Patriots Release Leigh Bodden

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Re: Patriots Release Leigh Bodden

Thanks for nothing Leigh, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots Release Leigh Bodden:
    [QUOTE]I am shocked he took that route. He was ideal in that star role, even if it limited his snaps a bit.  It was basically how GB uses Woodson. It seemed to be working very well other than he had a groin tweak in recent weeks and wasn't full guns quite yet. After he played in Cleveland and Detroit, to be close to making a SB run? What on earth is he thinking? I think it's a major mistake by both parties.  The guy is just starting to get back into the groove now.  Again, shocking decision. Watch the Jets pick him up. Jesus. Whoever gets him will get a bargain and a very good player for the rest of the year. With Dowling down, this puts major pressure on Arrigton and Molden now.  I liked what I saw from Molden, but you have to question the depth, especially with what this means heading into a road game against a team that can make plays in the passing game. It must have gone sour somehow in terms of how he saw his playing time. I'll say this, if this team doesn't look good in the pass defense on Sunday, BB will be under fire for this decision, or at least the timing of it. McCourty has been worse so far, so something had to have happened in terms of what they wanted, the PUP situation, and money. Bizarre, though. I can't think of a midseason release in BB's tenure as odd as this.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

I think he wasn't very happy with his new 'star role'.....  That's the only thing I can think of at this time and moment.... shocked.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots Release Leigh Bodden : He let Samuel play out his contract and Law was like 6x more expensive than Bodden.  Considering Bodden's salary and lack of playing time I don't think BB was that happy with his play.
    Posted by 423206852231dc13f5b2e36577a3bcfa[/QUOTE]

Law was also coming off of a foot injury as well. His cap figure was astronomical. He was lobbying for a new contract to boot. 

In a manner of speaking, every cut in the NFL is about money. And every cut is about performance. A small few cuts are also about "attitude" and effect in the locker room, though I wouldn't class this in with those. 

It's typically crystal clear when a player is in the doghouse here. 

The message is pretty easy to decipher. BB likes DMC, Molden, Arrington better than the a configuration that includes Bodden for the price he was getting paid. He was beaten out by Ras-I "Injury Bug" Dowling in game one, right out of camp, and pushed to the slot. He gave up 93 yards to Bess there. And he started losing playing time after the Buffalo game where he gave up a 33 gacker to Johnson and 48 yarder to Donald Jones, of all people. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Bodden was released, talk about a head scratcher!

What is the status of Ras-I Dowling? Is he ready to play? He looked decent against San Diego before getting hurt, any chance he will be ready for Pittsburgh?

I don't get this move at all...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Not me, never been a big fan, sorry. Bodden is a fineness player and was never a hitter so how he would have transitioned to Safety escapes me. Safeties need to be young, powerful and play with little regard for their health.

Again, keep an eye on him, he’ll be on the IR somewhere before the season ends.

The October, 2011 version of Bodden had(s) reached the end of the line.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I doubt it's money related.....but if in the small chance it is......maybe an extension for Welker?

Nah, probably not.  I can hope though.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hang3xc. Show hang3xc's posts

[QUOTE]Has to be money or BB's annual "shake up" move. 

Why do you keep saying money? If he's not picked up off waivers then the Pat's have to keep paying him anyway, and who would want him??? He was excellent when we got him, then he missed an entire season, now he SUCKS SO BAD that BB DUMPED him 2 days before a huge game.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Well, in BB we trust. He knows more about the situation then us.

Im hoping this means Ras-I has improved and is close to ready to get on the field.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots Release Leigh Bodden :     Amen, brother. BB's silence speaks volumes. As I stated months ago, over some heavy criticism by certain koolaiders, Bodden couldn't be counted on. He was overrated, and injury prone.      Ras-I Dowling can play. His ability to stay healthy will go a long way towards how successful the Pats will be this season.   
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

He may have been overrated on this forum a little. But that was only after a very good his first season here. That had people talking about him like he was Ty Law part deux, which was not the case. 

But he missed last season ... as we know. And wasn't even close to the form he was in in that first season this year. 

He missed the Raiders game. And lost playing time to Molden in the next couple games. I think the re-addition of the players that BB brought in to replace the JAGS from last season (AH for instance) probably had more to do with the improved defensive performance ... but Molden has not been blowing coverages. 

If his performance is equal to Bodden's at a cheaper price ... that is the reason for the move. 

In the end, this is one more player from the 2009->2010 defense that is now gone. Right now the only guys that remain as starters are Mayo, Wilfork, Chung, Spikes, Arrington, and DMC. Guyton is still on as a sub that sees heavy action. 

The turnover is tremendous. Though, judging from their work against Dallas, it looks like it might be paying dividends. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots Release Leigh Bodden : You're dumb at times. Did you just say Bodden counted be counted on and then say Dowling "can play"?? Did you really just form both sentences?

