Patriots have so many Weapons - This Ravens game should be easier then week 3.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Patriots have so many Weapons - This Ravens game should be easier then week 3.

The loss of Gronk is big but not as big as last season.  The Patriots had to adapt during the regular season this year without Gronk and did so pretty good.  And then had to adapt last Sunday on the fly and they did, matter of fact, they looked great on offense vs the Texans last Sunday without Gronk.

The Patriots have so many weapons on offense, and if a game plan is put together properly this game should be another offensive highlight film.  Game plan and execution is everything.  The Patriots need to be creative here, with Vereen stepping up and showing he can be used as a receiver as well as a running back it just adds to what the Patriots can do.

hoomanawanui played well last weekend, he is a good blocker and he can catch the ball to.  I think he can play that 2nd TE position well enough to help and not hinder the Patriots.

Ridley as long as he can hold onto the ball is a very good running back and can carry the running game along with some help from Vereen, Woodhead if healthy and Bolden has shown good things too.

Lloyd can be used as a medium to deep threat to help open up the short to medium field. 

Welker, well we all know what he can do!

Last night I watched again last seasons playoff game against the Ravens  and this is a whole different team with a whole lot more weapons then last year.  The Ravens are pretty much the exact same.  I think this seasons game against the Ravens in week 3 was just an extension of last seasons playoff game.  This offense (and defense) has a whole new dynamic to them now then they did last season and week 3 of this season.  McDaniels was just finding out what he has with this team at week 3, I think after last weekends game he knows. 

I'm feeling better about this game, a lot better.  The right game plan needs to be made, and it needs to look a lot like last weekends game plan.

And this is just the offense, the defense is a whole lot different and better then week #3 too.  Again, the Patriots are a different team now, Ravens are the same as they have always been.

I'm currently downloading the coaches film of week 3, can't wait to watch it and see what they did in that game. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from markrahobeth. Show markrahobeth's posts

Re: Patriots have so many Weapons - This Ravens game should be easier then week 3.

Since the first meeting the Pats lose the best tight end in the game but are much better?

The ravens change their offense coordinator, return some injured players and seem to be getting more from their QB than ever before, but are the same?

Don't see the logic here.

The Pats should be favored in this game and I think they will win but this is some strange reasoning.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Re: Patriots have so many Weapons - This Ravens game should be easier then week 3.

As fans, I'm sure many of us would like to believe that the game will be "easier", but strange things happen during playoff games.  All we need to do is rewatch the last 2-3 games we've played against these ravens...lol

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

On paper the Pats may look like the superior team, but don't expect an easy win.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

No such thing as an "easier" game, but, we have to agree, the D has much improved since the first Ravens' game and the offense has learned to live without Gronk.  Who would have thought that once Gronk was lost in the 1st Quarter of the last game the offense would go on to score 41 points without him.  I am certain there were a lot of long faces early in that game then Vareen stepped up and plenty of smiles appeared.  If anything, Vareen's performance may have given the Ravens' more to think about, huh?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to markrahobeth's comment:

Since the first meeting the Pats lose the best tight end in the game but are much better?

The ravens change their offense coordinator, return some injured players and seem to be getting more from their QB than ever before, but are the same?

The Pats should be favored in this game and I think they will win but this is some strange reasoning.

Gronk had 2 catches for 21 yards in that game.  Hernandez was out and Kellen Winslow Jr. was brought in.  Vereen didnt play, Ridley had 37 rushing yards and Woodhead had 34 rushing yards.  Welker had 137 receiving yards and Lloyd had 108 receiving yards.  So basically the Patriots offense was pretty much Welker and Lloyd.

Fast forward to last Sunday's game against the Texans.  Receiving ...Welker 131 yards, Hernandez 85 yards, Vereen 83 yards.  Rushing... Ridley 82 yards, Vereen  41.

Patriots offense was Welker, Hernandez, Verren and Riddley.

Point is, Patriots have a lot of weapons, not Just Welker and Gronk and apparently the Patriots are working more players into the game plan and the best part is the players are able to step up and have an impact. This needs to continue.  Sure, the Ravens D will probably shut down a few of these options but with Gronk out it forces the Patriots to be creative and add new players to the plan, not just focus on Welker and Gronk. 

As for the Ravens, I think Suggs was the only one out in week 3, wasn't he?  And as far as the same, really what have they added?  Flacco is hot and cold so a lot rides on him.  He plays the Pats very good for some reason but the Pats are pretty much facing the same Ravens team, Patriots have like I said had many changes on offense and have found how to use several more and different players. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Suggs is a big addition. Corey Graham has stepped up but he's still no Webb.

That being said, Kruger and Suggs are both playing at a high level. That's the biggest thing. In week 3, they had no pass rush and that exposed their coverage unit. If Suggs and Kruger play like they played last week, then things will be different. Giants didn't have a great coverage unit last season and you saw how a strong pass rusher was able to limit the offense. In their last three real games, this defense has allowed 14 points (7 were in garbage time) to the Giants, 9 to the Colts, and 21 in 5 quarters against the Broncos. The personnel may not have changed as much, but theyre playing much better, and that matters too.

As for the Ravens offense, I'm not sure what Caldwell is doing differently, but theyve become much better. I thought running Ray Rice on every 1st down was dumb, but he is getting Ray Rice more touches than Cameron was. They have good weapons too. Anquan, Torrey, Pitta, Rice and Jacoby Jones is probably the most formidable set of weapons the Pats will have to go through all season (unless they play ATL). If Bernard Pierce plays, then that's another weapon they have to account for. That guy has been money this season.

This is going to be a very tough game. Don't expect it to be easier than week 3

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to jri37's comment:

In response to markrahobeth's comment:

In regards to Gronk I would have to agree with you about that being an issue but if you are looking for positives they were 4-1 without him and in the first match-up he had only 2 catches and 3 targets.

That being said i wish he were playing Sunday. 

You can't judge Gronk just on his catches and targets. He is a great blocker that helps the run game. Also, he's a big target down the field, even if Brady isn't targeting him, he's usually drawing at least two guys on him and opens up other people.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I agree with your thoughts here TFB but it is worth noting Brady's completion percentage dipped from 63 to 58 without Gronker. Our total yards per play dip from 6.0 to 5.4 . Imo we will have to focus more on using the RBs in the passing game and less on down field passing. WW will get his tough catches. hern will be doubled IMO. Ridley and Vareen NeEd the ball in their hands to go right at old Ray Lewis and wear him and his lb unit out. When the Ravens start adjusting is when we need to unleash Loyd on another play action td....just like we did to the texans a few weeks ago.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I'm not saying it will be an easy win but I think the Patriots offense will be much better then week 3, even without Gronk.  Actually the defense too.

Look for more players involved in the Patriots O game plan.  As for the D the Pats now have Talib, DMC at safety and they are shutting down the run.  If they can slow down Ray Rice and keep him under 100 then its all on Flaccos shoulders.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

But now just read Denard not at practice today.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

I agree with your thoughts here TFB but it is worth noting Brady's completion percentage dipped from 63 to 58 without Gronker. Our total yards per play dip from 6.0 to 5.4 . Imo we will have to focus more on using the RBs in the passing game and less on down field passing. WW will get his tough catches. hern will be doubled IMO. Ridley and Vareen NeEd the ball in their hands to go right at old Ray Lewis and wear him and his lb unit out. When the Ravens start adjusting is when we need to unleash Loyd on another play action td....just like we did to the texans a few weeks ago.

Could this be the result of running more often as running plays yield less yards per play than passes?  Also, the Pats have run more plays than last year, I believe, and that can reduce the yard per play numbers.  This may be a valid point IF the Pats stayed focused on the passing game and did not balance it out like they have with much more runs.  Also, look at the rushing TD count.  25, that alone would reduce the yards per play as many are of the short variety.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

Could this be the result of running more often as running plays yield less yards per play that passes?  This may be a valid point IF the Pats stayed focused on the passing game and did not balance it out like they have with much more runs.  Also, look at the rushing TD count.  25, that alone would reduce the yards per play as many are of the short variety.

