Patriots Draft REPORT CARD

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD

In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD:
    [QUOTE]FALSE. Taping is allowed during the game.  The ejection of said tape is not allowed.  This was proven and corrborated.  Instead of sending out the rule, the memo should have also had a description as to WHY the memo was being sent out. If the Pats or any other team had not been personally reprimanded, why would any human think they had done something wrong before? Explain why Goodell's own NFL personnel, with numerous apparent examples via NE, did not address this "violation" prior to 2007. Thanks. PS No one said Goodell should have down nothing, but keep in mind, no one knew abotu the rules nor the memo prior to the insanely jealous Jets taking it upon themselves to play police.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

TRUE

" In a September 2006 memorandum sent out by NFL Vice President of Football Operations Ray Anderson, though, all teams were told that "videotaping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent's offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches' booth, in the locker room, or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game."

What is unclear about that to you, or would have been unclear to BB?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]He built this thing, dumbo.  WHo drafted Brady?  You call it "luck", yet the weight they put into the intangibles of the players they draft is why they took him. Read up, son. Same deal with Cassel.  They banked on Casssel being hungry after being slapped around at USC.  They like the character of these humans.  Guess who believes in this concept? Belichick. You want to give Brady ALL the credit, as a to way to disparage Belichick, for some straneg reason.  Yet, Belichick is the one who drafted Brady coached him with Rhebein and Weis, and gave him the reins in 2001.  Any version of dumbos like yourself disparaing this history for your own personal agenda is ridiculous. Yet, you used to sit at Nickerson Field and the old crappy Foxboro Stadium, eh?

HE built a team that has gone 0 for the last 6 in winning a SB, 5-5 in the last 10 playoff games, and one and out the last 2 years. THAT'S what HE built.

He PARTIALLY built a team that won 3 SBs in 4 years.

So, you don't think it's luck to get a HOF QB with a 6th round pick?

Cassel is nothing special. He has had a couple good seasons playing weak teams. That's it.

Yeah, I'm going to give Brady all the credit for going out on the field and being great.

BB played Brady when Bledsoe got hurt because of what Brady was doing at practice; otherwise he would have played somebody else. He kept playing him because of what he was doing in games. You act like BB was being charitable by sticking with Brady. He stuck with him because of what BRADY did.

(I never went to Nickerson or Fenway to see the Pats. I did see Plunkett play for them at Shaeffer though.)

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]Where the taping is. That's what is unclear. "Any other locations" on the road accessible to staff.  This is why they specify the locations.  So, if it's true this memo was sent out and NE brought their crew on the road in that GB game, as reported, why didn't the NFL punish NE at that point?   Do they not know their own rule?  Hmm. The home team is supposed to provide a proper location, but MAYBE, just maybe not giving the road team a spot and then claiming it's in violation is really nothing more than gamesmanship that had gone on for decades? Wouldn't that explain why NFL personnel stood there watching, just making sure the tape never left the camera? Uh-huh. It sure would. Why did it take a home opener, in NY, the first game after NY was reported to have not been within the full rule in Foxborough in January 2007? The reality is, the rule is so convoluted, no one knew what the rule was intended to do. If the risk of filming for a potential future advantage was the fear, just ban filming outright.

The memo stated there is no taping from those places. They were taping from one of those places. Period. They were caught in the act. This wasn't an after the fact incident.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD : Wasn't Joe Montana a 3rd rd pick? Unitas was drafted in Round 9. What is the point about the round?  Who cares?  You never know what a player is made of until he plays in the NFL and what the environment is. It's a match made  in heaven for Pats fans. Fate. But, without the enviroment built here by BB, there is no way Brady and the Pats as a team would have been able to sustain this. Belichick also made the moves to bring Moss and Welker here for fleece job trades, setting up Brady's record breaking 2007 season.

The third round is pretty high.

So, they got lucky with Unitas too. It happens. Infrequently. That's why it's luck.

I have said BB is a great coach. I have said he is a good trader. He is just not a great drafter or FA signer. Unfortunately, the later two are crucial parts of being a team builder and that explains the recent lack of success. Despite these things and spygate I have not said BB was not a great thing to happen to the team. Kraft just needs to get a good GM and let BB coach and have some influence on the decisions.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]RESPONSE: I strongly doubt that...90% of football fans aren't stupid, and realize that "spygate" was a bunch of b.s.. Furthermore, 90% of all football fans wish that BB were running their team.   What source do you have that shows 90% of all football fans wish BB was running their team? And what is the worth of a majority of fans opinions anyway? It's not worth as much as an actual fact is it? I don't think BB arrogantly giving the finger to the league memo is a bunch of BS. I rather think it is reprehensible behavior. His irresponsible action has put a scarlet letter on our team.

