Patriots "inquiries/interest/visits" Thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Patriots "inquiries/interest/visits" Thread

Jeff Howe           Jeff Howe @jeffphowe

The Patriots are hot on cornerbacks. Been told they've inquired about Derek Cox and Chris Gamble.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Re: Patriots

Patriots-based free agency chatter

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4740671/patriots-based-free-agency-chatter?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

REPORTS: PATRIOTS EXPRESS INTEREST JOSH CRIBBS

03.09.13 at 6:16 pm ET By  Christopher Price     0 Comments   Josh Cribbs has reportedly drawn the interest of the Patriots. (AP)

Josh Cribbs has reportedly drawn the interest of the Patriots. (AP)

The latest free agent scuttlebutt involving the Patriots includes New England showing an interest in return man and receiver Josh Cribbs:

A report from the Cleveland Plain-Dealer indicated that New England was one of several teams who were already expressing interest in Cribbs. The 6-foot-1, 215-pound Cribbs has value as a multidimensional offensive threat and on special teams — he had 41 catches, 518 yards in 2011, both career highs, as well as 753 rushing yards and an average of 5.9 yards per carry. In addition, last season, he returned 38 punts for 457 yards and 43 kickoffs for 1,178 yards (27.4 yards per return). That would certainly deliver a boost to the New England return game, which averaged 21.2 yards on kickoff returns in 2012, placing it in the bottom half of the NFL. According to the Plain-Dealer, along with the Patriots, the Giants, 49ers, Cardinals and Cowboys have also shown interest in Cribbs.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Several teams are interested in Cribbs.

Matter of fact, several teams are interested in many of the players the Patriots are interested in.  Those teams will pay and possibly over pay for the players, something the Patriots aren't going to do.  But they can't be tight here, especially if its somebody they really like.  With that said, I'm sure there will be one great move BB will make and we will all say WOW to.  He does it every year!

And then we will all wonder and shake our heads at stuff like this....

The Patriots have reportedly shown interest in free agent Donte' Stallworth.

Any deal is expected to be "on the backburner," but the Pats won't have much competition. Stallworth is a 32-year-old straight-line deep threat with 24 catches over the past three seasons. He should be available for the NFL minimum.   Source: Jeff Howe on Twitter Mar 9 - 11:22 AM   No! Please no!  Been there, done that, a few times.  Just let him go and spend some money to get a real WR.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Pats interested in Sean Smith

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000149163/article/report-bucs-patriots-cardinals-in-lead-for-sean-smith

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

I had a feeling BB would go after Cribbs. Would be great to get him here

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

A nice idea as Cribbs has never played with a QB the caliber of TB. Maybe BB envisions him in the upgraded mold of Edelman and as the Browns are interested in him it almost sounds like the Pats and Browns are making a trade Edelman for Cribbs and then they can work on the Mallett for picks issue.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Good call bozo... I think Cribbs can do what Edleman does for us, but actually has better hands and health... I like it as a number 3-4 option.. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to Rocky's comment:

Patriots-based free agency chatter

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4740671/patriots-based-free-agency-chatter?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

good looks rocky... thanks for the link.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

IMO, Pats need to still focus more on DE/OLB and the pass rush vs. DBs.  If they still call vanilla plays and have no pass rush, it really doesn't matter who they have in the secondary.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

IMO, Pats need to still focus more on DE/OLB and the pass rush vs. DBs.  If they still call vanilla plays and have no pass rush, it really doesn't matter who they have in the secondary.

Agreed, but I think BB intends to do that in the draft...because IMO this FA class for DEs/DTs (who weren't tagged) isn't that strong. I think secondary and maybe WR will be a focus in FA.

It would not suprise me if he brings in a guy like Freeney as a situational pass rusher...but I don't expect him to sign someone like Kruger.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Disagree completely... while Pass-rush is necessary I think with the stock of DB's out there the pats should pounce.  They can get a Dwight Freeney if they want for a reasonable price later on.  they need to be active getting solid DB's...  Jones should take the next step and Nink is solid.  They can look for that in the draft from the intyerior spots.  Not to mention more cuts to come...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Cribbs would be a good fit here.  Stallworth's value is on special team as he is a good gunner when health and a good backup as a wide out. 

"Stallworth is a 32-year-old straight-line deep threat with 24 catches over the past three seasons. He should be available for the NFL minimum."   I say for minimum or just a little over it he is worth the value!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:I have them taking either Williams or Barrett jones with their first pick in the draft both guy are from a tree school Bama! The Dt williams is a load and he would fit in along side of The Fork nicely. If he's gone maybe BB shifts back to the other side of the line and there are possible openings on the O-line as Vollmer and Thomas are both UFA's thats were BB may focus because you still need the beef too protect Tom Terrific! 3 guys are graded high enough for the Patriots to draft on the O-line Fluker,Cooper and my boy Jones! He's the most versatile of the 3 as he has started at three positions at Alabama C,LT,and RG and he excelled at all three positions 1rst team SEC at C and LT.

