Patriots release Shiancoe and place Stallworth on IR

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Patriots release Shiancoe and place Stallworth on IR

Mike Petraglia         Mike Petraglia @Trags

This is a stunner... Donte' Stallworth on IR with (ankle)... There were NO signs of this in-game or post-game Monday.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Re: Patriots release Shiancoe and place Stallworth on IR

Time for Branch

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Wow stallworth looked ok.  Well t least he kept the ball.  It might be his last td. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Mike Reiss         Mike Reiss @MikeReiss

TE Visanthe Shiancoe has been released, Patriots announce. Shiancoe signing ($1.2m) did not produce desired results. Just 59 snaps played.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

dang, i thought stallworth played great!

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Reiss said in his Q and A today that Branch's locker was still intact

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Benjohn2. Show Benjohn2's posts

In response to dmpc's comment:

Gronk is coming back...

Branch is back!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Well there we go folks....

shalise manza young

shalise manza young @shalisemyoung

told Stallworth suffered ankle injury...and prayers answered, boys & girls: Deion Branch is coming back

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Next year we will have Gronk , Hernandez and Ballard     I don't think Gronk will get snaps till Miami just to get some game speed reps.  The fracture needs time to get strong and the muscles are weak.  

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

Next year we will have Gronk , Hernandez and Ballard     I don't think Gronk will get snaps till Miami just to get some game speed reps.  The fracture needs time to get strong and the muscles are weak.  

Shiancoe was released which means Gronk will probably be active this week, as he's been "practicing".

Even so you push that injury less then a month before the playoffs?  They can rest him as long as necessary.  shianco dropping mallets rocket was his death.  Ha ha 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Uhhh this is a shocker...

Stallworth looked pretty good last night in limited reps.  His speed certainly stretched the field, which is something we've lacked.  I'd rather him over Branch at this point.

As some have suggested, I think this means we'll see the return of the Gronk earlier than expected.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxxcrwn. Show xxxcrwn's posts

Why didn't they just bring Branch back instead of Stallworth?

Because Stallworth brought more skill to a position of need. If he didn't get hurt Branch would still be unemployed. Time to find out if Branch has anything left.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

On the NFL network they're saying that Branch is coming back

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Unbelievable... Well if we've learned anything... Brady will handle it.  Its like an embarrassment of riches sometimes.  Welker gronk Hernandez Lloyd vereen.  How many balls can you spread around?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

I forgot woodhead... And fells...  and now branch.  I guess it makes sense.  If we're guessing imagine other teams trying to figure it out.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

They ought to bring back Gaffney maybe

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

That stinks. Doesn't kill us. But Branch can not stretch the field the same way Stallworth or even Edelman could.

He's no more than another possession receiver. As much as I love Branch, part of me wishes they just brought who ever the fastest receiver is on the FA market. 

You can probably go man to man on Branch with your 3rd or 4th best cb. At least when it comes to speed, you have to have someone who can go toe to toe. 

Pats screwed up with their I.R. desgination. Should've been Demps instead of Shiancoe. If Gronk and Hern were never hurt, would Shiancoe even see any snaps?

Demps held value as a returner and rb (a position that was somewhat of a question mark coming into the season).

Also, don't know what they plan on doing with Demps for next season, considering we are have good rb depth now, but I hope they can work on his route running and make him a rb/wr hybrid.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:

They ought to bring back Gaffney maybe

That's what I thought.  With Stallworth going to IR and Shiancoe released, they've got two spots open. I continue to believe a deep threat would help the team.  Stallworth added a different dimension last night.  Gaffney might also be able to do that . . . but is his suspension still in effect?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

I must be missing something.  The Pats website shows 52 active without Branch.  They dropped 2 players (one to IR).  Did someone else get elevated from the PS?  I was expecting to see 51 active, or 52 with Branch.

http://www.patriots.com/team/roster.html

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

Bringing Branch back at this point may be a desperation move with Stallworth injured. If he had been really ready, the Pats would not have put in a claim for Binns last week, who ended up with MIA.  But it is interesting that the Pats cut Shiancoe. That created another open roster spot. Is there a promotion from the PS or will there be another signing?

Sections
Shortcuts