Patriots Draft REPORT CARD

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD

In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD:
    [QUOTE]     Regarding Ryan Mallett...reports from the Tennessee Titans say that he was 45 minutes to an hour late for his meeting with them, prior to the draft. This, in conjunction to what happened with Carolina, is disquieting: http://ten.247sports.com/Article/Ryan-Mallett-had-punctual-problems-in-Nashville-too-24297      One has to question whether or not this guy is interested in becoming an NFL QB.
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Or he really really wanted to get picked by the Pats!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

It seems Mallett has quite a bit of maturing to do. As for missing the Carolina meeting, maybe he didn't want to play there. Still a stupid move, but possibly a reason. I haven't heard any specifics about his "problems" off the field, but Mayock did mention he's had run-ins with the law. Talented kid with his head up his...you know. If he doesn't change quickly I don't doubt BB will cut him. Maybe he only needs some leadership and discipline. Brady will give no quarter if he doesn't give his all in practice and meetings. Still it seems a bit high of a pick for a gamble. But if he does fly right he could be another Cassel. The kid is intelligent (when he uses his brains) and has talent. I liked the Solder pick, who knows what the O-line will look like by September. IMO he was the "best value" sitting at 17, and in a position of need. I was a bit puzzled by the two RBs, but given their differences I think they could "round out" the RB committee. I assume Taylor and Morris are history. Dowling is one I'm puzzled about, as he is another "gamble". If healthy he'll be a great compliment to McCourty. If he's injury prone he'll be another wasted pick. I suppose none of the pass rushers appealed to BB this draft, except maybe one or two that went high. He also might have faith in some of the younger guys to step up. With all the injuries on the DL last season that had to affect the rush. And possibly he has his eye on some FA, as it has to happen eventually. I agree with Gary that there was no "flash" to the draft, probably making it seem worse to fans than it really was. In the end we'll all really have to wait a year or two to accurately grade these guys.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]It seems Mallett has quite a bit of maturing to do. As for missing the Carolina meeting, maybe he didn't want to play there. Still a stupid move, but possibly a reason. I haven't heard any specifics about his "problems" off the field, but Mayock did mention he's had run-ins with the law. Talented kid with his head up his...you know. If he doesn't change quickly I don't doubt BB will cut him. Maybe he only needs some leadership and discipline. Brady will give no quarter if he doesn't give his all in practice and meetings. Still it seems a bit high of a pick for a gamble. But if he does fly right he could be another Cassel. The kid is intelligent (when he uses his brains) and has talent.

RESPONSE: No question about Mallett's physical capabilities. But, I must question his intelligence, and his commitment to the game. Blowing off a meeting with Carolina due to an alleged "illness", after a night on the town, makes one wonder. But, you have to more than wonder when he repeated his behavior, in being late for a meeting with the Tennessee Titans. That seems to be more than immaturity. That's an attitude problem. These types of things are the reason why QB starved teams passed on Mallett...and he slid to the Patriots.   

I liked the Solder pick, who knows what the O-line will look like by September. IMO he was the "best value" sitting at 17, and in a position of need.

RESPONSE: Agreed. UFA Matt Light will be 33 in June, and likely is seeking at least a 3 year deal, for big money. He won't get that in New England. But, I do expect the Patriots to sign Logan Mankins to a lengthy, big money deal. He'll take over for Light as the veteran leader of the OL. 

I was a bit puzzled by the two RBs, but given their differences I think they could "round out" the RB committee. I assume Taylor and Morris are history.

RESPONSE: As I stated in my Report Card, the Pats could have, and should have gotten more mileage with the 56th and 60th overall picks. But, if Vareen and Ridley prove to be a solid replacements for Kevin Faulk, and Sammy Morris, it's all good. 

Dowling is one I'm puzzled about, as he is another "gamble". If healthy he'll be a great compliment to McCourty. If he's injury prone he'll be another wasted pick. I suppose none of the pass rushers appealed to BB this draft, except maybe one or two that went high.

RESPONSE: That's evidently the case. Plus, BB wants players with experience operating as 3-4 OLBs in his defense. There's a high failure rate for college DEs, who are transformed in 3-4 OLBs in the pros.  

He also might have faith in some of the younger guys to step up. With all the injuries on the DL last season that had to affect the rush. And possibly he has his eye on some FA, as it has to happen eventually. I agree with Gary that there was no "flash" to the draft, probably making it seem worse to fans than it really was. In the end we'll all really have to wait a year or two to accurately grade these guys.

RESPONSE: You might want to read Rick Gosselin's take on the Pats' draft, cited again, here. He blames the playoff loss to the Jets on the Pats' OL:
    http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/NFL_Draft_Patriots_Belichick_05-02-11_V0NRVPN_v2.aa61a0.html
    Posted by bubthegrub2[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Here's SI's Peter King's take on the Patriots draft:

I'm getting a little tired of New England saving for a rainy day. A couple of disclaimers: No one works the draft and manages the draft like Bill Belichick. And a year ago, I was screaming for the Patriots to make a big deal and trade for Anquan Boldin. They scored 32 points a game without Boldin; so much for my sense of urgency at receiver.

