Patriots have a Strong interest in Schobel!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Patriots have a Strong interest in Schobel!

Michael Giardi has reported via twitter that the Pats have a very strong interest in Aaron Schobel.  I sure hope this is true!  To have a player of his caliber at a position of incredible need for the Pats at this point in the season, is gift the Pats can't pass up!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Re: Patriots have a Strong interest in Schobel!

Hmmmmm.  would be good, i think.  sure gave us fits.  even in special packages, nice to have a threat.  Maybe.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Nah, never mind.  If he wants big money, let him find a real 4-3.  Although I have been thinking maybe we should switch anyway, what with everyone going 3-4 and the parts getting harder to find.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I would also, if we are going to use him.  More and more it looks like Bill B is becoming a victim of his own success, and teams switch to the 3-4.  The Steelers were the only competition for those players, and now its like -who isn't?- and I am wondering if it is time to go 4-3 and stop converting people.  I'm sure the coaching staff have a good handle on this, but it appears to me that its becoming an issue.  Last year was a similar situation, I found myself wondering why we traded David Thomas and then didn't throw to Watson at all.  And sure enough, this year they blew up the position and started over.  Wondering if they are going to see if they can sign him, then just switch to the 4-3, let Cunningham play his natural position, and move on with what we have.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

sorry the thought that didn't make it out in my post above was -why sign him if he isnt going to play most downs, or has to be converted?- he doesn't have alot left, and signing him for 8 plays or 10 plays a game in the 4-3 doesn't seem wise.  So if we get him, i think the defense should reflect what he is good at.  Otherwise, why bother?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

yea, a one-year deal wouldn't be bad, although I bet that's the sticking point.

A lot of players want financial security in the face of a 2011 lockout.  They want three-year deals or greater.  

This is also a good reason for Mankins to sign instead of being greedy and asking for more than the $7mil/yr that they offered.  Otherwise, he stands to risk going a year without being paid if there is a lockout.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

WOOOHOOO!  I'm very excited they have the 'strong' interest - but the NEXT STEP is GET HIM SIGNED!  Cowboy UP Patriots - Bring Aaron here! God, we need him!  Pats better WOOO this guy - to bring him in.  They got nothing at this position and...Rusty - your exactly right about "You can't go into a season with 1 solid OLB in Banta-Cain and two wildcards" - 

We need Schobel here!  Go get him Pats! Let's not hear this and then come up short. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots have a Strong interest in Schobel!:
    [QUOTE]WOOOHOOO!  I'm very excited they have the 'strong' interest - but the NEXT STEP is GET HIM SIGNED!  Cowboy UP Patriots - Bring Aaron here! God, we need him!  Pats better WOOO this guy - to bring him in.  They got nothing at this position and...Rusty - your exactly right about "You can't go into a season with 1 solid OLB in Banta-Cain and two wildcards" -  We need Schobel here!  Go get him Pats! Let's not hear this and then come up short. 
    Posted by NOISE[/QUOTE]

I agree not to get to excited until Schobel signs on the dotted line with the Pats.  But considering the fact that the Pats made not big moves in this uncapped season, I'm pretty excited about anything.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from swheeler23. Show swheeler23's posts

[QUOTE]Bill always liked this guy. Almost like an old school type of player. Tough, Smart and quiet, does his job. Hope they sign him too.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

I read he wants to get paid. He will not be playing in New England.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

But he'll take less money to play close to home Russ, and if NE is going to get him, his agent will obviously try and nickle and dime NE for his services. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ricky1554atl. Show ricky1554atl's posts

He's 33 years old. Not much time left. He's played with Buffalo his whole caerer. If he wants to win, the choice between Seattle and N.E. is easy. We'll see.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JMichalski12. Show JMichalski12's posts

He was born and raised an hour from Houston. He just bought a house around there. He wants to be close to his family and wants to play close to home so Houston makes all the sense. the owner of the Texans came out and said he has interest. He apparently wants a one year payday! When asked about New England he said, " Yea, it's nice up there"....He is a beast and I would give him what he wants for a year. he is 33 but missed most of last year with a foot so he has another healthy year to add on.....Make this happen Bill........