RESPONSE: Kentucky Babe...to quote John McEnroe, "You cannot be serious"!! Ask fans of the Bills, Dolphins, Bengals, Browns, Raiders, Chiefs, Chargers, Broncos, Jaguars, Titans, Texans, Cowboys, Giants, Redskins, Vikings, Bears, Lions, Panthers, Buccaneers, Cardinals, Seahawks, Rams, and 49ers if they'd like to have BB running their team. If BB were fired today, he'd have ten lucrative job offers by tomorrow...and Bob Kraft would be run out of town.  

RESPONSE:  If Brady is so important to the team, wouldn't you agree that the #1 need is for the team to have a first rate OL to protect him? Matt Light is a fading, 33 year old LT, and an UFA. He must be replaced. So...BB takes perhaps the best LT prospect available in Nate Solder. But now you appear to be advocating that DE Cameron Jordan should have been the Pats' choice choice at #17, and RT prospect, Gabe Carimi, should have been taken at pick #28.  For the sake of argument, let's say that Carimi would have been available at #28. Would you rather have Jordan and Carimi, or Solder, the 56th overall pick in 2011, and the Saints' #1 pick in 2012?      Furthermore, I reject your assertion that "the party is over" when Brady leaves. The party may be over when BB leaves. I listed the needs for this draft as OLB, OL, DE. CB. So I was aware of the need for protection for Brady. You don't think the party will be over when Brady goes because you think the success is due to BB and I have shown that without Brady BB's success has been quite lacking. So, you're wrong there.

RESPONSE:  What have you shown me? The only evidence we have was in 2008, when BB led his team to 11 wins without Tom Brady.
    RESPONSE: BB is one of, if not the best coach of all-time. If he was able to win with Matt Cassell at QB...he'll find a guy who can do at least an adequate job, taking over for the "Terrific One", when that time comes. He might have that guy right now, in Brian Hoyer, or Ryan Mallett.   He was able to win some ganes with Cassel because the schedule was the easiest in memory. They lost aginst almost every good team they played including getting stomped by the Steelers when with Brady they had pretty much owned them. The fact is, a 1-15 Dolphins team the year before went 11-5 against that weak schedule and won the division. By what possible criteria can you estimate BB will do any better than his 1 for 7 record in making the playoffs without Brady?

RESPONSE: Your 1 for 7 without Brady argument is absurd. BB did not have the same amount of control over the Browns, as he has in New England. Furthermore, he was not the coach then, that he is today: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=3217121&sportCat=nfl 
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD : Again, you just don't "get it". The league sent out a memo saying to specifically stop taping. Any of those coaches you mention would not have put their team in jeopardy by continuing the practice in the face of such an obvious crackdown. What was Goodell supposed to do when BB was caught in direct defiance of the league ultimatum? Nothing? Yeah, he should not have slammed the team for BB's blunder. He should have just fined or suspended BB. It was his doing.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]Babe I've been reading your running diatribe with running with the king and unfortunately you can't substainiate any of your allegations of BB flagrantly dismissing the so called letter of the law by Col.Goodell of the NY Jets (commissioners office), When BB stated without impunity that he interpeted his dictive to be exactly how he placed his cameras,Goodell decided to become the arrogant fool that he is and implemented his authority against the organization that had defeated his former employers every year for the past ten years! Like the king said a witch hunt is just what it was and it did detract from the jaugernaut called the New England Patriots,finding fault with BB for Goodells mistakes and personel vendetta is not only playing the devils advocate but it is simply a bad take. Good luck to you and the rest of the haters who litter the BDC sports blogs. Like all things bad in life things that don't kill you generally make you stronger,I'm sure of BB's resolve too produce a winning atmosphere in Foxboro year in and year out.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD : Babe I've been reading your running diatribe with running with the king and unfortunately you can't substainiate any of your allegations of BB flagrantly dismissing the so called letter of the law by Col.Goodell of the NY Jets (commissioners office), When BB stated without impunity that he interpeted his dictive to be exactly how he placed his cameras,Goodell decided to become the arrogant fool that he is and implemented his authority against the organization that had defeated his former employers every year for the past ten years! Like the king said a witch hunt is just what it was and it did detract from the jaugernaut called the New England Patriots,finding fault with BB for Goodells mistakes and personel vendetta is not only playing the devils advocate but it is simply a bad take. Good luck to you and the rest of the haters who litter the BDC sports blogs. Like all things bad in life things that don't kill you generally make you stronger,I'm sure of BB's resolve too produce a winning atmosphere in Foxboro year in and year out.
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

It's unfortunate you choose to label those who see a clear disregard for the rules of the league as haters. I guess a few of us Pat's fans just have more integrity than others.

