Patriots need a productive running back to stay among the elite teams in the league

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nastee. Show nastee's posts

Re: Patriots need a productive running back to stay among the elite teams in the league

Readers are plentiful; thinkers are rare.

Martineau

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Re: Patriots need a productive running back to stay among the elite teams in the league

Although they are not typically a great running team this has seemed like a coaching decision most of the time (put the ball of the hands of your best players).  In years past it seemed like if they needed to pound the ball for one or two yards they could do it.  Every time they are in the red zone and they run it for zero yards I can't help but think thier run game is a liability right now. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

You can never have enough top flight guys at any position and I'd say the Patriots are in a good position to draft What they think is a good running back this year. I do follow college ball and yes, C.J. Spiller is top dog in my book. Speed, power and an excellent receiver out of the backfield.He will be gone before we pick though and don't look for Belichik to trade up for a RB. The pats will most likely do what they always do. Draft somebody that nobody expects them to. Also, Don't be surprised if somebody grabs Golden Tate out of ND and makes him into a H-Back type of guy. Tate is Belichiks type of player where he could play WR or line him up in the backfield and he can return kicks as well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots need a productive running back to stay among the elite teams in the league:
    [QUOTE]Readers are plentiful; thinkers are rare. Martineau
    Posted by nastee[/QUOTE]

i just cant believe how incredibly ridiculous you are.  this FLIP guy has said the same thing over and over (admitting he doesnt watch college ball) yet you continue to try and make the point that he is wrong (about what i do not know) you are honestly acting like a 3rd grader who somehow got hold of moms computer and didnt go to bed on time.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots need a productive running back to stay among the elite teams in the league:
    [QUOTE]The Pats won Super Bowls with Antowain Smith(!). And the recieiving corps of those teams couldn't compare with this one. Save for Corey Dillon, the Pats have always been in need of a solid back, but win anyway.  
    Posted by Hog73[/QUOTE] I agree,we were 11-5 with cassel.the year before 18-1 with maroney,and morris.how much more elite do they need to be?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wwsf4ever. Show wwsf4ever's posts

[QUOTE]Why because you can't have an intelligent conversation about how you're wrong.  The Pats don't need a new running back. Just because you are a good productive running team doesn't guarantee you'll be winning games. The only elite team this year with a running game is the Saints.
    Posted by nastee[/QUOTE]
    Nastee you sure picked an appropriate Nom de plume

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from flip781. Show flip781's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots need a productive running back to stay among the elite teams in the league : I agree,we were 11-5 with cassel.the year before 18-1 with maroney,and morris.how much more elite do they need to be?
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE] Thanks for all that knowledge !!!!  How many Super Bowls did they win  ???? Elite teams win the Super Bowl cause they have an effective running game to go along with their passing game !!!  That was supposed to be the goal when they started the season !! The point of the thread
    was to improve their team to the point that they win the Super Bowl !!!! The secret is to have a balanced offensive attack !!! Translated we need an effective running game which we do not have !!!Since Brady quarterbacked us to our first Super bowl we've always been a winning team but thank you so much for your very valuable contribution to the  post !!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from gridlocked. Show gridlocked's posts

Charlie Weis should be available next year. He stinks as a head coach at a program with some academic standards but he was a great O coordinator here.  

I'd like to see him back here and maybe pick up a free agent back thats not a retread next year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots need a productive running back to stay among the elite teams in the league : Thanks for all that knowledge !!!!  How many Super Bowls did they win  ???? Elite teams win the Super Bowl cause they have an effective running game  to go along with their passing game !!!  That was supposed to be the goal when they started the season !! The point of the thread was to improve their team to the point that they win the Super Bowl !!!! The secret is to have a balanced offensive attack !!! Translated we need an effective running game which we do not have !!!Since Brady quarterbacked us to our first Super bowl we've always been a winning team but thank you so much for your very valuable contribution to the  post !!!
    Posted by flip781[/QUOTE]no! the headline of this thread is stateing the pats need an effective running game to be among the elite teams,but they already are an elite team. in our three super bowl wins please name our elite backs other then dillon for the one SB.not to mention BB has stated the best chance for the pats to have success is the ball being in bradys hands.I kind of beleive that also.plus the team,and o-line is built for the pass,not the run.if the team was set up for the running game,I beleive we would have a lot better production from our backs,but also less production from brady and the receiveing corps.which is to exsplosive to just be used spareingly.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Is he really going out on the limb here by saying the Pats need to improve thier run game?  This isn't the same team as the super bowl years different strengths, different weeknesses.  I can't see how a better run game would hurt.