But with their treasure trove of draft choices -- three in the top 33 when no other team had more than one, and five in the top 75 -- they had to upgrade a deficient pass-rush, and didn't do it. (Great stat from John Clayton of ESPN: When New England sent five rushers or more last season, opposing quarterbacks had a rating of 103.2. That was third-worst in the league. I'm amazed any team was worse than that, really. That's just awful. And New England allowed a 47-percent third-down conversion rate, which is not a winning defensive number. Not close.) The Patriots got cute. They set themselves up for the future, when they'll control the 2012 draft again with two first-round picks and two second-rounders. This is a draft New England needed to add pass-rush pieces, not just one. And they got none.

They passed on two good rush prospects -- Pitt's Jabaal Sheard and Arizona's Brooks Reed, who went 37 and 42 to Cleveland and Houston, respectively. New England got a good tackle at 17, Nate Solder, and you can't knock them for dealing the 28th pick to New Orleans for the Saints' first-rounder next year plus the 56th pick in this draft, which they used on Cal running back Shane Vereen. But at 33, with Sheard and Reed in play, Belichick took cornerback Ras-I Dowling of Virginia, continuing a borderline myopic trend with corners. Check out the recent activity with New England and cornerbacks in the draft and free agency:

DraftCorner pickedOverall pickFree-agent signed
    2011Ras-I Dowling33N/A
    2010Devin McCourty27N/A
    2009Darius Butler41Leigh Bodden (Cleve.)
    2008Terrence Wheatley62N/A

New England's leading outside pass-rusher last year, Tully Banta-Cain, had five sacks last year. Not good enough.

Now a word about draft grades.

I have nothing against my peers grading drafts. It's harmless fun. Like mock drafts, grading drafts has become a spring tradition that fills space and, I suppose, generates good talk show fodder. There's a difference in the two, though. When you do a mock draft, you're predicting who each team is going to pick ... presumably based on some knowledge you've gleaned though some people you know in different organizations. But when you grade a draft, at least when I graded drafts in the past, I always felt I wasn't qualified in any way to do so, because I just didn't know the players beyond the top ones well at all.

I looked back Sunday night to the 2006 draft, and the grades handed out in the days after the draft. I always considered two writers to be the best, and the toughest, at this: our own Paul Zimmerman and Rick Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News. And after the 2006 draft, Dr. Z and Goose gave A grades to Arizona, praising the drafting of Matt Leinart, Deuce Lutui, Gabe Watson and Leonard Pope. It's five years later. Leinart was a disaster, Pope barely passable for three seasons, Watson a part-time starter. The only player sure to be on the Cards now, five seasons later, is starting guard Lutui.

Gosselin spends three months learning these players and getting the scoop on 300 of them every winter and spring. He's the best. I just don't think it's very easy, or very logical, to grade teams before players have had their first practice with their new teams.

NFL Truth & Rumors

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I'm getting a little tired of Peter King bashing a defense that was 8th in points allowed and was good enough to secure the #1 seed in the NFL last year.

If he wants to talk about the playoffs then he has to criticize the offense and special teams.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]I'm getting a little tired of Peter King bashing a defense that was 8th in points allowed and was good enough to secure the #1 seed in the NFL last year. If he wants to talk about the playoffs then he has to criticize the offense and special teams.
    Posted by digger0862[/QUOTE]

King falls in with the Mel Kiper school of thought. The refrain goes something like this, "the Pats failed to get their pass rusher", and "BB keeps trading down for more picks the future, instead of dealing for the present". Well...BB's way has kept the  Pats in contention for a decade now, and includes three world championships...not to mention the one stolen away by the refs, and gift wrapped for the Colts in 2006...and one near perfect season, in 2007.

