Patriots needs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

Patriots needs

The way I see the free agency going this year is that CB's are getting overpaid.  This will leave the Patriots without Talib.  I would not sign Talib to big money becouse of his injury risk.  It is time to quit signing injured players.  Talib, Amendola, Ras-i, Gronk, etc.  were all injury risks and did not pay off well.  I would like to see the following things happen:

1.) Sign a reliable TE, SS, and DT.  This will help both the offense and the defense. 

2.) Trade Mallet for a 2nd round draft pick.  He is worth it and will help a team out.

3.) Get healthy.  This is the key to many of the problems last year.  A few less injuries would have put a different team out there.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

Re: Patriots needs

I totally agree the CB market is way overpriced and over rated. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to msteven's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The way I see the free agency going this year is that CB's are getting overpaid.  This will leave the Patriots without Talib.  I would not sign Talib to big money becouse of his injury risk.  It is time to quit signing injured players.  Talib, Amendola, Ras-i, Gronk, etc.  were all injury risks and did not pay off well.  I would like to see the following things happen:

1.) Sign a reliable TE, SS, and DT.  This will help both the offense and the defense. 

2.) Trade Mallet for a 2nd round draft pick.  He is worth it and will help a team out.

3.) Get healthy.  This is the key to many of the problems last year.  A few less injuries would have put a different team out there.

[/QUOTE]

The DT should be top of that list. I think a good pass rush helps a weak back end.  every team wants health, but the chips fall how they fall. I think talib s gone. Someone will pay him for his 11 games this year and it won't be us. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

If I were an NFL team and I wanted Mallet, I would let him stay in NE one more year, then sign him next year as a Free Agent. In the meantime Draft a QB in this years Draft in later rounds and start grooming him.

Picks 4-7 is more realistic to me. If we got a 4th I'd package it and get McCarron, this the year we need to look ahead.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

Draft a safety or a corner real early on It depends which one you sign in FA (which is a need) then do the same with a DT and yes draft a QB to groom because we prob are stuck with mallet. A little WR help wouldn't hurt either. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Pats are drafting at 29 and I don't believe they have many (if any?) extra picks from prior deals, so they are going to be a bit limited in what they can do.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Needs: A true strong safety. A healthy Gronk and another TE who can block (really block). A healthy Wilfork or a suitable replacement. A healthy Mayo. A healthy Kelly or a suitable replacement. Sign (and have a healthy) Talib or a suitable replacement. Sign Edelmann and Blount if the numbers work. Have Dobson and Boyce step it up in year 2, and with Harmon and Ryan. Since they are picking 29th and not top 5, draft NFL quality depth at Safety, LB, TE, OL and DL.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pats are drafting at 29 and I don't believe they have many (if any?) extra picks from prior deals, so they are going to be a bit limited in what they can do.  

[/QUOTE]

I don't see them as limited in the least. They will have as many picks as anyone else and at their positions of need there will be good players available. Heck they can even use future picks to move up considering the talent availble at those positions.

DL - Doesn't go much past mid-late 2nd. There is maybe a handful of players that have potential of making an impact. Fergursen, D. Jones, Hageman, Donald, Nix, Tuitt and that might be about it. This is one they need to grab early or move back into with furture picks for.

TE - There is 5 top end TE's in this draft which should mean they will last to the back of the 2nd including the one guy I could easily see the Pats targetting CJ.

S - it's a fairly weak draft for Ss. Outside of Pryor I don't see anyone that won't need to take time to develop. But in the mid rounds there are a couple of names out their with high upside worth taking a chance on. Exum in the late 3rd to late 4th might turn into the steal of the draft

CB - like S not a ton of upfront talent but some good names out there with higher upside in the middle rounds.

Interior OL - the middle of the draft is full of high upside guys esp in the RG/C positions. No clear day 1 starters but certainly guys that after a year or two can step right up and earn starting spots.

WR - is extremely deep. There are guys I would put as high or higher than Dobson in the mid rounds. The Pats clearly decided to double dip at the position in the wrong year. When guys like Hoffman, Coleman, Latimer, Reese, Hazel all projected to go late day 2 - mid day 3 it's a extremely deep WR class.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

As I've indicated in other threads, I see the needs as follows:

SS - either draft or free agency, the position needs to be filled

DT - Both VW and Kelly aren't getting any younger and we need some size and depth here

OG/C - Left side is covered and RT is covered.  Both C and RG positions could need an upgrade

TE - Need some qualiy depth behind Gronk.  Hooman is a good #3 but that's as high as I'd place him on the roster

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to HeygangLH's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Needs!? Add in a fan base that doesn't hold on the the past like the current pats fans have been forced to do for 12 years now.

Out with the old guy and bring in a guy that can run the ball as well as he throws it.

[/QUOTE]

You need Fireman Ed to come back... but he won't, it's too embarrassing.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Leon tried instigating in the Sox forum...wasn't getting any attention there either. Maybe he can try the Celtics or Bruins forum?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

In response to msteven's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I believe the Pats need two TEs.  Pick one up in FA and one in the draft.  If the Pats can scoop up Verner that would be a coup but leave the cupboard bare for other FAs.  I agree with the SS but if the Pats do pick up Verner I don't know where that would leave them as far as cash goes.  It's not so much DTs as it is DEs.  Jones and Nick hardly came of the field.

I don't know how anybody can think that Mallett is worth this.  He hasn't played in a game yet.  You have the hype of the draft.  Mallett takes a big back seat here.

It's been the problem two years running.  This past year was ridiculous.  We may be in for more of the same as players are not in football shape because of the new rules on practicing. 

Sections
Shortcuts