Patriots-Falcons Matchup?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Re: Patriots-Falcons Matchup?

I think the falcons e

are the type of team we see Collins in sub packages, after not many plays in games 1 ,2 he spiked up to 18

if our D line gets pressure we can stop them and maybe get picks

I know everyone likes Ryan but he doesn't have a great arm

Just survive a noisy 1st qtr and we can make a great statement game  but then Atl will be 1-3 and some will downplay the victory
    Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

http://prod.static.patriots.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/2013/500x305-thumbnails/game-preview/380-20130929-preview-tale-of-tape.gif

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1787546-atlanta-falcons-vs-new-england-patriots-breaking-down-atlantas-game-plan

Contain Gonzo, contain the Falcons?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/article-1/Wing-Tips-Falcons-vs-Patriots/c07fe9bc-18bf-4a69-b736-e32e9d749cb2

Here are some facts and tidbits about the matchup:

• Sunday night’s game marks the 13th meeting between the two clubs with the all-time series split at six games each.
    • The Patriots won the last meeting, taking a 26-10 win at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro
    • The all-time regular season series between the Falcons and Patriots is tied at 6-6
    • Falcons CB Asante Samuel was drafted by the Patriots in 2003 and spent five seasons in New England. Patriots T Will Svitek played three seasons in Atlanta from 2009-11
    • Through three games, the Falcons have seen 46.7 percent of their runs gaining four-or-more yards, which is the fifth highest percentage in the NFL.
    • Since 2010, the Falcons have scored 328 points off of turnovers, which is the second-highest total in the NFL during that time span behind the New England Patriots (406).
    • Week 3 marked Osi Umenyiora’s 17th multi-sack game. His teams are 12-5 when he posts two-or-more sacks.
    • Through three games, Atlanta’s defense is holding opponents to 79.0 yards per game and 3.8 yards per carry, which puts the Falcons back in the top 10 in terms of run defense.
    • P Matt Bosher has kicked off 16 times this season with 12 touchbacks. Falcons’ opponents have posted an average starting position of the 19.3 yard line after kickoffs through three games.
    • Since 2008, the Falcons have posted a 34-7 record at the Georgia Dome. The Falcons 34-7 record at home is the best mark in the NFC during that span and is the third best home record in the NFL over the last six seasons.
    • Head coach Mike Smith’s record against the AFC during the regular season is 16-5. Also, Smith currently has a 8-4 record during the regular season for night games (8 p.m. ET)
    • Falcons defensive line coach Ray Hamilton spent his entire nine-year NFL playing career in New England. He has also had a pair of coaching stints with the Patriots.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rbetourne. Show rbetourne's posts

I think Gronk does play--sparingly, and mostly as a decoy.  I think we abuse their linebackers.  This is a game where the rookie TE MUST/SHOULD have his coming out party.  With a heavy concentration on Gronk it should open it up for Sudfeld and whomever plays the slot to be wide open.  And I think the running game has to come into play--w/the three-headed monster of Ridley/Bolden/Blount.  Blount comes in the 4th quarter and just pounds.  Play actions off that--bam.  I do agree that the defensive scheme should be attacking the QB in this game vs. containment.  This will be a great measuring stick game.  Away/loud dome/potent offense.  Then we go on the road to play at Cincy---a very good defense.  That is a game where you make their QB and coach beat you----I don't think either happens.  Then the Saints at home--another good test.  If we come out of that 6-0 we will be rolling.   I don't think undefeated---but confidence on both sides of the ball would be very high--and by then Amendola/Vollmer/Vereen will be back/close to back.  Again--with as much negativity as the rookies have gotten--I still praise them for their ability to get behind defenses consistently (TB better rated D then Atlanta) and w/a fast track it might be an eye opener.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

Didn't St. Louis have a 'must win' game? How'd that work out for them? Falcons also have a bad fantasy defene.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

The key will be surviving the first quarter.  The Falcons have a habit of starting fast and fading late.  I think I read they've outscored their opponents 31-0 in the first quarter this year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I'll keep my thoughts on this game short and sweet. New England's offense comes to life Sunday night, despite the crowd noise, and we win this game 31-24.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

It should be close. I like the fact most pundits including Reiss are picking the falcons to win. no pressure. Just go out and do your job and the outcome should be good. Pats win by 3.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

My biggest concern is how the Pat's are going to defend Gonzales. I know gregory has been playing well this year but i don't like the match-up.

Agreed.  I don't know what the answer is there.  Might make sense to use a LB and Safety on him and let Talib do his thing on Jones with Dennard on White.

Also, their run game is still dangerous without Jackson.  Their scatback Rogers is dangerous on 3rds and Snelling can hammer it.

