Patriots "inquiries/interest/visits" Thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Patriots

In response to rkarp's comment:

Kicking the tires on Cribbs helps establish cost parameters on Edelman. I prefer Edelman as I think he is far superior as a WR. 

I agree he's a better WR but he can't stay on the field. Being better doesn't do much good if you can't stay on the field

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Rocky's comment:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

League-wide expectation is that WR Mike Wallace winds up in Miami with the Dolphins.

not a big shock. He was rumored to be heading to the Phins back in Dec. Now the question is how much will it cost them. Either way looks like Smith is on his way out. Interesting CB option. High talent but gave up a lot of big plays last year. Not sure if I'd give Smith big money but a good option if Talib isn't coming back

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

A.Wilson (a little old, but smart and plays the ball as wells as hits hard, could be good for one year with limited role)

J.Cribbs(still explosive as returner, can get you 40 catches, is a leader)

C.Gamble( veteran playmaker who is steady and would be an upgrade here)

Dereck Cox(prow bowl caliber player who came on a couple years back, could be our #1)

Charles Woodson(if healthy, part time player, Nickel,Rover position)

Kenny Phillips(Hasnt stayed healthy but could be the dynamic player we need for a while)

John Abraham(strictly a part time player. If he comes at 1yr/1m, I think he is worth it. If healthy he offers another rusher on 3rd down)

I dont really care what big name WR they bring in because I know anyone will help and I wont list any big names because I really dont think they will go there.

I also believe the Pats should NOT invest in Talib despite him playing here, because the markert is flooded with good talent at CB and talib has injury problems w/hammy and hip. Buyer beware.

You can never have enough CBs, BB always sais, so I expect him to pick up atleast 2 and maybe 3 Cbs in Free Agency and I think its the perfect time to do so. Maybe we can go a year without drafting one..

I like S.Smith but he is young with Ideal size and so he is gonna GET PAID! but I think the Pats can do well for themselves if they play this right...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Dunta Robinson(perfect slot CB, upgrade to Kyle) - already signed with KC on a 3 yr deal...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to thehub's comment:

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

In response to thehub's comment:

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

I really like the Cribbs idea... tough player, athletic, good size and has the versatility to contribute/impact in (2) "phases of the game", something that BB puts a lot of value in.

Mb - I always repesct your thoughts on the Pats, and perhaps I am wrong but I don't like the Cribbs move. Do you think this is releated to the news about Demps going back to track? Does BB value the return game more than we think? 

The return game was ranked 29th last year.  Why not kill 2 birds with one stone.

It's BB's way.

Good point and DM is really bad to watch back there. Thats why I thought the Demps signing last was great. The question is at what cost will Cribbs cost? Will Josh mix him in enough on O? 

Cribbs has never really played a big role on offense. He is a 50-60 catch guy if you target him enough but not healthy or consisten enough in the past to warrant being on the field full time. Coming here, I would only want him returning punt and kicks and chipping in on offense with reverses, bubble screens and a few Wes type catches over the middle, but you have to be careful not to overuse him as he will get hurt and that was his problem in Cleveland. He wont be needed that much here on O and thats a good thing

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to NOISE's comment:

Dunta Robinson(perfect slot CB, upgrade to Kyle) - already signed with KC on a 3 yr deal...

Dam, My Bad! Didnt watch any news this morning. Welp, there is plenty of help still out there. Any one know the #s on the contract yet?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Dam, By Bad! Didnt watch any news this morning. Welp, there is plenty of help still out there. Any one know the #s on the contract yet?

No worries, it won't be officially announced until tomorrow (I believe)....but here is NFL.com article:  http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000148991/article/dunta-robinson-kansas-city-chiefs-agree-to-contract

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Dam, By Bad! Didnt watch any news this morning. Welp, there is plenty of help still out there. Any one know the #s on the contract yet?

No worries, it won't be officially announced until tomorrow (I believe)....but here is NFL.com article:  http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000148991/article/dunta-robinson-kansas-city-chiefs-agree-to-contract

ok, Thanks

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Jut gets more interesting every day with cuts of veterans. Mikell cut so another good safety in the pool. Nnamdi should be joining the list of CBs soon as well.

Guys I hope for in order:

Safety: Quin, Wilson, Mikell, Woodson - do not want to overpay for Reed.

CB: Cason, Toler, Lewis, Houston, Gamble, Cox, Smith - OK with Talib coming back, but think the others may be cheaper and less of a headache.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

A.Wilson (a little old, but smart and plays the ball as wells as hits hard, could be good for one year with limited role)

J.Cribbs(still explosive as returner, can get you 40 catches, is a leader)

C.Gamble( veteran playmaker who is steady and would be an upgrade here)

Dereck Cox(prow bowl caliber player who came on a couple years back, could be our #1)

Charles Woodson(if healthy, part time player, Nickel,Rover position)

Kenny Phillips(Hasnt stayed healthy but could be the dynamic player we need for a while)

John Abraham(strictly a part time player. If he comes at 1yr/1m, I think he is worth it. If healthy he offers another rusher on 3rd down)

I dont really care what big name WR they bring in because I know anyone will help and I wont list any big names because I really dont think they will go there.

I also believe the Pats should NOT invest in Talib despite him playing here, because the markert is flooded with good talent at CB and talib has injury problems w/hammy and hip. Buyer beware.

