Patriots Draft REPORT CARD

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD (Rounds 1-3)

In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD (Rounds 1-3):
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD (Rounds 1-3) :      Sure...rating players is extremely subjective. What's not taken into account enough is whether a certain player would be a good fit in a particular system. It's obvious to me that BB didn't think that highly of DE Muhammad Wilkerson, DE/OLB Jabaal Sheard, or DE/OLB Brooks Reed. For this reason, he gambled on Ras-I Dowling, who has the physical attributes of a top 10 CB.       But, BB is not infallable. He made a mistake passing on OLB Clay Matthews. But, so did many other teams. That said, the fact remains that the Patriots are one good pass-rusher away from going to another SB...and Tom Brady isn't getting any younger. Even if BB proves to be right in passing on Reed and Sheard, the bottom lines remains that the Patriots don't have a badly needed pass-rusher. This has been an ongoing problem for years. It cost them SBs in 2006 and 2007...as they couldn'y corral the Manning brothers in the closing minutes of championship game losses...and still exists to this day. Because this has been an ongoing problem...the criticism of BB is growing. This from ESPN's John Clayton:         "The Patriots entered the draft with six picks in the first three rounds, but they made a few moves too many. They have a plan every year to load up on first- and second-round picks for the future, but this was the year to cash in. My one criticism is that they didn't get a pass-rusher. Had they drafted Jabaal Sheard , a defensive end from Pitt, or Brooks Reed , a linebacker from Arizona, I'd make them my big winners. They added three Pro Bowl defenders in the first three rounds of the four drafts previous to this, but this year they needed a pass-rusher. According to ESPN Stats & Information, opposing quarterbacks had a 103.2 passer rating when the Pats sent five or more pass-rushers. That's third worst in the league. They added a nice tackle in Nate Solder . Ras-I Dowling is an intriguing corner. Shane Vereen and Stevan Ridley are role-playing running backs. Mallett is a bargaining chip for the future. But they didn't get that pass-rusher. Instead, they worked deals that allowed the Saints to get a pass-rusher, Cameron Jordan , and running back Mark Ingram . They let the Jets get maybe the next Trevor Pryce in Muhammad Wilkerson . Sure, the Pats got an extra first- and second-round picks next year, but they need to take care of current business."     
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

We agree - if BB doesn't address the pass rush by training camp we should and will all take him out to the woodshed

FYI - I read this article by Clayton already - I take everything he says about the Patriots with a truckload of salt - he never, and I mean never, has much good to say

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

1.) PICK #17: OT Nate Solder, Colorado: 
    GRADE: A;

2.) PICK #28: Traded to Saints for the 56th overall pick in 2011, and the Saint's #1 pick in 2012: Consider this - in today's NFL there are almost no RBs worth a first and a second. You can count them on one hand. AND, to make the issue even more significant, it has become unusual for a RB to carry the whole work load for a team for 16 games (and the playoffs). Injuries are too common anymore. Teams want their backs healthy enough for the season and playoffs.

So unless Ingram really is the next Emmitt Smith and not just a good 1200 yard back he is not worth a first and a second. The VALUE gotten here is actually very very good.

GRADE: A;

3.) PICK #33: CB Ras-I Dowling, Virginia: 

The question is not what they didnt get but what they DID get. When you look back on this draft there is bound to be a 3rd round pick who makes good big time. Or a second rounder. And so they were passed up byu the ENTIRE league for 1 -2 + rounds. Does that mean everyone did a bad job? No. It happens.

Now I agree about the need for pass rush and when you are grading it is hard to get past that. But this begs the question as to how much of a need does Dowling fill as well as how good is he. The Pats have 2 solid CBs in Bodden and McCourty. 2 POSSIBLE developmental CBs in Arrington and Butler (who by the way started to "get it" last year and was working himself more into the mix). But still only 2 bonifide CBs. Today you need a minimum of three plus depth. Today 2 is like having two good DL and one huge whole at the third spot of a 3-4. It is a weak link that the opponent can choose to target. Fruthermore, there is no one on the current roster built to be able to handle the more and moe common oversized WRs in the league. So whie pass rush is a big need, this pick filled a real and significant need for the above multiple reasons.GRADE: B (injury history limit my grade here. He has top half of 1st round talent)

4.) PICK #56: RB Shane Vereen, California:  
    This is not about Faulk or third downs. THis guy is a strong back. He is a feature back. He has some strength and is effective in the open field. Now I personally liked LeShore. But I am not grading based on the belief I know talent better than BB.

