taking him at #28. BB determined that there was equal or greater value at RB in the second and third rounds. Ingram is another player that bears watching, in order to determine whether the Pats got value in this trade. The bottom line is that the Pats apparently didn't view  any player available to them at the 28th pick, including Ingram and Wilkerson, to be worthy of such a high pick. Time will tell. GRADE: C; 3.) PICK #33: CB Ras-I Dowling, Virginia:   http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=2156        Dowling wasn't ranked nearly as high as he was selected. But, he has all the attributes a team looks for in a starting CB. He's tall, standing over 6'1", has good speed, and good ball skills. The rub on him is that he's injury prone. He's suffered through a fractured left ankle, a hamstring strain, and an injury to his right knee. The first thing that popped into my head when the Pats chose him was former Pats' second round pick, Terrence (steel rod in wrist) Wheatley...and we all painfully remember how he turned out.       In taking Dowling, BB passed on edge rushers, OLB/DE Brooks Reed (taken by Houston, at #41), and DE/OLB Jabaal Sheard (taken by Cleveland, at #37). If either Reed or Sheard evolves into the second coming of Clay Matthews, depending on how well Dowling plays, this pick must go down as a disaster...and could cost the Pats a championship or two. Due to his horrid injury history, Dowling is a major gamble. It seems that that Pats could have gotten more value for so high a pick.    GRADE: D 4.) PICK #56: RB Shane Vereen, California:   http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=2703          Say goodbye to Kevin Faulk. But, this was inevitable. Faulk is 34 years old, and needed to be replaced. What made Vareen a Patriot is that he's an excellent receiver, coming out of the backfield. He hauled in 74 passes during his career at Cal.. But, didn't the Pats have Faulk's replacement already, in Danny Woodhead? All purpose power RB Mikel Leshoure was available at #56, and was taken by the Lions at pick #57.  Couldn't Leshoure have been the second coming of Corey Dillon? Couldn't he have backed up, or eventually replaced, BLGE? Couldn't Vareen had been had at pick #60?      The tandum of Vereen and Woodhead could serve to prolong each others' careers. But, the Pats were in a position where they could have strengthened their RB position immeasurably, by adding both Vereen and Leshoure. WR was also a need...and guys like Torrey Smith (taken at #58 by the Ravens), Randall Cobb (taken at #64  by the Packers), and Greg Little (taken at #59 by Cleveland), all were available at pick #56. Vereen is a good player. But, he likely could have been had in the third round. BB could have, and should have, gotten a lot more value out of this pick: GRADE: D; 4.) PICK #60: Traded To the Houston Texans, for the 73rd and 138th overall picks: Pats could have taken a top WR, or RB Mikel Leshoure at #56. Then, they could have used this pick to draft Shane Vereen: GRADE: D; 5.) PICK #73: RB Stevan Ridley, LSU: http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=2839         The Pats could have taken RB Leshoure, or a quality WR, as described above. Ridley is a power runner, who may turn out to be a good player. But, he likely could have been had in the 4th or 5th round. Again, BB could have, and should have, gotten more value for this pick: GRADE: D;        6.) PICK #74: QB Ryan Mallett, Arkansas: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/michael_rosenberg/04/26/ryan.mallett/index.html         I have always felt that Mallett was the best QB in this draft class. But, there's got to be a compelling reason why the QB starved teams have passed on him. There likely are some serious, yet unpublicized issues, involving this kid. Nonetheless, he's  a kid,  who may be salvagable. If so, the Patriots have drafted the heir apparent to Tom Brady. Mallett has loads of talent, and physical attributes that can't be coached. An excellent gamble, at this point in the draft; GRADE: A;  7.) PICKS #92 & #125: Traded to the Oakland Raiders, in return for the Raiders' 219th overall selection, and their second round draft choice in 2012: This trade, along with BB's decisions on picks #33, 56, and 60 above, indicates that he sees the 2011 draft class as weak. BB could have used this selection on a needed OG/C. But, a second round draft choice is a valuable chip for next season.  GRADE: B; 8.) SUMMARY:  I wish BB had gotten more value in the second round, as I described above. Had he done so, this could have been a monster draft for the Pats. Solder and Dowling must develop into quality starters in order for this draft to be labeled as a success. Far more damage could have been done with picks #56 and 60. The addition of a deep threat like Torrey Smith, or a Deion Branch clone, like Randall Cobb, would have made a lot of sense. From the standpoint of value only, this draft appears to be a disappointment. It will be interesting to see how players the Pats could have had, but passed on, such as Muhammad Wilkerson, Mark Ingram, Jabaal Sheard, Brroks Reed, Mikel Leshoure, Torrey Smith, and Randall Cobb, evolve. But, it is what it is!: GRADE: C   
    Posted by TexasPat3

