Patriots General Free-Agency Thread.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Re: Patriots General Free-Agency Thread.

Possible interest???

Seahawks cut cord on guard Robert Gallery

Seattle Seahawks v Arizona CardinalsGetty Images

Rick Smith, the agent for Seahawks guardRobert Gallery, revealed on Twitter late Wednesday that the club has informedGallery of his impending release.

Gallery turns 32 before the season and was due a $5 million base salary. The move will save the Seahawks roughly $4 million in cap space.

Gallery signed a new three-year, $15 million contract last July, but only lasted one of the seasons. Seattle has shown interest in offensive linemen Steve Hutchinsonand Frank Omiyale in free agency.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

B.Carr to the Cowboys so you know Terence Newman will be released at some point. Is he gonna be this years reclemation project for us. An older guy past his prime who was a Solid player at one point?

I would def. bring him in. He seems to always play well when we see Dallas.

Not many safeties getting attention yet. They will start signing after the run on C.B's

Maybe Thomas Jones in as the washed up, veteran RB....lol

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots General Free-Agency Thread.:
    [QUOTE]B.Carr to the Cowboys so you know Terence Newman will be released at some point. Is he gonna be this years reclemation project for us. An older guy past his prime who was a Solid player at one point? I would def. bring him in. He seems to always play well when we see Dallas. Not many safeties getting attention yet. They will start signing after the run on C.B's Maybe Thomas Jones in as the washed up, veteran RB....lol
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]
    Newman was already released at the start of Free Agency.

I think the Pats priorities now are to get Connolly and Anderson back in the fold.  If BJGE is walking (likely) they may bring in a vet RB to compete in camp and could still draft one.  They will probably add a low budget safety but I think that is about it.  If Light or Waters retire they would likely do something on the OL too but I don't see the Pats major players for any big names, sadly.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

You are probably right. I was thinking Newman would come cheap, but he may have some team willing to overpay for him based on his name and his past play.

I gotta find out how old he is. I def. think they should bring in someone at Cb in free agency. Nothing too major, just a solid guy with experience who can stay healthy.

Eric wright cashed in pretty well after his "prove it" year. It seems we would have to settle on a 3rd tier CB based on what they are paying these guys.

Rogers signed an ext with the Niners.

Not much left but I would bring in Terrel Thomas who hurt his knee in preseason last year. He would fit well here, IMO

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Very rarely do the Pats go out and get the "big names" in FA. Not sure why a handful of people seem to think they will, when in all likelyhood they won't. Yes, they have done so in the past, but it hasn't worked out so well (Thomas).

So my prediction is that they will get the under the radar players that aren't the "sexy picks"....and sign a few servicable guys that come cheap...it's what they do.....and they do it most every year.

Just once, I would love to see them use both #1s this year, and both #2s. No reason not to with the rookie cap. I would also like to see BJGE walk, and hand the workload over to Ridley & Vareen. Should be interesting....

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Why do people keep saying contracts should have been done before FA opens? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

[QUOTE]Very rarely do the Pats go out and get the "big names" in FA. Not sure why a handful of people seem to think they will, when in all likelyhood they won't. Yes, they have done so in the past, but it hasn't worked out so well (Thomas). So my prediction is that they will get the under the radar players that aren't the "sexy picks"....and sign a few servicable guys that come cheap...it's what they do.....and they do it most every year. Just once, I would love to see them use both #1s this year, and both #2s. No reason not to with the rookie cap. I would also like to see BJGE walk, and hand the workload over to Ridley & Vareen. Should be interesting....
    Posted by tanbass[/QUOTe

exactly...   they dont do it.... but that doesnt stop people from actually expecting they will....   lol

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Okay, I've updated the current depth chart showing the 51 top contracts used to determine our 2012 cap as it stands today.  I was surprised to see that we have 3 immediate needs for starters on offense unless we want to count Ocho and Wendell as starters, which I certainly don't.  It's already bad enough that I'm forced to count Cunningham starting at OLB.  I don't see how we don't address C and WR in free agency.  It has to happen even if we bring Branch back.  We also badly need to address FS and S depth in general.  Maybe Landry???  I look for Ihedigbo to be back too but please, we got to do better than this, perhaps Barron in the draft?

