Notice: All Boston.com forums will be retired as of May 31st, 2016 and will not be archived. Thank you for your participation in this community, and we hope you continue to enjoy other content at Boston.com.

Patriots Release Leigh Bodden

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

Re: Patriots Release Leigh Bodden

Who  is being the troll now? I thought you  i\live breated ib Bill we trust?

I agree with what you are saying about this transaction.... however in the past you put it to everyone who questioned BB moves!

In Response to Re: Patriots Release Leigh Bodden:
    I am shocked he took that route. He was ideal in that star role, even if it limited his snaps a bit.  It was basically how GB uses Woodson. It seemed to be working very well other than he had a groin tweak in recent weeks and wasn't full guns quite yet. After he played in Cleveland and Detroit, to be close to making a SB run? What on earth is he thinking? I think it's a major mistake by both parties.  The guy is just starting to get back into the groove now.  Again, shocking decision. Watch the Jets pick him up. Jesus. Whoever gets him will get a bargain and a very good player for the rest of the year. With Dowling down, this puts major pressure on Arrigton and Molden now.  I liked what I saw from Molden, but you have to question the depth, especially with what this means heading into a road game against a team that can make plays in the passing game. It must have gone sour somehow in terms of how he saw his playing time. I'll say this, if this team doesn't look good in the pass defense on Sunday, BB will be under fire for this decision, or at least the timing of it. McCourty has been worse so far, so something had to have happened in terms of what they wanted, the PUP situation, and money. Bizarre, though. I can't think of a midseason release in BB's tenure as odd as this.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I'm surprised. He hasn't been good this year but there was a time when he was good- which is more than I can say for most of the CBs on the team now. I give. BB the benefit of the doubt here, nobody gets cut by the Pats and does great things.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Who  is being the troll now? I thought you  i\live breated ib Bill we trust? I agree with what you are saying about this transaction.... however in the past you put it to everyone who questioned BB moves! In Response to Re: Patriots Release Leigh Bodden :
    Posted by Hoier

This has nothing to do with BB.  Players come and go all the time.  The Pats keep on winning.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots Release Leigh Bodden : Against the Jets? Oh, wait.  Raiders was Week 4. Sorry, I meant Week 5.  Week 6. Right, he tweaked the groin in Buffalo, was held out in Oakland, with Molden getting reps and Brown's whiff on that play from him. I thought he did well against the Jets and helping against Dallas.  Keller and Witten did nothing.

Wasn't Ninkovich hammering Whitten at the line on almost every play and didn't that have a major impact on his lack of activity in the dallas game?  I mean no disrepect to our former corner back.  Might have been the same for Keller.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FLY2K. Show FLY2K's posts

We went 14-2 last year without him. At this point Kyle is better.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from profootball. Show profootball's posts

The Pats need to make a room for Kevin, Dearick and etc.  Moreover, Leigh Boden is not in the form that he used to be.  He is slower compare to the other CBs.
    Just because this move, people thought the Pats will have problem with the Steelers.  Think again!! Pats 31 Steelers 27.
    Keep your head up, Pats fans
    In Response to Patriots Release Leigh Bodden:

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Dowling did not practice again today, so count him out.
    Had to be something that happened today.
    Then again, people have been scratching their heads as to why BB has been holding on to those 2 CBs.  Maybe it's been brewing.  Who the he11 knows.
    Don't think we ever will.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots Release Leigh Bodden : Except if he's picked up, the other team pays the remaining portion, so it could be about roster balancing and PUPs as well. Absolutely, that could tie into it since NE is juggling the roster right now with depth at DL and RB. We're all sitting here wondering who gets cut with regars to the PUP. Well, there's one move and an absolute stunner at that. Of course it could be about money as a portion of the reasoning.

Once again, it is not money. The Pats are responsible for his contract for the year unless he is claimed on waivers, upon which that team will be responsible for the remainder of the contract. They will be lucky and save money only if someone claims him on waivers.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

I'm not sure why Dowling's name keeps coming up in this post.  If you aren't on high red alert with this guy then you haven't been paying attention.  Did he look like our best corner when he was out there?  Absolutely.  Is he living up to the reason he wasn't ranked the best CB coming out of college?  Absolutely. 

Can't put any faith on this guy seeing the field again at this point, or being able to last very long if he does.  This is a guy you cross your fingers and pray on, not someone you bank on.  Surely BB must be thinking along the same lines at this point, which makes Bodden's release that much more of a head scratcher. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots Release Leigh Bodden : Why is anyone surprised by these cuts? Or the cuts of TBC? Or Moore? Or any of the other dead weight BB has been steadily jettisoning since the lost last post-season?  Given how the defense has performed the last two seasons, in the postseason especially, there are probably only 4-6 players on the defense from those seasons with 'safe' jobs, and half of them are 'safe' because they are still developmental.  BB is straight up cleaning house on a defense that wasn't good. 
    Posted by zbellino

You couldn't be more right and you'll soon be labeled an irrational by the village idiot. The truth is there are too many players on this defense that aren't very good. Bodden was a guy I liked two years ago, the injury obviously wiped out last season and he's been injured for much of this season and not played well. You have to say to yourself, is it ever going to work out with some of these guys? How long can you wait? You're either a good player, or you're a player that is always going to have nagging injuries, that is not helping. This guy had a history of that, and an nfl career just doesn't last long enough to miss this much time or be injured that much.

Wish this thing could of worked out two years ago when or when we signed him to his big payday. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots Release Leigh Bodden : That's correct. But, you can't just say it's "not about money", when it's ALWAYS at least partially about money in business or in the NFL with a salary cap and balancing a roster. Some people here have no semblance of a clue of that concept, including the guy who chimed in acting confused. 

Wow. You're not very bright.

This move has no impact on their cap space UNLESS SOMEONE CLAIMS HIM ON WAIVERS AND RELIEVES THEM OF THEIR LIABILITY.

You obviously are making the quantum leap that someone will automatically claim him and thus this is some brilliant roster manuever. Try not making quantum leaps into some other dimension and try dealing with the facts.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots Release Leigh Bodden : last year, stung. 2009? Come on. That team was clearly not ready to win  SB by selling Seymour and Vrabel to commit to a rebuilding mode before the lockout. 2009 didn't sting remotely near 2007, losing Brady in 2008 or l;ast year's terrible offensive performance off a Bye week.

So what are you saying, that we could of won a Super Bowl if we kept Seymore and Vrabel? And why are you so hooked on this "rebuilding for the lockout mode"? Last time I checked we and about everybody else in the NFL had 10 plus million left to play with after this dreaded lockout/uncertain future/the new NFL came and went. Yawn. Truth is our offense is not the problem, nor is the impending doom (that never came) lockout. It's our defensive personnel.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hang3xc. Show hang3xc's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots Release Leigh Bodden : No. If a team signs him, they play out the rest of his salary, just as if he was traded. Why do you keep acting confused on such a basic fact? If he "sucks so bad" (good thing you put that in capitals little boy) then what was McCourty this year? Stop washing BB's balls. It's a huge risk without Dowling returning.

ittle boy? You resort to name calling??? Really?? By the why, a "little boy" could understand what I wrote. How bout you?

Where did I say that he gets paid if a team signs him??? Why do you get confused understanding what you read. I said if he ISN'T claimed off waivers then the Pats pay him for the rest of the year.

If he "sucks so bad" then what was McCourty this year?

What??? That sentence doesn't make sense

But, what McCourty is, is the future. He is young enough and skilled enough to improve greatly, especially based on last years performance. He also doesn't get hurt all the time. He's on his way up, Bodden was quickly on his way down.

By the way, I rip on the Pat's quite a bit. I don't wash anyone's balls but my own, thanks.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Bodden can not play the slot

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts