Patriots getting older with each signing

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Patriots getting older with each signing

In response to mthurl's comment:

The more I think about our new old 34 year old safety, the more I realize that a corpse would be better than what we have had and currently have in Gregory (and the departed Chung). So really even if this guy goes out there and rolls around an oxygen tank...he still will have more range and athleticism than Gregory. Winning!

I agree with you, as I was never anamored with the Gregory signing last year, nor with much of any of the signings last year. But against the back drop of euphoria that the Pats are doing something, do this years current crop of signings feel like the past couple of years? Which have been to be generous a C minus grade? 

Lloyd (before this years was considered greater than) Jones or Sanders

Wes is a better WR than Amendola. 

Abes or Freeney feels like Albert, Ellis or Carter

Wilson is better than Gregory, granted, but he is 34 years old.

Do you get the sense the Pats sign 10 free agents and some of them are Stallworth, Branch, Gaffney and a few guys over 33 years old? 

I hope and expect Talib and Arrington to contribute, but other than Amendola ( much like Lloyd) are any of these guys a lock to make the team? 

Assuming Talib is resigned and Sanders is as well, it is hard for me to see the defense is so much improved with Wilson, Abe's, and a number1,2 and 7 in the draft. 

The offense lost Wes, probably Vollmer, Edelman and Woody. Maybe Lloyd. Amendola, Jones and Sanders improve the offense Over last year? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejuice1. Show thejuice1's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

The more I think about our new old 34 year old safety, the more I realize that a corpse would be better than what we have had and currently have in Gregory (and the departed Chung). So really even if this guy goes out there and rolls around an oxygen tank...he still will have more range and athleticism than Gregory. Winning!

I agree with you, as I was never anamored with the Gregory signing last year, nor with much of any of the signings last year. But against the back drop of euphoria that the Pats are doing something, do this years current crop of signings feel like the past couple of years? Which have been to be generous a C minus grade? 

Lloyd (before this years was considered greater than) Jones or Sanders

Wes is a better WR than Amendola. 

Abes or Freeney feels like Albert, Ellis or Carter

Wilson is better than Gregory, granted, but he is 34 years old.

Do you get the sense the Pats sign 10 free agents and some of them are Stallworth, Branch, Gaffney and a few guys over 33 years old? 

I hope and expect Talib and Arrington to contribute, but other than Amendola ( much like Lloyd) are any of these guys a lock to make the team? 

Assuming Talib is resigned and Sanders is as well, it is hard for me to see the defense is so much improved with Wilson, Abe's, and a number1,2 and 7 in the draft. 

The offense lost Wes, probably Vollmer, Edelman and Woody. Maybe Lloyd. Amendola, Jones and Sanders improve the offense Over last year? 

In my opinion, yes its an improvement to the offense... Our offense the last few years has been nearly 100% middle of the field centric... If you take our 5 biggest offensive weapons last year (Gronk, Welker, Hernandez, Lloyd and Woodhead) 4 of them (excluding Lloyd) operated essentially 95% of the time or more, in the middle of the field... and while Lloyd was on outside receiver, he was not a true deep threat. So, against really good defensive teams in the playoffs, you simply cover the middle of the field, not worry about the outside, and boom you shut down a high powered offense pretty easily (see Jets, Giants, Ravens playoff loses the last 3 years).

By getting rid of Wes, bringing in a guy like Jones (an outside receiver with some speed) and either signing or at least going after a guy like Sanders (even more speed and even more of a true deep threat) and adding Amendola a guy that is a slot guy persay, but also has at least some ability to make down the field plays (which Welker did not) we now HOPEFULLY will have an offense come playoff time that other Defense's much respect... and wont just aim to shut down the middle of the field.

This is why Welker needed to be let go and we need to add true outside deep threats at wr.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I'm not at all against a few older vets coming in who could have a vey good impact this coming season.  I wan't SB's now!!  To me it should be all in while TFB is still the QB.  The team is still young even with a few older guys added and if they improve the position they are coming in at and give this team a better chance at winning this season then they had last season then I say well done!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejuice1. Show thejuice1's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

I'm not at all against a few older vets coming in who could have a vey good impact this coming season.  I wan't SB's now!!  To me it should be all in while TFB is still the QB.  The team is still young even with a few older guys added and if they improve the position they are coming in at and give this team a better chance at winning this season then they had last season then I say well done!

Exactly, TFB. A common theme on our championship teams, was veteran leadership (particularly on D) and a toughness and attitude. You can never have enough talent on D, but we are not lacking talent on D. We are lacking those 3 key components i mentioned above... Signing Wilson and hopefully signing a guy like Freeney or Abraham and perhaps another veteran corner, are huge steps in the right direction. We do not need another infusion of youth on defense, we need veteran leaders and playmakers.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoahJustin. Show NoahJustin's posts

Patriots getting older with each signing? Has anyone mentioned that we just signed Donald Jones age 25, Danny Amendjola age 27, and even Leon Washington is only 30 years old?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to PatsGnome's comment:

Last season the Patriots were one of the youngest teams in the NFL.  With each free agent we lose    to other teams, the Patriots have decided to sign older players to replace the lost free agents.  The   Patriots have also signed other free agents from other teams who have played more than 10 years in the league.

Are the majority of these free agent signings just practice bodies?  Who needs a Strong Safety who has played 13 years in the league?

Amendola is 5 years younger than Welker. But that is NOT the point I am going to make...

The Pats build a 53 man roster, not a 22 man roster. THey try to have breadth and depth across the entire roster. Everyone has a job, a role. Almost everyone plays in one way or another. To do this they get some players for the long term, some for intermediate term and they add some players for 1 year (with the thought sometimes they might reup on year two). Players who are either "old" or have some serious quesitons about whether they wil be able to truly fit here are the shortest term players added. The SB teams of a decade ago had their share of vets coming here for 1-3 years. Wilson will be a one year at a time guy unless ealry on they find he has the bopdy to play the role they want for 2-3 years in which case maybe they redo his contract before it is over.

But I expect there to be a mix of age on this team.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Last season the Patriots were one of the youngest teams in the NFL.  With each free agent we lose    to other teams, the Patriots have decided to sign older players to replace the lost free agents.  The   Patriots have also signed other free agents from other teams who have played more than 10 years in the league.

Are the majority of these free agent signings just practice bodies?  Who needs a Strong Safety who has played 13 years in the league?

Right you are about the Wilson signing. Dumb move to sign a guy who will turn 34 this fall, and was being phased out in Arizona...when 28 year old "Brute Bernard" Pollard, who led the Ravens in tackles last year, was available. That said, I don't have a problem with the Pats signing either John Abraham or Dwight Freeney to improve their weak pass rush.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

Really impossible to win on this board with some fans.  BB remakes the D making it one of the youngest in the NFL and they're too young to win.  He brings in some veteran leadership (which they need) and the D is getting old. 

As has been pointed out earlier, saying the Offense is getting older with the FA signings is not consistent with the facts. 

Unfortunately, ATJ, that's the nature of the NE fanbase.  Spoiled, entitled, and whiny sum up the majority of our fanbase pretty well.  It's a very sad thing to witness.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to leatherhelmet's comment:

I not going to bash this post.................Im feeling real nice after gettting Talib locked up so ..........hmmmmm..............

Amendola for Welker = Younger

Jones for Branch/Lloyd = Younger

Washington for Woody = Experience

Wilson for Bust Chung = HELL YES!!!!

Talib2013 playing for Talib2014 = One hell of a season

Draft just plain ole = YOUTH

Have I missed anything??

Have you missed anything?? Yes. Three years ago, Wilson would have been a great signing. But, at age 33, the guy is no where near the player he once was. Bernard Pollard was the better choice.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

In response to leatherhelmet's comment:

I not going to bash this post.................Im feeling real nice after gettting Talib locked up so ..........hmmmmm..............

Amendola for Welker = Younger

Jones for Branch/Lloyd = Younger

Washington for Woody = Experience

Wilson for Bust Chung = HELL YES!!!!

Talib2013 playing for Talib2014 = One hell of a season

Draft just plain ole = YOUTH

Have I missed anything??

Have you missed anything?? Yes. Three years ago, Wilson would have been a great signing. But, at age 33, the guy is no where near the player he once was. Bernard Pollard was the better choice.

I'd love to see the statistical analysis that has lead you to this conclusion.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

In response to ATJ's comment:

Really impossible to win on this board with some fans.  BB remakes the D making it one of the youngest in the NFL and they're too young to win.  He brings in some veteran leadership (which they need) and the D is getting old. 

As has been pointed out earlier, saying the Offense is getting older with the FA signings is not consistent with the facts. 

Unfortunately, ATJ, that's the nature of the NE fanbase.  Spoiled, entitled, and whiny sum up the majority of our fanbase pretty well.  It's a very sad thing to witness.  

They have/had the money to sign a difference maker. They signed AWilson. If wanting a difference maker and getting 34 year old Wilson is spoiled then so be it. Did you jump for joy last year for Gregory? Did you think Lloyd was the 2nd coming of Moss and the answer to the down field WR? The Pats had $30-$40 million between last year and this year to improve the team. Assuming Lloyd and Fells are cut, they have Gregory to show for last year. I have hope Amendola doesn't suffer from the "can't get on the same page " syndrome with TB that seems to afflict many WR's that come here. Donald Jones played 12 games last year and sat out the last 4 for undisclosed medical issues. He had 2 games of over 50 yards rcving, booth against the Pats. The Bills released him. He is not a budding pro bowler. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Comparing Gregory to Wilson is beyond asinine. They play different positions, are completely different builds, and have had entirely different careers. Wilson is a borderline H.O.Fer, while Gregory is a nice depth guy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Even without FA signings, everyone on the roster is a day older than yesterday.  Think about it ... with a 53 man roster, every week the team ages by one man-year.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

Comparing Gregory to Wilson is beyond asinine. They play different positions, are completely different builds, and have had entirely different careers. Wilson is a borderline H.O.Fer, while Gregory is a nice depth guy.

I am not comparing them. I am saying with all of last years cap money, the total haul this year ends up being Gregory. Was that wisely spending last years cap money? 

I agree, Wilson was very good. You are not getting that player. You are getting a 34 year old S. How was Rodney at 34? Has Reed slowed down(not yet 34) Polomalu? How was Lawyer Millloy at that age? Wilson can contribute if he can stay on the field at 34, but he is not a coverage guy anymore. Assuming TWilson takes a second year jump, AWilson may not even start. He is a nice signing for this team, but as I said, this team had $30-$40m available to sign free agents Between last year and this. IMO last year they came away with nothing. This year they came away with Talib, 34 year old Wilson and 35 year old Abe's. They have approx $15m still available, plus I expect them to cut Fells. They will as usual carry over $5 or so. They will allot approx $3-$3.5 to rookies depending if the sign Sanders. That leaves them with $7-$8. I will be happy with Vollmer and Edelman back. I do think Vollmer is a difference maker. 

Sections
Shortcuts