Patriots lead NFL in bonus money/guarantees given to rookie free agents in 2013, WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Re: Patriots lead NFL in bonus money/guarantees given to rookie free agents in 2013, WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

I thought they were cheap?

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Re: Patriots lead NFL in bonus money/guarantees given to rookie free agents in 2013, WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

First, we're talking about a team with a 146-46 regular season record over the last 12 years if I counted it up right.  The idea that the Pats are out of line needs to be weighed versus the concept that maybe the 31 stupid teams are all out of line.

I believe that the Patriots have the NFL's most expensive scouting organization.  Many teams throw in with a common scouting organization.  I assume that when the Pats pick up someone, they kind of know what they're getting.  They have an extraordinary record of drafting a few sixth and seventh round gems starting with Tom Brady.  In fact Trader Bill stocks up on seventh round draft choices, seeing good value in these.

If the Patriots' scouting organization is sure that a certain undrafted free agent has a 1/10 chance of becoming a starter, they'll bid up to 1/10 of a starter's guaranteed money for that player.  If nobody else in the NFL wants the guy, any old tiny bid, a ham sandwich, will probably secure the player's services.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

We signed the highest paid UDFA in TJ Moe, we outbid for the premiere Canadian free agent, don't let it be said Krafty doesn't dig deep into his own pocket or that Belichick has trouble attracting free agents.  I love the look of this year's team.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

Kraft is FAR from cheap. He's just not stupid. There isn't a better owner in the league IMO. I agree  that this years team could be special, I can't wait to see them out there.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I'm pretty sure the only meaning that can be derived from the spending big money on UDFA's is that they get the cream of the crop of those players that go undrafted. Not much more to add to this yearly event.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Thoroughly looking forward to our roster being assembled by undrafted free agents!