Patriots General Free-Agency Thread.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lsulifer86. Show lsulifer86's posts

Re: Patriots General Free-Agency Thread.

The Kraft family is only trying to maximize revenue to spend ratio. Winning a superbowl is not their #1 priority. If the Superbowl comes (which was a close miss this year) great, if not, the stands are full and souvenir stores are empty, exactly what they would want to see..

They are too cheap to surround an all time great like Tom Brady with talent on D, O and ST.. Of course in all fairness, we must also recognize that they have not fared too well in expensive Free Agency - Haynsworth being the most recenty casualty..

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I agree, but Haynesworth wasnt pricey to us, just a waste of time and roster spot.

I do sort of agree about keeping fans happy and they know as long as # 12 is here, the stands will be filled. I feel they could do a better job at times and last year was the real head scratching gamble. They let Page, McGowan, Meriweather, and Sanders go all in offseason while counting on scrub  career special teamers knowing how important safety play is here.  Then when you consider they paid 6 million for Ocho to ride the pine you can figure out where their priorities were. They made it to the SB  and were ill prepared to get the win due to bad planning in the offseason combined with bad luck.

This is results of having the best QB in the league and putting mediocre talent around him. I wouldnt care if it wasnt possible, but if the managed things better, we have atleast 2 to 3 more lombardi's the way Brady has played. Too much is on his shoulders when you give him Benny Hill to work with.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots General Free-Agency Thread.:
    [QUOTE]Also besies all that, how can we trust the Pats will take the right one? The 2 times we had the "right" guy fall to us, we passed on them and took Busto's. I dont trust the Pats scouting to get it right. IN 09', we passed on Mike Wallace and Took B.Tate. The Steelers took Wallace with the very next pic. In 06, we traded up to get Chad Jackson when Jennings was sitting right there. If they had played those pics right, things may be different right now. They probably even no better not to touch anyone early after their failures at this spot.
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]

The 2 times we had the "right" guy fall to us, we passed on them and took Busto's. I dont trust the Pats scouting to get it right.

i'll second that.
    in half the positions on the field at least.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]The Kraft family is only trying to maximize revenue to spend ratio. Winning a superbowl is not their #1 priority... [blah, blah, blah]...

Posted by lsulifer86[/QUOTE]

Right, that must be why they spend to the cap every year and have a record of unparalleled success since Kraft has owned the team. You're a real genius. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]I agree, but Haynesworth wasnt pricey to us, just a waste of time and roster spot. I do sort of agree about keeping fans happy and they know as long as # 12 is here, the stands will be filled. I feel they could do a better job at times and last year was the real head scratching gamble. They let Page, McGowan, Meriweather, and Sanders go all in offseason while counting on scrub  career special teamers knowing how important safety play is here.  Then when you consider they paid 6 million for Ocho to ride the pine you can figure out where their priorities were. They made it to the SB  and were ill prepared to get the win due to bad planning in the offseason combined with bad luck. This is results of having the best QB in the league and putting mediocre talent around him. I wouldnt care if it wasnt possible, but if the managed things better, we have atleast 2 to 3 more lombardi's the way Brady has played. Too much is on his shoulders when you give him Benny Hill to work with.
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]

but if the managed things better, we have atleast 2 to 3 more lombardi's the way Brady has played.

exactly. at least one other person willing to see what is.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

http://missourisportsmag.com/?p=57194

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

As first reported by , Patriots to host free-agent DE/LB Trevor Scott.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

With the talk that Lloyd is coming and Landry could be, I updated our depth chart.  Right now without these two signings we have about $5MM of cap to sign these guys.  We will then need to do something with Welker and Ocho, possibly Light before the draft.  We still need another starting WR.  I'd perhaps bring back Branch on the cheap then the draft could be all about taking BPA.