The league memo was crystal clear. The memo was directly ignored and actions continued that were blatantly in violation of that memo. Case closed. The only problem here is that the team was punished for the idiotic actions on the coach.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]You aren't "caught" doing anything for hours in broad daylight.  Let's get that out of the way. Call it ignorance, arrogance, a mistake, or an opportunity for a jealous rival to get revenge for a year prior's incident in Foxborough. But, no one was "caught". The Jets weren't caught in Foxborough the year before, the NFL just shut down their camera down instead. You can't be "caught" when the rule had never been enforced before, regardless of "memos" sent out shotgun management style by a league commissioner.

Okay, I won't mince words. I am not aware that the "NFL" shut down the Jets camera. Elaborate.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

RESPONSE: Kentucky Babe...to quote John McEnroe, "You cannot be serious"!! Ask fans of the Bills, Dolphins, Bengals, Browns, Raiders, Chiefs, Chargers, Broncos, Jaguars, Titans, Texans, Cowboys, Giants, Redskins, Vikings, Bears, Lions, Panthers, Buccaneers, Cardinals, Seahawks, Rams, and 49ers if they'd like to have BB running their team. If BB were fired today, he'd have ten lucrative job offers by tomorrow...and Bob Kraft would be run out of town.  

If those teams we offered a choice between BB or Brady, who would they choose? Though the fact Brady isn't a kid anymore might influence the choice.

Yeah, the crappy teams would love to have BB. And there is nobody I would rather have than him as COACH of our team, despite the shame ands cost of spygate he brought upon us.

RESPONSE:  What have you shown me? The only evidence we have was in 2008, when BB led his team to 11 wins without Tom Brady.

I Have shown you that BB has been head coach in the NFL for 7 seasons without Brady as his QB and made the playoffs once in 7 tries. I have shown you that BB is 0 for the last 6 in SB wins, 5-5 in playoff games and one and out in the last 2 years with teams he entirely built.

RESPONSE: Your 1 for 7 without Brady argument is absurd. BB did not have the same amount of control over the Browns, as he has in New England. Furthermore, he was not the coach then, that he is today:

That is his record. That is a fact. I'm sorry the facts don't mesh with your notion - but there you have it.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD : Would moving Vollmer to LT be a reasonable rationale in that light TP? Also: Most that I have read on this guy (Carimi) simply says he would only need some technique coaching to play NFL LT.

Carimi isn't the prospect that Solder is. From everything I've read about the draft, no one is really taking issue with the Pats' decision to take Solder at #17. There also doesn't seem to be too much negativity over the Pats trading their 28th overall pick for the 56th selection, and the Saints #1 in 2012. The main complaint is oveer tthe selection of Ras-I Dowling at #33, over potential pass-rushers Jabaal Sheard and Brooks Reed...and the subsequent use of the Pats' 56th and 60th picks.

Here's a Cold, Hard Football Facts article which harshly criticizes the Pats for not addressing their pass-rusher problem: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/kerry_byrne/05/01/draft.grades/index.html?sct=nfl_wr_a2   

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

How could you possibly say Bill Belichick is a bad drafter? He's made so many solid choices. Take a guy like Eugene Wilson, say what you want about him but he was a dam solid contributor on super bowl teams. He drafts guys that quietly go out and do their job.David Givens, Deion Branch, not flashy big name guys but they sure helped win a super bowl. Answer this for me Babe, if he's a bad drafter how in the world have they managed to stay elite for 10+ years?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD : Like I said, you need to do homework before mouthing off. I suppose if NE had forced the NFL to make a scene, take their tape, leak it and force Goodell's hand, the Jets would have been the team strung up publicly, except no one would have cared. http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2007/12/12/2007-12-12_spy_for_a_spy_jets_started_video_battle-1.html Mangini was caught lying here: "I don't know," he said. "Really, it just was what it was. We had asked for permission, it was granted and then that changed, and we respect their decision. It's their stadium." - E. Manboobs This is not true, because the NFL is on the body that can enforce the rule, not a home team.  By rule, the home team has to provide a specified location if the road team chooses to film. I'd bet money any time in the past when petty inter-division antics cropped up, the NFL resolved them before the game started, during, OR we never heard about it. Yup. Mangini was caught lying as was Tannenbaum.  When NE pointed out the Jets violation in 2006 in Foxborough, this is why Tannenbaum was steamed, just waiting to pounce in Sept of 2007. For them (NFL) to shut down a camera, they'd have to find the Jest camera in the incorrect /"illegal" place.  Only NFL personnel can do facilitate this request if someone sees a violation.  So, like we keep saying, the convoluted rule and subsequent confusing enforcement and/or punishment of the rule is on Goodell. It's very clear, this situation was used to smear the Pats as revenge from 2006, but it happening in the Jets stadium in 2007. This was buried by the national media because it contradicts their premise. Edit: In fact, you could argue since this was done in 2006, after the memo was sent out, with NY in violation, this proves this kind of "violation" wasn't meant to be punished the way NE was punished in 2007. Yup.

Oh, that. I was just looking at that link earlier.

I though you were referring to something else because you were wrong in your statement.

You said "the NFL just shut down their camera down instead.".

The article states that "the incident wasn't reported to the league". Your statement says he NFL shut it down. It was the Pats who caught them, not the league.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]How could you possibly say Bill Belichick is a bad drafter? He's made so many solid choices. Take a guy like Eugene Wilson, say what you want about him but he was a dam solid contributor on super bowl teams. He drafts guys that quietly go out and do their job.David Givens, Deion Branch, not flashy big name guys but they sure helped win a super bowl. Answer this for me Babe, if he's a bad drafter how in the world have they managed to stay elite for 10+ years?
    Posted by CaptainZdeno33[/QUOTE]

Did I say he was bad? I think he is average, maybe slightly above average.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD : Would moving Vollmer to LT be a reasonable rationale in that light TP?

RESPONSE:  Vollmer could be moved to LT. But, what if Carimi were unavailable at #28? Do you want to see Nick "Turnstyle/Bad Back" Kazcur back at RT? Furthermore, if the Pats use the 28th pick on Carimi, they lose out on the Saints 56th pick this season, and #1 next.

Also: Most that I have read on this guy (Carimi) simply says he would only need some technique coaching to play NFL LT.

RESPONSE: He's not in Solder's class as an athlete. His footwork is lacking for a LT, as is his overall quickness. He's better suited to play RT or guard.  Here is a typical scouting report on both he, and Solder: http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=2416, and  http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=2431

From everything I've read about the draft, no one is really taking issue with the Pats decision to take Solder at #17, or the trade out from the 28th pick, in exchange for the 56th overall pick, and the Saints #1 in 2012. The main complaint lies with the selection of CB Ras-I Dowling at #33, over potential pass-rushers Jabaal Sheard and Brooks Reed...and the subsequent use of the Pats 56th and 60th overall picks.

Here's a Cold, Hard Football Facts article which completely agrees with you, Babe:  http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/kerry_byrne/05/01/draft.grades/index.html?sct=nfl_wr_a2    

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD : Did I say he was bad? I think he is average, maybe slightly above average.

Well you've been complaining about his draft since the day it happened. Give it a chance before you freak out

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD : And the fact is, years later, Modell admitted him announcing the Browns leaving Cleveland compromised BB's execution of building that franchise back correctly at the dawn of the cap era (1993). The fact is, Modell blew it by being cheap and scapegoating BB in Cleveland. By the 4th year, BB had cleared out the dead weight, promoted Testaverde to QB, who had them in the playoffs and was a Pro Bowl QB. Do your homework, Babe, or don't play with the big boys here.

You are the spin doctor. I am the facts doctor.

The facts are BB had one winning season in 5 with the Brownies. The facts are his record was 36-44 with them. The facts are his last season with them was the same 5-11 record he would have in his first year as Pat's HC (an 8-8 team the year before with Carrol, and a team with a winning record and playoff appearances 2 of the three prior years under Carrol) , then Brady came along and he started building his legend.

Without Brady BB has a 52 - 60 record. Without Brady his Pat's record is 16 - 16. I know facts get in the way of your spin, but - there they are.