"In Bill We All Should Trust"  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]     Here's SI's Peter King's take on the Patriots draft:   • I'm getting a little tired of New England saving for a rainy day. A couple of disclaimers: No one works the draft and manages the draft like Bill Belichick. And a year ago, I was screaming for the Patriots to make a big deal and trade for Anquan Boldin. They scored 32 points a game without Boldin; so much for my sense of urgency at receiver. But with their treasure trove of draft choices -- three in the top 33 when no other team had more than one, and five in the top 75 -- they had to upgrade a deficient pass-rush, and didn't do it. (Great stat from John Clayton of ESPN: When New England sent five rushers or more last season, opposing quarterbacks had a rating of 103.2. That was third-worst in the league. I'm amazed any team was worse than that, really. That's just awful. And New England allowed a 47-percent third-down conversion rate, which is not a winning defensive number. Not close.) The Patriots got cute. They set themselves up for the future, when they'll control the 2012 draft again with two first-round picks and two second-rounders. This is a draft New England needed to add pass-rush pieces, not just one. And they got none. They passed on two good rush prospects -- Pitt's Jabaal Sheard and Arizona's Brooks Reed, who went 37 and 42 to Cleveland and Houston, respectively. New England got a good tackle at 17, Nate Solder, and you can't knock them for dealing the 28th pick to New Orleans for the Saints' first-rounder next year plus the 56th pick in this draft, which they used on Cal running back Shane Vereen. But at 33, with Sheard and Reed in play, Belichick took cornerback Ras-I Dowling of Virginia, continuing a borderline myopic trend with corners. Check out the recent activity with New England and cornerbacks in the draft and free agency:   Draft Corner picked Overall pick Free-agent signed 2011 Ras-I Dowling 33 N/A 2010 Devin McCourty 27 N/A 2009 Darius Butler 41 Leigh Bodden (Cleve.) 2008 Terrence Wheatley 62 N/A New England's leading outside pass-rusher last year, Tully Banta-Cain, had five sacks last year. Not good enough.   Now a word about draft grades. I have nothing against my peers grading drafts. It's harmless fun. Like mock drafts, grading drafts has become a spring tradition that fills space and, I suppose, generates good talk show fodder. There's a difference in the two, though. When you do a mock draft, you're predicting who each team is going to pick ... presumably based on some knowledge you've gleaned though some people you know in different organizations. But when you grade a draft, at least when I graded drafts in the past, I always felt I wasn't qualified in any way to do so, because I just didn't know the players beyond the top ones well at all. I looked back Sunday night to the 2006 draft, and the grades handed out in the days after the draft. I always considered two writers to be the best, and the toughest, at this: our own Paul Zimmerman and Rick Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News . And after the 2006 draft, Dr. Z and Goose gave A grades to Arizona, praising the drafting of Matt Leinart, Deuce Lutui, Gabe Watson and Leonard Pope. It's five years later. Leinart was a disaster, Pope barely passable for three seasons, Watson a part-time starter. The only player sure to be on the Cards now, five seasons later, is starting guard Lutui. Gosselin spends three months learning these players and getting the scoop on 300 of them every winter and spring. He's the best. I just don't think it's very easy, or very logical, to grade teams before players have had their first practice with their new teams. *** NFL Truth & Rumors www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/281651?eref=sircrc&eref=fromSI " target="new" /> Mallett: I'm 'a lot' like Brady www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/281690?eref=sircrc&eref=fromSI " target="new"> Broncos send message to Tebow www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/281650?eref=sircrc&eref=fromSI " target="new"> Guess what Rex Ryan believes his team can win   http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/05/01/mmqb/index.html#ixzz1LLZpTYvQ  

I'm not a fan of Peter King, but in this case he states what should be obvious to all, except those who drink the BB kool-aide. The fact is the D was pretty dreadful and allowing Sanchez a 127 PR in the one and out playoff game shows that in spades. But somehow in the genius' mind we needed 2 TEs, 2 RBs and a QB in the last 2 drafts. And then there's the draft before those when he picked THREE defenders in the 2nd round who have pretty much done squat.

Another year goes by and he picks like he pulled the names out of a hat and all the rank and file can do is take another swig.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD : I'm not a fan of Peter King, but in this case he states what should be obvious to all, except those who drink the BB kool-aide. The fact is the D was pretty dreadful and allowing Sanchez a 127 PR in the one and out playoff game shows that in spades. But somehow in the genius' mind we needed 2 TEs, 2 RBs and a QB in the last 2 drafts. And then there's the draft before those when he picked THREE defenders in the 2nd round who have pretty much done squat. Another year goes by and he picks like he pulled the names out of a hat and all the rank and file can do is take another swig.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

Kentucky Babe: Again, I think you're being too harsh on BB. How many teams have been as successful as the Pats over this past decade? True...they were one and done two years in a row, with playoff losses at home.

In 2009, they lost one of their biggest offensive weapons, Wes Welker, for the year. You must admit that BB has improved his defense after that loss, with the additions of Devin McCourty, Brandon Spikes, Ras-I Dowling, Jermaine Cunnigham, Kyle Arrington, Dane Fletcher, Eric Moore, Brandon Deaderick, and Rob Ninkovich. 

In 2010, they lost to the Jets. Admittedly, the "D" made Jets QB Sanchez look like Joe Montana. But, it can also be argued that the strength of the team, the offense, llost that game. Tom Brady threw that awful interception, killing what appeared to be a TD drive. TE Alge Crumpler had a horrible drop of a TD pass in the next series. There was also that ill advised, poorly executed fake punt late in the first half, which gift-wrapped a FG for the Jets. The OL played poorly, as Tom Brady was taken out of his comfort zone. This from Rick Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News:

"The Patriots finished the 2010 regular season with the best record in the NFL at 14-2. But for the second consecutive post-season, New England was beaten at home in its first playoff game.

The problem was pass protection — Brady was sacked five times by the Jets and eight times total in those two January losses. Belichick needed to find someone who could help keep Brady upright in the pocket.":

http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/NFL_Draft_Patriots_Belichick_05-02-11_V0NRVPN_v2.aa61a0.html

The Pats are coming off an incredible 14-2 season. LT Matt Light is a fading, UFA ...who needed to be replaced. Don't you agree that protecting Tom Brady is job one? So...the selection of OT Nate Solder at #17 was necessitated. 