As for need here... again it is not about thrid down. It is about having any kind of a running game, not having to pass on every down and not letting the opponents D t-off on TB. The Pats have THREE RBs either retiring or about to retire. THREE. They have two others. Woodhead is a very good player. Looks like the heir to Faulk. BJGE is a dependable, tough RB who doesnt fumble. But BJGE is unable (to date) to make Ds pay for ignoring the run and teeing off on TB. And the point about holding the opponents defensive feet to the fire if the DARE the Pats to run is NO SMALL THING. The most valuable thing we have is TB. Allowing the D to throw everything they have at him minimizes our advantage of having him and also endangers his health - and so our chances at a SB.

So while all of us have been fixated on this lingering issue of pass rush this became a reallllllll issue. A real need.

GRADE: B;

4.) PICK #60: Traded To the Houston Texans, for the 73rd and 138th overall picks:

There is no way to know whether Vereen was going to be there at this pick. The criticism of choosing Vereen rather than LeShore (who I liked better) is simply a contest between who has rated the players better. I liked LeShore better but I wont lower the grade above because I believe I rate talent better. As for the rating of this pick, well, this is one I just don't get.
    GRADE: F;

5.) PICK #73: RB Stevan Ridley, LSU:      
    Addresses the issues noted above in terms of depth at RB but moe than that: this is a player with real toughness to run inside. He also plays with an attitude and is apparently a tough blocker. An excellent complement to the RBs on the roster at that point. The sort of player they have been lacking for a while. I expect, as an inside runner he is the best we have had (assuming he plays up to a reasonable level of expectation) since Corey (boy would I love to have him again). I expect he will be better in this than Antoine Smith.

Also - this guy will replace Morris as a blocker on the kick return team. Speaical teams roles are NOT to be overlooked. Those blockers either allow a good returned to break it or they dont give your returned a chance.
    GRADE: B+;  

6.) PICK #74: QB Ryan Mallett, Arkansas: GRADE: A; 

7.) PICKS #92 & #125: Traded to the Oakland Raiders, in return for the Raiders' 219th overall selection, and their second round draft choice in 2012: 

Moving into the next year allows you to not have to cut some people this year and lets you add talent and youth where you need it or see it. Smart move.

GRADE: B+;

8.) SUMMARY: 

I was looking for a very different draft. But in retrospect this looks like it is potentially a spectacular draft. Still, if the CB is injury prone, if Mallett is a wash out, if Vereen is ineffective... in short, if their EVEALUATION of talent was flawed, then this will be a flop of a draft.

GRADE: B+

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]...Also didn't like the Ridley pick ... he is a gamble. He breaks tackles and runs forward, but that is all. I don't see him as more than a short yardage back and he is freak large like Peyton Hillis or Jamaal Lewis, where he can drag LBers around, so I don't understand it, especially when someone like Leonard Hankerson was on the board, who could have helped shore up  NE's incredibly weak perimter WR unit. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

I threw out a question for you on MB's HoF thread. It was on Ridley. This answers it for me.

If the Youtube is good representaiton of how he runs, I like the pick.  He showed good catching ability on screens. But what I like most is that together with BJGE, they now have a 1-2 (or 1-2-3) punch between tackles.

I think Ridley gives them the ability to not rely too much on a screen pass on 3rd and 5 (or 6), or opens up more space for WW or the TEs.

To me that is huge, because it gives the Pats real options to finish an ugly grinder of a game, on the ground. The Pats have had difficulty winning that kind of game in the recent past.  All the opposing D does is defend TB's pass, practically giving away the run play. The Pats either seldom takes the challenge, or on few cases they do, they could not make it work.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD (Rounds 1-3) : We agree - if BB doesn't address the pass rush by training camp we should and will all take him out to the woodshed FYI - I read this article by Clayton already - I take everything he says about the Patriots with a truckload of salt - he never, and I mean never, has much good to say
    Posted by qball369[/QUOTE]

Clayton now lives here so I hear him a lot on the radio. I can confirm your assesment of him and his views aboutt he Pats. He tries to be not too obvious about it because that would probably take away his access to the team.

He grew up in Pittsburgh and has a man crush on Peyton.  Imagine how you would feel about the Pats if you were in his shoes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD (Rounds 1-3) : I threw out a question for you on MB's HoF thread. It was on Ridley. This answers it for me. If the Youtube is good representaiton of how he runs, I like the pick.  He showed good catching ability on screens. But what I like most is that together with BJGE, they now have a 1-2 (or 1-2-3) punch between tackles. I think Ridley gives them the ability to not rely too much on a screen pass on 3rd and 5 (or 6), or opens up more space for WW or the TEs. To me that is huge, because it gives the Pats real options to finish an ugly grinder of a game, on the ground. The Pats have had difficulty winning that kind of game in the recent past.  All the opposing D does is defend TB's pass, practically giving away the run play. The Pats either seldom takes the challenge, or on few cases they do, they could not make it work.
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

People felt the running back postion was not one of need in this draft. I differ in that opinion. I think we will now have a legit run game that will help take some pressure off the passing game. 
    Mankins is going to love opening holes up for Ridley. He's no Maroney. This guy powers to the open hole without hesitation. Teams are going to have to take notice of him and probably put guys in the box to stop him if he gets rolling. 

I like BJGE. At least he went north/ south and got positive yardage. I think Ridley is BJGE on steroids though. He's going to be more productive and change some game plans. I also think they have guys at that postion now who are going to catch the ball or run the ball. 

I like the runningback picks. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]For every injury prone player that we take chance of, it can turn out to be a Wheatley or a Gronk.

RESPONSE: Point taken;

For Dowling it was all nagging injury, nothing major, and he is much much bigger and stronger than Wheatley so I think it is just an one year unlucky deal for him. If he had came out last year he would have been a sure fire first rounder.

RESPONSE: Perhaps.

To go back to school shows his character alot in a good way, seems to be an extremely high character guy per the coach. I like the pick than most of the ppl on the board. I think he will become the type of corner like the RDC of Arizona or at the least an Antonio Cromartie type. You got to have one of those big CBs to stop big WRs from scoring, which was their weakness last year.

RESPONSE: BB knows that he has a problem with his pass defense, and with getting off the field on third down. A good pass-rusher allows a team to play more aggressively on defense, and force turnovers. There were two highly rated rushers available, Jabaal Sheard and Brooks Reed...yet BB passed on both, and took a physically talented, but injury prone, CB. Obviously, he wasn't impressed with either Sheard or Reed.  We'll see if he was right. 
    Posted by pochen23[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Pats land Cannon and Marshall in round 5: http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2011/04/day_3_of_the_nf.html

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Breaks tackles and runs forward,  better than falls quickly and runs sideways.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

Have to wonder why the Pats did not draft a WR. This must mean that they either love Taylor Price and Brandon Tate...or that they are going to address the position through free agency. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD

BB tells why he chose Ryan Mallett: http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/columns/story?columnist=reiss_mike&id=6453905

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

[QUOTE]2000 Pats Draft class: 2) Adrian Klemm 3) JR Redman 4) Greg Randall 5) Dave Stachelski 5) Jeff Marriots 6) Antwan Harris 6) Tom Brady 6) Dave Nugent 7) Casey Tisdale 7) Patrick Pass All it takes is one.
    Posted by memery26[/QUOTE]

Come on  . . . Patrick Pass wasn't that good!   ; />)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD (Rounds 1-3) :      Sure...rating players is extremely subjective. What's not taken into account enough is whether a certain player would be a good fit in a particular system. It's obvious to me that BB didn't think that highly of DE Muhammad Wilkerson, DE/OLB Jabaal Sheard, or DE/OLB Brooks Reed. For this reason, he gambled on Ras-I Dowling, who has the physical attributes of a top 10 CB.       But, BB is not infallable. He made a mistake passing on OLB Clay Matthews. But, so did many other teams. That said, the fact remains that the Patriots are one good pass-rusher away from going to another SB...and Tom Brady isn't getting any younger. Even if BB proves to be right in passing on Reed and Sheard, the bottom lines remains that the Patriots don't have a badly needed pass-rusher. This has been an ongoing problem for years. It cost them SBs in 2006 and 2007...as they couldn'y corral the Manning brothers in the closing minutes of championship game losses...and still exists to this day. Because this has been an ongoing problem...the criticism of BB is growing. This from ESPN's John Clayton:         "The Patriots entered the draft with six picks in the first three rounds, but they made a few moves too many. They have a plan every year to load up on first- and second-round picks for the future, but this was the year to cash in. My one criticism is that they didn't get a pass-rusher. Had they drafted Jabaal Sheard , a defensive end from Pitt, or Brooks Reed , a linebacker from Arizona, I'd make them my big winners. They added three Pro Bowl defenders in the first three rounds of the four drafts previous to this, but this year they needed a pass-rusher. According to ESPN Stats & Information, opposing quarterbacks had a 103.2 passer rating when the Pats sent five or more pass-rushers. That's third worst in the league. They added a nice tackle in Nate Solder . Ras-I Dowling is an intriguing corner. Shane Vereen and Stevan Ridley are role-playing running backs. Mallett is a bargaining chip for the future. But they didn't get that pass-rusher. Instead, they worked deals that allowed the Saints to get a pass-rusher, Cameron Jordan , and running back Mark Ingram . They let the Jets get maybe the next Trevor Pryce in Muhammad Wilkerson . Sure, the Pats got an extra first- and second-round picks next year, but they need to take care of current business."     

You know the most interesting thing about that stat? It probably tells you more about how terrible Arrington and Butler were last season than it does about the pass rush. It seemed like clockwork on those blitzes ... they would just put the ball underneath to that side of the field for a ten yard gain ... NE was helpless.  

Maybe that is what BB is thinking about. 

I think we can all agree that as mediocre as the pass rush looked at times ... the CB playing opposite McCourty and the nickelback play were freaking abyssmal. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

i think you have a point in some cases....but the blitzes were so ineffective that the qb was able to dump off to whomever butler and arrington were playing ten yards off. it goes hand in hand. even if they were draped all over the receiver, 9 times out of 10 the qb still would have had and extra 3-4 seconds to let the receiver shake free. i dont think you can really blame the stinky pass rush on the stinky coverage. it just made things worse. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD (Rounds 1-3) : You know the most interesting thing about that stat? It probably tells you more about how terrible Arrington and Butler were last season than it does about the pass rush. It seemed like clockwork on those blitzes ... they would just put the ball underneath to that side of the field for a ten yard gain ... NE was helpless.   Maybe that is what BB is thinking about.  I think we can all agree that as mediocre as the pass rush looked at times ... the CB playing opposite McCourty and the nickelback play were freaking abyssmal. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

I would agree with you but for one thing. It sure felt like Sanchez had time to take a siesta, wake up, check out all the 16-year olds in the stadium and then find his open guy and complete a pass !! 

That is not on Arrington or Butler !!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD (Rounds 1-3) : I would agree with you but for one thing. It sure felt like Sanchez had time to take a siesta, wake up, check out all the 16-year olds in the stadium and then find his open guy and complete a pass !!  That is not on Arrington or Butler !!!
    Posted by PatFanInBA2[/QUOTE]

NE's pass rush wasn't good. But that is a poor game. Most of the Jets' completions (just 16 in fact) were short passes where the pass rush was meaningless anyway. Let's not pretend NE lost because of the pass rush ... heck I pin more of that loss on the offense. How many times was Brady sacked/pressured, and how often was anyone even open for him to throw too after that first drive. Let's not pull revisionist history here ... the Jet's ground that game out.