RESPONSE: "...Bodden counted be counted on..." And I'm dumb?

Dowling hasn't played in a month can't currrently practice! Watch the games much?

RESPONSE:  In the limited action that Dowling has had, he's shown promise. He can play. The issue with him has always been...can he stay healthy?

The dead giveaway about the quality of play issue is Mccourty was worse so far this season (albeit better in recent weeks), and we have NO IDEA what Molden will do in extended reps during games. You're daft if you think we know what Molden will look like on Sunday.

RESPONSE: I really have no idea what you're talking about here, Russ. Obviously, BB felt that Bodden wasn't cutting it. So, how much worse can the next man up be?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]Well, in BB we trust. He knows more about the situation then us. Im hoping this means Ras-I has improved and is close to ready to get on the field.
    Posted by GadisRKO[/QUOTE]

I try not to get my hopes up there. I was unsure of the selection because I don't like injury risks. Then he came out of camp and beat out Arrington and Bodden to start week one, which was a big thing. How often does BB start rookies?

But then ... injured ... as if on cue. 

I think it puts MORE spotlight on Molden going forward, because as the roster has looked the last few games, he'll be taking the reps.

Also, didn't Ras-I miss another practice? 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots Release Leigh Bodden : He may have been overrated on this forum a little. But that was only after a very good his first season here. That had people talking about him like he was Ty Law part deux, which was not the case.  But he missed last season ... as we know. And wasn't even close to the form he was in in that first season this year.  He missed the Raiders game. And lost playing time to Molden in the next couple games. I think the re-addition of the players that BB brought in to replace the JAGS from last season (AH for instance) probably had more to do with the improved defensive performance ... but Molden has not been blowing coverages.  If his performance is equal to Bodden's at a cheaper price ... that is the reason for the move.  In the end, this is one more player from the 2009- />2010 defense that is now gone. Right now the only guys that remain as starters are Mayo, Wilfork, Chung, Spikes, Arrington, and DMC. Guyton is still on as a sub that sees heavy action.  The turnover is tremendous. Though, judging from their work against Dallas, it looks like it might be paying dividends. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

The bottom line is that, for whatever reason, the 2009-10 "D" wasn't getting it done. Hopefully, the "new blood" infused in the present "D" will. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

I believe that Bodden was still fighting injuries and complaining about his role on the team.  Knowing how BB works, more than likely Bodden complained and BB cut him.  End of the complaints.  I do not think he ever 100% recovered from last year.  This year, he has been on the injury report almost every week. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

didn't see it coming, but as time goes bye, as with many of BB's head scratcher's,  it is likely to become a productive move for the team.  Maybe it is just a money and numbers thing, but there is something about when we are all caught a little off guard by one of his moves that makes me feel there is something better about their chances today than there was yesterday.  

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Your guy Rusty.. LMAO...

do you believe me now?

I told you he wasnt right this year and now look, he has been released.... and I know its probably  injury related but this is what I warned you about, when you kept gloating about how much better we would be when he returned.  You said he would be starting monday night against the fins...

So much for the most underated, best valued player around. All i can say is I hope Ras is ready to go.  Didnt practice yesterday...

It isnt good, but not terrible either, as he was up and down all year and had more penalties than picks...

Im sorry for your loss Rusty...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots Release Leigh Bodden : No. If a team signs him, they play out the rest of his salary, just as if he was traded. Why do you keep acting confused on such a basic fact? If he "sucks so bad" (good thing you put that in capitals little boy) then what was McCourty this year? Stop washing BB's balls. It's a huge risk without Dowling returning.

It's not quite that simple wonderboy.

If a team claims him on waivers they are responsible for his contract. If he passes waivers he is a FA and if he doesn't sign we are on the hook for his remaining salary.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I don't see what the big mystery is here. The guy played well to get a big contract (for him). So now he is milking it. We've seen this story a thousand times before. So has BB. And apparently BB has seen enough.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

<<The first thought that came to mind when I heard of Bodden’s release was when I saw him in the locker room yesterday, he wasn’t walking well. I think health has been an issue for him and it has affected his play. Whether he wanted to sit and the team thought he should play or vice versa, I don’t know. I find it curious that his agent, Alvin Keels, put out a statement that said Bodden was healthy. Obviously it's an issue.>> 

This from Greg Bedard.

If Bedard is to be believed then Bodden isn't completely healthy.

In my judgement, money was not the issue; performance was.  The guy has not played well this year in games that I have seen him play in my opinion.

Dowling is a rookie with, at least for now, some health issues.  BB invested a 2nd round pick (valued as a first because of where he was chosen); I can understand why he wouldn't cut him.