Patriots need to attack Baltimore's stars

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Patriots need to attack Baltimore's stars

As Champ Bailey showed us, name reputation does not make you invincible.

Lewis is not the same player he once was. 

Ed Reed is not the same Ed Reed as he was 5 years ago. I've read from many that the game against his Broncos was his worst playoff game ever.

If BB and Brady play the two like it's 2004, then the Pats are missing out on two favorable matchups. They'll still make plays from time to time, Ray Lewis did have 17 tackles, but I think the Pats can beat them more often.

When we see Brady struggle, us fans and maybe even the players, begin to worry. Brady is the beat of the team. Despite how well the other players play, I think he's the one that really gives all the players around him confidence.

I know the players would never admit it, but you have to believe the confidence of Ravens players would drop a little bit if they saw their two defensive leaders faltering. Ray Lewis lost weight this offseason to make up for his lack of burst. He's still a liability in coverage and now easier to run on.

BB and Brady probably know this and I expect them to attack the two players that they used to never attack. I was excited about this game for Gronk because I thought he would have an absolutely monster game. Oh well. 

Bold Prediction: Hoo-man will have 1 significant reception similar to the one he had against SF.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Re: Patriots need to attack Baltimore's stars

There are some players that you game plan for... Marshal Faulk or Lawrence Taylor for example.

THen there are sometimes weaknesses or mismatches you try to create and take advantage of. Gronk creates those but he is out. On the Ravens D it is not about targeting their "stars". It is about targeting a weakness/mismatch. If Lewis for example can be a mismatch in coverage then target him. If it is some other LB trying to cover Vereen then target them. If you can get Cannon in as an extra blocker and you have a shot at creating a mismatch that way go to it.

If they have no answer for Hern, then go to him. It is NOT about trying to make a specific player on their team look bad or falter. It is about trying to attack where you can get the most success.

Stop playing macho games like the twittering fool on the Ravens and play football. If a hurry up can catch them off guard or tire them out, great. Then do that.

You know when the Ravens will drop a little bit? When you kick their behind by beating them. ANd you beat them by putting a strength of ours verse a lesser capability of theirs. Vereen's speed, a second TEs blocking, a large target like Hern, etc, ....

In other words, coach and play SMART, not macho. The real macho part is in effort and EXECUTION.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ultpatfan. Show ultpatfan's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:
    [QUOTE]

As Champ Bailey showed us, name reputation does not make you invincible.

Lewis is not the same player he once was. 

Ed Reed is not the same Ed Reed as he was 5 years ago. I've read from many that the game against his Broncos was his worst playoff game ever.

If BB and Brady play the two like it's 2004, then the Pats are missing out on two favorable matchups. They'll still make plays from time to time, Ray Lewis did have 17 tackles, but I think the Pats can beat them more often.

When we see Brady struggle, us fans and maybe even the players, begin to worry. Brady is the beat of the team. Despite how well the other players play, I think he's the one that really gives all the players around him confidence.

I know the players would never admit it, but you have to believe the confidence of Ravens players would drop a little bit if they saw their two defensive leaders faltering. Ray Lewis lost weight this offseason to make up for his lack of burst. He's still a liability in coverage and now easier to run on.

BB and Brady probably know this and I expect them to attack the two players that they used to never attack. I was excited about this game for Gronk because I thought he would have an absolutely monster game. Oh well. 

Bold Prediction: Hoo-man will have 1 significant reception similar to the one he had against SF.

[/QUOTE]

I would throw everything we saw from the Broncos game out the proverbial window - in terns of what to expect from the Purple Crows.  They will come fighting mad, and try hard (and I mean hard) to win against the Pats.  They're not interested in winning impressively, they just want to win (even if it's ugly).  Even if the Patriots win, they will be scarred and beaten up good for the 49ers.  If we win it all this year, it will be the greatest SB win in terms of earning it.   

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

shut down the run game. talib on torrie smith. rush flacco. done

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There are some players that you game plan for... Marshal Faulk or Lawrence Taylor for example.

THen there are sometimes weaknesses or mismatches you try to create and take advantage of. Gronk creates those but he is out. On the Ravens D it is not about targeting their "stars". It is about targeting a weakness/mismatch. If Lewis for example can be a mismatch in coverage then target him. If it is some other LB trying to cover Vereen then target them. If you can get Cannon in as an extra blocker and you have a shot at creating a mismatch that way go to it.

If they have no answer for Hern, then go to him. It is NOT about trying to make a specific player on their team look bad or falter. It is about trying to attack where you can get the most success.

Stop playing macho games like the twittering fool on the Ravens and play football. If a hurry up can catch them off guard or tire them out, great. Then do that.

You know when the Ravens will drop a little bit? When you kick their behind by beating them. ANd you beat them by putting a strength of ours verse a lesser capability of theirs. Vereen's speed, a second TEs blocking, a large target like Hern, etc, ....

In other words, coach and play SMART, not macho. The real macho part is in effort and EXECUTION.

[/QUOTE]

You must have missed the point of what I was saying.

Lewis and Reed are not the same players they were and can be exploited.

THESE are the match ups. Why do you think Vereen played such a large role? We all know the Inside linebackers for HOU were a liability and BB exploited it.

Brandon Lloyd was target 12 times in the early game because Cary Williams is not that good, so BB attacked the weak link of the defense.

In Denver? They're very small up the middle and the Pats exploited it by running it up their throats.

I'm not saying that the Pats should target Lewis or Ed Reed to be macho. I said target them because they are now borderline weak links on that defense.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ultpatfan. Show ultpatfan's posts

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

shut down the run game. talib on torrie smith. rush flacco. done

[/QUOTE]

I like your game plan and confidence, kansaspatriot.  Let's hope you're a prophet!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You must have missed the point of what I was saying.

Lewis and Reed are not the same players they were and can be exploited.

THESE are the match ups. Why do you think Vereen played such a large role? We all know the Inside linebackers for HOU were a liability and BB exploited it.

Brandon Lloyd was target 12 times in the early game because Cary Williams is not that good, so BB attacked the weak link of the defense.

In Denver? They're very small up the middle and the Pats exploited it by running it up their throats.

I'm not saying that the Pats should target Lewis or Ed Reed to be macho. I said target them because they are now borderline weak links on that defense.

[/QUOTE]

OK - got it! I am not sure those guys will be THE matchups to atttack but I agree with you as far as your meaning. And I also agree that IF those are THE matchups to attack and we beat them then again I agree there would be an emotional impact to that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

"The magic number for the Ravens’ defense seems to be 94. Including pre-snap penalties, the Ravens defense has been on the field for 94 snaps in each of their two playoff victories. Will those 188 snaps catch up with them next week as they look to punch their ticket to New Orleans?"

--https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/13/refo-ravens-broncos-afc-division-round/

This could happen against a Patriots offense famous for keeping the opponent's first-string defense on the field all day.  As an example, the rather vaunted Houston defense was on the field for 65 plays on Sunday.  The Patriots offense set an NFL record for first downs this season, another hint that every opponent's D goes bouncing backwards down the field all day.