The disappointing play of CB Darius Butler, the fact that Kyle Arrington is best suited as a reserve, and the aging Leigh Bodden coming back from a season ending injury necessitated the selection of CB Ras-I Dowling. Unlike past Pats' CB picks, he's a tall corner, who stands nearly 6'2". He'll help put the clamps on tall WRs, like the Jets' Braylon Edwards. 

One can argue that DE/OLB Jabaal Sheard would have been the better choice. Because BB says that it takes several years for a hybrid player like Sheard to learn the position...and due to the high rate of busts for these type of players. Plus, as described above, the Pats needed another CB...especially a tall CB.

I tend to agree with you about how BB handled the 56th and 60th picks. I think he could have gotten more value than he did. But, the value at that point wasn't necessarily on the defensive side of the ball...except perhaps for OLB/DE Justin Houston. RB Mikel Leshoure and WRs Torrey Smith and Randall Cobb were also both available. Shane Vereen may be a good player, but likely could have been had at pick #74. 

Still, who am I to second guess BB? He has scouting reports and information on players, that neither of us have access to. We can't discount his acquisition of an additional first and second round pick in 2012. Furthermore, getting QB Ryan Mallett and OT/OG Marcus Cannon with the 74th and 138th overall, respectively, could turn out to be steals. 

Even though the Pats went 14-2 last year, they were far from a complete football team. They oveerachieved last season. Going into this draft, the Patriots had holes at LT, OG, RB, DE, OLB, WR, and CB. That's a ton of holes for a 14-2 team. BB addressed the need on the OL with a LT (Solder), an OG (Cannon), and a blocking TE (Smith). He also addressed the RB position (Vereen and Ridley), and CB (Dowling). It's too much to expect that BB would be able to fill all these holes in one draft.      

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD :      Kentucky Babe: Again, I think you're being too harsh on BB. How many teams have been as successful as the Pats over this past decade? True...they were one and done two years in a row, with playoff losses at home.      In 2009, they lost one of their biggest offensive weapons, Wes Welker, for the year. You must admit that BB has improved his defense after that loss, with the additions of Devin McCourty, Brandon Spikes, Ras-I Dowling, Jermaine Cunnigham, Kyle Arrington, Dane Fletcher, Eric Moore, Brandon Deaderick, and Rob Ninkovich.       In 2010, they lost to the Jets. Admittedly, the "D" made Jets QB Sanchez look like Joe Montana. But, it can also be argued that the strength of the team, the offense, llost that game. Tom Brady threw that awful interception, killing what appeared to be a TD drive. TE Alge Crumpler had a horrible drop of a TD pass in the next series. There was also that ill advised, poorly executed fake punt late in the first half, which gift-wrapped a FG for the Jets. The OL played poorly, as Tom Brady was taken out of his comfort zone. This from Rick Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News:      "The Patriots finished the 2010 regular season with the best record in the NFL at 14-2. But for the second consecutive post-season, New England was beaten at home in its first playoff game.      The problem was pass protection — Brady was sacked five times by the Jets and eight times total in those two January losses. Belichick needed to find someone who could help keep Brady upright in the pocket.": http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/NFL_Draft_Patriots_Belichick_05-02-11_V0NRVPN_v2.aa61a0.html      The Pats are coming off an incredible 14-2 season. LT Matt Light is a fading, UFA ...who needed to be replaced. Don't you agree that protecting Tom Brady is job one? So...the selection of OT Nate Solder at #17 was necessitated.       The disappointing play of CB Darius Butler, the fact that Kyle Arrington is best suited as a reserve, and the aging Leigh Bodden coming back from a season ending injury necessitated the selection of CB Ras-I Dowling. Unlike past Pats' CB picks, he's a tall corner, who stands nearly 6'2". He'll help put the clamps on tall WRs, like the Jets' Braylon Edwards.       One can argue that DE/OLB Jabaal Sheard would have been the better choice. Because BB says that it takes several years for a hybrid player like Sheard to learn the position...and due to the high rate of busts for these type of players. Plus, as described above, the Pats needed another CB...especially a tall CB.      I tend to agree with you about how BB handled the 56th and 60th picks. I think he could have gotten more value than he did. But, the value at that point wasn't necessarily on the defensive side of the ball...except perhaps for OLB/DE Justin Houston. RB Mikel Leshoure and WRs Torrey Smith and Randall Cobb were also both available. Shane Vereen may be a good player, but likely could have been had at pick #74.       Still, who am I to second guess BB? He has scouting reports and information on players, that neither of us have access to. We can't discount his acquisition of an additional first and second round pick in 2012. Furthermore, getting QB Ryan Mallett and OT/OG Marcus Cannon with the 74th and 138th overall, respectively, could turn out to be steals.       Even though the Pats went 14-2 last year, they were far from a complete football team. They oveerachieved last season. Going into this draft, the Patriots had holes at LT, OG, RB, DE, OLB, WR, and CB. That's a ton of holes for a 14-2 team. BB addressed the need on the OL with a LT (Solder), an OG (Cannon), and a blocking TE (Smith). He also addressed the RB position (Vereen and Ridley), and CB (Dowling). It's too much to expect that BB would be able to fill all these holes in one draft.      