Maybe BB throws another curveball out there with Nate "the animal" Ebner hounding Gonzalez on passing downs. 

That guy can cover TEs... Plus he freaks them out when they look across the libe of scrimmage...lol.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Am I the only person out there who thinks the Pats win this thing straight up?  Monday's going to shed light on every poster who lacked the courage to believe in this team.

I mean, I get it.  Nervous energy, anxious matchups, questionable personnel, all part of the game.  I'd rather bet on the Pats and see them lose by 50 than bet against them at all.

Every doubting THomas out there will be back in here on Monday claiming they knew the Pats would win.  By 7.  On the road.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/09/27/3tfo-patriots-falcons-week-4/

Crisis On The Outside

With a sad nod to the Giants’ offensive line and the Steelers’ running backs, there’s been no worse position group in the league so far this season than the Falcons’ offensive tackles. Sam Baker and Lamar Holmes are the two worst graded players at their positions this season, and it’s not even close. Thirty-nine of the 54 quarterback pressures that Atlanta’s line has surrendered have come from its bookends. After reliable right tackle Tyson Clabo was cut and replacement Mike Johnson was lost for the season, Holmes has parlayed a poor preseason into a dreadful September. Baker has given a poor initial return on his big offseason contract extension, and is now struggling with a leg injury. It shows how low the bar is set when Jeremy Trueblood gives a big boost by allowing just three QB hurries last week.

The Patriots’ edge rushers are undoubtedly licking their chops when they see their upcoming opponents on film. Chandler Jones is showing signs of being that outside force that New England has lacked for years. His 11.5 Pass Rushing Productivity is one of the highest marks for a 4-3 defensive end this season. Rob Ninkovich does his best work versus the run, but he’s more than competent enough to take advantage of this favorable matchup. Matt Ryan has the third-highest grade of any quarterback this season, but he’s also faced the third-highest pressure rate of any passer. Unless his tackles have a big turnaround, he’ll be under duress again this Sunday night.

Roddy White has a high ankle sprain and is a decoy.  Tight end Tony Gonzalez has lost a step after 15 years, but he sometimes gets open through technique.  The Falcons' top running back is out.  The ball is going to always come out fast to Julio Jones, who is also nursing some injury but it won't affect his play on the field that much.  Julio must be double covered on every play.  Optimally, Chandler Jones lines up on Julio's side and often goes inside on his offensive tackle, which means that Matty Ice too often doesn't have a clear throwing lane to Julio Jones.  Containment of the quarterback isn't an issue because Matt Ryan runs about as well as Tom Brady. 

On the other side, I have heard false rumors come flying out of the Patriots' locker room before.  Beware of any rumor that says Gronk is or is not playing.  Atlanta's pass defense is bad.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

The key will be surviving the first quarter.  The Falcons have a habit of starting fast and fading late.  I think I read they've outscored their opponents 31-0 in the first quarter this year.

Ball control. Script your first drive well and execute.  Nice 7 minute drive and a TD.

Harvey...or Rusty from your mouth to.....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Here's an updated injury report...which adds ex-Patriot CB Asante Samuel to the injury list with a thigh injury. He's been listed as questionable...though I he'll play: http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/atlanta-falcons/2013/sep/27/injury-report-asante-samuel-questionable-thigh-inj/ 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Ball control. Script your first drive well and execute.  Nice 7 minute drive and a TD.

Agree, More important in this game than any other so far this year to eat up time and score on the first or second drive.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to soups' comment:

Am I the only person out there who thinks the Pats win this thing straight up?  Monday's going to shed light on every poster who lacked the courage to believe in this team.

I mean, I get it.  Nervous energy, anxious matchups, questionable personnel, all part of the game.  I'd rather bet on the Pats and see them lose by 50 than bet against them at all.

Every doubting THomas out there will be back in here on Monday claiming they knew the Pats would win.  By 7.  On the road.

I mentioned in another similar post I think they will win if they play just OK. If they play what we all as Pats fans consider to be good they will win in a blowout. To lose there will  have to be some phase of the game where they were abysmal. Turnovers, coverage, run defense and balanced offense are key areas to look at.

..but even laying an egg this time of year and looking terrible is not the end of the world.

So 34% blowout pats, 33% close win Pats. 23% close win ATL, 10% win ATL by a larger margin.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

If one team protects their QB well and the other does not that will end up being the difference in this game. SO pass rush and pass blocking could be the deciding factor.

Having said that, if the Pats can dominate on the ground (the Falcons cannot without Jackson and even then would likely only do better with than without) it could also make the difference especially if both QBs are able to make their passes.

Bottom line, I think it is the first real test for the Pats and I give them a slight edge largely because (1) the pass rush is starting to come around and so the D as a whole and (2) the rookie WRs and perhaps TE Sudfeld are starting to produce. Any further improvements over last week will translate into more yards, more first downs and more points.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

My homerism shows when I go off the numbers.

Caution:  BB and the Patriots often have trouble against any team that they haven't played recently.  They play a team better the second time they see that team in a season.  There's always a chance that Atlanta could end up in the Super Bowl, but we'll have to see about that.

That said, Tom Brady is going to take aim at a number of horrid, not average, defensive players.  Brady doesn't care who is really good, he could care less about throwing at Revis Island.  He spreads the ball around and targets whoever is open or on a good matchup.  The Patriots rookies may be dumb but nobody ever accused them of not getting open. 

Two of Atlanta's excellent starting linebackers are out, and their first replacement linebacker, Akeem Dent, isn't any good.  The second guy, Joplo Bartu, is a UFO rookie, or is that a UFA?  He probably isn't even as good as Dent.  The big beneficiary here is the Patriots running back group that will be slipping through the line and catching six yard passes in the flats.  Also Hoom gets open sometimes, and maybe Suds was just knocking rust off from injuries last week or from being a rank rookie, we'll find out.  Atlanta free safety Thomas DeCloud is reportedly awful.  I don't know if Atlanta's Asante Samuel is going to lose a step because of his thigh injury, but he needs to take a number if he wants Brady to target him.  Samuel is usually the better cornerback for the Falcons.  The other guy, Trufant, is another rookie.

Atlanta used to have an excellent run defense except this week they have those stinkbomb linebackers.  I expect some runs from the Patriots to take the pressure off Brady, except the open receivers will be waving their hands in the air for Tom all day.  I am hopeful that the rookies' progress continues.

On the other side, Atlanta's offense is down a couple of key targets.  Roddy White can't run that fast because of a high ankle sprain and is a decoy.  Atlanta's pass-catching tight end, Tony Gonzalez, is a near-record 37 1/2 years old -- wow, for a guy in the trenches that's like the last living WWI veteran.  He's averaging 3.7 catches per game, well off of his lifetime average.  He probably won't use the raw speed that he doesn't have anymore to get open, and you have to wonder whether gramps can occasionally get bull-rushed back into the quarterback.  Even Julio Jones, the real deal, is questionable with an injured knee.  Assuming he plays, bumping Julio Jones at the line of scrimmage and double covering him seems like a good idea.  If Julio is out, Atlanta may not have any receiving targets at all on the field.

Both quarterbacks will have to deal with a good rush.  The Patriots have a good pass-protecting line.  The Falcons have nothing of the sort, just three guys in the middle of the line, and Matt Ryan can't run.  Ryan will be lucky to ever get more than two seconds to throw with that line, because New England brings the pass rush better this year than they have in many years.  Ryan's two strategies are to drop three steps and hit someone immediately (someone named Julio) or take a seven step drop and throw a short screen pass, a preferred Atlanta play to slow down the rush. 

Atlanta has a so-so run offense with their best tailback out and absolutely zero offensive tackles on the field, just two guards and a center.

So, except for BB's unfamiliarity with Atlanta's game, I say, Atlanta looks for all the world like a mess of injuries waiting to be clobbered on both sides of the ball.  Atlanta's suddenly one-dimensional offense can be slowed down or stopped, and Atlanta's pass defense can be picked apart like a roast chicken on the dinner table.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

reply to Paul K

excellent recap 

to summarize,falcons have 2 suspect cbs - AS is out, 1 horrible safety,no lbs, no OTs, White not right, TG not an All Pro. and maybe even jones not 100%. No rb

looks like we haven't a prayer

so when we win.others will say the falcons sux lol

But no Gronk or JA ? Will make it sweet

one other thing , Ridley is a hell of a pass blocker.

Cannot wait for the game. love it when they are underdogs. 

Btw this is an NFC away game

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

FLOWERY BRANCH – Here’s a look at the numbers:
    http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/atlanta-falcons/2013/sep/27/patriots-falcons-numbers/

PASSING

NE -- Brady: 73-127-698-5-2-79.4

ATL -- Ryan: 81-119-909-6 (T2C)-2-100.4

RUSHING

NE -- Ridley: 36-121-3.4-0

ATL -- Jac. Rodgers: 31-102-3.3-0

RECEIVING

NE -- Edelman: 27 (tops in the league)-201-7.4-2

ATL -- J. Jones: 27 (Tied for first in the league)-373 (first in the league)-13.8-2

OFFENSE

NE -- 340.3 (17th in the league)

ATL -- 379.0 (9th)

TAKE/GIVE

NE – Plus 3 (6th in league)

ATL – 0 (14TH)

DEFENSE

NE – 309 (8TH)

ATL – 375 (23RD)

SACKS

NE – Chandler Jones: 3

ATL – OSI Umenyiora: 2

INTs

NE-- Talib: 3 (leads league)

ATL – Umenyiora, William Moore and Robert McClain, tied: 1

PUNTING

NE -- R. Allen (R): 43.9

ATL – Matt Bosher: 47.5

KICKING

NE - Gostkowski: (T2L) (5/5 PAT; 8/9 FG)

ATL – Matt Bryant: (8/8 PAT; 5/6 FG)

--Patriots (3-0) at Falcons (1-2). The series is tied 6-6. The Patriots have won the last three meetings.

--Falcons head coach Mike Smith is 0-1 vs. the Patriots.

--Patriots coach Bill Belichick is 3-1 vs. the Falcons.

--The Patriots have won 13 of past 15 road games vs. NFC teams.

--Patriots quarterback Tom Brady has a touchdown pass in 51 consecutive games, the second longest streak in NFL history (New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees, 54, which was snapped by the Falcons last season).

--Over his career, Brady is 3-0 vs. Atlanta and has completed 68 of 100 passes for 877 yards with seven touchdowns, one interception and has a passer rating of 114.5 rating.

--Brady has a 36-9 career record (.800) as starter vs. NFC teams.

--Patriots running back LeGarrette Blount has a 100-yard rush game vs. Falcons (103 yards on Dec. 5, 2010 as a member of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

--In three games vs. NFC in ’12, Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski had 20 catches for 282 yards (14.1 avg.) with three touchdowns.

--Patriots rookie wide receiver Kenbrell Thompkins had two touchdown catches last week & became the first  undrafted rookie wide receiver to have two touchdowns in a game since 2010 (Blair White, Indianapolis).

--Patriots defensive end Chandler Jones aims for third straight game with sack.

--Patriots cornerback Aqib Talib has two career interceptions vs. Falcons from his days with Tampa Bay. He has three interceptions in past two games.

--Patriots safety Devin McCourty has four career interceptions vs. NFC teams.

--Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan has won 10 of his past 12 vs. AFC teams.

--Ryan is 34-5 (.872) in home starts  and has won 12 of his past 13 starts at home.  He has a 100-plus passer rating in 9 of those 13 contests.

--In career, when Ryan starts and has 100-plus rating, Falcons are 33-1 (.971).

--Since 2007 (including the playoffs), Falcons wide receiver Roddy White has 604 receptions, most in NFC. In past 14 vs. AFC, has 101 catches for 1,431 yards (102.2 per game)  and 12 touchdowns.

--In past 2 at home, including the playoffs, Falcons wide receiver Julio Jones has 22 catches for 364 yards and three touchdowns.

--Falcons tight end Tony Gonzalez leads all active players with 1,253 catches, 14,361 receiving yards and 104 receiving touchdowns.

--According to NFL statistics, Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan ranks 30th in average pass length (including incomplete passes) at 6.14 yards and 32nd in the average length his passes travel in the air before completions (4.56).

--According to Pro Football Focus, just 38.5 percent of Ryan’s 909 passing yards come before the catch. That’s the lowest percentage in the league.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Hard to believe, but, that place in Atlanta will be like a playoff game and that team may play like it.  As noted in this discussion, at 1 - 2, the Falcons have a lot more to prove than the Pats.  Hopefully, the Pats will forget they are 3 - 0 and is a team that still needs to find its groove.  It appears to have started in the Tampa game.  Will this one be even a better coming out for that young receiver corps?

AGCSBill, just a fan havin' fun!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

I don't think we can overlook the pressure factor. With a loss, the Falcons drop to 1-3 with a tough schedule ahead still. With a loss, the Patriots 'fall' to 3-1 after a loss to a non-AFC opponent. Not saying we don't want to win but the Falcons, I think, have to win. And I've seen Atlanta in pressure situations and it's not pretty. Maybe good news for us.

"The night is darkest just before the dawn. And I promise you, the dawn is coming." --- Harvey Dent

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

AP...  you are so right! How many times have we seen the Falcons going into a game in which many deem it a "must win" and they fold under the pressure?  Even at home.  Pats do not have the pressure and know they only have improving play ahead of them.

AGCSBill, just a fan havin' fun!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

Hard to believe, but, that place in Atlanta will be like a playoff game and that team may play like it.  As noted in this discussion, at 1 - 2, the Falcons have a lot more to prove than the Pats.  Hopefully, the Pats will forget they are 3 - 0 and is a team that still needs to find its groove.  It appears to have started in the Tampa game.  Will this one be even a better coming out for that young receiver corps?

Last week's game was fun to watch. I was calling for Brady to sling it deep to the youngins on every play. I can't wait!

Sections
Shortcuts