I can only think of one play where the pass rush really failed, and even then credit Sanchez for squeezing out on that 37 yard gainer. The rest was short passes and running and the Jets taking advantages of several short fields. But Arrington got abused that game for two TDs on short seven yard plays. Yes .. I hang that on Butler and Arrington ... jsut like the first Jet's loss was all on them. At no point could NE find someone to cover Holmes or Edwards on the left side. 

Adding Demarcus Ware doesn't win that one ... sorry ... and I agree NE should focus on their pass rush ... that's just a poor example of a game. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

For what it's worth, Charlie Casserly--with whom BB hasn't exactly been on all-too-friendly terms the last few years--a few hours ago said on the NFL Network that he liked NE's draft the best of all 32 teams. He liked most of their picks and the fact that they picked up an extra 1 & 2 next season.

Personally, I'm also dying over them not addressing the pass rush this weekend.

That said, if there is a season, that means there also will be free agency and possibly trades, and you just never know who teams might make available when the time comes (that's another reason to "trade back" for extra picks--you can use them to acquire veteran assets, too, if the opportunity presents).

Also, and to be honest, I thought the most interesting thing I heard all weekend was BB basically implying that he's happy with what he's got on his Front 7 right now: a host of young and developing players whom he apparently thinks will get better going forward.

If a guy with BB's track record believes that about the talent he's got on his roster, I'd say he's earned the right to be believed, at least for now.

And remember, as much as the defense made Sanchez look like Joe Montana in that playoff game, they also made him look like Jimmy Clausen in the Monday night game six weeks earlier. In the January game, the Pats were literally down to dressing four defensive linemen, because that was all the healthy guys they had left---and one of them, Kyle Love, had started the season as an O.L.

Moreover, Cunningham also got hurt late last year and missed a lot of time---it seemed to happen almost immediately after he "bothered" Peyton Manning's final throw that Sanders picked off in the Colts game. After that, he had some kind of injury that slowed him down. He was really coming on up until that point.

So basically, while I'm a firm believer that you must have a pass rush to win, in the post-season especially, I also have no reason to doubt BB when he tells the media that he's basically happy with what he's got and that he thinks those young guys are going to get better.

Oh, and it's also only May 1st. There is still a lot of offseason left.

Don't really like the draft as a whole, though I very much like the two tackles they took; plus the RB from Cal.; plus the CB (even though I thought #33 was high to take him); and I even like the Mallett pick because QBs are assets, period. They could develop him for three years and possibly get some desperate team to overpay for him in a trade--you never know. Or he could actually turn out to be Brady's replacement in four years. Those are two of the possible three scenarios for the guy, with the third scenario being that he flames out--but at least it only cost them a low-third rounder, so it was a low-risk move.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Couple of points if I may:

TP - thanks for putting it out there.  Lot of work there and while I disagree with some of what you've said and the conclusions that you draw, I respect the effort and perspective.

I think it is a mistake to base any draft decision on what has happened in one game even if that game is a play-off loss.  By all means include it in the process but don't make that the driving force in any personnel decision.

I also must conclude that BB had his reasons for not drafting a pass rusher in the early rounds.  Frustrating though it may be for many, he is not in the business of making us happy; his job is to produce consistenly winning and super bowl contending football teams.  That is something that he does arguably better than anyone else in the business.  Nothing succeeds like success.  Cliched? Perhaps but nonetheless true.

I am particularly pleased (not that anyone really gives a rat's a_$$ mind you) with the Solder, Dowling, Mallett and Cannon picks.  Like the RBs as well but not quite as much as the others. 

14-2 with the youngest D in the league; that's pretty flippin good and it appears BB has made the team even better.