Disagree completely... while Pass-rush is necessary I think with the stock of DB's out there the pats should pounce.  They can get a Dwight Freeney if they want for a reasonable price later on.  they need to be active getting solid DB's...  Jones should take the next step and Nink is solid.  They can look for that in the draft from the intyerior spots.  Not to mention more cuts to come...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

I feel you bozo, the draft is deep on the dline and should have some decent oline available as well.  That's why the Pats must get 2-3 free agent DB's IMO.  I think Arrington is gone, Dennard might do some time, Talib may sign else where, so that leaves the pats dangerously thin at CB.  The D line is actually pretty deep even in there are not big difference makers.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from laynard. Show laynard's posts

Big fan of Sean Smith, but was surprised to hear "everyone" say he had a bad year last year, seemed pretty good to me. Big, tough physical corner with loads of talent and confidence, and he can actually make it through a whole season. He's my binky this year...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

With Talib and Arrington as FAs, the Pats absolutely have to get some DBs on board during free agency or they will be hamstrung in the draft. Can't start the off season with 1 CB on you roster. At worst resign both of them, at best get an upgrade or two.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Based on what Suggs has said, the "inside scoop" among players is that the Pats is a despised organization to play for, isn't it?  So, why do players entertain coming here?  What it means is Suggs is full of it and simply has this "thing" about the Pats that even supercedes his enjoyment of winning a SB so much he still has to talk negatively about the team.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

The Kansas City Star suggests the Chiefs might use Dunta Robinson at safety.

Robinson lacks ideal size -- he's listed at 5-foot-10, 183 -- but that's not  too small for a free safety. In 2012, Pro Football Focus graded Robinson as the NFL's No. 4 run-support corner, behind only Antoine Winfield, Chris Harris, and Jason McCourty. The Chiefs could use Robinson on a Ronde Barber-like role, playing free safety on early downs and covering the slot in the nickel.   This is why i wanted the Pats to go get him.  But its ok as long as they get Talib or Smith!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Welker47. Show Brady2Welker47's posts

Pats interested in Wallace

Pats interested in Smith

Pats interested in Jennings 

Pats interested in Freeney

Pats interested in Abraham

Pats interesred in Gamble

Pats interested in Cox

Pats interested in Cribbs

I love it! Every other article i read...Question is who is BB really interested in?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

In response to Brady2Welker47's comment:

Pats interested in Smith

Pats interested in Cox

I love it! Every other article i read...Question is who is BB really interested in?

My guess is that BB is surveying his options, just trying to cut down his list (based on player interest and contract demands).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

I signed Greg Jennings and Danny Amendola in my Madden Franchise, and let Welker walk.  Let's see if BB does the same!

Note: I don't expect this nor do I want it to happen  I am just throwing out some fuel for thought.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to AyyyBoston's comment:

In response to Brady2Welker47's comment:

Pats interested in Smith

Pats interested in Cox

My guess is that BB is surveying his options, just trying to cut down his list (based on player interest and contract demands).

BB fools everyone when they try and guess what he's really after. I've only guessed right one time on his draft plans the year he took Solder so his drafting is confusing enough without trying to guess what he thinks his teams actual needs are! We think he needs positions X,Y,and Z when in actuality it's positions S,T,and U. I get a feeling that BB is sucking in several teams to eliminate the competition on who he really wants to sign!! I think Wallace is either the target or the smoke screen,and the same could be said of Smith and every other player on the open market. After last years draft when he pulled a double trade up scenario and took two of the top tier defenders I just threw my hands up in the air and said he's done it again! So why should FA period be any different? He's already signed a few guys before anyone else did, the two kids from the Canadian league Armstead and Vega as well as M.Bernard who looked so promising before an injury,so he's adjusted to the need for interior defensive linemen as well as the need for a Bruschi type player in the likes of Bernard. It wouldn't surprise me if he went after Harrison,Freeney or Abraham just to make sure he has the pieces he needs to compete at a high level. Also watch out for Ellerbe from the Ravens someone is making a play for him but noone is linked to him.Well fun times start on Tuesday!!! I got my money on BB outslicking the competition again.....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

This kind of thread is the reason I enjoy visiting here.  Thanks for the helpful and informed discussion, guys.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

This kind of thread is the reason I enjoy visiting here.  Thanks for the helpful and informed discussion, guys.

+1

Sections
Shortcuts