Patriots "inquiries/interest/visits" Thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: Patriots

I really like the Cribbs idea... tough player, athletic, good size and has the versatility to contribute/impact in (2) "phases of the game", something that BB puts a lot of value in.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

I do think BB is very careful in the news that slips out about intentions in draft and/or FA. He doesn't like being leveraged by agents or players and has been known to drop interest when they publicize the talks he has.

I think there is no doubt that CB is of interest, but hearing specific names may be him getting market intel relative to other CBs of real interest. Contact Smith's agent to find out the market for DRC a similar player with similar 'consistancy' issues for example.

As others have said - reading BB based on rumors or external expectations is a losers game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In response to Brady2Welker47's comment:

Pats interested in Wallace

Pats interested in Smith

Pats interested in Jennings 

Pats interested in Freeney

Pats interested in Abraham

Pats interesred in Gamble

Pats interested in Cox

Pats interested in Cribbs

I love it! Every other article i read...Question is who is BB really interested in?

The Jedi mind trick is going on

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to mia76's comment:

I do think BB is very careful in the news that slips out about intentions in draft and/or FA. He doesn't like being leveraged by agents or players and has been known to drop interest when they publicize the talks he has.

I think there is no doubt that CB is of interest, but hearing specific names may be him getting market intel relative to other CBs of real interest. Contact Smith's agent to find out the market for DRC a similar player with similar 'consistancy' issues for example.

As others have said - reading BB based on rumors or external expectations is a losers game.

True. All this information leaked over this weekend about corners (with none being mentioned about Talib) could be a formula to drive interest away from Talib. There must of been 100 rumors going down last night and I didn't hear a single one about Talib. Think about it....the team Talib plays for has reached out to just about every cornerback, but him. That can't help his demands for wanting a ridiculous contract.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehub. Show thehub's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

I really like the Cribbs idea... tough player, athletic, good size and has the versatility to contribute/impact in (2) "phases of the game", something that BB puts a lot of value in.

Mb - I always repesct your thoughts on the Pats, and perhaps I am wrong but I don't like the Cribbs move. Do you think this is releated to the news about Demps going back to track? Does BB value the return game more than we think? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to thehub's comment:

Mb - I always repesct your thoughts on the Pats, and perhaps I am wrong but I don't like the Cribbs move. Do you think this is releated to the news about Demps going back to track? Does BB value the return game more than we think? 

The return game was ranked 29th last year.  Why not kill 2 birds with one stone.

It's BB's way.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehub. Show thehub's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

The return game was ranked 29th last year.  Why not kill 2 birds with one stone.

It's BB's way.

Good point and DM is really bad to watch back there. Thats why I thought the Demps signing last was great. The question is at what cost will Cribbs cost? Will Josh mix him in enough on O? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The longer free agents dangle out there the more the marketplace determines their worth and the prices become more reasonable, more vets will get cut and our choices will almost make themselves.

I'm sure there is a short list of players that BB wants, we'll never know who they are until those players are made an offer or signed outright.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

The question I would have is, what specifically don't you like about it?

BB puts a tone of value in ST and NE has ranked 25th and 29th in yards per kick return over the last two seasons, so there's huge room for improvement there and Cribbs is the kinda player that can give you that, averaging 25.8 YPR over 387 career KR's... his 10,015 KR yards are 5th all time... he also has some ability to produce as a WR.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

So say Cribbs comes here...would that mean the Pats would tell Demps "go back to track and enjoy it, you are done here"?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

So say Cribbs comes here...would that mean the Pats would tell Demps "go back to track and enjoy it, you are done here"?

No idea what BB would tell him... what I do know is that Cribbs is a proven commodity and Demps has done jack squat at the NFL level.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Anyone know the status of Allen?  He was on IR last year but he is a 12 year vet CB and if health he is as good as Arrington . .  .

Cribbs over Demps any day . . .  he is a proven player in the NFL who can take a hit

Jarid Cook (TE) would be perfect in here and free Herdandez to play in Lloyn's spot or as an H-back and he can also play wideout with his speed.

Like to see Quin (s) Houston come in here . . .  young, fast, and stays on the field . . . something of a problem for the Pats defensive backs!

Wheeler of Oakland maybe the best cover LB out there and they need once unless they think Fletcher can do the job.

Think  Armstead may end up being their find of the year  . . . the the heart is health this guy was a player at USC!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

On ST and BB - he does value it, but I think he and others miscalculated the KR value when the league change the yardline a few years back. The prevailing attitude was that the KR was dead, but it really hasn't changed that much since the rule change.

In hind sight, I think BB might have kept Tate (he was cheap at the time) and seen if he could develop a bit more as a WR. And I think he is now shopping for an upgrade to the current options. He also needs to find someone for punts as well if Edelman leaves.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

The question I would have is, what specifically don't you like about it?