Add to this that our perceived hole at DE may not be a hole in BB eyes.  T warren, M Stroud, et al may be fine in BB's eyes.  OLB is the hole, with Nink, Moore, etc.  He might not have seen the guy he thought was a fit.  UFA may be his path to fill that hole, or even a trade.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD :      Kentucky Babe: Again, I think you're being too harsh on BB. How many teams have been as successful as the Pats over this past decade? True...they were one and done two years in a row, with playoff losses at home.      In 2009, they lost one of their biggest offensive weapons, Wes Welker, for the year. You must admit that BB has improved his defense after that loss, with the additions of Devin McCourty, Brandon Spikes, Ras-I Dowling, Jermaine Cunnigham, Kyle Arrington, Dane Fletcher, Eric Moore, Brandon Deaderick, and Rob Ninkovich.       In 2010, they lost to the Jets. Admittedly, the "D" made Jets QB Sanchez look like Joe Montana. But, it can also be argued that the strength of the team, the offense, llost that game. Tom Brady threw that awful interception, killing what appeared to be a TD drive. TE Alge Crumpler had a horrible drop of a TD pass in the next series. There was also that ill advised, poorly executed fake punt late in the first half, which gift-wrapped a FG for the Jets. The OL played poorly, as Tom Brady was taken out of his comfort zone. This from Rick Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News:      "The Patriots finished the 2010 regular season with the best record in the NFL at 14-2. But for the second consecutive post-season, New England was beaten at home in its first playoff game.      The problem was pass protection — Brady was sacked five times by the Jets and eight times total in those two January losses. Belichick needed to find someone who could help keep Brady upright in the pocket.": http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/NFL_Draft_Patriots_Belichick_05-02-11_V0NRVPN_v2.aa61a0.html      The Pats are coming off an incredible 14-2 season. LT Matt Light is a fading, UFA ...who needed to be replaced. Don't you agree that protecting Tom Brady is job one? So...the selection of OT Nate Solder at #17 was necessitated.       The disappointing play of CB Darius Butler, the fact that Kyle Arrington is best suited as a reserve, and the aging Leigh Bodden coming back from a season ending injury necessitated the selection of CB Ras-I Dowling. Unlike past Pats' CB picks, he's a tall corner, who stands nearly 6'2". He'll help put the clamps on tall WRs, like the Jets' Braylon Edwards.       One can argue that DE/OLB Jabaal Sheard would have been the better choice. Because BB says that it takes several years for a hybrid player like Sheard to learn the position...and due to the high rate of busts for these type of players. Plus, as described above, the Pats needed another CB...especially a tall CB.      I tend to agree with you about how BB handled the 56th and 60th picks. I think he could have gotten more value than he did. But, the value at that point wasn't necessarily on the defensive side of the ball...except perhaps for OLB/DE Justin Houston. RB Mikel Leshoure and WRs Torrey Smith and Randall Cobb were also both available. Shane Vereen may be a good player, but likely could have been had at pick #74.       Still, who am I to second guess BB? He has scouting reports and information on players, that neither of us have access to. We can't discount his acquisition of an additional first and second round pick in 2012. Furthermore, getting QB Ryan Mallett and OT/OG Marcus Cannon with the 74th and 138th overall, respectively, could turn out to be steals.       Even though the Pats went 14-2 last year, they were far from a complete football team. They oveerachieved last season. Going into this draft, the Patriots had holes at LT, OG, RB, DE, OLB, WR, and CB. That's a ton of holes for a 14-2 team. BB addressed the need on the OL with a LT (Solder), an OG (Cannon), and a blocking TE (Smith). He also addressed the RB position (Vereen and Ridley), and CB (Dowling). It's too much to expect that BB would be able to fill all these holes in one draft.      

You are an intelligent and reasonable Pat's fan, so it is a pleasure to discuss this with you. I'm really not that hard on BB. I just don't rationalize his every move as the perfect one.

He is an outstanding COACH. He is a shrewd trader.

His team building skills overall are above average but lack well behind his coaching skills. He is far from the head of the class in drafting or FA signing. His legend was primarily built on the three SB wins and those were gained largly by having a number of outstanding players he did not acquire. He has benifitted greatly by having a HOF QB for most of his years with the Pats. His record without Brady has been rather dismal, making the playoffs only once in 7 tries. His collossal blunder of spygate boggles the mind.

Actually, Brady's PR in the playoff loss to the jets was right about on his career playoff number. But yeah, he obviously didn't play his best. But I can almost assure you, if you allow a career 70 passer who has thrown more picks than TDs to put up a 127, you are going to lose.

BB has tried to fix the D. But high picks like Butler, Spikes, Cunningham, Chung, Brace, Wheatley and Merriwheather have done little to fix the problem. Seven picks in the 2nd round or better on D and we have a dismal D to show for it. Nobody is winning a SB with a D this bad.