My humble 2 cents.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I do hate that we didnt draft pass rush.  However, and I touched on this in the huge draft thread, I think I have a clue or an idea of what BB was doing:
    He saw 2 areas of weakness, pass rush and running game.  Due to the run on D, he chose the better value to address a team flaw.  He drafted a huge OT, monster RG/possibly RT, added 2 backs, 1 all around and 1 pound it guy that can also block and catch.  He saw option #2 as the better one.  He is going into a smashmouth football direction.  This will keep TB cleaner, prolong his career, add a new offensive dimension, greatly improve our short yardage game, rest the D more, allow time to further evaluate the youth on D.  I know adding D would have been all of our choices, but we dont see the pats board.  We see the same board that in theory applies to every team out there.  We know it doesnt apply to the pats in reality.  I see TB's stats going down, scoring going down, BUT time of possession increasing, short yardage game improving and the D improving due to rest and 1 more year in the system.
    my 1/2 cent

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD:
    [QUOTE]Couple of points if I may: TP - thanks for putting it out there.  Lot of work there and while I disagree with some of what you've said and the conclusions that you draw, I respect the effort and perspective. I think it is a mistake to base any draft decision on what has happened in one game even if that game is a play-off loss.  By all means include it in the process but don't make that the driving force in any personnel decision.

RESPONSE: I wish that the Pats were basing their draft decisions on that one playoff loss to the Jets. But, there was also the playoff loss to the Colts in 2006, where the Pats' front seven couldn't get at Peyton Manning. There was that agonizing loss in the SB, where the Pats' front seven couldn't stop Eli Manning from marching 83 yards in the final 2 minutes, ruining what would have been a story-book season. There was that  horrid playoff loss at home in 2009 against the Buzzards, where the defensive front seven couldn't stop RB Ray Rice. And. most recently, there was that awful playoff loss at home to the hated Jets, where the Pats front seven made Mark Sanchez look like Joe Montana. 

In other words, the poor play of the front seven in the play-offs has been an ongoing problem for the past several years. The Pats have been unable to adequately replace DE Richard Seymour, DE/OLB Willie McGinest, and OLB Mike Vrabel. They did nothing in this draft to solve this problem. 

I also must conclude that BB had his reasons for not drafting a pass rusher in the early rounds.  Frustrating though it may be for many, he is not in the business of making us happy; his job is to produce consistenly winning and super bowl contending football teams.  That is something that he does arguably better than anyone else in the business.  Nothing succeeds like success.  Cliched? Perhaps but nonetheless true.

RESPONSE: I addressed this very point in my Report Card. BB knows that he needs a pass-rusher, and a stout, young 3-4 DE. But, he also knew that he had to have a LT, with Matt Light turning 33 in June, and him being an UFA. So...he made the Solder pick...for which I gave him an "A" grade.

The trade of the 28th pick...getting the 56th pick overall this year, and the Saints' #1 next, was undoubtedly made because BB saw more value for the team in doing that, than in drafting potential 3-4 DEs Muhammad Wilkerson, or Cameron Heyward. In other words, BB evidently didn't think that Wilkerson or Heyward were that good.

Finally, in selecting CB Ras-I Dowling with pick #33, BB decided to fortify his secondary with an injury prone guy, who has the physical attributes of a top 15 CB...rather than roll dice on potential 3-4 OLBs, Brooks Reed and Jabaal Sheard. In other words, BB evidently didn't think that Reed or Sheard were that good.

Whether he's right in these assessments or not remains to be seen.    

I am particularly pleased (not that anyone really gives a rat's a_$$ mind you) with the Solder, Dowling, Mallett and Cannon picks.  Like the RBs as well but not quite as much as the others.  14-2 with the youngest D in the league; that's pretty flippin good and it appears BB has made the team even better. My humble 2 cents.

RESPONSE: The Patriots grossly overachieved in going 14-2 last season.  The team's performance added to the legacy and the legend of BB, who produced one of the finest coaching jobs of his career.