Harsh grades. I see it differently even though I was looking for some of the very same people you were and was frustrated at the time of a number of these selections.... I give A overall. Same initial wants personnel and player wise. Different outlook at grading the direction BB took.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD (Rounds 1-3) : I bet the next preseason will address that just fine. Brady will take first offense snaps, and Hoyer will be in for a battle for backup. Of course Hoyer is better at this point, and the competition will have him playing well in preseason games very quickly. Then we will trade him for something good and give the rest of the preseason snaps to Mallett. Mallett, in other words, is essentially giving us two first round talent pickups, one via himself, and the other via the ability to trade Hoyer.
    Posted by memery26

I have read 200-300 posts about the draft - this is the 1st one I have read that says what I have been thinking about since I first heard of the Mallet pick - Brian Hoyer has just become valuable trade bait - there are multiple teams looking for a QB - Hoyer is better than a lot of options out there and Hoyer could have a high reputation based on what happened with Matt Cassel

Hoyer could very easily be flipped to another team for front 7 help

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from USMCM1A1. Show USMCM1A1's posts

None of us know i any of the players picked will be worth a darn.

What I know is that BB picked 5 times at the top of the draft instead of three times, and picked up an additional 1 & 2 for next year.

A+++++++++++

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD (Rounds 1-3) : I have no problem with the Draft being hyped as a TV event - but I think the hyping creates the misperception that each draft will have an equal number of great NFL talents  - history has shown that this is simply not the case So, because TV must hype these players to create interest to sell advertising, many people(you can find them cutting their wrists on this board) are of the possibly mistaken belief that all these DE's BB passed on are going to be All-Pro's - based on the hype I have one recent name - Vernon Gholston To me it is simple - you either trust BB to do what is right for the team or you don't  - I trust the guy and I know that I don't know 1% as much about these players as he does  - I am ready to wait and see what it looks like in July - assuming they are playing football this year
    Posted by qball369

Sure...rating players is extremely subjective. What's not taken into account enough is whether a certain player would be a good fit in a particular system. It's obvious to me that BB didn't think that highly of DE Muhammad Wilkerson, DE/OLB Jabaal Sheard, or DE/OLB Brooks Reed. For this reason, he gambled on Ras-I Dowling, who has the physical attributes of a top 10 CB. 

But, BB is not infallable. He made a mistake passing on OLB Clay Matthews. But, so did many other teams. That said, the fact remains that the Patriots are one good pass-rusher away from going to another SB...and Tom Brady isn't getting any younger. Even if BB proves to be right in passing on Reed and Sheard, the bottom lines remains that the Patriots don't have a badly needed pass-rusher. This has been an ongoing problem for years. It cost them SBs in 2006 and 2007...as they couldn'y corral the Manning brothers in the closing minutes of championship game losses...and still exists to this day. Because this has been an ongoing problem...the criticism of BB is growing. This from ESPN's John Clayton: 

"The Patriots entered the draft with six picks in the first three rounds, but they made a few moves too many. They have a plan every year to load up on first- and second-round picks for the future, but this was the year to cash in. My one criticism is that they didn't get a pass-rusher. Had they drafted Jabaal Sheard, a defensive end from Pitt, or Brooks Reed, a linebacker from Arizona, I'd make them my big winners. They added three Pro Bowl defenders in the first three rounds of the four drafts previous to this, but this year they needed a pass-rusher. According to ESPN Stats & Information, opposing quarterbacks had a 103.2 passer rating when the Pats sent five or more pass-rushers. That's third worst in the league. They added a nice tackle in Nate Solder. Ras-I Dowling is an intriguing corner. Shane Vereen and Stevan Ridley are role-playing running backs. Mallett is a bargaining chip for the future. But they didn't get that pass-rusher. Instead, they worked deals that allowed the Saints to get a pass-rusher, Cameron Jordan, and running back Mark Ingram. They let the Jets get maybe the next Trevor Pryce in Muhammad Wilkerson. Sure, the Pats got an extra first- and second-round picks next year, but they need to take care of current business."

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from memery26. Show memery26's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD (Rounds 1-3) : I have read 200-300 posts about the draft - this is the 1st one I have read that says what I have been thinking about since I first heard of the Mallet pick - Brian Hoyer has just become valuable trade bait - there are multiple teams looking for a QB - Hoyer is better than a lot of options out there and Hoyer could have a high reputation based on what happened with Matt Cassel Hoyer could very easily be flipped to another team for front 7 help
    Posted by qball369

Let's face it, the Pats know how to get trade value out of Tom Brady. He's like a QB stud service.

Sections
Shortcuts