Patriots-Jets Matchup

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Re: Patriots-Jets Matchup

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

I say this before every game with the Jets, but I'll say it again. expect a nail-bitter. A lot of the time they play us tough, and in wake of all of our recent injuries I would expect nothing less. I'm a little concerend about some of the matchups in this game, but I think we will ultimately win. Their D-line might give us trouble, as well as their rushing attack against our depleted front 7. Should be fun.

Haven't we beaten them 5 times in a row?  I think the short week in Week 2, the rooks and the monsoon helped the Jets in  Week 2.

They can't cover and with the rookies further along, Collie added, good RBs healthier, I just don't see how this changes.

Also, when was the last time we had a nailbiter?  Even in the low scoring 13-10 game, the Pats were clearly in control.

Their O Line is weak, their RBs and WRs are weak and their QB is a rookie, in line to be another bust.

BB gets a second look at a rookie QB in the division and it is never a good result for the opponent. See Sanchez in 2009.

Their D Line consists of two key people, Wilkerson and the rookie. Their other starters are hacks. I can see some zone blocking early and often to get into their LBs, downhill.

Screens/short passes early with the running should leave their pass coverage helpless in this one.

Makes sense. These Jets games just seem to make me nervous. They always seem to play out closer than they should. We'll see.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

I say this before every game with the Jets, but I'll say it again. expect a nail-bitter. A lot of the time they play us tough, and in wake of all of our recent injuries I would expect nothing less. I'm a little concerend about some of the matchups in this game, but I think we will ultimately win. Their D-line might give us trouble, as well as their rushing attack against our depleted front 7. Should be fun.

Absolutely.  What fun would it be if it were a Patriot blowout?  Laughing

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

Defensively they better be ready for 30+ runs between the tackles. Without Vince & Kelly it will be difficult to keep the O lineman of the Jet's from getting to the 2nd level keeping them off the LB's. The safeties better be ready to stop the run.

I believe Talib is the bigger factor. If he does not play, I can see NYJ throwing a lot behind the LBs.

Normally I would agree with you but no Holmes or Winslow. I feel more confident defending Kerley, Hill and Cumberland without Talib than I do stopping the run between the tackles without Kelly, Wilfork and Mayo.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Just heard Rex talk about. The game

you would never believe it was the same coach

total respect and soft spoken

i think he's learning to be more like BB

thinking around here is   8/8 will save his job

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to seawolfxs' comment:

Just heard Rex talk about. The game

you would never believe it was the same coach

total respect and soft spoken

i think he's learning to be more like BB

thinking around here is   8/8 will save his job

The Pat's are the bane of Rex's existence. He would give his proverbial left you know what to beat them.

Rex Ryan told his players to abstain this week, unless he didn’t

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/16/rex-ryan-told-his-players-to-abstain-this-week-unless-he-didnt/

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Just seems odd that a Head coach would show his insecurity about an opponent where he would have his team prepare differently for one team versus how they prepare for all the other teams they play.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Did you see the defensive formations that pats used against no?

3 dl 6 lbs and 2 DBS on one and totally different on another with cbs lined as safeties etc.

I know other teams are using moe lb at times, but BB seems to have more exotic looks than anyone else

I don't remember seeing this in the last few years, I believe Bb Finally has more talent, and he is really going to screw up some Qbs minds and recvers who don't know where to run

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

that link was funny. I can't believe the stuff that comes out before games.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to seawolfxs' comment:

Did you see the defensive formations that pats used against no?

3 dl 6 lbs and 2 DBS on one and totally different on another with cbs lined as safeties etc.

I know other teams are using moe lb at times, but BB seems to have more exotic looks than anyone else

I don't remember seeing this in the last few years, I believe Bb Finally has more talent, and he is really going to screw up some Qbs minds and recvers who don't know where to run

Because Talib gave the defense a chance to move around and  be more flexible?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

The big secret here is the O Line and from there it's how the Jets secondary cannot match up in coverage. If the protection is there, Brady will have a field day.  Big Ben shredded them last week and that's with a weaker O Line, weaker RBs and a weaker spread of WRs, even with Antonio Brown and Sanders. Everyone knew where the ball was going for the Jets, and they still couldn't stop it.  

Their secondary blows as do their LBS in coverage.  Get a run game going and then open up the playaction.  Ball game.

We may have rookie WRs and whatnot but their back end is awful. Don't turn it over, play good field position and they should pull away.

They're going to try to hammer the rock to give Geno Bust a chance. Very curious to see how BB sets up Geno Bust this week with more film out and a second crack to adjust from Week 2 where they dominated him.

Agree. Brady gets time he will light them up. Personally I think cromartie is a pretty good corner. I think they put him on thompkins, trying to take him away. This could be a nice game for Edelman and collie, and, if Gronk plays. 

second, more than a few games have past since we played them last. Our rook Wrs are getting better by the week, and, Gronk should hopefully return this week. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Agree. Brady gets time he will light them up. Personally I think cromartie is a pretty good corner. I think they put him on thompkins, trying to take him away. This could be a nice game for Edelman and collie, and, if Gronk plays. 

second, more than a few games have past since we played them last. Our rook Wrs are getting better by the week, and, Gronk should hopefully return this week. 

Here's the thing tho.  The Jets run D is pretty good. I think we only had 55 running yards last game. Some would also argue that the Jets DL matches up pretty well against the Patriots OL.  So, if they take away the Patriots run game, and they get to Brady - it may be a close game.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

scouting report on jets

http://www.boston.com/sports/blogs/goingdeep/2013/10/scouting_the_new_york_jets.html

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

How does nobody recall the WR's getting WIDE OPEN against the Jets down the field only for Brady to either A) Not throw to them or B) overthrow them? That game should have been a blowout last time they played if he completes 2 more passes.

They may not be able to run the ball all that well against a tough Jets run defense, but they still need to do it, particularly early, to set up screens and play action. I'd be happy with a 50/50 split, even if they can just get 3.5+ YPC.

Didn't Rex pull Dee Milliner in the second half in an effort to not ruin his confidence because he was getting burned out there? If they cover the same way they did in the first game, and Brady even has his C game out there, they're going to have a field day. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeDerrWEDAT. Show WeDerrWEDAT's posts

The pats should be throwing a ton of screens this week to neutralize the Jets DL.  I think Ben threw 11 screens last week against us.

Cro is off his game this year, shell of himself from 2012. Dont know if it has to do with him playing hurt or what but he is having a rough go at it.  Not sure who your WRs are but if you have a long strider, maybe, maaaaybe Cro can man up but against the quick guys, he cant hold on. 

Talib on the other hand has been VERY good.  If he plays, even if he doesnt play, our WR are pretty bad.  It will be up to Morninweg to scheme up some offense if Geno is to have any success.  I see your team loading up against the run, escpecially with the guys on your team that are hurt down the middle of your D.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

reiss' thought on the d

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/9836567/new-england-patriots-defensive-depth-faces-serious-test

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to TheGuyWithDaThing's comment:

How does nobody recall the WR's getting WIDE OPEN against the Jets down the field only for Brady to either A) Not throw to them or B) overthrow them? That game should have been a blowout last time they played if he completes 2 more passes.

They may not be able to run the ball all that well against a tough Jets run defense, but they still need to do it, particularly early, to set up screens and play action. I'd be happy with a 50/50 split, even if they can just get 3.5+ YPC.

Didn't Rex pull Dee Milliner in the second half in an effort to not ruin his confidence because he was getting burned out there? If they cover the same way they did in the first game, and Brady even has his C game out there, they're going to have a field day. 

agreed. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The big issue for the Jets defense is Kyle Wilson's hammy, Dee Milliner's hammy and not his shoulder, and Cromartie's hyperextended knee.  Rex Ryan left Cromartie on the field for the whole game last week and he got picked on mercilessly by Big Ben Roofies.  Cro couldn't stop anyone from cutting inside.  This says that the Jets couldn't field a serviceable backup cornerback to save their lives.  Maybe the Jets will get lucky and everybody will heal up this week with a cup of tea. 

BB isn't going to care about the Jets' defensive line if five receivers at a time are wide open.  I remember a game years ago where the Minnesota Vikings had a historic defensive line and no backfield, so every last offensive play in the first half was a pass play.  The Vikings went down in a pile of touchdowns.  Bubble screens against an easily blocked cornerback such as Kyle Williams are a good substitute for running plays. 

BB will put up four or even five defensive linemen to stop the Jets from running, to force them to throw.  The problem is, BB's linebackers are better than his defensive tackles right now.  I'd like to see the new DT out there, Armond Armstead, if he's playing.

Geno Smith got scared during the second half of the Steelers game.  He also wasn't any good in the fourth quarter of the first Patriots game.

The Patriots were absolutely lousy at the hurry-up in weeks 1 and 2.  Now they're up to speed.  That makes a difference. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Even dinged up, the Pats D is superior to the Jets offense. Close game, but Pats pull it out.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:

The big issue for the Jets defense is Kyle Wilson's hammy, Dee Milliner's hammy and not his shoulder, and Cromartie's hyperextended knee.  Rex Ryan left Cromartie on the field for the whole game last week and he got picked on mercilessly by Big Ben Roofies.  Cro couldn't stop anyone from cutting inside.  This says that the Jets couldn't field a serviceable backup cornerback to save their lives.  Maybe the Jets will get lucky and everybody will heal up this week with a cup of tea. 

BB isn't going to care about the Jets' defensive line if five receivers at a time are wide open.  I remember a game years ago where the Minnesota Vikings had a historic defensive line and no backfield, so every last offensive play in the first half was a pass play.  The Vikings went down in a pile of touchdowns.  Bubble screens against an easily blocked cornerback such as Kyle Williams are a good substitute for running plays. 

BB will put up four or even five defensive linemen to stop the Jets from running, to force them to throw.  The problem is, BB's linebackers are better than his defensive tackles right now.  I'd like to see the new DT out there, Armond Armstead, if he's playing.

Geno Smith got scared during the second half of the Steelers game.  He also wasn't any good in the fourth quarter of the first Patriots game.

The Patriots were absolutely lousy at the hurry-up in weeks 1 and 2.  Now they're up to speed.  That makes a difference. 

Paul, good stuff. Thanks.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Arrington vs. Kerley matchup

http://www.boston.com/sports/blogs/goingdeep/2013/10/patriots_vs_jets_matchup_break_1.html

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

that the jet D will knock Brady off his spotand get bit time pressure on TB

that having Gronk wont make a big difference, thye can double team him like they did Gonzo (altho Gronk is at least a better blocker) I wonder if we see cromartie on Gronk?

that Pats cannot run on jets

that if it werent for a break down on coverage the Pats wouldnt have score a td last time

because vw, mayo and talib arent there, the jets can run on the pats

that Gino has the ability to be like Wilson from Seattle.

some players and NY POST saying that Brady is over protected and babied by the refs

These guys are calling for an out an out win by the jets and are very cocky

are calling it jets 24 - 19

Pats fan Lost in Jet Land

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

that the jet D will knock Brady off his spotand get bit time pressure on TB

The Jets defensive line has not been good at knocking any quarterback off of the spot. 

that having Gronk wont make a big difference, thye can double team him like they did Gonzo (altho Gronk is at least a better blocker) I wonder if we see cromartie on Gronk?

New Orleans didn't guard the Patriot receivers without Gronk.  Sure, the Jets can double team him, but then who is open?  Having 12 or more defenders on the field isn't a viable option.

that Pats cannot run on jets

For the Jets' basic formation, pretty much true up the middle.  When the Patriots run wide against the Jets, not as true.  The Patriots' O-line is good at pulling and zone-blocking, and the Jets defensive big uglies are limited in their ability to run wide.  Also, Gronk's league-leading blocking changes the equation when going wide.  If/when the Jets adapt to the Patriots' passing attack, they will probably loosen up their defensive front, so the run is always a possibility.  Finally, the Patriots now have their fast-break up and running.  If the Jets' big fat guys can't catch their breath, after a while they won't pass-rush, they won't keep their lanes, they won't do anything.  Just keep going.  Snap, snap, snap, snap, snap, gasp, gasp, gasp.  At some point the Jets might try the "our guy is injured for 2 minutes because we don't want to burn a timeout, so let's wipe him down with the magic sponge and he'll come off the field for one play" trick. 

that if it werent for a break down on coverage the Pats wouldnt have score a td last time

The Saints' blown defense sure made it easy for that one play! 

Don't judge a team by one play.  Judge them on the entire season's work, where the latest games count more.

because vw, mayo and talib arent there, the jets can run on the pats

Mayo in 2013 was horrible against the run.  He was easy to take out of the picture all year, per ProFootballFocus.com

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/10/18/3tfo-patriots-jets-week-7/

that Gino has the ability to be like Wilson from Seattle.

They're all the second coming of Tom Brady on good days, or JaMarcus Russell on bad days. Smith was a second rounder for good reason.  He'll have his good days and his lousy days.  Against Bill Belichick, rookies tend to have horrid days, especially if this is the second time in the same year that the two teams meet.

some players and NY POST saying that (read the team's cue card word for word, please).

At the beginning of September I posted a photo of an actual Jets cue card, leaked by a disgruntled ex-Jets running back, on boston.com.  The Jets script writers say almost the exact same thing about almost any opponent, and the same cue cards come up every year.  It's getting stale. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

P.S.  Cromartie has been as bad in all of 2013 as he was good in 2012, according to that same profootballfocus article.  Last week he was particularly awful and Pittsburgh picked on him mercilessly.  Ryan can put Cromartie on Gronk if he wants.  If they had to put a week-old fish on the field for that whole game last week, then I'm no longer sure whether the Jets have any cornerbacks left in reserve on the bench. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Stop the presses, Daddy Cromartie himself deserves equal time.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Jets-Cromartie-gives-himself-a-C.html

New York Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie is a tough grader.

He characterized his play as a C, though Jets coach Rex Ryan disagrees.

“Well, he’s probably still had a Pro Bowl year,” Ryan said. “I just think that sometimes as much man as we play, we give him the tough down, down after down. Sometimes you’re going to get beat and he’s been beat on a couple of them.”

Sections
Shortcuts