Patriots LB Jerod Mayo could miss season with pectoral injury

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

Re: Patriots LB Jerod Mayo could miss season with pectoral injury

"Next man down!" should be the new motto for this team.  

At some point the strength/training staff needs to be looked at because this has gone beyond bad luck on a yearly basis.

If the D goes south, it is what it is.  If Gomer doesn't win a ring, it's the next best thing.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

My Daughter is a 2nd year Nursing Student so I am fairly well qualified here...

If he tore a Pec he's easily done for the season, including post.

As it's been stated, next man up, that's all they can do at this point.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

The only good thing I see in all this is that every other team in the NFL seems to be having horrendous injury problems too, so by the end of the season every team will be starting a rag-tag collection of undrafted rookies and street free agents.  Nobody coaches those kinds of players better than Bill Belichick, so the Pats are bound to win the Super Bowl going away. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4047318. Show user_4047318's posts

You can't assume that the guys stepping in won't be as good or better than the ones they replace.  A lot of these second stringers are chomping at the bit to prove themselves.  They just need  the opportunity.  How many fans thought the end of the world when Bledsoe went down 12 years ago.........then a man named Brady stepped in.   I'm not saying that anything that spectacular will happen but there could be some surprises.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Yeah, the back ups could do well.  But the chances of finding three back-ups who can do just as well as Wilfork, Mayo, and Talib are a bit slim. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

As usual, it's one man down, the next guy up......

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

I Think we'll see Ninkovich move to OLB and Michael Buchanon will see a LOT more time at DE.  I am glad to see more of Spikes (so to speak).  He may be a little slow, but he is a game changer. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EastTraveler. Show EastTraveler's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

More reasons why you don't take five years to rebuild a defense...the foundation falls down before the house goes up.

[/QUOTE]

Nicely said... Cool

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Mayo was great because you didn't have to sub in another LB for pass coverage, but Hightower and Collins are both good LBs. Not as big a loss as it would be to lose Chandler or Talib, but a big loss non the less.

The Pats have been running more 4-2-5 this season anyway, Dont'a and Collins will have to split reps.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

People didn't know how old Mayo is? Did people forget that Mayo played with the last members of the dynasty in 2008?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You and mthurl should meet up for a beer sometime and shake hands. Better yet, give him a big hug. I bet the 2 of you would get along well.

[/QUOTE]

Please let me know where this meeting will take place so I can stop by, and punch them both in the face, and tell them to stop ruining threads with their 3rd grade pissing contests. Enough already!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

We'll see how much of an affect this has...

Obviously there is concern, as there is/was when Wilfork, Kelly, and Talib went down. Fortunately, Kelly and Talib will likely return. Wilfork and Mayo, not so much.

It hurts to lose such a great player, but I think the depth is there to withstand this blow. Fletcher has impressed me every time he has stepped on the field. He isn't the run defender that Mayo is, but I'd argue that he's a touch more instictive, and just as good, if not better, in pass coverage. As a run defender, though, Fletcher will be a dropoff. Spikes' role likely won't change much, but Fletcher, Collins, Hightower, and Beauharnais will see an increased role in the defense. Is each individually the player that Mayo is? No -- but the four of them in combination should fill the void rather well. Each has their own strengths and things they bring to the defense. 

As the saying goes, next man up. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

He was put on IR.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2013/10/patriots_place_jerod_mayo_on_injured_reserve.html

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Tough break but in terms of championship aspirations, the keys are Brady, Gronk, and Talib. If those guys can get on the field (and stay on throught the postseason), we have our shot

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

In response to Spetznaz24's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This team is cursed.   For first time in 6 years we have a great defense,  we lose Wilfork and Mayo.   Wilfork and Mayo have been so durable for so long, and this is the year they go down.  Really is awful, no other way to put it.

The first time in recent memory that we have a good defense,  Brady loses his top 5 receivers from the year before.

This team does not get any breaks. 

[/QUOTE]

Pretty much sums it up.  But hey, we're 5-1.  Who's gonna stop us?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

At least queenie has plenty of excuses now if the D fails in the playoffs. When the defense loses players it is crippling but when the offense does its still because Brady is trying to make it all about himself.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

I'm not usually a OMG the sky is falling kind of guy, but this is about as bad as it gets. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My Daughter is a 2nd year Nursing Student so I am fairly well qualified here...

If he tore a Pec he's easily done for the season, including post.

As it's been stated, next man up, that's all they can do at this point.

[/QUOTE]

LOL!

He did it again.  Unreal.  Nursing student. lmao

[/QUOTE]

I'm wasting my best material with you...you are as thick as a brick......

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

pats just cant catch a break, the defense has been playing outstanding and now their leader goes down, just a few weeks after another one of their leaders went down.....just brutal.

with that being said, if this team can survive this and make the playoffs and play deep into january, this will be one of the best coaching jobs of BB's tenure. hopefully the talib and kelly injuries arent too serious because the importance of those two just got even higher. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichickDisciple. Show BelichickDisciple's posts

Such a shame, Mayo was having a dominant year. He's an easy guy to root for too; tough, hard working, smart and seems like a great teammate. 

I hope that Fletcher (who did well last week) can step in and flourish in that role...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

Well, I guess we're going to see if people are right when they say Mayo isn't all that good and never makes any plays.  I wonder if those people will change their tune and long for Mayo's presence. 

Sections
Shortcuts