Patriots-Panthers Matchup

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Patriots-Panthers Matchup

Away game. Panthers defense to keep the game close enough to hand Patriots a 3rd loss for the season?

Vereen the key to giving offense enough flexibility; especially on 3rd downs, to beat a solid d?

Thoughts, people?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Re: Patriots-Panthers Matchup

my thoughts are on the one i posted! its all about O-line this week!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

my thoughts are on the one i posted! its all about O-line this week!

I agree. If they can keep Brady upright i would expect this game to be played somewhere in the high 20's low 30's. It will be the most physical challenge the O-line has had to date. I think as a unit the Panthers front 7 is better than the Jet's front 7.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Tough game....comes down to field goal....I think Vegas has this one right with Carolina getting 1.5...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Based on what the O did against the Steelers, and with more returning and healthier starters, the Panthers have yet to face an offense that is firing on all cylinders.  On the D side, Talib is back, I hope. It will be a battle, no doubt.  Even though the Panther D puts pressure on the QB, Brady is not a hold onto the ball QB, it will be out quick. Carolina will be sky high to prove they are legit.  The Pats, on the other hand, it is "the next game" on the schedule. To some Pats fans it may be viewed as being unemotional while the Panther players will be jumping all over the place on every play.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

Based on what the O did against the Steelers, and with more returning and healthier starters, the Panthers have yet to face an offense that is firing on all cylinders.  On the D side, Talib is back, I hope. It will be a battle, no doubt.  Even though the Panther D puts pressure on the QB, Brady is not a hold onto the ball QB, it will be out quick. Carolina will be sky high to prove they are legit.  The Pats, on the other hand, it is "the next game" on the schedule. To some Pats fans it may be viewed as being unemotional while the Panther players will be jumping all over the place on every play.

granted, the Pats put up some points - but it was just one game. If the Panthers keep the game close, they've got a decent shot at winning the game.  Getting Talib back will be helpful for the defense, but I'd rather see him healthy at the end of the regular season.  Vereen may be the difference maker, if Brady and the rest of the offense struggles against the Panthers D.

Will be a fun game to watch.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

anonymis...  Panthers are at home and given the way they are playing, and being very confident right now, a win on their part should not be a surprise.  I do not think a Pats fan here should feel a win by the Patriots is a given.  The question in my mind: Is the Pats offense really starting to jell and will the Carolina defense not have an answer when facing a "real" elite QB this season?

This game is another step on the way to the SB, another challenge for this young and upcoming team to prove they are for real.  Carolina, doing the same thing, prove they are for real and the win in SF is one BIG step.  If history is to be used, it always seems the Pats have found a way to play big in a game many feel may be too big a challenge on the road.  BB just has that way.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

preview

http://www.patsfans.com/blogs/russ/2013/11/12/patriots-fourth-and-two-podcast-patriots-vs-panthers/#.UoNl9Ro3s7w

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Punching. That’s how the Panthers have launched their defense’s budding reputation, limiting opponents to 15 points or fewer during each week of their five-game winning streak.

The Panthers attack primarily with their front four, and they use that relentless pass rush to make offenses uncomfortable. The Patriots cannot lose that physical battle up front and expect to maintain any offensive rhythm.

- See more at: http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2013/11/patriots_must_confront_panthers#sthash.b45mAAbD.dpuf

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

The key to this game will be whether or not our coaching staff will stay committed to a run game when the best defensive line in football limits it at first. If we fall back on the passing game the panthers will rush 4 and drop 7 flood the field with defenders and will hit Tom Brady whether he gets the ball out or not. I would love to see 15 touches a piece for Ridley and Vareen. Frustrate Carolinas d by checking down to RBs out of the back field to keep moving the chains, and when they adjust hit Danny or Dobby on some seam routes down field for big plays. 

Defense has to contain Cam Newton 1st 2nd and 3rd priority. This guy is really really good. This team has an image of a running team when they really are not. Yes cam will run but he throws some very aaccurate balls. They will run when the defense dictates it, but if we over commit to the run game this guy will kill us down field.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

There is already a thread going on this.  The other thread is better, why are people posting in here?

We won't be able to run on Carolina.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

The key to this game will be whether or not our coaching staff will stay committed to a run game when the best defensive line in football limits it at first. If we fall back on the passing game the panthers will rush 4 and drop 7 flood the field with defenders and will hit Tom Brady whether he gets the ball out or not. I would love to see 15 touches a piece for Ridley and Vareen. Frustrate Carolinas d by checking down to RBs out of the back field to keep moving the chains, and when they adjust hit Danny or Dobby on some seam routes down field for big plays. 

Defense has to contain Cam Newton 1st 2nd and 3rd priority. This guy is really really good. This team has an image of a running team when they really are not. Yes cam will run but he throws some very aaccurate balls. They will run when the defense dictates it, but if we over commit to the run game this guy will kill us down field.

IMHO...  Carolina will be focused on getting to TB, limiting the time TB has to throw the ball, and slowing down, if not stopping, the passing game.  If they focus too much on this, therefore allowing the running game to flourish, they'll be forced to stack the box which opens up the field for play action, screens etc...  The Pats do have the rushing attack to keep the Panthers honest.  It shall be interesting the game plan BB and McD cooks up.

As for the D, the 49'ers do not present a significant challenge as a Manning led offense will.  But, those missing interior players may be an issue to keep the read option plays from working.  Can they keep Kap bottled up in the pocket and aviod letting him escape to the outside.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

"Jeff Howe of the Boston Herald pointed out a mention by Bill Belichick this morning, who noted Panthers are among the NFL leaders in 3d-down runs. They’re second with 4.7 per game, while quarterback Cam Newton’s 24 3rd-down runs are 2nd most in NFL.  Overall defensively this season teams have run on New England 27 times for 66 yards (2.4 avg) while picking up 14 first downs along with a touchdown.  Here’s a breakdown of teams’ overall success against New England’s defense on 3rd down running the football:

Left End: 4 carries, 27 yds (6.8 avg)
    Left Tackle: 4 carries, 7yds (1.8 avg)
    Left Guard: 2 carries, 2yds (3.5 avg)
    Middle: 13 carries, 11yds (0.8 avg) 1 TD
    Right Guard: 2 carries, 7yds (3.5 avg)
    Right Tackle: 1 carry, 3yds (3.0 avg)
    Right End: 1 carry, 4yds (4.0 avg)

Interestingly enough, with the team set to face Cam Newton Monday night, three quarterbacks have the three highest rushing totals against their defense on 3rd down this season.  Geno Smith (2 carries 13yds, 1 first down), Ryan Tannehill (1 carry, 12yds, 1 first down), and Andy Dalton (2 carries, 10yds, 1 first down) are the three that fall into that category."

http://www.patsfans.com/ian/blog/2013/11/15/morning-huddle-1115/#.Uods9MQ3s7w

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Potential Super Bowl preview.  I have the Panthers as #1 in my rankings.  The Patriots are rapidly improving with their new lineup.

The Panther line brings it.  The Patriot line is pretty good at keeping Brady protected, except at center where they are pretty weak.  More important, Brady unloads the ball faster than anybody else in the NFL.

The Panther front seven is an excellent run-stopping group.  One possible hole: Gronk is an excellent run blocker.  However, the Panthers are used to run-blocking tight ends.  Their tight end blocks but doesn't ever get open.  I suspect the Patriots will throw a bit more this game.  If the Panthers retool to cover the pass, the Pats will be happy to run a zone-blocking scheme.

Panthers love to bump and run.  That won't work against Dobson, he releases well.  Amendola can be bumped only by a small, quick, aggressive cornerback, and I don't know if Carolina carries such a guy.  Bump Gronk and he bumps you back out of the play, unless you put a truly heavy defensive end on him at the line.  Carolina has no one with long enough arms to keep Gronk from body-blocking them out of the play.  Luke Kuechly has excellent speed and explosion to keep up with most tight ends but his arms are notably too shrimpy to cover Gronk's body blocking.  This part isn't stacking up well against Carolina at all.  Then there's Shane Vereen, starting third and long running back, coming onto the field again.  I get the feeling that nobody but long-time Patriots fans knows what's about to hit the field.

Carolina's big hole is Brady and company running the hurry-up to perfection.  Pittsburgh was a pretty good defense but when they had three guys guarding one receiver and one poor defensive guy trying to guard two Patriot receivers, they didn't look good at all.  They get an extra day to practice, but they gave their all at San Francisco and took the redeye home, so it's possible that they're going in to the Patriots game just a little bit unfamiliar.  That's an issue when playing the Pats. 

Carolina runs their read option with a big heavy quarterback. The line blocks well, and they have a blocking tight end who acts as a sixth lineman.

Four weeks ago, it's rumored that teams were somewhat able to collapse the center of the Patriots's defensive line.  First off, that was as much rumor as fact.  In fact the replacement DTs were doing moderately well and yardage per play was rather low.  Second, Soap is in that hole now.  Third, the whole Patriots front eight is heavy, and BB beefs up the line as needed, playing a 5-2 on obvious running plays.

Cam Newton is rather mediocre in the pocket throwing without pressure.  He's pretty good when in trouble.  The Pats are probably going to drop seven on passing downs, keep containment and hope for coverage sacks. 

Everybody has a #1, but otherwise Panther receivers as a group are rather unremarkable.  The Patriots missed their #1 CB Talib two weeks ago but he's on the field now.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:

Potential Super Bowl preview.  I have the Panthers as #1 in my rankings.  The Patriots are rapidly improving with their new lineup.

The Panther line brings it.  The Patriot line is pretty good at keeping Brady protected, except at center where they are pretty weak.  More important, Brady unloads the ball faster than anybody else in the NFL.

The Panther front seven is an excellent run-stopping group.  One possible hole: Gronk is an excellent run blocker.  However, the Panthers are used to run-blocking tight ends.  Their tight end blocks but doesn't ever get open.  I suspect the Patriots will throw a bit more this game.  If the Panthers retool to cover the pass, the Pats will be happy to run a zone-blocking scheme.

Panthers love to bump and run.  That won't work against Dobson, he releases well.  Amendola can be bumped only by a small, quick, aggressive cornerback, and I don't know if Carolina carries such a guy.  Bump Gronk and he bumps you back out of the play, unless you put a truly heavy defensive end on him at the line.  Carolina has no one with long enough arms to keep Gronk from body-blocking them out of the play.  Luke Kuechly has excellent speed and explosion to keep up with most tight ends but his arms are notably too shrimpy to cover Gronk's body blocking.  This part isn't stacking up well against Carolina at all.  Then there's Shane Vereen, starting third and long running back, coming onto the field again.  I get the feeling that nobody but long-time Patriots fans knows what's about to hit the field.

Carolina's big hole is Brady and company running the hurry-up to perfection.  Pittsburgh was a pretty good defense but when they had three guys guarding one receiver and one poor defensive guy trying to guard two Patriot receivers, they didn't look good at all.  They get an extra day to practice, but they gave their all at San Francisco and took the redeye home, so it's possible that they're going in to the Patriots game just a little bit unfamiliar.  That's an issue when playing the Pats. 

Carolina runs their read option with a big heavy quarterback. The line blocks well, and they have a blocking tight end who acts as a sixth lineman.

Four weeks ago, it's rumored that teams were somewhat able to collapse the center of the Patriots's defensive line.  First off, that was as much rumor as fact.  In fact the replacement DTs were doing moderately well and yardage per play was rather low.  Second, Soap is in that hole now.  Third, the whole Patriots front eight is heavy, and BB beefs up the line as needed, playing a 5-2 on obvious running plays.

Cam Newton is rather mediocre in the pocket throwing without pressure.  He's pretty good when in trouble.  The Pats are probably going to drop seven on passing downs, keep containment and hope for coverage sacks. 

Everybody has a #1, but otherwise Panther receivers as a group are rather unremarkable.  The Patriots missed their #1 CB Talib two weeks ago but he's on the field now.

Thanks, Paul.  Always enjoy reading your take.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Carolina is a tough matchup, their secondary is weak , but their front 7 are very good! I would expect a lot of quick hitters to the slot receivers, 7-10 range and Brady should have an excellent game. Running on the other hand will have a tough time,but wheel routes and screens will be effective. On the defensive side of the ball Talib probably draws Smith, with either Arrington or Ryan drawing LaFell. Their speed receiver is Ted Ginn Jr. and he is dangerous, but unpredictable! Olsen is a quality TE so Fletcher or Hightower will have their hands full, key is keeping containment on Newton. Running game is wishy washy at best, so Carolina doesn't present as big a problem as say Kansas City or even the NYJ. My guess is a Patriots victory and I have two scores in mind if everything goes well 31-17 Pats, if it is only a so so game 21-17,either way the Pats should win.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

Carolina is a tough matchup, their secondary is weak , but their front 7 are very good! I would expect a lot of quick hitters to the slot receivers, 7-10 range and Brady should have an excellent game. Running on the other hand will have a tough time,but wheel routes and screens will be effective. On the defensive side of the ball Talib probably draws Smith, with either Arrington or Ryan drawing LaFell. Their speed receiver is Ted Ginn Jr. and he is dangerous, but unpredictable! Olsen is a quality TE so Fletcher or Hightower will have their hands full, key is keeping containment on Newton. Running game is wishy washy at best, so Carolina doesn't present as big a problem as say Kansas City or even the NYJ. My guess is a Patriots victory and I have two scores in mind if everything goes well 31-17 Pats, if it is only a so so game 21-17,either way the Pats should win.

I hope so.  This game is prolly a bigger game for the Panters vs. Patriots - altho it's a game the Patriots shouldn't let slip away.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/11/17/4475168/carolina-panthers-relevance-gets.html#.Uon9IsQ3s7w

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonIrishGuy. Show BostonIrishGuy's posts

Pats gonna BLOW OUT the Panthers.  Brady should have an easy time now that THE GRONK is back and fully healed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Contain Newton, collapse the pocket, bottle up the run game: D. On offense use the run effectively to negate the pass rush and set up play action, maybe throw in a screen with Vereen or Blount. I will be curious to see who gets the unenviable task of defending Gronk (Kuechly?) Good situational football and not letting Newton complete the deep ball. Force a couple of TOs for the D and (for the O) no ints or fumbles....good ball security.

Watching this one alone at the bar with GF at home. Could be the same next week.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Also curious to see how much man vs. zone the offense sees.

Sections
Shortcuts