I too liked the Solder, Mallett, and Cannon picks. But, I question drafting a guy at #33 who has shown himself to be injury prone. In the aftermath of the failed Terrence Wheatley gamble, there appears to be reason for concern.    
    Posted by ATJ[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Sorry, I find report cards as laughable as mock drafts.  As fans, we look at the perceived weaknesses on the roster and try to project guys that we've maybe seen once or twice and call them a fit.  We have no idea of the scouting process that goes on and who most of these guys really are.  If three of these guys go on to success and a few more add depth for the next few years, the draft did what it was supposed to do. 

Belichick is all about having multiple bites at the apple.  Given the depth of the roster and the nature of the draft anyway, most of these guys will be out of the league while hopefully a few will be starters and potential pro bowl types. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD :

TexasPat, a few things if I may, regarding "why" the Pats lost in the 2006, 2007 and 2009 post-seasons.

1--In 2006 the defense was riddled with injuries heading into the playoffs. Harrison had just been cheap-shotted out of the playoffs by the Titans in Week 17, and Seau had been lost for the year against the Bears a few weeks earlier. Seymour was in and out of the lineup all season with nagging injuries, and he left that Colts game in the first quarter and saw limited duty the entire game. So they were already down three key guys on defense in that game, before the heat--real or artificial--was turned up in the second half inside that dome and the flu bug that was running through the locker room that week started to wear down the rest of the defenders. That said, the Pats still win that game if the refs don't blow three huge calls over the course of the game, any one of which, if made correctly, would have reversed the outcome of the game.

2--In 2007, the defense had held the Giants to 10 points through 58 minutes of play in the Super Bowl. On the final drive, they made plays that in most situations would have ended the game: Samuel had an INT thrown right to him, and Green and Thomas had Eli in the grasp. In both cases, the players were in a position to make a play, and they failed. That had nothing to do with a lack of talent up front; it had everything to do with luck. The Giants' O-line got away with two flagrant holds on that near-sack/helmet catch play; what can you do about that? If the O-line is allowed to hold and no penalty is called, that's just bad luck. If the All-Pro cornerback has the game-winning INT slip through his hands, that's just bad luck. It happens. But again, it had nothing to do with the talent up front.

3--In 2009 the Pats were in full-on rebuilding mode. They were not going far in the post-season anyway that year. The Ravens game was a disaster, but aside from the Ray Rice TD run on the first play, you can't blame the defense for that loss. The offense was horrid that day and gave Baltimore great field position throughout the first half with costly turnovers. I simply can't lay that one on the defense.

4--The defense AND the offense were equally to blame for the January disaster against the Jets. But regarding the defense, it's important to remember that the Jets had 7 points on the board the entire first half until the ill-fated, inexplicable Chung fake punt disaster. And that another of the Jets' TDs came after they ran the onside kick back to the Pats' 30-yard line, or so, late in the 4th quarter. Yes, the defense made Sanchez look way too good in that game, and they failed miserably in the red zone that day, but it's also important to remember that they were down to 4 healthy defensive lineman that day. No Mike Wright; no Pryor; Kyle Love, a converted O-lineman, being one of the four guys who was dressed on the D-line that afternoon. It was a bad day overall, and it happens, only the bad days are magnified ten-fold when they happen in the playoffs (see the 1987 49ers, who were 13-2, getting slaughtered at home by the 8-7 Vikings in the NFC divisional round).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]I do hate that we didnt draft pass rush.  However, and I touched on this in the huge draft thread, I think I have a clue or an idea of what BB was doing: He saw 2 areas of weakness, pass rush and running game.  Due to the run on D, he chose the better value to address a team flaw.  He drafted a huge OT, monster RG/possibly RT, added 2 backs, 1 all around and 1 pound it guy that can also block and catch.  He saw option #2 as the better one.  He is going into a smashmouth football direction.  This will keep TB cleaner, prolong his career, add a new offensive dimension, greatly improve our short yardage game, rest the D more, allow time to further evaluate the youth on D.  I know adding D would have been all of our choices, but we dont see the pats board.  We see the same board that in theory applies to every team out there.  We know it doesnt apply to the pats in reality.  I see TB's stats going down, scoring going down, BUT time of possession increasing, short yardage game improving and the D improving due to rest and 1 more year in the system. my 1/2 cent
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon[/QUOTE]