The offense clearly was not a problem last year. So the holes you mention have a priority. The formula for success in the league these days is an elite QB and a stout D. Other formulas can work but are not nearly as likely. The very strong O and blah D formula will win you a ton of games during the season but when you face good D in the playoffs your outstanding O just might get stopped and you need that stout D to keep you in it.

Basically, BB has turned us into the Colts. And this draft shows just more of the same failed philosophy. I would have preferred he traded up a few spots to get Quinn and taken Carimi at 28. I have no real problem with him going for a CB with 33. I had the needs as OLB, OL, DE, CB in that order.

I don't see much of a change to the team from this draft. We are still the Colts North. Maybe he will sign a FA that will dazzle me and change that perception.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]And you're a Jets troll. You are not fooling anyone with this act. "Dismal" does not mean you lead the NFL for a month in points allowed with a very tough schedule, nor does it mean you lead the NFL in turnover differential or end up 2nd in takeaways. NE finished 9 points (allowed) behind the Jets. So, is the Jets D "dismal" too? Keep in mind, the Jets D is a veteran D.  NE's is learning how to play as a group under a microscope. Trolls like yourself won't win this debate. Your time is over.   Please film your suicide attempt when NE wins another SB.  We'd all love to have a laugh.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

Don't be asinine. They led in turnover differential because Brady had one of if not the greatest season in history taking care of the ball.

I said dismal. I was correct.

All done with your insults and sick suggestions.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Here are some cold, hard football facts on the Patriots' drafting prowess over the past decade: http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_3749_Decade_in_the_making%3A_the_ultimate_NFL_draft_grades.html

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD : Don't be asinine. They led in turnover differential because Brady had one of if not the greatest season in history taking care of the ball. I said dismal. I was correct.  All done with your insults and sick suggestions.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

It seems you let his name calling get under your skin a bit and you may have missed it.  The Pats were 2nd in takeaways.  It's the second part of that ratio.

As far as the dismal comment goes I think you're rushing to conclusions a bit fast.  The defense is young.  We'll see better stuff this year if there is a year.  

Most of the DL was on the disabled list for that Jets game.  Look at the guys the Pats had to bring in to finish the season with.  They were not going to win any SB with the DL in the shape they were in that's for sure.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]     Here are some cold, hard football facts on the Patriots' drafting prowess over the past decade: http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_3749_Decade_in_the_making%3A_the_ultimate_NFL_draft_grades.html

Sorry TP but, while I am a big fan of CHFF (mostly Byrne) that is a poor assessment by almost every measure. A few points...

According to that the best player Belichick has come up with in 10 long years is Asante Samuel? No wonder we haven't won a SB in 6 years!

And that AV rating from PFR.com that is such a big part of their measure places Manning 3rd all-time and Brady 52nd. So much for that idiotic rating system and the idiot that wrote the article.

Only the Chargers have had more guys than the pats squeak into the pro-bowl, and they haven't won squat in the last 6 years, just like the Pats.

It's kind of important to actually draft the kinds of players you NEED rather than just brag you have the most warm bodies still hanging around the league.

Two TEs, two RBs, a punter and a QB, drafted relatively high in the last two drafts when you need big-time defensive players badly, is not optimal drafting no matter how many measuarables look good on paper.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD : It seems you let his name calling get under your skin a bit and you may have missed it.  The Pats were 2nd in takeaways.  It's the second part of that ratio. As far as the dismal comment goes I think you're rushing to conclusions a bit fast.  The defense is young.  We'll see better stuff this year if there is a year.   Most of the DL was on the disabled list for that Jets game.  Look at the guys the Pats had to bring in to finish the season with.  They were not going to win any SB with the DL in the shape they were in that's for sure.
    Posted by garytx[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say he got under my skin by name calling. Caring more about Hoodie than the good of our team might do it though. And there is a hell of a lot of that around.

As far as jumping to conclusions I can only go by what reality is. Reality is this D has not been good. They are young and things might change, but they usually don't. Butler isn't likely to turn into a shut down corner for example. Hoping for guys who have not shown they can play at a high level early to magically improve  is a fool's errand. The good ones usually show what they are made of soon enough. There are occasional exceptions. This team needed another stud for the OLB and BB did not get that done. He's too interested in punters, TEs and RBs.

Hey, maybe he will dazzle us with a trade or FA signing. But his FA signings have mostly been fails.