BB puts a tone of value in ST and NE has ranked 25th and 29th in yards per kick return over the last two seasons, so there's huge room for improvement there and Cribbs is the kinda player that can give you that, averaging 25.8 YPR over 387 career KR's... his 10,015 KR yards are 5th all time... he also has some ability to produce as a WR.

Can Cribbs play WR?  I'd almost rather they look at Ginn. At least Ginn has the WR exprience. I don't recall Cribbs doing much as a starting WR.

He has 107 career receptions, 41 catches in 2011... wasn't utilized much there in 2012 with only 11 targets... though for what it's worth, Ginn was only targeted twice last season.

Ginn could get a look, but I prefer Cribbs, who's bigger, tougher and has better career YPR averages for both KR's and PR's.

Cribbs also has a better TD/Return ratio with (1) TD every 52.9 returns, Ginn's is (1) TD every 60.6 returns.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:

The TD return in the Superbowl was the difference. Special Teams in the NFL is huge, people just take it for granted.

Agreed, we need that difference maker. But we also need a special teams that doesn't allow returns. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Cribbs is explosive. He is exactly the type of player the pats need. I would guess that his production at WR would increase with the pats. He could easily spell any production we would have got from Edelman, plus he is a much better returner. Sign him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

More Mallett talk, this was posted on CNN-SI today;

With quarterback Matt Moore re-signing with the Dolphins and Brian Hoyer staying in Arizona with a second-round tender in restricted free agency, the Browns suddenly find themselves faced with the reality of a shortage at the position in free agency. As a result, Cleveland is still expected to pursue a trade for Patriots back-up QB Ryan Mallett, Cleveland Plain-Dealer reporter Mary Kay Cabot wrote Saturday. A different source in the same article said Patriots coach Bill Belichick will not part with the former third-round pick. Patriots quarterback Tom Brady signed a three-year extension this offseason, putting him in New England through 2017, when he will be 40 years old. Mallett has two years left on his rookie contract. Cabot wrote the Patriots wouldn't part with him for less than a second-round pick. Cleveland does not have a second-round pick in this draft; it was used in the supplemental draft to select wide receiver Josh Gordons

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

More Mallett talk, this was posted on CNN-SI today;

With quarterback Matt Moore re-signing with the Dolphins and Brian Hoyer staying in Arizona with a second-round tender in restricted free agency, the Browns suddenly find themselves faced with the reality of a shortage at the position in free agency. As a result, Cleveland is still expected to pursue a trade for Patriots back-up QB Ryan Mallett, Cleveland Plain-Dealer reporter Mary Kay Cabot wrote Saturday. A different source in the same article said Patriots coach Bill Belichick will not part with the former third-round pick. Patriots quarterback Tom Brady signed a three-year extension this offseason, putting him in New England through 2017, when he will be 40 years old. Mallett has two years left on his rookie contract. Cabot wrote the Patriots wouldn't part with him for less than a second-round pick. Cleveland does not have a second-round pick in this draft; it was used in the supplemental draft to select wide receiver Josh Gordons

Good report and I see something getting done. Might have to be a 3rd this year and a conditional 3rd round pick that could turn into a 2nd next year but I see something getting worked out. Way to much value in trading Mallett this year as opposed to letting him walk in 2 years

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I'm indifferent with the Cribbs rumor depending on how much he's looking to get. I see him as more of an Edelman replacement, but more durable. A decent #3/4 WR who would be the 6th receiving option on the team but great in the return game. Unless he signs to a reasonable contract, similar to what Edelman will get, I wouldn't want him. Truthfully he isn't a good WR or an average one. I mean the guy only had 7 recs last year playing 16 games and starting 2. I don't care who your QB is, if you are on a horrible receiving team and you are any good at all you should get more then 7 recs over an entire year. Additionally he's only had more then 25 recs once in his career. Again I don't care who your QB is, if you are on a team with very weak WR's to begin with you should put up more numbers then that. So, unless Cribbs takes next to nothing to come here then no thank you as he'd be primarily a STer and not even close to adding to an already thin WR position

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

What FA qb's are left on the open market? Do the browns have a choice? It would seem the mallet trade to Cleveland makes too much sense. I posted earlier that a 3rd this year and 2ns/3rd next might be enough To get it done. The browns3rd this year is a high 3rd, and their 2nd next would be expected to be a high 2nd so for me no brainier here if Lombardi and bb agree. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Trade Mallett for Gordon.

As for Cribbs, two concerns:

1. do you pay FA (meaning inflated) money for a kickoff returner, when kickoffs are essentially being taken out of the game?

2. having Cribbs means they would have significant money tied up in two WRs (he and Slater) who don't actually play the position.

If they plan to sign Cribbs to use him as a WR, then why not sign someone else who actually has a track record at the position?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Kicking the tires on Cribbs helps establish cost parameters on Edelman. I prefer Edelman as I think he is far superior as a WR. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

League-wide expectation is that WR Mike Wallace winds up in Miami with the Dolphins.