One thing the Pats always do is plug obvious holes in free agency.  If we don't get at least 1 WR that means we're going to double down on the position in the draft which isn't necessarily a bad move because the draft is considered deep at the position especially in the 2-3 rounds where we have 3 picks.

Current 51 Top Salaries 2012
    OFFENSE 25 Players
    Slot31 W Welker '1226 Edelman '12 
    WR 27 M Slater '1426 B. Davis
    LOT33 M Light '1223 N Solder '15 
    LG31 Mankins '16  
    C 26 Wendell '1325 N. McDonald
    ROG35 Brian Waters27 D Thomas '12 
    RT27 Vollmer '1224 M. Cannon '1425 M Kopa
    TE23 Gronkowski '1322 Hernandez '13 
    QB35 Tom Brady '1426 Hoyer '1224 Mallett '14
    RB23 S. Veeren '1426 Woodhead '12 
    23 S. Ridley '1430 L Polite '12 

WR 34 Ochocinco '1326 Underwood 

DEFENSE 23 Players
    DE 30 J Fanene '1426 Pryor '13 
    NT30 Wilfork '1425 R. Brace '12 
    DE25 Deaderick '1326 Love '12 
    OLB24 Cunningham '13  
    ILB26 Mayo '1625 Fletcher '12 24 J Tarpinian
    ILB25 B Spikes '1331 T White '14
    31 Koutouvides
    OLB29 Ninkovich '13  
    LCB23 Dowling '1423 S Moore '1222 M Williams
    RCB26 McCourty '1426 Arrington '12 
    SS25 Chung '1227 J Barrett '12 
    FS24 S Brown '1324 R Ventrone '12 

SPECIAL TEAMS 3
    PK28 Gostkowski '14PUP/IRPS
    P25 Z. Mesko '13  
    LS24 D Aiken  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Barron won't be there at 27 barring some off the field character incident between now and the draft.

It's also not worth trading up to 15ish to get an impact rookie Safety. 

Agree on Safety, maybe Center in the draft (2nd rd maybe to develop) if they can lock down Connolly here for a 2 year deal.

Then again, they like Nick McDonald, so maybe they're looking at resigning Connolly for C and future Guard duty after Waters is done post-2012 season?  Cannon projects as a Tackle and they may need him if Vollmer can't stay healthy next year.

I'd be thrilled in the draft with something like this:

27. Courtney Upshaw OLB, Alabama
    31. Dennard S, Nebraska

Then in the 2nd rd go after Sanu the WR from Rutgers.  Trade a 2nd rd out into 2013 and then go after Joe Adams, WR from Arkansas.

Then look at Center or Guard in the 4th.

Resign Anderson and Carter.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I think we really need to go all in on Landry if we get comfortable with his medical.  Landry/Chung would make a nice combo and if one gets hurt, then we just slide someone in at FS.  Chung has been hurt almost as much as Landry the past two years so hopefully one of them can be healthy at all times. 

We definitely have to bring back Connolly and bring in a F/A WR even if it is Branch.

We MUST bank on drafting a quality WR who can play year 1.  This is as important as anything right now the way the roster stands.  Getting a WR that we feel can start and produce trumps a DT/DE to me the way our roster stands today.

With any luck we get Landry in F/A and Barron at 27.  We then need to take a WR at 31 or 48.  We cannot wait until later.  Rush OLB would be the other choice with our top 3 picks IMO.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Faucet, I believe the safer bet on WR is in free agency. Any rookie WR is already fighting to get up to speed, never mind in this offense where they want you to be a genius.

