Patriots give up on O'Connell

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Patriots give up on O'Connell

Patriots make change at QB, tell O'Connell he's released

Posted by Mike Reiss, Globe Staff August 30, 2009 04:05 PM

The Patriots have made a surprising move at quarterback today, informing backup Kevin O'Connell that he was released, according to a league source.

O'Connell, a third-round draft choice in 2008, was considered the leading candidate to be the team's top backup to Tom Brady entering training camp.

In addition to Brady, the team now has five-year veteran Andrew Walter and rookie free agent Brian Hoyer on the roster at quarterback.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Re: Patriots give up on O'Connell

Will the Patriots go after a back-up QB? I am not sure if I have faith in Walter in being the 2nd QB.  Hoyer does not have experience.

Disappointing the Pats used a 3rd round pick on Kevin in 2008 and release him a year later

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from noncallcity. Show noncallcity's posts

Know what I saw 2 weeks ago? Hoyer has huge cujones, taking massive hits and still driving down the field. I like him a lot.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEforever. Show NEforever's posts

they gave up on him to quickly!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mayosmyboy51. Show mayosmyboy51's posts

he'll end up in denver or kc

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

Maybe they'll pick up Grossman after he gets cut by Texans? Or maybe make a trade for Luke McCown?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

I'd think that either they have their eye on someone else already (Thigpen, maybe?), or they're extremely confident with Walter. I can't see them thinking Hoyer is ready to step in, so it's either Walter or someone who's not there yet. Interesting turn of events. O'Connell must have really messed up for them to simply release him after being a third rounder.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

Betcha, they got a trade working maybe with Philly??

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots give up on O'Connell:
    [QUOTE]he'll end up in denver or kc
    Posted by mayosmyboy51[/QUOTE]Denver if my guess is right,he was a McDaniels pupil.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from communistmoderator. Show communistmoderator's posts

[QUOTE]they gave up on him to quickly!
    Posted by NEforever[/QUOTE]well, i just hope kyle orton's not renting! i can c him going to denver as first choice or definitely to kansas city if cassell is out for the year or for 6 weeks or so. i was suspicious of his status the minute bill got walter in there. there was no reason to do so except to show his disdain for o'connell. plus if u saw how and when he got most of his reps this preseason, it wasnt  of a guy held in good standg. hoyer would not had made it hrough waivers. also o'connell stunk it up on friday! bel just had enough. i think we are in for other surprises like bruschi, tender roni, and watson all on the chopping block! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZigZig. Show ZigZig's posts

Everybody makes me SICK!!! We could of got Michael "super scum of the earth" VICK. hE WOULD HAVE been a perfect back up and everybody know's it!!! I can't stand what he did 2 those dogs, but the fact of the matter is that he would of been perfect as a #2 QB and everybody no's it. Nobody really no's if Tom is ok or not, and can hold up the whole season, I mean how many more hits can this poor guy take.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

[QUOTE]Everybody makes me SICK!!! We could of got Michael "super scum of the earth" VICK. hE WOULD HAVE been a perfect back up and everybody know's it!!! I can't stand what he did 2 those dogs, but the fact of the matter is that he would of been perfect as a #2 QB and everybody no's it. Nobody really no's if Tom is ok or not, and can hold up the whole season, I mean how many more hits can this poor guy take.
    Posted by ZigZig[/QUOTE]

Zig Zag, you get high a lot? Vick is hugely over rated. All he can do is scramble, which is what O'connell can do. Neither can thhrow worth a damn yet, & may never be able to.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

Quite a statement!  Don't even wait for the mandatory cut, axe him immediately.  I guess that's how you add am exclamation point to the cut!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I'm surprised at this, Matt Cassel didn't me show anything that would make me think he could be a starter in the NFL but Bill kept him.  

Looking through other team's rosters the possible candidates for the back-up are John Beck, Chase Daniels, and Sage Rosenfels.  Or Bill will keep the three remaining QBs he has on the roster and pray that number 12 doesn't get hurt.

I have no idea why Bill drafts scrambling QBs after he had such success with Brady. It's like he's trying to create a Montana and Young situation. When the great pocket passing QB leaves, you play a scrambling QB. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

[QUOTE]Quite a statement!  Don't even wait for the mandatory cut, axe him immediately.  I guess that's how you add am exclamation point to the cut!
    Posted by JulesWinfield[/QUOTE]

Jules:

When Don Shula was coaching the Dolphins, he was asked in an interview what was the biggest obstacle for young players to make it into the NFL (once they are past their rookie year) and his reply was something to the effect that the young guys must always be showing constant improvement both in terms of physical skills and in their knowledge of the NFL game - from year 1 to year 2, from year 2 to year 3...and most players don't meet that dual requirement: for reasons that range from guys sitting on their laurels to simply going as far as their capabilities allow.

In other words, the NFL is a "show me" league; you have to show your continuing evolution as a player from day 1 of mini-camp onwards or else. Apprarently O'C was not showing the year-to-year growth as a player that BB required of him all the way back to mini-camp and his performance against Washington may have been the last straw.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Evidently O'Connell either could not grasp the playbook, or his work ethic was lacking. I doubt they would have cut him due to a bad showing in a preseason game. Cassel looked pretty bad all last preseason, and he stuck. There is more behind this than a few bad decisions in a meaningless game. And I agree, if Brady is lost again for the season the outlook is pretty bleak, no matter who they bring in. But I cannot think of any QB who might get cut in the next week who would be a strong option. I'm kind of leaning toward them seeing something in Walter which made O'Connell expendable. Unless they have a trade in mind. We've seen the names of Thigpen and McCown thrown around. I don't think much of McCown, but Thigpen may have possibilities. BB has "insider" information on the kid, anyway! KO must have really been bad, though, for them to cut him after picking him so high.

Zig Zag, you need to stop twisting them up and burning them! You've reached your limit, or your stash is really good quality! Vick would never have fit into this offense, ex-con or not! The guy cannot throw for s h i t, and probably has trouble reading Cat in the Hat books! How he'd be able to master the playbook I have no idea. They had to write the playbook around him in Atlanta...and "dumb it down" on top of that! There are a lot of QBs who I think s u c k that I'd take over Vick for Brady's backup. Not even considering Vick's past issues.

And NEGAME (welcome back!), do you think BB has an interest in AJ Feeley? He likes guys who do well against NE, and Feeley has had a couple good games against the Patriots.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

somebody is comeing aboard,maybe greise.who ever it is it will have been better then we have,and had.its not like o-connell would have done a cassel if brady went down,we dont know this.i cant see walter being much better.who ever they bring in,may help for a few games,but if its anything like last season,i cant see that much help.lets hope the o-line works extra hard in keeping brady healthy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

lets hope the o-line works extra hard in keeping brady healthy.

I'm hoping they do than no matter who is backing him up! I'm sure those guys know Brady is their only ticket to the big game. I doubt they're worried much over who replaces KO!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2.. Show Tcal2.'s posts

He was absolutely horrible.  BB had no other choice but to cut him.

Re: pats/redskins

posted at 8/28/2009 10:24 PM EDT
    First: 8/5/2009
    Last: 8/30/2009
    Odd that there's a new QB in camp next week 2-1

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

When the Pats drafted him, didnt McDainels have alot to do with that, perhaps BB was never that high on him, but because MCdainels liked him alot BB took a chance

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Lets not forget we have Edelman on the roster. He did play QB in college. Does anyone know if the Pats have been working him out there?..not saying he is an adequate #2, but perhaps he can add something to the position.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]I'm surprised at this, Matt Cassel didn't me show anything that would make me think he could be a starter in the NFL but Bill kept him.   Looking through other team's rosters the possible candidates for the back-up are John Beck, Chase Daniels, and Sage Rosenfels.  Or Bill will keep the three remaining QBs he has on the roster and pray that number 12 doesn't get hurt. I have no idea why Bill drafts scrambling QBs after he had such success with Brady. It's like he's trying to create a Montana and Young situation. When the great pocket passing QB leaves, you play a scrambling QB. 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

Its a good thing Bill didnt listen to you about Cassel.

It says a lot to me anyway about Bradys shoulder. I guess it wasn't as bad as it looked. Pats have to like Andrew Walter at this point.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]I was extremely disappionted when the Pats drafted this kid.I was living in San Diego when he played at SDSU and the only draftable QB coming out of the area was Josh Johnson of USD.although I'd like to see the Pats get a vet. back up,Mr.Johnson would seem to be the odd man out in Tampa Bayand I think he would be a viable long term solution to the inevitable void that will be created once Mr Brady calls it quits.Lets face it,Brady has been an extremely durable QB and regardless of who the back up is, the season would most likely be lost should he suffer another injury.Now is the time to start looking at his relpacement because unfortunately, He wont be around forever.The Pats reached and missed with the drafting of O'Connell and I like the fact that they can see the error in their ways and part with this bust now and open up a roster spot for a more deserving player.That being said,I defn liek what little I've seen of Hoyer. UNlike the rag arm O'Connell,his passes have a lil zip and he could hopefully develop into a decent NFL qb.I wonder how much the departure of McDanielshad to do with O'Connells backslide.Time will tell.
    Posted by leatherhelmet[/QUOTE]

You are right Brady will not be around for ever, but with advancements in modern medicine its not crazy to think he could play until he was like 65 or 70! Shake and Bake.

Seriously Bub said it best about if Brady goes down the season is a goner but at the same time if we had a proven guy like a Sage or Thigpen its not crazy to think with our schedule we could get in the playoffs where anything can happen.

Sections
Shortcuts