Patriots' Lacking At RB?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradd1. Show Bradd1's posts

Patriots' Lacking At RB?

I know I'm not the only New England fan, who sat there after the April NFL Draft and wondered why the Pats hadn't drafted a single running back. Even if it had meant drafting one in a late round (think Bill wanted to risk another valuable
    early pick,a la...Lawrence Maroney),then so be it. Maybe this is the year
    Maroney is able to play with little injury and up to expectations,but.......
      The RB position normally screams 'Youth'. The nature of that position is that 
    they're going to get hit often and get hit hard. The 'shelf life' in the NFL is
    especially short for RBs("Thank You, Kevin Faulk, for being a wonderful
    exception."). 
     That being said,we can only hope that our slightly older RBs...Fred Taylor and Sammy Morris stay healthy for the season. When they are not on the injury
    list,they are productive. But is that realistic?
     I don't think I'm the only New England Patriots' fan that is a bit worried
    about the present stable of RBs and their ability to stay off that dreaded
    injury list.
     Maybe BB has a plan to pick up one or two(Don't know why Pascall wasn't
    given more of a chance),in an effort to being more balanced on offense.
    Also,the thought of a bruising FB that can 'bull it in' at the goal line and
    also protect the franchise Tom Brady from blitzing defenders is awfully
    appealing. No?  Brad Dawson             

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfaninswflorida. Show Patsfaninswflorida's posts

Re: Patriots' Lacking At RB?

In Response to Patriots' Lacking At RB?:
     I know I'm not the only New England fan, who sat there after the April NFL Draft and wondered why the Pats hadn't drafted a single running back. Even if it had meant drafting one in a late round (think Bill wanted to risk another valuable early pick,a la...Lawrence Maroney),then so be it. Maybe this is the year Maroney is able to play with little injury and up to expectations,but.......   The RB position normally screams 'Youth'. The nature of that position is that  they're going to get hit often and get hit hard. The 'shelf life' in the NFL is especially short for RBs("Thank You, Kevin Faulk, for being a wonderful exception.").   That being said,we can only hope that our slightly older RBs...Fred Taylor and Sammy Morris stay healthy for the season. When they are not on the injury list,they are productive. But is that realistic?  I don't think I'm the only New England Patriots' fan that is a bit worried about the present stable of RBs and their ability to stay off that dreaded injury list.  Maybe BB has a plan to pick up one or two(Don't know why Pascall wasn't given more of a chance),in an effort to being more balanced on offense. Also,the thought of a bruising FB that can 'bull it in' at the goal line and also protect the franchise Tom Brady from blitzing defenders is awfully appealing. No?  Brad Dawson             
    Posted by Bradd1

I am hoping that BB strategy is with bringing in 3 new TE's.... two of them being big strong guys that can block and hopefully help protect Brady and possibly bring some new play's to the scheme that we haven't seen in awhile...

I think having 5 RB's... albeit a few older/injury prone and a few average... and then Laura....  ( Faulk is the one standout in the group) it's possible to make better use of these guys if the strategy was changed up to confuse the defense.

If the TE's can help push the line and give Brady some more time in the pocket.... He'll have multiple targets that he hasn't had for a long time if ever....

Three new TE's .... Two of them huge that can catch and another TE that's fairly quick....  Plus add the wideouts.... Moss on one side and possibly Holt or Tate on the other...

Welker, Edelman in the slot....

... Then I'm hoping BB will get play action/screen passes into the play calling with Maroney and Faulk...  (Maroney seems to do fairly well when he's in space...)

If Brady can get back to spreading the ball around to the "open guy" like he used to then this team could do quite well this year....

The best way to get your run game going is to establish the pass to multiple targets....

Contrary to the old saying "you need to establish the run to get the passing game going".... it's the other way around...

Pass first....  

The key to this years success is to change up the play calling and get Brady comfortable with five or more targets that he can count on and this could be a very good year...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

This year is the year Maroney will break out....or was that last year, or the year before.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

I also agree that the RB situation does not look strong.  I disagree that the Pats have the best RB situation in the AFC East, the Dolphins and Jets were much better rushing team in 2009.  With aging and injury prone players like Taylor and Morris I see no reason for any improvement.  

Picking up Justin Fargas would be a great move and would no doubt improve the Pats rushing attack.  I hope the Pats make a move for Fargas, but I'm sure I'll be disappointed as usual. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

miami's wildcat disappeared because they stopped running it when ronnie broke his foot...they didnt try and fail, they just didnt try

and crusty...you are an idiot if you think buffalo or NE's running unit is better than miami's...its not even close...especially when considering offensive lines

lets put it this way...look at the running stats...buffalo and NE arent even close to NY or miami

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I say, drop the baggage. Go with Maroney, Green-Ellis and Faulk.  Get better next year if these guys cant do it. I think if you give Maroney more carries, he works his issues out and will be fine.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots' Lacking At RB?:
    That's because no one respected NE's run or Buffalo's pass last year.  Each had differing, but one dimensional offenses. NE obviously has potent passing weapons to hide their depth issues in the passing game.  NY's O Line was great so they were able to use the run even with a rookie QB. Miami's O Line was also very good, leading to better a rushing attack which helped Henne as well. I am not disagreeing on 2009. This has no bearing on 2010 and personnel or depth, though. None, zero. Fred Jackson is superb, Lynch is very good and Spiller will be a beast for them as their scatback.  Maybe their O Line improves to help them out, too. You are on acid if you think Brown and Williams are better than Lynch, Jackson and Spiller. The Wildcat is done.  It doesn't fool good Ds anymore.  Great surprise element in spots, but if that is your only hope to run, you are in trouble.
    Posted by russgriswold

i cant possibly see how buffalo's running backs are able to get in space with the lack of talent buffalo has on the offensive line...spiller is a nice pick up but if their QB play doesnt pick up...then alot of his worth will be bypassed by not only the lack of a good offensive line...but the lack of the ability to get spiller in space, down the field

looking at last year and taking this years talent into consideration as well

it has to look like this within the division

NY
    MIA
    NE
    BB

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcjcjcjc. Show jcjcjcjc's posts

another year in the system can only help... I don't see age as an issue with this group of running backs... I am going out on a limb and say that the running game will turn out to be a strenth for 2010!!!

JC 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

No doubt the bills will have a strong running game this year. So strong that they're actively looking to trade Marshawn Lynch. Normally they'd never trade him within the division but since they have no prayer of competing with the Pats for a few years, I'm guessing that khey'd make an exception if we offered the right bait?

Adding Marshawn would give us a young legitimate 1000 yard rusher and turn our running attack legitimate overnight. We'd also and save the use of a high draft pick on a RB next year.

I'd offer a 3rd rounder for him right now. I don't believe that they'd get a better deal than that anywhere in the league.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/377935-nfl-trade-rumors-5-teams-that-could-target-marshawn-lynch#page/5

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

I'd like to see someone like Ron Brace or some other 300 lber in the back field on 3rd and inches or on the goal line like the Fridge was for chicago. I think were going to get that stud running back next year with oaklands pick, Ingram maybe. We need a power running game like we had when we got Cory dillion but I don't see this year being like that. have to make due with what we have apparently.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

FYI,

The Patriots are undefeated when ever Maroney gets at least 20 carries in a game. 

He has a 4.2 career rushing avg so far, he's not amazing but he's doing the job and would benefit from being used in space more but how can you take those touches away from Faulk who's phenomenal in that role.

Their RB by comity will be more than fine. They ranked 10th in the League in Rushing yards/game last year and that's with completely predictable play calling and formations that make it almost obvious when they are going to run. Also they pulled off that ranking with the injuries to Marris and Taylor and a few critical fumbles by Taylor and Maroney.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JerrySpringer. Show JerrySpringer's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots' Lacking At RB?:
    I am only going by group talent.  Spiller to me is an explosive player, the best RB in the draft. If he flops, then I'd be wrong. I don't think he will. I do agree their line is poor, but Fred Jackson but up nice numbers behind that line. Lynch just needs to stay healthy and you could compare him to Ronnie Brown in the health question mark area. Depth wise and talent, Buffalo is the strongest on paper entering 2010. Faneca in NY is a huge loss, as is Thomas Jones. Huge losses. No way NY is #1 agai.n. No way. I wouldn't be surprised if they bounce out of the top 5 this  year. In 2006 and 2007, Faneca's last 2 years in Pitt, they were top 10 and then #3 overall, I believe in 2007.  Also, since 2008, Roethlisberger has taken for more sacks since Faneca left. Since then, the Jets have goen from a top 10 team to #1 overall in 2009. This is not a coincidence. That Faneca loss is big because no one has clue what Ducasse does in that situation replacing him.
    Posted by russgriswold

Russ Im going to ask you a question here because you usually know the most of the Patriots players and situations, what happened to the kid (running back) the Patriots took after the draft, has he been cut already? There was hope that he might be fast, agile and a slick runner.  Sad thing here to me is Sam Morris...if he could stay healty he would be a serious threat for the Patriots, so much potential yet again lost to injuries.

Sections
Shortcuts