On the takeaways, they were nothing special with forced fumbles, and while they did lead the league with 25 INTs they also were the second most passed on team with 38.2 att/game. The more balls thrown, the more chances to pick it off. the Packers with 24 were much more impressive as they had 75 less passes thrown at them. But he was talking differential anyway, and the takeaways, while a bright spot for an otherwise diamal D, were not the earth shattering part of that. Brady's best ever season for keeping the ball was.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilMick. Show LilMick's posts

I love Texas Pat 3's post and Canadian Pat's reply. It wasn't a bad draft. B- is reasonable. I had it more in the C range because BB has led the Pats to an 0-3 record in play-off games and a defensive end (to replace Seymour) or a stud OLB to replace Vrabel was selected.  Yes, Belichick knows more than me about his team but I am not the only one who is questioning the master. Mark Schlereth had great comments on NFL Live and Marcellus Wiley backed him up. Vince Lombardi has said "Winning isn't everything; it's the only thing." BB has to internalize "Winning it all is everything!" With his strategy the Pats will be successful for years to come but play-off success is more important than regular season success.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD : He inherited some key vets on defense (McGinest, Bruschi, Law) and brilliantly built a dynasty.   Players BB acquired to build Super bowl teams include among others: Drafted: Brady, Seymour, Light, Neal, Givens, Branch, Graham, J Green, Warren, Wilfork, Samuel  (picking near the bottom of the draft for the better partof a decade!) FA signings include Pleasant, Phifer, Hamilton, Washington, Dillon, Antoine Smith, Vrabel, Harrison Trades include Welker, Moss. Give it a rest already.  The guy has delivered the one of wiinningest team in league history over a ten year period (wins, streaks, titles, SB appearances, playoff record) all without a losing season.  Noll, Landry, Shula, Jimmy Johnson, Walsh - NONE of them sustained success without losing years for that duration.  Now he has rebuilt the team on the fly and our down period is 14-2 with an incredibly young defense? I trust him infinitely more than anyone else to build a winning team.  If he quit NE tomorrow,  80% (if not 100%) of the teams in the NFL would be trying to hire him the next day.
    Posted by Encinitas[/QUOTE]

Half the key players on the 2001 team were not BB's. And key players remained on the other dynasty teams that he did not bring in.

Generally, you note the good but ignore the bad about Belichick. It's a free country, but you're kidding yourself.

Do you think BB agreeing with his scout and taking Brady in the 6th round was because BB is a genius ahead of everybody else, or just luck?

There is a two word reason we have not won a SB in 6 years. Those words are Bill Belichick. There is a two word reason we won 3 SBs in 4 years. Those words are Tom Brady.

When Brady goes Belichick will revert to what he was before Brady came along - just another guy looking for a Brady.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Babe, keep on focusing on the bad, the rest of us will enjoy the unparalleled success Belichick has brought this team. I know, it's Super Bowls you want. Well, I see five in a row starting this season.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSONE. Show PATSONE's posts

Hi Texas PAT, I just wanted to say how much I enjoy your postings and thanks for the link to the cold hard football facts article on the past decade's draft grades.  I would have thought that the PATs wouldn't have done as well as they indicated. 

As far a the non-pick of a pass rusher goes, it concerned me at first, but I think BB will plug this hole in the PATS D via free agency and player development.

Remember a)  we have players that were drafted in 2009 & 2010 that BB is still trying to develop, from what I have heard it usually take 1-2 year to learn BB system.  b) we had players that were injured prior to the playoff loss to the JET or were on IR last year that are coming back and the pass rush and coverage go hand in hand. c)  BB is also still trying to retool the team.  There were many holes that needed to be filled and they all can't be filled at once.  Most teams that are rebuilding go through as series of losing seasons  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Hi Texas PAT, I just wanted to say how much I enjoy your postings and thanks for the link to the cold hard football facts article on the past decade's draft grades.  I would have thought that the PATs wouldn't have done as well as they indicated.

RESPONSE: When assessing New England's drafts over the past decade, one has to keep in mind that the Pats are always drafting near the end of every round. Yet, they have managed to win more games than any other team over that span. Though they don't necessarily add super-star players, seemingly every year they add a couple of new starters, and reserves. They are continually rebuilding/upgrading their roster. Their philosophy is to build their team with a corp of capable, versatile, middle-class type players. This gives them a strong 53 man roster, from top to bottom...and enables them to withstand the ravages of injuries better than any other team in the league.

As far a the non-pick of a pass rusher goes, it concerned me at first, but I think BB will plug this hole in the PATS D via free agency and player development. Remember a)  we have players that were drafted in 2009 & 2010 that BB is still trying to develop, from what I have heard it usually take 1-2 year to learn BB system.  b) we had players that were injured prior to the playoff loss to the JET or were on IR last year that are coming back and the pass rush and coverage go hand in hand. c)  BB is also still trying to retool the team.  There were many holes that needed to be filled and they all can't be filled at once.  Most teams that are rebuilding go through as series of losing seasons

RESPONSE: If a top level pass-rusher was available to the Pats at pick #28 or 33, BB would likely have taken him. What the nay-sayers and the Mel Kipers of the world need to understand is that the Pats have their own set of scouting reports. They look for good, smart, versatile players that will fit their system. They also look to maximize value on every draft pick they have. The Pats had to take a LT to replace 33 year old, UFA Matt Light, at pick #17. Not only was there value at the OT spot at that point in the draft, but there was also a major need.
    Posted by PATSONE[/QUOTE]

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from flag-waiver. Show flag-waiver's posts

By judging players before they do there job in the NFL is stupid.

Comparing them to others is stupid, because every team is different.

Give the players a chance and the coaches the time to work with them.

Some of you people are the players fired before they play, and have others as being the best ever. 

I hope some of you guys are not pop warner coaches. Think Balance...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

Seems to me that this was OUR YEAR to "go for it"! We had all the great draft picks! We'll see...but if we dont't get a great OLB in free agency, I'm very baffled and disappointed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD : You're dumb or a troll. I think it's the latter. You do a very good job of posing as  a Pats fan. You sneak in a complimentary comment here and there to play it off like you are a Pats fan, so good job.  But, it's still a little obvious to me. Go look at Bill  Polian's drafts, for example. Many feel he is the bellwether GM in the NFL. Then, look at Belichick's drafts, overall.  2003, 2004, 2010, 2009, 2005 are his best drafts.  2011 looks quite good on paper.  2006 and 2008 are weak, with 2006 being the worst on paper. Again, you are either a troll or very dumb/irrational with limited brain capacity.  Most GMs would rather have the success rate of NE's drafts than you would, apparently. If Bill Belichick could have kept every draft pick, since 2000, when he started drafting here, I am not sure this team wouldn't have 2 more SBs under their belt.  2006 is one example. Deion Branch held out in 2006.  Chalk up a lost SB there.  When Reche Caldwell is your best WR in 2006, a Deion Branch sure would have been nice. Asante Samuel wanted to get paid. Seymour cost too much and was due for a new deal. Maybe 2009 would have been 14-2, instead of 11-5/10-6?  Maybe 2009 was another SB or deep playoff run? It's highly likely is Brady does not go down in 2008 and there wasn't a cap in 2008, NE makes another run at 16-0 with the same team.   Do the math. They won 11 games with Matt Cassel in 2008.   That's more like 14, 15 or 16 with Brady in 2008. Shall I keep going?  The reality is, many drafted players under BB are coached up so well, their value in the market is bloated and some leave.  This is the cap era, Einstein. Belichick makes it look easy with his hands tied under cap restrictions.  Other GMs do a nice job as well. Some GMs, like AJ SMith, out in SD do a nice job, but they have flaws.  Look how fast the Carolina Panthers lost their edge.  Look at how GM of the year in 2007, after one good draft, beats NE in the SB because of it.   But, since then, what? What BB has done to plug the holes on the fly even during the Dynasty era, and now into the mini-rebuild we just watched, is flat out incredible on a historical NFL level. It will be referenced in the annals of NFL lore decades after we are dead and buried. His approach to the infrastructure here with what he wants out of his scouts, what they look for in prospects, how they coach and what they allocate in terms of money to each position is essentially unparalleled, with only Pitt and Indy in the same discussion.  Maybe Philly as well. The Giants are strong with this, too, generally speaking. Green Bay brought in Ted Thomspon after Ron Wolf and Thompson is mirroring Belichick. He fired Favre, got a return on him and basically saw Brady in Aaron Rodgers.  Look at the formulas. Dimitrioff is channeling this in Atlanta.  Pioli, obviously, now in KC. Everyone is trying to mirror BB's approach, essentially. Polian has his own that works somewhat well, but it's not better than BB's.  This is the point. You aren't getting better than what you see right here. Note when the players leave, they ain't quite as good elsewhere.  Not a coincidence. Even drafting Matt Cassel in Round 7 in 2005, and 4 years later scoring a #34 overall to draft Pat Chung, simply because he's the first GM to ever tag a back up at 16 million, was utter genius. GENIUS. No one else has done that. That in itself is a microcosm of why Belichick is as good as any GM who ever lived, and the best in the cap era.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

This is a load of hooey.

So I have to prove I'm a Pat's fan? Just becuse somebody doesn't drink the simpleton fan's Hoodie kool-aide doesn't make them a troll. Just because they don't overrate every scrub player on the team doesn't make them one either. If I told you I was a fan when they played in Fenway, or about the million potholes in the Shaeffer parking lot, or seeing John Huarte and Joe Bellino in the same backfield for the Pats, that wouldn't convince you since you're so brilliant.

What if I took a pic of my beat up corduroy Pat Patriot hat with my hand giving you the finger, would that work?

Polian isn't a very great GM. Otherwise he would have more success than he has had. It seems rather than others "mirroring" Hoodie, he is "mirroring" Polian, since he has been abvle to duplicate the feat of going one and out so well.

People aren't "mirroring" Hoodie, they are doing what has always been done. They are trying to build a championship team. If they were mirroring Hoodie they would be incessantly trading away their draft picks while their HOF QB was getting older by the day. They would be signing FA LBs who just don't get it done.

The Cassel thing was a no-brainer. Brady got hurt, they had the easiest schedule in memory, Cassel put up some numbers because of that, you tag him and trade him because somebody who needds a QB will be impressed by those numbers. That's not GENIUS. Only an IDIOT would have not done that.

The bottom line, the fact is, in 7 seasons without the HOF QB Hoodie has made the playoffs once. With the HOF QB he has made the playoffs 9 out of 10 times.