Patriots Draft REPORT CARD

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD

In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD:
    [QUOTE]And Bill Walsh coached Joe MOntana.  How many more times are you going to be exposed here, Babe? Can anyone name a great coach who didn't have a great QB?  Some QBs may have made their coaches look better, sure.  Tony Dungy comes to mind. As does George Seifert with Steve Young. But, the classic all time coaches and QBs go hand in hand.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

You haven't exposed me once. Nor has anybody else. Your spin is just that. Spin, not fact.

Great QBs make great coaches. For the most part, the great coaches didn't do diddly without the great QB (or other great players). Yet the great QBs did quite well with whomever the coach was, assuming they had a decent team around them.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD : Not a great FA signer?  lol!!! He's the best FA GM in the last 10 years, bar none.  Rarely overpays, most of the time gets a fit that helps in some fashion, etc. He's notorious for spreading out a pool of money to spend in FA and getting multiple players to help the team. How do you think he worked in the 2001, 2003 and 2004 SB years? Do we need to make a list of smart, free agent pieces that contributed to those teams?  Are you sure you are a Pats fan? He's not going to overpay, yes.  But, saying he isn't shrewd by signing low brow FAs, trying to catch lightning in a bottle, is completely inaccurate.

Were Beisel, Chad Brown, Colvin and Thomas great FA signings worthy of the moniker of "the best FA GM in the last 10 years, bar none.". I don't think so. He has missed on at least as many as he has hit.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD : Well you've been complaining about his draft since the day it happened. Give it a chance before you freak out
    Posted by CaptainZdeno33[/QUOTE]

I've been complaining about his team building skills for a few years now. I hope I'm wrong and we win 3-4 SBs in a row. But I see the problem of not winning it all for 6 years straight, the problem of going 5-5 in the last 10 playoff games and going one and out the last two years as directly attributible to his mediocre team building skills. This dfraft is just more of the same old.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD :      From everything I've read about the draft, no one is really taking issue with the Pats decision to take Solder at #17, or the trade out from the 28th pick, in exchange for the 56th overall pick, and the Saints #1 in 2012. The main complaint lies with the selection of CB Ras-I Dowling at #33, over potential pass-rushers Jabaal Sheard and Brooks Reed...and the subsequent use of the Pats 56th and 60th overall picks.      Here's a Cold, Hard Football Facts article which completely agrees with you, Babe:   http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/kerry_byrne/05/01/draft.grades/index.html?sct=nfl_wr_a2     
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

It's not that Solder was a bad pick in itself. It's perhaps where he was taken, that it was him taken and that the defensive needs were not properly addressed. Unfortunately, the swings and misses on replacing nearly 3/4 of the D with high picks the last 3 years may be a big part of that issue.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoLongHarryTruman. Show SoLongHarryTruman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD : I am lucky as hell Brady is here. Almost as lucky as Hoodie was picking him.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

I don't think luck had much to do with it. 

Some journalist wrote a book after following BB around for most of the first year. I don't recall the name of the book. As he told it, BB gave scouts a detailed description of what he wanted in a QB. They came back with two names. One was TB. He picked Tom because of his work ethic, intelligence, and decision making. His only real question was why the Michigan coach kept pulling him out of games in favor of Drew Henson.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD : Were Beisel, Chad Brown, Colvin and Thomas great FA signings worthy of the moniker of "the best FA GM in the last 10 years, bar none.". I don't think so. He has missed on at least as many as he has hit.

Colvin, when healthy, was a pretty good player. But the rest, no. It's important to remember that the great majority of the fans and the media loved these signings...and praised BB and the Pats for them. 

Oh excuse me, Babe...aren't you forgetting FA signings Mike Vrabel, Rodney Harrison, Wes Welker, Gary Guyton, Randall Gay, Anthony Pleasant, Roman Pfeiffer, Bobby Hamilton, Gerard Warren, Rob Ninkovich, Dane Fletcher, Larry Izzo, Joe Andruzzi, Stephen Neal, Dan Connelly, BJGE, Antowain Smith, Otis Smith, David Patten, Bryan Cox, and Danny Woodhead...or...don't they count?    

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Welker was a trade but how bout putting Ted Washington on there too? Tyrone Poole started in 2003 too. Christian Fauria was another good one. How about Crump?

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD : Wrong. Only the NFL can action the request.  If the team was not in violation, the home team cannot shut any road team's camera down. Read the rule. You either have massive comprehension issues or are doing this to be a combative troll posing as a Pats fan.

Wrong again Burger King. Gillete Stadium Officials ordered that he had to leave, not the league.

http://slumz.boxden.com/f16/newsday-jets-caught-cheating-too-1017861/

The location they were taping from was not specifically outlawed in the league memo anyway.

