Patriots Draft REPORT CARD

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoLongHarryTruman. Show SoLongHarryTruman's posts

Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD

In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD:
    In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD : I am lucky as hell Brady is here. Almost as lucky as Hoodie was picking him.
    Posted by BabeParilli

I don't think luck had much to do with it. 

Some journalist wrote a book after following BB around for most of the first year. I don't recall the name of the book. As he told it, BB gave scouts a detailed description of what he wanted in a QB. They came back with two names. One was TB. He picked Tom because of his work ethic, intelligence, and decision making. His only real question was why the Michigan coach kept pulling him out of games in favor of Drew Henson.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Welker was a trade but how bout putting Ted Washington on there too? Tyrone Poole started in 2003 too. Christian Fauria was another good one. How about Crump?

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD : I have noted a couple of times, BB is a pretty good trader. Well, other than Starks. But you're right, Washington did do a significantly good job for us. So, as I said, it's about 50/50 with the FAs. BB does two things well as a GM. He trades well, and he knows when a player of his  isn't worth the bucks. At the rest of the job, he is nothing special. (Oh yeah, the other signing you mention - non factors. I'm neither going to beat him up on those or praise him. They weren't high profile deals. Everybody picks up ok guys to fill out a roster. A lot isn't expected, and that's exactly what you usually get.)
    Posted by BabeParilli

You consider Tyrone Poole, who started at corner for the 2003 Superbowl season, to be a non-factor? He had 6 picks that year too lol

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD : What do you want me to say about Poole? He averaged 2.3 INTs and 7 games a year with the Pats. He never made a pro-bowl. There isn't a lot to say - average filler FA signing.
    Posted by BabeParilli

You can't give the guy credit for being a big part of a super bowl defense? He started the next season too but got hurt. For what they paid him he was more than just an 'average filler FA signing'.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dna53. Show dna53's posts

I agree with these guys http://60maxpowero.com/draftermath3.html

http://60maxpowero.com/draftermath1.html

http://60maxpowero.com/draftermath2.html

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD : Of course that excludes this recent draft. By miss I mean a high draft pick that did not do any more than be a ho hum starter - if that. Those aren't the kind of player defenses that can win a SB are made of. Cunningham, Spikes, Chung, Brace, Butler, Wheatley, McKenzie and Crable would be misses. McCourty and Mayo would be hits. That's 91% of a defensive 11, drafted high in 3 straight drafts (72% if you subtract Crable and McKenzie, 3rd rounders.) That is also a 20% success rate of choosing outstanding players with high draft picks over that time (or 25% if only rounds 1 + 2). Despite throwing immense resources at the problem (which is only a problem because of failures even further back in time) the defense is not of SB quality by any means. The 4 years prior to that the D was largely ignored with only Wilfork and Merriweather to show for it. Guys like Kareem Brown, Hobbs and Hill were sprinkled in during that dearth. No wonder the D has gone to hell. And despite this we just went through a draft loaded with front 7 guys and we come away with an iffy CB, nothing for the front 7 at all and are drafting OLs too high plus a QB we don't need. That isn't the skill of a genius. Frankly, I suspect the average fan could have done as well, or better - that's how lame it is.
    Posted by BabeParilli

"And despite this we just went through a draft loaded with front 7 guys and we come away with an iffy CB, nothing for the front 7 at all and are drafting OLs too high plus a QB we don't need. That isn't the skill of a genius. Frankly, I suspect the average fan could have done as well, or better - that's how lame it is. "

i'm just laughing...
    the thing about humor is, its funny when there's some truth in it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSONE. Show PATSONE's posts

n Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD:

I have a tendency to think grading the draft just by the players picked is faulty.  Remember that during 2003, 2004 2005 we were in contention for a SB.  Who during these years are you going to cut on D and replace with a 3+ round draft pick?  We retooled in 2006 and 2007 due to the new Napolian rules and were 2 minutes away from winning another SB in 2007, so did BB's draft system work?  Was Moss & Welker worth the picks we gave for them?  And by giving away the draft picks for Moss & Welker did our draft for 2007 suffer? 

I would rather be a contender every year then be told we had a great draft!

I think BabePqarilli does have a point thought.  Just look at what his team the yets have done over the last 4 or 5 drafts.  They are by far the better drafters.  And it really shows in all of the Division titles, Conference championships and Super Bowls that they have won over that time.

Sections
Shortcuts