They're not trying to clone the 2003 Pats team, they're trying to put the  best team on the field that they can.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

In Response to Patriots need a productive running back to stay among the elite teams in the league:
    [QUOTE] Every year other teams in the division with their higher draft choices are improving their teams constantly....We have done well also with the additions of talent such as Vollmer, Chung and Darius Butler dispite having lower round picks in the draft.....We are a great passing team, no doubt..... but we need a quality, stud running back we can depend on !!  This year,   surprisingly I haven't heard of any running back that stands out among the College crop in this years draft....Does anybody know of a talent out there in the College ranks that plays for one of the less publisized Colleges like a Chris Johnson from East Carolina or a Ray Rice from Rutgers  ???
    Posted by flip781[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I thought most Pats (i.e. New England) fans were smarter than just grabbing the Maloney malarchy and making it their speak for the past few seasons.  He has a few decent games- that's it.  When he does, they are usually against mediocre teams that many NFL backs could run on.

I totally agree that the Pats have not nailed down a legitimate running game since Dillon left.  Since then, it's been like the Red Sox, after Manny left...patchwork and wishful thinking.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from flip781. Show flip781's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots need a productive running back to stay among the elite teams in the league : no! the headline of this thread is stateing the pats need an effective running game to be among the elite teams,but they already are an elite team. in our three super bowl wins please name our elite backs other then dillon for the one SB.not to mention BB has stated the best chance for the pats to have success is the ball being in bradys hands.I kind of beleive that also.plus the team,and o-line is built for the pass,not the run.if the team was set up for the running game,I beleive we would have a lot better production from our backs,but also less production from brady and the receiveing corps.which is to exsplosive to just be used spareingly.
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE] I never said anything about an Elite Back !!!
    Antoine Smith ..a good back played great in the play-offs dismissing that nonsense of an offensive line built for the pass...The Patriots have the best quarterback in the league, throwing to one of the best receiving tandams in football, so of course they would play to their strength !! If the Patriots had a
    more balanced attack with the addition of a more productive running game, they would be a better team and apposing linebackers and defensive backs would respect the play-action a hell of a lot more  than they do !! This would make Brady and the passing game that much more effective !! This is the point of the post !!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"What part of my Post did you not get.  I listed 4 productive running backs that are going to be coming out this year.  Obviously you don't follow College football because you would know who the studs are this year." 

Only one of those four backs will amount to anything in the NFL. Three of your studs will be duds. Shall we take a gamble with an important pick and have a good chance of adding another dud? 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

[QUOTE]Although they are not typically a great running team this has seemed like a coaching decision most of the time (put the ball of the hands of your best players).  In years past it seemed like if they needed to pound the ball for one or two yards they could do it.  Every time they are in the red zone and they run it for zero yards I can't help but think thier run game is a liability right now. 
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

The offensive play calling has been atrocious this year.  99.9% of the time this year on 1st or 2nd down if Brady is under center he will hand the ball off to Maroney.

If I know it's coming you can bet your last dollar that the opposing defense knows it coming also. 

Homework assignment, let all count the number of times Brady hands off when lined up under center.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]I'd like Gerhart in the end of the second round.  But Best at the end of Rd. 1 would be great.
    Posted by nastee[/QUOTE]
     Gerhart will go in the first half of rnd 1. He's almost like Dillon. Strong as Dillon but faster.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

Can't believe I read all the comments on here before posting. Mindless banter...You know when you are the third person in a conversation between two people who are talking about what they think is the same thing and they start arguing, when actually talking about two entirely different things. You and only you can stop the two and explain what is happening only you do not have an opening. That is what this thread is.

Anyway Flip, to respond to the title of this thread and less about a RB coming out elite or not. How about having a productive running game as opposed to a productive back. Let's hope Bill focuses on OL over RB. Our Line is made up of pass blockers save for Mankins who can do both and the oft injured Stephen Neal. Vollmer looks like he has the potential to be both a pass and run blocker. Koppen is weak as a pass and run blocker, but makes up for it with knowledge of the system, blocking schemes and does understand leverage and angles. Neal like I said is injured too much and is getting up there in age. I believe his run block is a bit better than his pass blocking. Kazcur I have thought for about 4 years now is the weak link on this line. Shows what I know because Bill signed him to a 3 or 4 year deal in the offseason. Either way he seems to be slightly above average RT.