And how you think you win this is a mystery. Even if what you say is true, which it isn't, the obvious conclusion would be the league should have penalized the Jets as well. It doesn't justify BB's foolish action.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD : In his 3 years in NE, Adalius Thomas was a part of a SB team, a Pro Bowler, had a solid 2008 season and then blew up in 2009. Considering they had him for 3 years, 2 of the 3, were good years.  So, no, it was not a bad signing. Montey Beisel and Chad Brown were dirt cheap and did not work out. Yes. Is that all you have over 10 years?  It's like a 5:1 ration if you want to play this game.  For every 5 good signings, he has 1 bad one. Swing and a miss again, Baby. His worst was trading for Duane Starks, but his solid undrafted signing moves like with a Randall Gay or drafting Ellis Hobbs ended up helping fix that problem.

Wrong yet again Burger King. Don't fret, sooner or later you're apt to get at least one right. I have faith in you.

PFR does not show AT as being a pro-bowler for the Pats. He did average a whopping 4.8 sacks a year for them though. But generally, when you just dump a high profile FA before the contract is up - it didn't go too well.

Other than Harrison or Vrabel I can't think of one FA signing by him that was much more than a yawn.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]We could go on and on...Keith Traylor, Larry Centers, Dedric Ward in 2003, Russ Hochstein, etc.  Many players came right in and found a role, even if it was small.  Babe names 3 or 4 bad names and we can name upwards of 20 throughout the last decade that either played on a playoff team or teams or whom contributed to 3 rings. Even Josh Miller was a better punter than Ken Walter.  Another good signing. And the underrated signings with his undrafted free agents are also notable.

This is you going "on and on"; a bunch of scrubs? You're getting desperate hot shot.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]Welker was a trade but how bout putting Ted Washington on there too? Tyrone Poole started in 2003 too. Christian Fauria was another good one. How about Crump?

I have noted a couple of times, BB is a pretty good trader. Well, other than Starks. But you're right, Washington did do a significantly good job for us. So, as I said, it's about 50/50 with the FAs.

BB does two things well as a GM. He trades well, and he knows when a player of his  isn't worth the bucks. At the rest of the job, he is nothing special.

(Oh yeah, the other signing you mention - non factors. I'm neither going to beat him up on those or praise him. They weren't high profile deals. Everybody picks up ok guys to fill out a roster. A lot isn't expected, and that's exactly what you usually get.)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD : I have noted a couple of times, BB is a pretty good trader. Well, other than Starks. But you're right, Washington did do a significantly good job for us. So, as I said, it's about 50/50 with the FAs. BB does two things well as a GM. He trades well, and he knows when a player of his  isn't worth the bucks. At the rest of the job, he is nothing special. (Oh yeah, the other signing you mention - non factors. I'm neither going to beat him up on those or praise him. They weren't high profile deals. Everybody picks up ok guys to fill out a roster. A lot isn't expected, and that's exactly what you usually get.)

You consider Tyrone Poole, who started at corner for the 2003 Superbowl season, to be a non-factor? He had 6 picks that year too lol

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD : You consider Tyrone Poole, who started at corner for the 2003 Superbowl season, to be a non-factor? He had 6 picks that year too lol

What do you want me to say about Poole? He averaged 2.3 INTs and 7 games a year with the Pats. He never made a pro-bowl. There isn't a lot to say - average filler FA signing.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD : What do you want me to say about Poole? He averaged 2.3 INTs and 7 games a year with the Pats. He never made a pro-bowl. There isn't a lot to say - average filler FA signing.

You can't give the guy credit for being a big part of a super bowl defense? He started the next season too but got hurt. For what they paid him he was more than just an 'average filler FA signing'.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD : You can't give the guy credit for being a big part of a super bowl defense? He started the next season too but got hurt. For what they paid him he was more than just an 'average filler FA signing'.

I wouldn't call him a scintillating FA signing overall. Not a bad one though, despite the short-lived usefullness.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dna53. Show dna53's posts

I agree with these guys http://60maxpowero.com/draftermath3.html

http://60maxpowero.com/draftermath1.html

http://60maxpowero.com/draftermath2.html

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots Draft REPORT CARD : It's not that Solder was a bad pick in itself. It's perhaps where he was taken, that it was him taken and that the defensive needs were not properly addressed. Unfortunately, the swings and misses on replacing nearly 3/4 of the D with high picks the last 3 years may be a big part of that issue.

Please specify your "swings and misses" on defense, over the past 3 years.

25. This post has been removed.