You can never have enough CBs, BB always sais, so I expect him to pick up atleast 2 and maybe 3 Cbs in Free Agency and I think its the perfect time to do so. Maybe we can go a year without drafting one..

I like S.Smith but he is young with Ideal size and so he is gonna GET PAID! but I think the Pats can do well for themselves if they play this right...

agree hip and hamstring problms dotn bode weel. was on smith awhile back and moore. morre signed i hear.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Denver cartoonist but funny

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from quinzpatsfan. Show quinzpatsfan's posts

In response to Rocky's comment:

REPORTS: PATRIOTS EXPRESS INTEREST JOSH CRIBBS

03.09.13 at 6:16 pm ET By  Christopher Price     0 Comments   Josh Cribbs has reportedly drawn the interest of the Patriots. (AP)

Josh Cribbs has reportedly drawn the interest of the Patriots. (AP)

The latest free agent scuttlebutt involving the Patriots includes New England showing an interest in return man and receiver Josh Cribbs:

A report from the Cleveland Plain-Dealer indicated that New England was one of several teams who were already expressing interest in Cribbs. The 6-foot-1, 215-pound Cribbs has value as a multidimensional offensive threat and on special teams — he had 41 catches, 518 yards in 2011, both career highs, as well as 753 rushing yards and an average of 5.9 yards per carry. In addition, last season, he returned 38 punts for 457 yards and 43 kickoffs for 1,178 yards (27.4 yards per return). That would certainly deliver a boost to the New England return game, which averaged 21.2 yards on kickoff returns in 2012, placing it in the bottom half of the NFL. According to the Plain-Dealer, along with the Patriots, the Giants, 49ers, Cardinals and Cowboys have also shown interest in Cribbs.

The need for a kick returner has been underrated for some reason.  McCourty is the best KR on the team and hes above average but not great in my opinion, there's 11 guys that need to contribute to good kickoff returns.  I also don't like having such an important starter as KR too much injury risk

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

In response to anonymis' comment:

IMO, Pats need to still focus more on DE/OLB and the pass rush vs. DBs.  If they still call vanilla plays and have no pass rush, it really doesn't matter who they have in the secondary.

Disagree completely... while Pass-rush is necessary I think with the stock of DB's out there the pats should pounce.  They can get a Dwight Freeney if they want for a reasonable price later on.  they need to be active getting solid DB's...  Jones should take the next step and Nink is solid.  They can look for that in the draft from the intyerior spots.  Not to mention more cuts to come...

i stand by my opinion and rationale.  I'm not saying don't get DBs. What I am saying is that even if they load up on adequate DBs it's not going to make a whole lot of difference if they don't address pass rush and make better defensive calls. Jones can't do it alone...and the other DE/OLBs are not enough.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Patriots-based free agency chatter

March, 11, 2013

By Mike Reiss | ESPNBoston.com

Sharing some links, thoughts and analysis on some of the Patriots-based chatter during the "legal tampering period" of free agency: 

1.  Kraft -- Brady wants to play beyond 40. Mike Garafolo of USA Today catches up with Patriots owner Robert Kraft in New York, and the topic of Tom Brady's contract extension came up. The extension takes Brady to his 40th birthday, although Kraft thinks that might not be the end point for Brady. ""We have a contract now until he's 40, but he'd like to play beyond that," Kraft says. 

2.  Will 'Skins be competition for Patriots with Talib? The Patriots hope to re-sign cornerback Aqib Talib, although the presence of Talib's former coach (Raheem Morris) and general manager (Bruce Allen) could make the Redskins a contender for Talib's services. Mike Garafolo of USA Today touches on this dynamic. One wonders if the Redskins will have the cap space to contend for Talib's services. 

3.  Getting to know Desmond Bryant. Yahoo! Sports NFL columnist Jason Cole tweeted that Raiders defensive lineman Desmond Bryant has multiple teams interested in him, including the Patriots. Over the last three days, we've treaded lightly when it comes to tweets and stories about the Patriots "expressing interest" in a player; the idea is to pass along the information while noting the context that any player/agent would naturally want to pass along word that there are multiple suitors. In this case, Bryant (6-6, 311) has the type of physical makeup and upside that could be appealing to the Patriots. He's 27 and entering his fifth season. 

4.  Cruz control for Patriots. CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora passed along word that "several sources believed the Patriots would make a run at [Giants receiver Victor] Cruz, but that was prior to Cruz changing agents recently and going with Tom Condon." The Giants are tendering Cruz at the first-round level as a restricted free agent. It would be hard to imagine the Patriots getting involved at that draft-compensation level, as well as dishing out the big contract. 

5.  Carter finds home in Calgary. Patriots 2011 sixth-round draft choice Markell Carter is attempting to revive his career in the Canadian Football League, having signed with Calgary today. Carter, who spent most of his rookie season on the Patriots' practice squad, didn't hook on with another NFL team after the Patriots released him in 2012.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Tim Graham         Tim Graham @ByTimGraham

Source tells me former Bills WR Donald Jones is visiting the Patriots today.

Was RFA but not tendered by Buffalo.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Christopher Price         Christopher Price @cpriceNFL

You guys remember Donald Jones, right? I know Vince Wilfork does. http://bit.ly/SQWB51 

Sections
Shortcuts