Patriots Offense easy to Game Plan for defenses

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Re: Patriots Offense easy to Game Plan for defenses

In Response to Re: Patriots Offense easy to Game Plan for defenses:
    Absurd- if they are so easy to game plan for they wouldn't score so many points and win so many games. Every week a coach is saying how difficult the Patriots are to prepare for.
    Posted by shenanigan

Yup, you don't score the 2nd most points in the league with 'easy to game plan for' offense. And this years offense will likely be different in many ways. They have signed another true tight end (can we admit that Hernandez is not really a tight end?), two true fullbacks, and three WRs. They have two young RBs who will have a full off season and training camp to get with the program. Remember last year was the lockout, Ridley and Vereen did not have the off season training, and BB has never been one to give a lot of trust to rookie RBs. I think only BB and his staff know what they have and what the plan is for the upcoming season at this point. Got to believe McDaniels is a better coordinator than OB was, and will find a way to maximize all of the players.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

easy to game plan and executing that game plan are 2 different things. Yes, they were easy to game plan for. I mean everyone on this board knew what they were going to do so I doubt DC's on other teams had no clue how to. The big difference is the talent they had to work with. Against regular season opponents the Pats looked dominant in every way, with the exception of playoff caliber D's. When they came against a playoff caliber team (Pit, NYG, Ravens) suddenly their O slowed down and became average. That's the huge difference we are talking about here. It's the Pats they plan for the playoffs not for the regular season and this O is easy to plan for and can be executed by playoff caliber D's.

Now, to today they have addressed that easiness, as far as personal is concerned. The Fells addition is great but he's depth in case of injury really so it doesn't change the game time philosophy.

The two FB acquisitions are huge. It might seem minor but these signings could pave the way for a more aggressive running game. Ridley showed some nice ability and we still don't know what Vereen will become but with a year improved and the addition of lead blockers teams may actually have to account for a running game, provided O game calling shifts away from throwing the ball +63%

The addition of Lloyd and Stallworth also have big ramifications as both are know for working the sidelines as well as downfield. This stretches the field both vertical and horizontally opening up the underneath. Clogging the middle of the field is no longer an option as Llolyd has proven to consistently bet 1v1 coverage on the outside, typically for large gains.

Just these 2 wrinkles will greatly aid in making the O less predictable and harder to game plan around for opposing D's. But, the biggest change for the O might come from an acquisition on ST's. Lets face it the Pats average starting position stunk last year. If they get a good return man in the draft and can push that starting position beyond the 20 yrd line on a consistent basis that it frees the O up to work in more exotic plays and makes them less predictable

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to "Re: Patriots Offense easy to Game Plan for defenses":
    In Response to Re: Patriots Offense easy to Game Plan for defenses : That is regular season. But when teams (especially in the playoffs) take away the middle of the field, their weakness on the outside shows. In the games that they have lost in the regular season, this offense is less effective and this offense barely can score 20 points when defenses play that style of playing man coverage on the outside and taking away the middle of the football field. Posted by millergrnv
    They failed to score more than 20 in one playoff game. So, are you reasoning that every team is easy to gameplan for except the team that wins the SB?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

easy to game plan and executing that game plan are 2 different things. Yes, they were easy to game plan for. I mean everyone on this board knew what they were going to do so I doubt DC's on other teams had no clue how to. The big difference is the talent they had to work with. Against regular season opponents the Pats looked dominant in every way, with the exception of playoff caliber D's. When they came against a playoff caliber team (Pit, NYG, Ravens) suddenly their O slowed down and became average. That's the huge difference we are talking about here. It's the Pats they plan for the playoffs not for the regular season and this O is easy to plan for and can be executed by playoff caliber D's. Now, to today they have addressed that easiness, as far as personal is concerned. The Fells addition is great but he's depth in case of injury really so it doesn't change the game time philosophy. The two FB acquisitions are huge. It might seem minor but these signings could pave the way for a more aggressive running game. Ridley showed some nice ability and we still don't know what Vereen will become but with a year improved and the addition of lead blockers teams may actually have to account for a running game, provided O game calling shifts away from throwing the ball +63% The addition of Lloyd and Stallworth also have big ramifications as both are know for working the sidelines as well as downfield. This stretches the field both vertical and horizontally opening up the underneath. Clogging the middle of the field is no longer an option as Llolyd has proven to consistently bet 1v1 coverage on the outside, typically for large gains. Just these 2 wrinkles will greatly aid in making the O less predictable and harder to game plan around for opposing D's. But, the biggest change for the O might come from an acquisition on ST's. Lets face it the Pats average starting position stunk last year. If they get a good return man in the draft and can push that starting position beyond the 20 yrd line on a consistent basis that it frees the O up to work in more exotic plays and makes them less predictable
    Posted by PatsEng

I agree with most of what you stated above. But, the FB acquisitions mean nothing, if the Pats don't add a feature RB. Ridley does not appear to be that guy. Look for the Pats to trade for a top veteran RB, or to address the position in the draft.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I'm in the camp that views the Pats O as perhaps easy to game plan for (although many opposing coaches don't think so) but not very easy to stop.  If they were, then they wouldn't have accumulated the points that they did.  Yep, in 2 of the 3 post-season games they had difficulty.  I happen to believe that they've taken steps to address that issue. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

Is it the Pats offense that's predictable or was it OB?

How is it BJGE has 1,000+yds two years ago and hardly get's a touch last year. How is it Ridley and Vareen, two huge picks in the draft end up contributing next to nothing and....................how is Kevin Faulk left on the sidelines to waste his final year away after fighting for a year to get ready to play?

Ok, I know, turf toe, fumble-itus, injury and age right? I say bull! OB never even gave the ground game a chance. I've never seen them more one dimensional and prissy and despite that they still ended up mid pack.

I think it's easy, bulk up the ground attack. Use the FB position more to take hits to the D instead of letting the line do everything and settle for 3yds.
    Next, let Josh be more creative with play calling, keep the balance of pass/run but be more un-predictable when you call them and finally.........get rid of Ocho and Branch and get some speed/brains on the outside.

I don't know about you guys but there were times last year I wished the Pats had a tougher approach on both sides of the ball. I really hope they bring that back this year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

Almost every WR they have ever drafted has been a complete bust and few rookies are going to come in learn an offense and be a productive starter right away. Lloyd was the best shot they had since he knows the offense. They packed up the screen play somewhere in Bill Belichick's basement and they can't find it apparently. I can't remember them using a screen to keep the D on their toes in years. If they don't keep Faulk they should sign him as a coach. He was the best screen pass threat they had maybe he could show the new pups an old dogs tricks. And as you said they need to run the ball more often which means less shotgun formations otherwise the D will know when it's a pass and when it isn't. Whenever they go to shotgun the D throws everyone and the kitchen sink at Brady. I think he has more time when he's not in the shotgun because the other team is at least guessing.   In Response to Patriots Offense easy to Game Plan for defenses :
    Posted by stillgridlocked

Agreed about the rookie wr. Faulk should be RB's coach.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots Offense easy to Game Plan for defenses :      I agree with most of what you stated above. But, the FB acquisitions mean nothing, if the Pats don't add a feature RB. Ridley does not appear to be that guy. Look for the Pats to trade for a top veteran RB, or to address the position in the draft.
    Posted by TexasPat3

I just can't imagine the Pats trading for another RB.

I think Vareen and Ridley will be around for awhile.

Hopefully one of these guys will step up into the starting job,
    what an opportunity for both of them.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

To me its simple, the Pats have gotten away from TB under center. Shotgun, or spread offense has hurt this team in the long run. The play action under center made us better. TB was great at this, and I dont know why but we have gotten away from this. As as soon as I see the spread, I would forget the run, and get ready for a pass, and that makes it predictable. Jam the recievers, and go all out on TB. Of course you need a Good Running Back for the play action to work.
    Posted by bobbysu

+1

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

Is it the Pats offense that's predictable or was it OB? How is it BJGE has 1,000+yds two years ago and hardly get's a touch last year. How is it Ridley and Vareen, two huge picks in the draft end up contributing next to nothing and....................how is Kevin Faulk left on the sidelines to waste his final year away after fighting for a year to get ready to play? Ok, I know, turf toe, fumble-itus, injury and age right? I say bull! OB never even gave the ground game a chance. I've never seen them more one dimensional and prissy and despite that they still ended up mid pack. I think it's easy, bulk up the ground attack. Use the FB position more to take hits to the D instead of letting the line do everything and settle for 3yds. Next, let Josh be more creative with play calling, keep the balance of pass/run but be more un-predictable when you call them and finally.........get rid of Ocho and Branch and get some speed/brains on the outside. I don't know about you guys but there were times last year I wished the Pats had a tougher approach on both sides of the ball. I really hope they bring that back this year.
    Posted by Sam-Adams

Need to get the toughness back. I like the way Ridley finishes his runs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In Response to Patriots Offense easy to Game Plan for defenses:
    I know I am going to get a lot of grief for this but the Patriots Offense is easy to game plan for defenses. ....I know I am going to get a lot of grief (as mentioned earlier) and get blasted as well, so say what you have to say after reading this post.
    Posted by millergrnv

Easy game planning and execution are two totally different beasts!  Just because you "know" they'll pass a lot, does it mean you'll stop them cold?  Look at NO, same offense with lots of passing and they still scored a lot, too.  It takes more than knowing what the opponent will do as they are not robots and march lock step on every play the same way every time.  The O reacts to your D and vice versa.  Whichever team does it the best, generally wins and it seems the Pats do!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

To me its simple, the Pats have gotten away from TB under center. Shotgun, or spread offense has hurt this team in the long run.

RESPONSE: Where's your proof to back up this silly statement. The Pats literally came within minutes of winning three more SBs in 2006, 2007 and 2011...and have been one of the leagues best teams in those years in between.

The play action under center made us better.

RESPONSE:  Nonsense. The Pats had different personnel in those days, and did not play under the Polian passing rules until 2004. A much better defense made the Pats  better in those years...not Brady playing under center.

TB was great at this, and I dont know why but we have gotten away from this. As as soon as I see the spread, I would forget the run, and get ready for a pass, and that makes it predictable. Jam the recievers, and go all out on TB. Of course you need a Good Running Back for the play action to work.

RESPONSE: Sorry...but I'm getting tired of seeing silly posts like this. If either of those last two SB losses went the other way, would we even be having this discussion? The NFL is a passing league. The days of three yards and a cloud of dust are long gone.   
    Posted by bobbysu

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from millergrnv. Show millergrnv's posts

In Response to Patriots Offense easy to Game Plan for defenses : Easy game planning and execution are two totally different beasts!  Just because you "know" they'll pass a lot, does it mean you'll stop them cold?  Look at NO, same offense with lots of passing and they still scored a lot, too.  It takes more than knowing what the opponent will do as they are not robots and march lock step on every play the same way every time.  The O reacts to your D and vice versa.  Whichever team does it the best, generally wins and it seems the Pats do!
    Posted by agcsbill

The thing with the Saints offense is they have threats on the outside and the Patriots offense does not.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Yeah so freaking easy.  The easy to defend O should of won the Super Bowl if Welker didn't crap his pants and actually held onto the ball with his hobbit hands.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots Offense easy to Game Plan for defenses : The thing with the Saints offense is they have threats on the outside and the Patriots offense does not.
    Posted by millergrnv

+1

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

The plans for my teleporter were really easy to do. I just can't get it to work. Regardless, I invented the worlds first teleporter...it just doesn't work.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

This is old news. Most of the board blow ups this year were between the majority here who are delusional and won't admit this and a small minority who are honest and have seen this since 2009.

Sections
Shortcuts