Patriots Release Leigh Bodden

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: Patriots Release Leigh Bodden

In Response to Re: Patriots Release Leigh Bodden:
    In Response to Re: Patriots Release Leigh Bodden : lol! Classic anti-BB King comment. How is TBC not worse?  It's a good comparison between each, but Bodden is at least talented and will have a job next week.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

He is anti BB King? Gee, I hope he's not anti Howlin' Wolf too.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Okay, chaulk me up as surprised as everyone else for the most part.

IF this is to make room for Brace or Deaderick, I don't get it. How many DL's do we carry? Look at our CB depth chart right now...its downriight troubling. Add this to our secondary woes, and we won't be able to stop any good passing team unless we get pressure from teh front 7 more frequently.

I'm getting tired of the CB merry go round here, plus drafting players that are injury prone. Why for the life of me can't we draft 1 decent corner other than DMC in the past 5 years with so many picks dedicated to the position?....

Agree on Samuel. He like Bodden has to clear waivers. The Pats are way down on the waiver totem pole. Even if Sameul wasn't claimed, do we still think BB would pick him up and pay him on his current, remaining contract?...

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3993225. Show user_3993225's posts

Why for the life of me can't we draft 1 decent corner other than DMC in the past 5 years with so many picks dedicated to the position?
    Posted by PatsLifer

Perhaps because CB is one of if not the most difficult position to play in the NFL and a ton of college CB are just converted WR who had no hands or were too small.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I'm stunned.  I know he has disappeared this year, and Arrington seems to have replaced him, but I figured he was hurt again.  WOW.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

It is what it is. I'm as surprised as everyone else. I hardly noticed him in the Cowboys game, however I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing. Was he locking down his man, or was he not on the field?

Either way, all I can do as a fan is move on. I'm surprised, but I trust the decisions of Bill Belichick, and given that we have McCourty (a very good CB), Arrington (surprisingly good, and hopefully will improve), Dowling (has looked like our best CB when on the field), and Molden (has looked impressive when on field), I expect us to be fine.

Surprised, but I also trust in Belichick, and have faith that he's making the decisions that he feels are best for the team. Ultimately I expect us to be fine without him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

Who  is being the troll now? I thought you  i\live breated ib Bill we trust?

I agree with what you are saying about this transaction.... however in the past you put it to everyone who questioned BB moves!

I am shocked he took that route. He was ideal in that star role, even if it limited his snaps a bit.  It was basically how GB uses Woodson. It seemed to be working very well other than he had a groin tweak in recent weeks and wasn't full guns quite yet. After he played in Cleveland and Detroit, to be close to making a SB run? What on earth is he thinking? I think it's a major mistake by both parties.  The guy is just starting to get back into the groove now.  Again, shocking decision. Watch the Jets pick him up. Jesus. Whoever gets him will get a bargain and a very good player for the rest of the year. With Dowling down, this puts major pressure on Arrigton and Molden now.  I liked what I saw from Molden, but you have to question the depth, especially with what this means heading into a road game against a team that can make plays in the passing game. It must have gone sour somehow in terms of how he saw his playing time. I'll say this, if this team doesn't look good in the pass defense on Sunday, BB will be under fire for this decision, or at least the timing of it. McCourty has been worse so far, so something had to have happened in terms of what they wanted, the PUP situation, and money. Bizarre, though. I can't think of a midseason release in BB's tenure as odd as this.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I'm surprised. He hasn't been good this year but there was a time when he was good- which is more than I can say for most of the CBs on the team now. I give. BB the benefit of the doubt here, nobody gets cut by the Pats and does great things.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Who  is being the troll now? I thought you  i\live breated ib Bill we trust? I agree with what you are saying about this transaction.... however in the past you put it to everyone who questioned BB moves! In Response to Re: Patriots Release Leigh Bodden :
    Posted by Hoier

This has nothing to do with BB.  Players come and go all the time.  The Pats keep on winning.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

I think someone mentioned Adaulius Thomas early.  I think BB's experience with that situation was what made him cut Bodden rather quickly.

I think Bodden was hurt (groin, thumb) and underperforming and then complained about his playing time and being used in the slot.  BB didnt want another AT situation that lingers the whole year so he let him go.  I don't know if he thinks any of the other CB's are that much better then Bodden but I don't think he wanted the distraction in the locker room of an unhappy player.  Now if the player was performing well, then things maybe different, but Bodden wasn't playing well, he mouthed off, he got cut.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots Release Leigh Bodden : Against the Jets? Oh, wait.  Raiders was Week 4. Sorry, I meant Week 5.  Week 6. Right, he tweaked the groin in Buffalo, was held out in Oakland, with Molden getting reps and Brown's whiff on that play from him. I thought he did well against the Jets and helping against Dallas.  Keller and Witten did nothing.

Wasn't Ninkovich hammering Whitten at the line on almost every play and didn't that have a major impact on his lack of activity in the dallas game?  I mean no disrepect to our former corner back.  Might have been the same for Keller.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots Release Leigh Bodden : No, no. Not at all. Anyone can question anything as long they can sort of back up the premise.  Trolls or irrationals come in here and just willdy throw things at the wall that aren't representative of WORSE situations on MOST, if not all other 31 NFL teams. At the end of it all, BB makes a lot of great decisions. I made mine clear and it mirrors what Vertigo just said, as well as what Mighty just said. If you look at the other posts of mine you'll see I am just saying it's a risky move, but also they must like what Molden is doing and 9/10 when BB rattles the cage  like this it works.  It just does. Usually, the team responds in such a fashion that they go into an overdrive. It didn't work in 2003 I think because Milloy was captain and it had happened literally 4 days prior to the actual game.  This is close to that, but obviously Bodden wasn't the guy MIlloy was to those teams, etc. This is more shocking to me than the Moss trade last year, because I could see the writing on the wall with Moss and liked the trade for the team's purposes (more balance, more running, etc), and before he was physically dealt away, we heard rumblings of Moss's behavior and his Week 1 press conference. If Bodden was being a distraction, I am all for releasing him in this way. I just hope it doesn/t burn them this week in Pitt, especially with DOwling. 3 CBs for this game who have a clue?  Not ideal. That's all. If NE wins this game, they are in a driver's seat for the #1 seed and will continue to distance themselves from the Jets.

Rusty King why are you sooooo concerned about this week?  It's Pitts and Big Ben.  You know the guy you bash and trash everytime there is a post about who are the best QB's in the game.  Should be no problem this week.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FLY2K. Show FLY2K's posts

We went 14-2 last year without him. At this point Kyle is better.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Okay, chaulk me up as surprised as everyone else for the most part. IF this is to make room for Brace or Deaderick, I don't get it. How many DL's do we carry? Look at our CB depth chart right now...its downriight troubling. Add this to our secondary woes, and we won't be able to stop any good passing team unless we get pressure from teh front 7 more frequently. I'm getting tired of the CB merry go round here, plus drafting players that are injury prone. Why for the life of me can't we draft 1 decent corner other than DMC in the past 5 years with so many picks dedicated to the position?.... Agree on Samuel. He like Bodden has to clear waivers. The Pats are way down on the waiver totem pole. Even if Sameul wasn't claimed, do we still think BB would pick him up and pay him on his current, remaining contract?...
    Posted by PatsLifer

Why is anyone surprised by these cuts? Or the cuts of TBC? Or Moore? Or any of the other dead weight BB has been steadily jettisoning since the lost last post-season? 

Given how the defense has performed the last two seasons, in the postseason especially, there are probably only 4-6 players on the defense from those seasons with 'safe' jobs, and half of them are 'safe' because they are still developmental. 

BB is straight up cleaning house on a defense that wasn't good. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from profootball. Show profootball's posts

The Pats need to make a room for Kevin, Dearick and etc.  Moreover, Leigh Boden is not in the form that he used to be.  He is slower compare to the other CBs.
    Just because this move, people thought the Pats will have problem with the Steelers.  Think again!! Pats 31 Steelers 27.
    Keep your head up, Pats fans
    In Response to Patriots Release Leigh Bodden:

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Dowling did not practice again today, so count him out.
    Had to be something that happened today.
    Then again, people have been scratching their heads as to why BB has been holding on to those 2 CBs.  Maybe it's been brewing.  Who the he11 knows.
    Don't think we ever will.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots Release Leigh Bodden : Why is anyone surprised by these cuts? Or the cuts of TBC? Or Moore? Or any of the other dead weight BB has been steadily jettisoning since the lost last post-season?  Given how the defense has performed the last two seasons, in the postseason especially, there are probably only 4-6 players on the defense from those seasons with 'safe' jobs, and half of them are 'safe' because they are still developmental.  BB is straight up cleaning house on a defense that wasn't good. 
    Posted by zbellino

Right. BB is done screwing around. He wants to win the SB NOW.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots Release Leigh Bodden : Except if he's picked up, the other team pays the remaining portion, so it could be about roster balancing and PUPs as well. Absolutely, that could tie into it since NE is juggling the roster right now with depth at DL and RB. We're all sitting here wondering who gets cut with regars to the PUP. Well, there's one move and an absolute stunner at that. Of course it could be about money as a portion of the reasoning.

Once again, it is not money. The Pats are responsible for his contract for the year unless he is claimed on waivers, upon which that team will be responsible for the remainder of the contract. They will be lucky and save money only if someone claims him on waivers.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

I'm not sure why Dowling's name keeps coming up in this post.  If you aren't on high red alert with this guy then you haven't been paying attention.  Did he look like our best corner when he was out there?  Absolutely.  Is he living up to the reason he wasn't ranked the best CB coming out of college?  Absolutely. 

Can't put any faith on this guy seeing the field again at this point, or being able to last very long if he does.  This is a guy you cross your fingers and pray on, not someone you bank on.  Surely BB must be thinking along the same lines at this point, which makes Bodden's release that much more of a head scratcher. 

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots Release Leigh Bodden : Once again, it is not money. The Pats are responsible for his contract for the year unless he is claimed on waivers, upon which that team will be responsible for the remainder of the contract. They will be lucky and save money only if someone claims him on waivers.
    Posted by sml1210

Exactly. This from ProFootballTalk.com:  

"Bodden has a base salary of $3.9 million in 2011.  Since the trade deadline has passed, he’ll be subject to waivers.  If claimed, his new team would absorb the balance, which is $2.064 million.  (He’ll be paid by the Patriots for Week Eight, even though he has been cut.)  If he’s not claimed, Bodden will be entitled to receive the balance of his salary via the termination pay provision of the CBA.": http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/28/pats-cut-leigh-bodden/

Sections
Shortcuts