All this is fine and good. The problem is our best OL is a FA after this year. Why not spend the money on OL and not backs.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from flip781. Show flip781's posts

I thought the threads were intended to express your impressions or your opinion  of the Patriots,pro or con... I really don't need a Waterlogged Moron calling it mindless banter !! The entire "banter" I got involved in was my belief that the Patriots need a more balanced attack if they are to improve offensively !! That means they need a more effective running game.....whether its an improvement in their line play or a more productive running back.....the reference is still the same !! I chose running back cause its a singular  need and we've addressed it with band-aid type solutions that have been injury prone....As for Kazcur, my opinion differs from yours as I think he is a human turstyle in pass protection and would be better off working for the M.B.T,A where he is better suited ....He has the slowest feet of any offensive tackle I ever seen ..He may be more aggresive as a run blocker but his contract extension baffled me !! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from YAMATO. Show YAMATO's posts

Sign FA RB LenDale White next year or draft RB Toby Gerhart. I miss the days of Corey Dillon, too. The Patriots definitely need an upgrade at RB. Maroney is definitely gone next year.  Taylor and Morris are injury prone and getting old. How many more seasons can Kevin Faulk play. White is in a similar situation with the Titans that Dillon was with the Bengals. White would give you the same punishing run production.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomerst3. Show boomerst3's posts

The Pats have the running backs.  They just need to have them stay healthy. They can draft a monster running back, but he would have to stay healthy.   Sammy Morris is a monster but has been hurt every year when we need him.  Taylor played great, but not long enough before injury.  Isn't that his history though?
    The Colts are doing well without a running back, but mostly against weak teams, not counting the Pats.  That game should have been a blowout, going up 38-14 if Maroney did not fumble, or Brady did not throw the interception.  Coaching mistake here, but good sign for the future if BB learned his lesson to not go into prevent defense at end of game.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

This is an awesome thread.

I especially like the part where the guy who thought he knew everything called out the guy who actually did know (almost) everything because he left the apostrophe out.

You may recall that it was no less a light than Frank Zappa who reminded us that the crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

Gosh . . . 

I hope I made a grammatical error in this post so somebody can bust my balls.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots need a productive running back to stay among the elite teams in the league :  I never said anything about an Elite Back !!! Antoine Smith ..a good back played great in the play-offs dismissing that nonsense of an offensive line built for the pass...The Patriots have the best quarterback in the league, throwing to one of the best receiving tandams in football, so of course they would play to their strength !! If the Patriots had a more balanced attack with the addition of a more productive running game, they would be a better team and apposing linebackers and defensive backs would respect the play-action a hell of a lot more  than they do !! This would make Brady and the passing game that much more effective !! This is the point of the post !!
    Posted by flip781[/QUOTE] yes smith did well in the playoffs,but so has all the backs we had when they were used.which in most cases,rarely since weiss has been gone.maybe this is why we dont see much focus in that position.not to mention the pats are not set up for a featured back.we dont even have a true lead blocker.instead we bring in a defensive player to lead block.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

[QUOTE] I thought the threads were intended to express your impressions or your opinion  of the Patriots,pro or con... I really don't need a Waterlogged Moron calling it mindless banter !! The entire "banter" I got involved in was my belief that the Patriots need a more balanced attack if they are to improve offensively !! That means they need a more effective running game.....whether its an improvement in their line play or a more productive running back.....the reference is still the same !! I chose running back cause its a singular  need and we've addressed it with band-aid type solutions that have been injury prone....As for Kazcur, my opinion differs from yours as I think he is a human turstyle in pass protection and would be better off working for the M.B.T,A where he is better suited ....He has the slowest feet of any offensive tackle I ever seen ..He may be more aggresive as a run blocker but his contract extension baffled me !! 
    Posted by flip781[/QUOTE]

Wow...You don't register anything that you read do you? First I was actually on your side with your argument against buddy who was nitpicking your posts. I also said Kazcur was the weak link in my mind on this OL. The only difference in our opinion on the Pats running game is that I think we need OL. You think we need RB.

I believe we have serviceable backs right now. I think our OL is setup for pass protection over run blocking. This isn't a bad idea since Brady is Brady. I do believe we could look a little harder for more well rounded OL though. There are a lot of lineman that are very good at both. We just need to find them and find them on the cheap.

Sections
Shortcuts