Current 51 Top Salaries 2012
    OFFENSE 25 Players
    Slot31 W Welker '1226 Edelman '12 
    WR31 B. Lloyd '1427 M Slater '14 
    LOT33 M Light '1223 N Solder '15 
    LG31 Mankins '16  
    C30 D. Connolly '1426 Wendell '1325 N. McDonald
    ROG35 B. Waters '1227 D Thomas '12 
    RT27 Vollmer '1224 M. Cannon '1425 M Kopa
    TE23 Gronkowski '1322 Hernandez '13 
    QB35 Tom Brady '1426 Hoyer '1224 Mallett '14
    RB23 S. Veeren '1426 Woodhead '12 
    23 S. Ridley '1430 L Polite '12 

WR 34 Ochocinco '1326 Underwood 

DEFENSE 23 Players
    DE 30 J Fanene '1426 Pryor '13 
    NT30 Wilfork '1425 R. Brace '12 
    DE25 Deaderick '1326 Love '12 
    OLB24 Cunningham '13  
    ILB26 Mayo '1625 Fletcher '12 24 J Tarpinian
    ILB25 B Spikes '1331 T White '14
    31 Koutouvides
    OLB29 Ninkovich '13  
    LCB23 Dowling '1423 S Moore '1222 M Williams
    RCB26 McCourty '1426 Arrington '12 
    SS25 Chung '1227 J Barrett '12 
    FSL. Landry???29 S. Gregory '1424 S Brown '13

SPECIAL TEAMS 3
    PK28 Gostkowski '14PUP/IRPS
    P25 Z. Mesko '13  
    LS24 D Aiken  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots General Free-Agency Thread. : As for WR.  We need one in free agency, one in the draft.  If not Lloyd, we need to bring Branch back on a one year deal.  As for Pats' WR draft picks not panning out, I hear that all the time and I'm getting sick of that excuse.   First the highest we ever drafted a WR under BB was at 2-36 in '06 with Chad Jackson.  Obviously he was a major bust.  But if you look at all the WRs we've drafted under BB, they haven't all been busts.  We've drafted 9 WRs since 2001.  '02  2-65 Branch HIT '02  7-253 Givens HIT '03  2-45 B. Johnson MISSED as WR but had over 3,600 KR yds & 2 TDs MIXED '04  5-164 PK Kim MISSED '06  2-36 C. Johnson MISSED '08  5-153 Slater, MISSED as WR but made Pro Bowl on Special Teams HIT '09  3-83 Tate, MISSED as WR but has 2,100 KR yards & 2 TDs. HIT '09  7-232 Edelman HIT '10  3-90 Price MISSED Of these 9 at least 2 were drafted primarily for special teams based on what they were in collage, Slater and Tate.  We basically hit on 5, missed on 3 and had mixed results with 1.  That's actually about average for drafting any position.  This is actually probably better than expected considering we haven't used a single first round pick on the position. 
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

Good info

if Bethel was 'mixed' then so was Tate. He was only available in rd 3 b/c of an injury, he wasn't expected to be just a return guy but had been projected as a #2 WR who could have gone much higher in the draft and never become one.

I'd even say we missed there considering Mike Wallace was taken right after Tate.

Unless you are talking Devin Hester, ST's and retunr men should be 4-5th rd picks like Slater, not 2nd-3rd rd picks like Bethel and Tate, those picks need to be at least your #3 WR

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Langford is gone

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7701252/2012-nfl-free-agency-st-louis-rams-ink-kendall-langford-4-year-24-million-deal-sources-say

too rich for us

The Rams could be a VERY good team next year with all their signings, picks, solid new HC and a top young/still improving QB

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots General Free-Agency Thread. : Good info if Bethel was 'mixed' then so was Tate. He was only available in rd 3 b/c of an injury, he wasn't expected to be just a return guy but had been projected as a #2 WR who could have gone much higher in the draft and never become one. I'd even say we missed there considering Mike Wallace was taken right after Tate. Unless you are talking Devin Hester, ST's and retunr men should be 4-5th rd picks like Slater, not 2nd-3rd rd picks like Bethel and Tate, those picks need to be at least your #3 WR
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]
    It was projection about Tate.  He never had elite WR production in college.

In any event, we need to get Wimbley.  NOW!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

So far I'm satisfied with the FAs we've gotten. Need to go get Wimbley and Amendola.

Maybe we can use the draft to get offensive linemen and a speedy tall WR.