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

The Pats have to find some way that they distinguish themselves from Houston...

Whether it's a better chance at a ring, more playing time, or a longer deal, I think they have to do it...

Situations where teams are in dire need of a position and a solid option falls out of the sky don't happen often...

This is a gift...the Pats NEED to take advantage...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

By the way there are also 30 other teams interested.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

GET HIM

Do whatever it takes. Just get him.

He immediately changes the entire outlook for the defense if they get him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots have a Strong interest in Schobel! : I agree not to get to excited until Schobel signs on the dotted line with the Pats.  But considering the fact that the Pats made not big moves in this uncapped season, I'm pretty excited about anything.
    Posted by Grogan77[/QUOTE]

Ever hear of Vince Wilfork, Leigh Bodden, Tully Banta Cain, Damione Lewis, Gerrard Warren, Stephen Neal, Torry Holt, Derrick Burgess and Kevin Faulk?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

The Pats have no interest in him at unless he wants to sign at a rock bottom price.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots have a Strong interest in Schobel! : I agree not to get to excited until Schobel signs on the dotted line with the Pats.  But considering the fact that the Pats made not big moves in this uncapped season, I'm pretty excited about anything.
    Posted by Grogan77[/QUOTE]

I actually thought the Patriots made some of the best moves in FA. They locked up the best NT in the game. They locked up 1 of the 2 best FA CB's in Bodden. They signed our sack leader last year, the best 3rd down back to ever play the game, signed a HOF wr in Holt, signed 2 former #1 DT's with some gas left(bolstering the run D) and had a high potential draft. I would be excited about Shoebel as well but your making it sound like we've done nothing.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

BB never does what we want, prove me wrong BB!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

I haven't heard any news or rumors on  Schobel front. Not on ESPN or ProFootballTalk.Com in roughly a day!  Has anyone?  Wonder what it means?  Maybe I have been asleep at the wheel.... ( I hope I am not setting myself up)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

I was thinking the same thing Hoier - where are all the rumors/talk about this.  My only thought on this was 'maybe' Schobel told teams (or his agent) I'm going home for the weekend to think things over - spend time with Family!  who knows.  Maybe more INFO etc - will come out this week - we'll see!  The only thing we heard so far, was a local sports guy here saying the pats are very interested.  Heck, they SHOULD be! IF Schobel is looking for big $$ - Then the Pats need to come up BIG here too! They have backed themselves in this corner - so they need to PAY UP to get out.  Schobel is a top PASS Rusher and to get him at this point of the season - would be incredible.  
    We lost Seymour before last year - let's at LEAST add Schobel before this season starts! C'mon Pats - Show Schobel the Money!

GET HIM! 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]I haven't heard any news or rumors on  Schobel front. Not on ESPN or ProFootballTalk.Com in roughly a day!  Has anyone?  Wonder what it means?  Maybe I have been asleep at the wheel.... ( I hope I am not setting myself up)
    Posted by Hoier[/QUOTE]

Sometimes the best moves are the ones we never hear about. It seems like when we get stuck in the middle of the rumor mill nothing ever ends up happening. 1 Thing with Schobel though. From what I understand he was not happy in Buffalo because they wanted him to move to OLB in the 3-4. He might not want to do that or move to a DE position in the 3-4 for us either. If I were him I would probably be looking to play somewhere similar to where I have spent my whole career. He's only got a couple-few years left.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots have a Strong interest in Schobel! : Sometimes the best moves are the ones we never hear about. It seems like when we get stuck in the middle of the rumor mill nothing ever ends up happening. 1 Thing with Schobel though. From what I understand he was not happy in Buffalo because they wanted him to move to OLB in the 3-4. He might not want to do that or move to a DE position in the 3-4 for us either. If I were him I would probably be looking to play somewhere similar to where I have spent my whole career. He's only got a couple-few years left.
    Posted by ewhite1065[/QUOTE]

Totally agree.  I'd really be surprised if he ends up here but stranger things have happened.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

I detect a faint odor, I can't quite make it out.

Ah, there it is again, can you smell it?

It smells like a rat, It smells like Jerry Jones