Actually without checking I am sure that ourbalance trailed off after the Gronk injury. Most likely due to his amazing blocking ability. This is from I think week 10 on? Anyway I think it shows that Gronk commands attention and a decrease of 5 or 6 % on completions has to due with guys nobe getting the separation they would if Gronk was on the field. 

I just realized it is actually 65.7 to 58.4 % so a drop of over 7 % completion rate. Also a 23-3 td to int ratio with Gronk and a 11-6 without him. McD needs to call a great game and utilize all his weapons. Guys have to be open. That throw to Vareen wasamazing as was the WW pass but they were covered very well. We have seen teams pick those passes off a few times this year. Scheme, play calling and adjustmewill to put our players in the best spot to execute will win this game. We have our work cut out for us but I think even without Gronk this is the most versatile offense we have ever hd, ANd we will win this game.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

I'm not saying it will be an easy win but I think the Patriots offense will be much better then week 3, even without Gronk.  Actually the defense too.

Look for more players involved in the Patriots O game plan.  As for the D the Pats now have Talib, DMC at safety and they are shutting down the run.  If they can slow down Ray Rice and keep him under 100 then its all on Flaccos shoulders.

I hope so. I've generally been high on this defense since Talib but this will be the big test. That San Fran game was extremely disappointing as the defense gave up a lot of 20+ yard receptions. Flacco has a better deep ball than Tannehill, Sanchez, Fitzpatrick, Henne, and Schaub. Luck and Kaepernick are a push, but I think Flacco throws deep better than those two, and Torrey Smith scares me more than their WRs.

Does anyone know Talib's history against speedsters? Sounds like he'll be the one lining up on Torrey

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

the pats were 4-1 without gronk this year, and the only game they lost, talib and dennard were both out....the offense isnt the same without gronk, but they have adapted and have moved on. they played basically the whole game without gronk on sunday and they were able to put up 41. as far as how easy the game will be, i dont think it will be easy at all for the pats, i expect another tightly contested game and i expect myself to be on the edge of my seat praying they pull it off.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

the pats were 4-1 without gronk this year, and the only game they lost, talib and dennard were both out....the offense isnt the same without gronk, but they have adapted and have moved on. they played basically the whole game without gronk on sunday and they were able to put up 41. as far as how easy the game will be, i dont think it will be easy at all for the pats, i expect another tightly contested game and i expect myself to be on the edge of my seat praying they pull it off.

One of the things this forum needs to do is stay away from the "we are missing Gronk" thing!  If anything, an out of town poster will look at it as setting up an excuse if the Pats lose.  Like last year in the SB.  Difference in the Texans game, the Pats had some players step up and the team scored plenty without Gronk in the lineup.  The best approach here is to highlight those players we know can step up and how the offense will still succeed with the weapons at its disposal.  Like the OP is attempting.  Gronk is gone and we can't wax poetic now!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Angel-of-Light. Show Angel-of-Light's posts

Agree with TFB that the game should be easier. No replacement refs, playing at home, deep pass defense is much better. Offense is not the same without Gronk, but they were scoring the same number of points without him so overall team is better. Better defense means Brady & Co get to run more plays and this helps to compensate for losing Gronk. Baltimore D is not good this year, key people are either out (Webb) or playing hurt (Suggs, Lewis). Vegas knows its business: week 3 spread - Baltimore by 3, AFC champs game - Pats by 9.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to Angel-of-Light's comment:

Agree with TFB that the game should be easier. No replacement refs, playing at home, deep pass defense is much better. Offense is not the same without Gronk, but they were scoring the same number of points without him so overall team is better. Better defense means Brady & Co get to run more plays and this helps to compensate for losing Gronk. Baltimore D is not good this year, key people are either out (Webb) or playing hurt (Suggs, Lewis). Vegas knows its business: week 3 spread - Baltimore by 3, AFC champs game - Pats by 9.

Good post, I did not know the Pats were dogs by 3 the first game they played this season.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts