Patriots Release Leigh Bodden

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: Patriots Release Leigh Bodden

In Response to Re: Patriots Release Leigh Bodden:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots Release Leigh Bodden : That's correct. But, you can't just say it's "not about money", when it's ALWAYS at least partially about money in business or in the NFL with a salary cap and balancing a roster. Some people here have no semblance of a clue of that concept, including the guy who chimed in acting confused. 
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

I agree. Money might have had something to do with it. But if his play was sufficient the money would not be a factor.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrocktonMike. Show BrocktonMike's posts

[QUOTE]Chung has been, too. Every player gets some kind of ding and with how the NFL wants injury reports, most teams lis tthe smallest of tweaks as an injury. Just saying. The groin wasn't reported this week, so that told me he just has the broken thumb issue that's healing. The team is 5-1 and their lone loss was due to 4 INTs.   BB is likely ready to add Faulk and his salary to the roster for starters. I cringe with this because we see Arrington shake off dings during games. NE is REALLY thin right now at CB and Safety.  BB either has some wild, master plan that will be genius or we aren't going deep in the playoffs yet again. Back in 2004, you could roll out the Poteats, Morelands and even a steady Randall Gay because you had Samuel and a top notch front 7.  This front 7 is good, but it's not 2004 level. Barring a distraction a la Samuel, it's definitely a risky move.

I'm thinking it's probably not Kevin right away, our current O is strong. 

I'm thinking BB's looking at Big Ben & Wallace.  We don't have anyone fast enough to keep up with Wallace, so our best defense against him may be forcing Ben out of the pocket, making him throw on the run or off balance.  This would require the D line breaking down the pocket. 

If my theory is correct, I'd expect BB is going to fill that spot with one of the D linemen.  Probably Brace.  We're going to need lots of fresh bodies to rush Ben, making him throw sooner than he wants to.

Of course, I've been known to be wrong before.

"I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong."
    Bertrand Russell

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

[QUOTE]Some NFL team who has RCB starting issues is about to land a very good starting CB at a bargain price in 2011. I just REALLY hope it's not an AFC team.

The dude is hurt....why do you keep acting like he is something great.  Showed nothing this year to me besides a couple good breakups, but the bad plays outweighed the good. He has to be hurt and that means he will be hurt wherever he goes.

So far as his replacement???  Why are we worried when he wasnt starting?  He needs no replacement.  Molden just steps up to Nickel unless Ras is ready.  S. brown can play dime back, and Arrington has already proved he can start last year and is 2nd in the league in INT's

We are fine...we need the d-line help and Faulks catching ability for screens

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

Looks like we're drafting another corner in the 1st round next year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from flutie66. Show flutie66's posts

i thinki its pretty clear this was not a move the BB was thinking about last week.  if he had been planning on doing this, he would have cut him after the dallas game, not after a bye week and a few days before a huge game that he has most likely been practicing as a starter for.  obviously something came up in the last few days.  im thinking PUP people are getting healthy, or he really wants chris harris whom was released yesterday.

if he wanted to do this move, he would have done it almost 2 weeks ago.  sometihng happened in the last day or two that made him change his mind

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots Release Leigh Bodden :      The bottom line is that, for whatever reason, the 2009-10 "D" wasn't getting it done. Hopefully, the "new blood" infused in the present "D" will. 
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Kind of funny referring to Albert Haynesworth, Andre Carter, Mark Anderson, and dinosauric Shaun Ellis as "new blood", but outside of Ellis, each has been more impressive than their counterparts from last season ... even if it has been sporadic, as in Haynesworth's case.

Though the guys they replaced were not really lighting the world on fire either. TBC is not even in the NFL right now, nor is Eric Moore. Cunningham has a grand total of 34 snaps in his second season. Meriweather and Sanders are battling for starting spots on their teams. 

BB may have a mixed record of late drafting and signing defensive players, but he rarely (if ever) makes mistakes with his 'cuts.' So I don't see why I should doubt him on this one.  

I also think Ihedigbo looked credible in the last two ... he made some mistakes, especially letting a play get behind him against the Jets. But nothing as tragic as Barrett/Brown had looked, and he's been more athletic than Sanders had looked previously.

He does hit like a truck, which I like.

Though to be fair ... cover one wasn't doing this defense (it's safeties/outside corners in particular) any favors the first few games. And they aren't allowed to interfere on every play like the Jets are, lol, which makes the amount of cover-1 they play that much easier. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Umm, you have no better chance to do that than here. Your team is 5-1 off a Bye, your QB is Brady and your coach is BB. 

If you think you're going to have a chance to be a starter on a SB team right now, you're wrong.

You'll start and be on a crappier team

Rusty get over it....are you gonna spend all day trying to justify it?, and why are you talking like Bodden wanted to be released....what info do you have?

He has been slow for a while....wont say he is old, but I told you this and you said so was Ty Law..only difference is Ty LAw is a hall of famer most likey and noone will talk about Bodden after his career is over....lol

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]I don't see it as milking it.  He got hurt in 2010. What are you going to do? Stuff happens. He had a great Week 1, a sketchy Week 2 as did the entire secondary against a tough SD pass offense, a sketchy Week 3, a really good Week 4 and a good Week 5. Even in limited snaps which was likely due to his groin issue since Buffalo, he was effective, mostly in the slot role. NE is in great position literally looking at 3 potential key players off a PUP here.  Most teams have nowhere near the luxury. Clearly, he fell out of favor as the overpaid guy up against some future roster moves. It's just shocking they'd choose him now, not address a trade last week, etc, with Dowling down. I don't feel too comfortable with Josh Victorin and Sterling Moore as the 4th CB. If there was a time to question a BB move this year, I'd say this is it.

I don't question BB's coaching or outgoing moves like some.

Maybe he wasn't milking it. But sure as hell we have seen the big contract signed and the injuries and lesser play follow over and over and over again throughout the NFL.

If his function here was good enough he would still be here. Of that I have little doubt.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

King,

Bodden was inactive Week 4.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Having a good camp really means nothing..

anyone can look good in practice against the guys you see every day...lol

How many guys can we say looked good in camp?

the writing was on the wall, I told you in august, but your man love for Bodden was blinding you from the facts....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots Release Leigh Bodden : I'm thinking it's probably not Kevin right away, our current O is strong.  I'm thinking BB's looking at Big Ben & Wallace.  We don't have anyone fast enough to keep up with Wallace, so our best defense against him may be forcing Ben out of the pocket, making him throw on the run or off balance.  This would require the D line breaking down the pocket.  If my theory is correct, I'd expect BB is going to fill that spot with one of the D linemen.  Probably Brace.  We're going to need lots of fresh bodies to rush Ben, making him throw sooner than he wants to. Of course, I've been known to be wrong before. "I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong." Bertrand Russell
    Posted by BrocktonMike[/QUOTE]

I'm REALLY interested in Brace.

He has been inredibly mixed here, with some good plays, mostly outweighed (lol, literally) by failed physicals, injuries, and some lackluster play out of the gates.

But Ne now plays 4-3 as it's base, and has been increasing it's straight 4-3 looks the last few weeks (36.4% against the Cowboys). Brace played that in college, and looked best in that role last season during 4 man subs. He even flashed some legitimate penetration on late downs.

This is probably a make or break half-season for the kid. So if he gets reps, people will be looking on with interest. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from murghkhor. Show murghkhor's posts

Leigh Bodden was the new Tully Banta Cain. Journeyman player has 1 good year, gets awesome 4 year contract, followed by complete lack of effort, followed by release.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]Leigh Bodden was the new Tully Banta Cain. Journeyman player has 1 good year, gets awesome 4 year contract, followed by complete lack of effort, followed by release.
    Posted by murghkhor[/QUOTE]

bingo.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots Release Leigh Bodden : Against the Jets? Oh, wait.  Raiders was Week 4. Sorry, I meant Week 5.  Week 6. Right, he tweaked the groin in Buffalo, was held out in Oakland with Molden getting reps and Brown's whiff on that play from him.

No worries, man.  You're one of the smartest Pats fans I've seen post so I figured you might have confused one of the weeks.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Petey King's thoughts...

What happened to Leigh Bodden? ProFootballTalk.com reports today that Bodden was fired by the Patriots today. New England's not exactly a cornerback-rich team. Troubling for them that their most veteran cover guy gets whacked two days before such a big test against Pittsburgh. Bodden will likely turn out to be one of the worst free-agent signings in Patriot history. The team committed $13.9-million on his last year and this year, and got almost nothing out of it.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

I just like Petey's writing.  ProFootballTalk.com reports today that Bodden was fired by the Patriots today.  Repetitive, much?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

[QUOTE]Three possibilities: 1.  Bodden never quite recovered from his injury, and he's a step slower. 2.  BB thinks just a bit highly of one or all of the unknown cornerbacks. 3.  The space was needed for Kevin Faulk, Ron Brace, Marcus Cannon and/or Brandon Deaderick, proven players.
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]

I think you couple #1 with the fact that Bodden does not play special teams and you have an answer.  If you're not one of the top two corners on the team and you don't play special teams and you can't get on the field on a regular basis, you are soon gone, especially after you get the big contract, sit out a year and then come back as not quite the guy we used to know.

Don't know about #2 being a reason for this.

Lastly, there are other players on the roster who could have been cut to make room for those coming off the PUP.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sveltics. Show Sveltics's posts

#1 If Asante is released, he has to pass through waivers....lots of interference before the Patriots can make and take the claim, if in fact he is on BBs radar.

#2 Bodden's release is probably related to several factors. He's hurting, the chances of him being picked up (and salary relief for Pats - lower now, but increasing throughout the season.), the health of Ras-I, and the nebulous factors that do not seep out of the Patriot's lockerroom, at least not now.

All in all its a surprise to me, but who am I, just a fan. The only fact we know is that it frees up a roster spot, probably for Brace or Dederick.

I would be very surprised if this is the only roster move before the Giants game.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts