Patriots give up on O'Connell

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

Re: Patriots give up on O'Connell

In Response to Re: Patriots give up on O'Connell:
    [QUOTE]Evidently O'Connell either could not grasp the playbook, or his work ethic was lacking. I doubt they would have cut him due to a bad showing in a preseason game. Cassel looked pretty bad all last preseason, and he stuck. There is more behind this than a few bad decisions in a meaningless game. And I agree, if Brady is lost again for the season the outlook is pretty bleak, no matter who they bring in. But I cannot think of any QB who might get cut in the next week who would be a strong option. I'm kind of leaning toward them seeing something in Walter which made O'Connell expendable. Unless they have a trade in mind. We've seen the names of Thigpen and McCown thrown around. I don't think much of McCown, but Thigpen may have possibilities. BB has "insider" information on the kid, anyway! KO must have really been bad, though, for them to cut him after picking him so high. Zig Zag, you need to stop twisting them up and burning them! You've reached your limit, or your stash is really good quality! Vick would never have fit into this offense, ex-con or not! The guy cannot throw for s h i t, and probably has trouble reading Cat in the Hat books! How he'd be able to master the playbook I have no idea. They had to write the playbook around him in Atlanta...and "dumb it down" on top of that! There are a lot of QBs who I think s u c k that I'd take over Vick for Brady's backup. Not even considering Vick's past issues. And NEGAME (welcome back!), do you think BB has an interest in AJ Feeley? He likes guys who do well against NE, and Feeley has had a couple good games against the Patriots.
    Posted by bubthegrub2[/QUOTE]

Hey Bub, yes feeley, in snooping around other sport sites, there's an opinion Feeley could be traded now that they have Vick. Don't you think he would be the best option out there. Doubt that Mangini would trade Anderson or Quinn to the Patriots!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

How much would you give up for Feely?  One of the seconds....I think that would be a lot?  A 3rd or 4th?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Where are all those people who were clamoring for "KO" last year now?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

It's more than what happened on the field.

Something else happened.

The Patriots didn't even tweet this. They tweeted the release of Tank.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]Its just more proof that  Brady is fine
    Posted by Encinitas[/QUOTE]
    I really, really hope you are right but you gotta wonder......with the way this went down (suddenly), it makes me think they know they need a better option and NOW!  I'm willing to bet they already have a trade partner and he'll be at camp this week.
    That being said, it wont be AJF as he's not going anywhere until MV is reinstated.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

i heard some talk on Sirius NFL radio today that damon huard probably won't make the roster in san fran. he can step right in here as the top back up because he already knows the system and is friendly with brady.
    something off the field probably did help push o'connell out of town, but one of the things about this organization is they don't care if a third round pick is outplayed by a undrafted rookie free agent (hoyer). i hope crable has his bags packed already, because we got a much better LB last year who was also undrafted (guyton - loved his speed off the edge friday night).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]i heard some talk on Sirius NFL radio today that damon huard probably won't make the roster in san fran. he can step right in here as the top back up because he already knows the system and is friendly with brady. something off the field probably did help push o'connell out of town, but one of the things about this organization is they don't care if a third round pick is outplayed by a undrafted rookie free agent (hoyer). i hope crable has his bags packed already, because we got a much better LB last year who was also undrafted (guyton - loved his speed off the edge friday night).
    Posted by artielang[/QUOTE]

Picked up Guyton same year as Crable. Crable hasnt had a chance to play yet. At least KO proved he didnt have much before we cut him. Guyton and Mayo appear to be future at MLB. Still room for Woods or Crable to take over for AD or Burgess. I heard Jim Miller as well and it does make sense.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

I do wish I got to see O'Connell scramble more. Maybe he got cocky and lazy after seeing what Cassell did last year. That doesn't quite make sense though.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nickelbean. Show nickelbean's posts

i think that that was a stupid move.  he knows the system better than any quaterback in the league besides brady and cassel and cassel looked horrible when he played with the back ups and then he did really good with the starters.  bad move bill.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]I do wish I got to see O'Connell scramble more. Maybe he got cocky and lazy after seeing what Cassell did last year. That doesn't quite make sense though.
    Posted by arodrambone[/QUOTE]

I don't think they wanted him to scramble.  I think they wanted him to use his head before his feet.  Well, we all saw how that worked out.  Guess they saw it wasn't gonna change as quickly as they needed it to.
    It really is a shame and a waste.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Patriots give up on O'Connell:
    [QUOTE]Patriots make change at QB, tell O'Connell he's released Posted by Mike Reiss, Globe Staff August 30, 2009 04:05 PM   The Patriots have made a surprising move at quarterback today, informing backup Kevin O'Connell that he was released, according to a league source. O'Connell, a third-round draft choice in 2008, was considered the leading candidate to be the team's top backup to Tom Brady entering training camp. In addition to Brady, the team now has five-year veteran Andrew Walter and rookie free agent Brian Hoyer on the roster at quarterback.
    Posted by Rocky[/QUOTE]

I'm betting that some folks are thinking that Vick would've been a good pick up before the iggles signed him....lol.  A day late and a dolla short.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZigZig. Show ZigZig's posts

I'm gona go burrie my head in the dirt. Everybody better hope Brady is ok and stays healthy...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

[QUOTE]Betcha, they got a trade working maybe with Philly??
    Posted by NEGAME[/QUOTE]

Gamer, I totally agree, AJ Feely, come on down!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

He was a 4.5 40 medium-stakes gamble.  Tremendous scrambler.  He just couldn't hit the broad side of a barn after a year of "getting better".  Sorry, kid.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

In Response to Patriots give up on O'Connell:
    [QUOTE]Patriots make change at QB, tell O'Connell he's released Posted by Mike Reiss, Globe Staff August 30, 2009 04:05 PM   The Patriots have made a surprising move at quarterback today, informing backup Kevin O'Connell that he was released, according to a league source. O'Connell, a third-round draft choice in 2008, was considered the leading candidate to be the team's top backup to Tom Brady entering training camp. In addition to Brady, the team now has five-year veteran Andrew Walter and rookie free agent Brian Hoyer on the roster at quarterback.
    Posted by Rocky[/QUOTE]

For all the "genius" and "In Bill We Trust" b.s. thrown around here, the Pats have had very bad drafts for five years now from rounds 2 through 5. O'Connell is another waste. We were saved by trading draft picks for Welker and Moss.....when we use the picks ourselves, they are mediocre or bomb out. And passing on obvious impact players to move down every year (which everyone praises BB for) has resulted in us missing out on known quantities who could have been stars in our system.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

[QUOTE]Betcha, they got a trade working maybe with Philly??
    Posted by NEGAME[/QUOTE]

O'Connell stinks. He isn't going anywhere. There are many good NFL second and third stringers around. BB knows this guy is horrible and is cutting losses now. No sense losing sleep over a mistake.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

[QUOTE]He was absolutely horrible.  BB had no other choice but to cut him. Re: pats/redskins posted at 8/28/2009 10:24 PM EDT Kmax Posts: 791 First: 8/5/2009 Last: 8/30/2009 Odd that there's a new QB in camp next week 2-1
    Posted by Kmax[/QUOTE]

Amen!!!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

[QUOTE]i heard some talk on Sirius NFL radio today that damon huard probably won't make the roster in san fran. he can step right in here as the top back up because he already knows the system and is friendly with brady. something off the field probably did help push o'connell out of town, but one of the things about this organization is they don't care if a third round pick is outplayed by a undrafted rookie free agent (hoyer). i hope crable has his bags packed already, because we got a much better LB last year who was also undrafted (guyton - loved his speed off the edge friday night).
    Posted by artielang[/QUOTE]

Sirius Radio guys don't know  anything. They have Huard going to the Jets to give Sanchez "mature mentoring". Sure. Ryan will cut Clemens or Ainge to get "mature mentoring." What is the QB coach there for? Besides, Huard is below average. The Pats need a guy who can step in if Brady goes down and win, not just a hold-the-fort mediocrity guy. Guyton is better than Crable.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

[QUOTE]Evidently O'Connell either could not grasp the playbook, or his work ethic was lacking. I doubt they would have cut him due to a bad showing in a preseason game. Cassel looked pretty bad all last preseason, and he stuck. There is more behind this than a few bad decisions in a meaningless game. And I agree, if Brady is lost again for the season the outlook is pretty bleak, no matter who they bring in. But I cannot think of any QB who might get cut in the next week who would be a strong option. I'm kind of leaning toward them seeing something in Walter which made O'Connell expendable. Unless they have a trade in mind. We've seen the names of Thigpen and McCown thrown around. I don't think much of McCown, but Thigpen may have possibilities. BB has "insider" information on the kid, anyway! KO must have really been bad, though, for them to cut him after picking him so high. Zig Zag, you need to stop twisting them up and burning them! You've reached your limit, or your stash is really good quality! Vick would never have fit into this offense, ex-con or not! The guy cannot throw for s h i t, and probably has trouble reading Cat in the Hat books! How he'd be able to master the playbook I have no idea. They had to write the playbook around him in Atlanta...and "dumb it down" on top of that! There are a lot of QBs who I think s u c k that I'd take over Vick for Brady's backup. Not even considering Vick's past issues. And NEGAME (welcome back!), do you think BB has an interest in AJ Feeley? He likes guys who do well against NE, and Feeley has had a couple good games against the Patriots.
    Posted by bubthegrub2[/QUOTE]

Cat In The Hat was on the mandatory reading list for English Lit at  Virginia Tech. Vick did pass that course with a C. So let's not pass judgement on his reading ability like this.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots give up on O'Connell : Sirius Radio guys don't know  anything. They have Huard going to the Jets to give Sanchez "mature mentoring". Sure. Ryan will cut Clemens or Ainge to get "mature mentoring." What is the QB coach there for? Besides, Huard is below average. The Pats need a guy who can step in if Brady goes down and win, not just a hold-the-fort mediocrity guy. Guyton is better than Crable.
    Posted by BostonBobBlowhard[/QUOTE]

Guyton plays in the middle, Crable plays on the outside. They aren't in direct competition with each other. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from donspartucus. Show donspartucus's posts

Joshuatree hit the nail on the head with the quote about Josh McDaniel's, it was probably Josh who wanted him and Bill pulled the plug!

Tyler Thigpen or AJ Feely here we come!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pondbridge. Show pondbridge's posts

The release isn't official until it is filed with the league by 4pm Sunday. This is designed to draw out McDaniel, who needs a QB and will believe that he can resurrect O'Connell. Pats get a 7th, which then is traded with a 4th to Phila for Feeley. BB loves guys who burn the Pats from other teams: Welker, Baker, Bodden.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pondbridge. Show pondbridge's posts

The release isn't official until it is filed with the league by 4pm Sunday. This is designed to draw out McDaniel, who needs a QB and will believe that he can resurrect O'Connell. Pats get a 7th, which then is traded with a 4th to Phila for Feeley. BB loves guys who burn the Pats from other teams: Welker, Baker, Bodden.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stupideeediot. Show Stupideeediot's posts

I really thought they'd try him out at WR or TE given his athleticism but I guess they have too many already at the positions.

Sections
Shortcuts