I think we can all agree that BB knows far more about how to put together a championship team than any of us. Even though the Pats haven't won a championship since the 2004 season, they've seriously contended in 2006, 2007, and 2010. Repeat after me, "In Bill we trust"!! LOL!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In Bill we trust!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD : TexasPat, a few things if I may, regarding "why" the Pats lost in the 2006, 2007 and 2009 post-seasons. 1--In 2006 the defense was riddled with injuries heading into the playoffs. Harrison had just been cheap-shotted out of the playoffs by the Titans in Week 17, and Seau had been lost for the year against the Bears a few weeks earlier. Seymour was in and out of the lineup all season with nagging injuries, and he left that Colts game in the first quarter and saw limited duty the entire game. So they were already down three key guys on defense in that game, before the heat--real or artificial--was turned up in the second half inside that dome and the flu bug that was running through the locker room that week started to wear down the rest of the defenders. That said, the Pats still win that game if the refs don't blow three huge calls over the course of the game, any one of which, if made correctly, would have reversed the outcome of the game. 2-

RESPONSE: LOL!!!! I stand corrected!! I have "discussed" the same things with our good buddy, UD6, a/k/a Underdog(gggg), on several occasions. The 2006 AFC title game, and, ultimately, the SB, was stolen from the Pats by the refs, in that game. The NFL was bound and determined to give the media darlings, Peyton Manning, Tony Dungy, and the Colts, a championship.   

-In 2007, the defense had held the Giants to 10 points through 58 minutes of play in the Super Bowl. On the final drive, they made plays that in most situations would have ended the game: Samuel had an INT thrown right to him, and Green and Thomas had Eli in the grasp. In both cases, the players were in a position to make a play, and they failed. That had nothing to do with a lack of talent up front; it had everything to do with luck. The Giants' O-line got away with two flagrant holds on that near-sack/helmet catch play; what can you do about that? If the O-line is allowed to hold and no penalty is called, that's just bad luck. If the All-Pro cornerback has the game-winning INT slip through his hands, that's just bad luck. It happens. But again, it had nothing to do with the talent up front. 3-

RESPONSE: Yet the plays weren't made...and the Giants, led by Goober Manning, marched 83 yards.

-In 2009 the Pats were in full-on rebuilding mode. They were not going far in the post-season anyway that year. The Ravens game was a disaster, but aside from the Ray Rice TD run on the first play, you can't blame the defense for that loss. The offense was horrid that day and gave Baltimore great field position throughout the first half with costly turnovers. I simply can't lay that one on the defense. 4-

RESPONSE: Here I completely disagree. The Pats' "D" was awful that day.

-The defense AND the offense were equally to blame for the January disaster against the Jets. But regarding the defense, it's important to remember that the Jets had 7 points on the board the entire first half until the ill-fated, inexplicable Chung fake punt disaster. And that another of the Jets' TDs came after they ran the onside kick back to the Pats' 30-yard line, or so, late in the 4th quarter. Yes, the defense made Sanchez look way too good in that game, and they failed miserably in the red zone that day, but it's also important to remember that they were down to 4 healthy defensive lineman that day. No Mike Wright; no Pryor; Kyle Love, a converted O-lineman, being one of the four guys who was dressed on the D-line that afternoon. It was a bad day overall, and it happens, only the bad days are magnified ten-fold when they happen in the playoffs (see the 1987 49ers, who were 13-2, getting slaughtered at home by the 8-7 Vikings in the NFC divisional round).

RESPONSE: I hope you're right. Judging from the Pats' draft, BB agrees with you. I guess we'll have to wait  and see how things turn out.
    Posted by hardright[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

While Patriots fans are complaining about BB's failure to land a pass-rusher, Dolphins fans are whining about their team's failure to land a QB...specifically, Ryan Mallett: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/