Its a crapshoot of all crapshoots, so when you say its a MUST to get an impact WR in the draft that will produce right away, Its like me saying Its a must for me to sleep with hottest chic in Holloywood.  The chances are really slim, even tho' I am quite the ladies man.

Why would you put all your chips into a draft choice when none have panned out in the last 10 years??

Since Branch, NO draft pick has had an immediate impact. IJS. I dont want any wr's in here  until after the 1st day because its not safe. Take the safe bets with D-lineman, O-lineman and RB

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

[QUOTE]Okay, I've updated the current depth chart showing the 51 top contracts used to determine our 2012 cap as it stands today.  I was surprised to see that we have 3 immediate needs for starters on offense unless we want to count Ocho and Wendell as starters, which I certainly don't.  It's already bad enough that I'm forced to count Cunningham starting at OLB.  I don't see how we don't address C and WR in free agency.  It has to happen even if we bring Branch back.  We also badly need to address FS and S depth in general.  Maybe Landry???  I look for Ihedigbo to be back too but please, we got to do better than this, perhaps Barron in the draft? One thing the Pats always do is plug obvious holes in free agency.  If we don't get at least 1 WR that means we're going to double down on the position in the draft which isn't necessarily a bad move because the draft is considered deep at the position especially in the 2-3 rounds where we have 3 picks. Current 51 Top Salaries 2012 OFFENSE 25 Players Slot 31 W Welker '12 26 Edelman '12   WR   27 M Slater '14 26 B. Davis LOT 33 M Light '12 23 N Solder '15   LG 31 Mankins '16     C   26 Wendell '13 25 N. McDonald ROG 35 Brian Waters 27 D Thomas '12   RT 27 Vollmer '12 24 M. Cannon '14 25 M Kopa TE 23 Gronkowski '13 22 Hernandez '13   QB 35 Tom Brady '14 26 Hoyer '12 24 Mallett '14 RB 23 S. Veeren '14 26 Woodhead '12   23 S. Ridley '14 30 L Polite '12         WR   34 Ochocinco '13 26 Underwood           DEFENSE 23 Players DE   30 J Fanene '14 26 Pryor '13   NT 30 Wilfork '14 25 R. Brace '12   DE 25 Deaderick '13 26 Love '12   OLB 24 Cunningham '13     ILB 26 Mayo '16 25 Fletcher '12   24 J Tarpinian ILB 25 B Spikes '13 31 T White '14 31 Koutouvides OLB 29 Ninkovich '13     LCB 23 Dowling '14 23 S Moore '12 22 M Williams RCB 26 McCourty '14 26 Arrington '12   SS 25 Chung '12 27 J Barrett '12   FS 24 S Brown '13 24 R Ventrone '12     SPECIAL TEAMS 3 PK 28 Gostkowski '14 PUP/IR PS P 25 Z. Mesko '13     LS 24 D Aiken    
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

Great post - msakes it clear waht we have to do at minimum

Polian just said you always over pay in FA
    its why BB seldom does it

I think I-Ras is a key
    I am fine with McCourty at Safety or slot CB
    I think the pats changed their scheme in the beginning
    of the season and it got him screwed up  -
    but he is a football player

I am fine at LB and Dline if we have anderson and carter
    plus the new add??

We will alos get anothe db

So we need  WR s and we need a center

all will be doen the second wave of FA and the draft

I think our D will be much better next year
      they haver to get off the field more
    and our O has to be able to stretch the field vertically

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

Landry is visiting the Pats on Friday, along with former Colts reciever Anthony Gonzalez. Also, Danny Amendola was spotted at Patriot Place last night. Could they be preparing an offer sheet to him?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

He is in town due to a death in the family supposedly. He probably dropped by the shop to try on a jersey  to see how it would look.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]Faucet, I believe the safer bet on WR is in free agency. Any rookie WR is already fighting to get up to speed, never mind in this offense where they want you to be a genius. Its a crapshoot of all crapshoots, so when you say its a MUST to get an impact WR in the draft that will produce right away, Its like me saying Its a must for me to sleep with hottest chic in Holloywood.  The chances are really slim, even tho' I am quite the ladies man. Why would you put all your chips into a draft choice when none have panned out in the last 10 years?? Since Branch, NO draft pick has had an immediate impact. IJS. I dont want any wr's in here  until after the 1st day because its not safe. Take the safe bets with D-lineman, O-lineman and RB
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]
    As for WR.  We need one in free agency, one in the draft.  If not Lloyd, we need to bring Branch back on a one year deal.  As for Pats' WR draft picks not panning out, I hear that all the time and I'm getting sick of that excuse.  First the highest we ever drafted a WR under BB was at 2-36 in '06 with Chad Jackson.  Obviously he was a major bust.  But if you look at all the WRs we've drafted under BB, they haven't all been busts.  We've drafted 9 WRs since 2001. 

'02  2-65 Branch HIT
    '02  7-253 Givens HIT
    '03  2-45 B. Johnson MISSED as WR but had over 3,600 KR yds & 2 TDs MIXED
    '04  5-164 PK Kim MISSED
    '06  2-36 C. Johnson MISSED
    '08  5-153 Slater, MISSEDas WR but made Pro Bowl on Special Teams HIT
    '09  3-83 Tate, MISSEDas WR but has 2,100 KR yards & 2 TDs. HIT
    '09  7-232 Edelman
    HIT
    '10  3-90 Price MISSED

Of these 9 at least 2 were drafted primarily for special teams based on what they were in collage, Slater and Tate.  We basically hit on 5, missed on 3 and had mixed results with 1.  That's actually about average for drafting any position.  This is actually probably better than expected considering we haven't used a single first round pick on the position. 

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jedi33. Show Jedi33's posts

well looks like mario williams  is a buffalo bill  buffalo presser @ 130pm

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Who i'd like of the FA's left:

LaRon Landry
    Kendall Langford
    Steve Gregory

Then go the restricted free agent route with similar contracts for Wallace and Webb, 35-40 million, and give up pick 31.

If we get Webb signBrendan Lloyd if we get Wallace sign Tracy Porter

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots General Free-Agency Thread. : Yep, we hit on many game changers since 02, thanks.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]
    You can't get a hit if you don't go to the plate...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Its not just us Facuet, Any team taking a WR in the first is taking a big risk.

Just ask Detroit, It took them 3 # 1 picks to get it right and each time they went after the consensus guy.

Every year, the experts will tell you someone is gonna do great things because everyone has a job to do. The Reality is some years there just isnt a Guy like that, but they will tell you so every year. This year its Blackmon. Im all set with him, Stephen Hill or anyone else early in the draft. Branch is the only guy who made an immediate impact. Givens came on year 2. Edleman didnt produce all year, just had a few nice games. Also what has Edleman done since then? Im all set with one year wonders for any 1st rounders. Chad was supposedly a safe pick too right?  We will disagree on this, but I'll take you up on that offer to go to L.A.

considering last year was actually a good year w/ A.J.  Green and H.Jones, I would assume this year will back to Busto's. Also these 2 were top 10 picks, of which we have none. Once you get past 20, anyone is a Risk, IMO

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Also besies all that, how can we trust the Pats will take the right one?

The 2 times we had the "right" guy fall to us, we passed on them and took Busto's. I dont trust the Pats scouting to get it right.

IN 09', we passed on Mike Wallace and Took B.Tate. The Steelers took Wallace with the very next pic.

In 06, we traded up to get Chad Jackson when Jennings was sitting right there.

If they had played those pics right, things may be different right now. They probably even no better not to touch anyone early after their failures at this spot.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Brodney Poole signed to the Cowboys. Word is they have no interest in Landry and the Eagles are doubtful to look for his services with the young talent they have there.

Word is the Pats and Jets are the 2 likely teams to land Landry and with not many other teams biting he will have to settle on a 1 year, "prove it" type deal with incentives tied to games played.

Sections
Shortcuts